Regarding "broken street date" copies for sale.

edited April 2008 in Announcements
Hey all,

I just wanted to officially talk about the sudden influx of broken street date bundles that are being sold. First of all they aren't "real" versions of the game, they are demos for the store that are getting accidentally sold. Retailers don't have bundles sitting in the back room just waiting for November 20th. These demo builds are kind of hobbled - for one the drums don't have kick pedals. Some of the demos don't have mics. And the build isn't a full-real retail version of the game. It is hobbled a bit and, obviously, the bass drum autoplays since there is no pedal that comes with the demo.

I guess what I am saying is beware of any auctions that might show up the next few days, and please alert me to them if you see them as it is quite obviously a huge mistake. I know how badly y'all want to get your hands on the game but it is only 19 more days until it comes out.

Thanks,
Sean

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Xzyliac;98703 said:
    Poor people blowing their money.

Is there anyway to send a mass release to retailers reminding them the demos are just that and aren't made for selling?
    You mean other than the big letter on the demo copy that says "Dear {name of retailer} Manager - this is your demo!" Probably not so much with that.
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Thanks again Sean. Your awesome Sherriff moustache comes to the rescue once again. :D
  • AVC808AVC808 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    relief and crushing at the same time... :)
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Next time don't send it in a retail box, eh? ;)
  • Angry_GamesAngry_Games Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    hmxsean;98639 said:
    Hey all,

I just wanted to officially talk about the sudden influx of broken street date bundles that are being sold. First of all they aren't "real" versions of the game, they are demos for the store that are getting accidentally sold. Retailers don't have bundles sitting in the back room just waiting for November 20th. These demo builds are kind of hobbled - for one the drums don't have kick pedals. Some of the demos don't have mics. And the build isn't a full-real retail version of the game. It is hobbled a bit and, obviously, the bass drum autoplays since there is no pedal that comes with the demo.

I guess what I am saying is beware of any auctions that might show up the next few days, and please alert me to them if you see them as it is quite obviously a huge mistake. I know how badly y'all want to get your hands on the game but it is only 19 more days until it comes out.

Thanks,
    Sean
    thx for the heads-up sean. Lots of people might be fooled into buying one of these then of course come here screaming at you guys like it was your fault =/
  • DeaconDeacon Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    thanks for the news "Tat" i mean Sean ;) make sure you've set aside some time to rock the mic again in my band online.
  • PurpleHazePurpleHaze Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    hmxsean;98639 said:
    I know how badly y'all want to get your hands on the game but it is only 19 more days until it comes out.
    19 more days, I wish. I realise that US maps tend to depict a large "Beware: edge of the world" zone surrounding the US, but there are actually other countries out there ;)
  • Syko360Syko360 Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    PurpleHaze;98909 said:
    but there are actually other countries out there ;)
    You mean like Alaska and Hawaii ??! ;)
  • AVC808AVC808 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    more confirmation from CAG:

All right, to end this once and for all, the package I bought from Walmart is indeed a demo. The very first thing I found when I opened the box was a packet of papers that says
    "Dear WalMart Store Manager:
    Enclosed in this Rock Band demo kit are the following items:
    PS3 demo software
    Drum kit with stand
    Guitar controller
    Demo set-up instructions
    These items should be installed on the PS3 end cap in the Christmas Shop per the instructions from your merchandising team.

Turn up the volume and rock on!"

The rest of the packet contains instructions for setting up.
    Inside the box was the game in a crappy little paper sleeve, and it came with two smaller boxes containing a wired guitar (note that I bought a PS3 version, so this is probably to prevent people from stealing the guitar from the store) and a drum set. No sign of a microphone, just like the post on the Rockband forums mentioned. I'm kind of hesitant to open up either box, because I don't know if Walmart would still let me return this. Does anyone have any idea if I could just wait until November 20th and bring this to Walmart, claiming that it's defective, and then getting a new, real copy? Even if it's a demo, I still want to try it out before returning it, but I'm afraid if they won't allow me.
    edited November 2007
    AVC808: return it right away and print out sean's first post and have the links to this place etc so you can prove to them (talk to a manager as well as the managers are responsible for not letting these demo kits be sold).

Do it right away.
  • raregamerraregamer Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Haha, If you ask me he should open it and play as much as he wants. Then just take it back saying when i turned it on and set it up I realize this is not a retail version. What can they possibly do. You can always dispute it saying it was faulty sold if they said no. I doubt they will not return it though being it was indeed their huge mistake.
  • BiffManBiffMan Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    hmxsean;98740 said:
    You mean other than the big letter on the demo copy that says "Dear {name of retailer} Manager - this is your demo!" Probably not so much with that.
    In retrospect, seems that putting a big sticker or note or even just a simple "DEMO" scrawled in crayon across the box would have headed off most of these instances. The note inside the box is only helpful if they actually opened the box which they wouldn't generally do if they thought it was a live product.

That said, if you get only one copy of something in that shouldn't be out for another 3 weeks... well, stupid is as stupid does.
  • admanimaladmanimal Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Angry_Games;99096 said:
    AVC808: return it right away and print out sean's first post and have the links to this place etc so you can prove to them (talk to a manager as well as the managers are responsible for not letting these demo kits be sold).

Do it right away.
    He didn't buy it, someone else on another forum did.
  • crunchyoverseascrunchyoverseas Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'll pass on the demo for $170....

But, I went by Best Buy the other day just to check it out, and some 40 year old mom and her 8 year old daughter were playing like song after song, it was hilarious to watch...I have feeling this thing might be bigger than you expect.

Never got to play it (looking for big TV to add to my bundle :), but they were clearly having a blast and not the type to visit IGN or Gamespot (meaning you get an unconventional buyer)...

Good luck on launch, here's hoping you guys sell an a&&load (so I can get RB 2):D
  • HeadShaft713HeadShaft713 Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    hmxsean;98639 said:
    I guess what I am saying is beware of any auctions that might show up the next few days

Thanks,
    Sean

Click on this link so far for auction is $326

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Band-Demo-Special-Edition-for-Xbox-360_W0QQitemZ190169441521QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190169441521
    edited November 2007
    HeadShaft713;99399 said:
    Well at least he has it listed correctly as a demo.
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    admanimal;99404 said:
    Well at least he has it listed correctly as a demo.
    Yeah, he mentions it several times in the ad. But for the sake of argument, let's just say the price stays the same at 326. Then there is shipping which I think he said the lowest was 60. Then 60 more for the game since you get the instruments. (With or without a bass pedal, I don't know.)

Thats pushing 450 dollars with tax and such. How is that worth it to get a game 2 weeks early?

I'm losing faith in mankind...
    edited November 2007
    haha don't lose faith in mankind, just accept that people will buy and sell anything on ebay, no matter what it is.

I agree with previous poster saying maybe none of us realize just how big Rock Band might be. With plenty of moms and dads and grams and gramps playing Karaoke and Guitar Hero, this might just be everything the Wii basically is lol (a very family-friend-party oriented monster that might be a little slow in taking off, but the instant someone actually plays Rock Band or a Wii, they are hooked)
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    I had a feeling something like this would happen with retailers getting demo versions, I'm not sure why. I would be interested to see just how much these things end up selling for, since I've already paid for a real version of the game, I'm not that interested in actually getting one. I do want to make my way to some places and play the demo though, I'm dying to play some Rock Band, especially after playing a few days of GH III.
    edited November 2007
    Haha, he wrote that BB called him told him if he would return it he would get 100.00 GC. A reason why it probably get more money besides having it early because infact it is a demo and a promo item and people love that myself included. A promo item is always more money also half the time because just how rare it is.
  • TuljmyrskytTuljmyrskyt Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    Fake demos, eh? Some people are are so sneaky.

I apologise if this has been covered already, but has there been any announcement of an official Rock Band demo? Perhaps one made available via disc or Xbox Marketplaces?
    edited November 2007
    Tuljmyrskyt;99810 said:
    Fake demos, eh? Some people are are so sneaky.

I apologise if this has been covered already, but has there been any announcement of an official Rock Band demo? Perhaps one made available via disc or Xbox Marketplaces?
    There hasn't been any announcement of the sort, and I think the general consensus is that there probably won't be. At best you would just be able to play the guitar parts of the songs, and Harmonix probably doesn't want people's impression to be that the game is just a Guitar Hero clone.
  • Nilsen31Nilsen31 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    The real question is, who invented "HMX"?

was it someone at Harmonix or some random guy.
  • McDeezyMcDeezy Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Sean I swear at my bestbuy they had a pedal. I dont know how!

EDIT: I just got back from there after buying a new wireless card for my laptop. I asked the guy that said he got it in. He told me he took it from a bundle that he recieved in shipping. I told him I think he's lying becuase of what sean said. It's shady as hell there.
    edited November 2007
    Now a new one has approached on ebay this version for Ps3 sold by Walmart. Heres the Link.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    raregamer;99101 said:
    Haha, If you ask me he should open it and play as much as he wants. Then just take it back saying when i turned it on and set it up I realize this is not a retail version. What can they possibly do. You can always dispute it saying it was faulty sold if they said no. I doubt they will not return it though being it was indeed their huge mistake.
    All I have to say is, if the poster or someone else followed that logic and they were for whatever reason prevented from returning the game, it's a fair outcome karmically.

To buy the game early is fine if you can. To find out it's a demo and return it is the same. But to buy it early, find out it's a demo, then play the demo (when you could play it in the store anyway) and try to return it later as not what you wanted... Don't try to take the movie back after you've watched it. :/
  • Alphadown99Alphadown99 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    I've heard a lot about this. There was a guy that submitted a post to engadget who had bought the demo from a brand new Best Buy store in Cal I think. I just remember thinking that he got ripped off and I couldn't believe that he wasn't planning on returning it. WAT AN IDIOT!
  • ocfanmanocfanman Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    760 for a rock band demo is a little too much

but I am a sucker for promos, that wal mart one seemed real,

My friend stole a guitar hero demo from best buy, might sell that

EDIT - Saw this one too LINK
  • devil_may_caredevil_may_care Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    It's 19 days for you guys...
    I've got to wait for another few months :( well, thats if the europe release date is acurate...
    that was me being hopefull...
    *sniff*
  • maddrummerdan86maddrummerdan86 Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    sean we need you to answer if rock band will be delayed in canada or not!?!?
This discussion has been closed.