high hat or snare how will we know the difference.

SeanVKSeanVK Unsigned
edited August 2008 in Rock Band
The crash symbal is a no brainer. the green pad and the green symbal are the same. But how will we know the difference between the snare drum and the high hat it they are both yellow. It would be stupid to hit the symbal and hear the snare drum. There needs to be some kind of indicator to let you know when the yellow is the snare of hat.

Comments

• Ragin_CaucasionRagin_Caucasion Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Nobak;896814 said:
    Well that will be conditional on how much quieter the new sets are. As it is, I can't really listen to the music.

And it's still a drag to have to be constantly second-guessing whether you're playing the right thing when it seems like the game could easily tell you.
    It shouldn't really be too big of an issue. A lot of rock only uses cymbals+snare+bass pedal for verses/choruses/etc., and only toms+snare+bass pedal during fills. I only hope that at parties people don't try to play Enter Sandman on the cymbals or anything stupid like that...
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I think it would be really simple to put a symbol on the notes that are supposed to be cymbals. Or maybe they could use hammer-on size notes to indicate cymbals. That way, it wouldn't affect gameplay at all.
  • BayouBengal032BayouBengal032 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    gmagnus;897031 said:
    Pretty sure yellow is the high hat in 99% of the songs.
    Yeah the only time it isn't is when the hi-hat is on the red because of the rolls (run to the hills, everlong, etc.)

EDIT: As I was just informed a little below I was incorrect in my drumming terminology. By "rolls" on the hi-hat I ACTUALLY meant 16th notes. Sorry.
  • TralfmadorianTralfmadorian Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Drummers who are able to play them will know.

Closed imo.
  • JimmikJimmik Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    If you can't tell the difference between a snare drum and a hi-hat, you don't need these cymbals. Not to hate or anything. But seriously. It's not that tough.
  • leroystanksleroystanks Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Okay, so how many people actually know what they're talking about when they say "hi-hat" or "ride cymbal" or "crash cymbal?"

I get the impression that a lot of the members on this forum know the names of basic hardware on a drum kit and associate it with the colours in Rock Band. So, whenever they see a bunch of green notes, because that's usually the crash, that's what they assume it is when it's probably the ride. Or, in the case of that part before the verses in And Justice For All, the hi-hat.
  • ModestMuseModestMuse Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    wrldindstries302;897111 said:
    I think it would be really simple to put a symbol on the notes that are supposed to be cymbals. Or maybe they could use hammer-on size notes to indicate symbols. That way, it wouldn't affect gameplay at all.
    I understand all you "elite" drummers don't need any indication, but it would be SO SIMPLE to do something along these lines.

They don't make you memorize what notes are ho/po when you could just "listen to the note" and memorize those too...

I wish that HMX would comment on this.
  • 0tj0tj Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    BayouBengal032;897124 said:
    Yeah the only time it isn't is when the hi-hat is on the red because of the rolls (run to the hills, everlong, etc.)
    For the last freaking time, those are NOT rolls. They are sixteeth notes. Rolls are not in time with the song, they just go for as long as they have to with no real tempo.

Anyway, the high hat will be the yellow pad on almost every song. The only time it's the red pad is when it's a song with sixteeth notes(Everlong).
  • BayouBengal032BayouBengal032 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    0tj;897362 said:
    For the last freaking time, those are NOT rolls. They are sixteeth notes. Rolls are not in time with the song, they just go for as long as they have to with no real tempo.

Anyway, the high hat will be the yellow pad on almost every song. The only time it's the red pad is when it's a song with sixteeth notes(Everlong).
    Oh my bad, I knew that. lol. Just showing off that my only "drumming" experience is in Rock Band. I hear rolls thrown around so much on the boards i guess i was mistaken.

Thanks for the clear up. :D
  • Teh_Nfsjunkie91Teh_Nfsjunkie91 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    If it looks like the main beat of the song, play the cymbal. If it looks like a drum fill, chances are it's a tom, so hit the pads. One exception being that one fill from Saints of L.A., where he hits a hi-hat during a fill.
    edited July 2008
    Teh_Nfsjunkie91;897687 said:
    If it looks like the main beat of the song, play the cymbal. If it looks like a drum fill, chances are it's a tom, so hit the pads. One exception being that one fill from Saints of L.A., where he hits a hi-hat during a fill.
    But would you be against having some kind of indication?
  • SeanVKSeanVK Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Ok I'm now tired of people saying things like drummers will know the difference. Are we forgetting what this game is all about. Its for people who ARE NOT musicians to pretend that they are.We need to be told every note to play. And I'm not stupid I CAN hear the difference between a snare and a cymbal, But as someone keeps pointing out by the time you hear it its too late. And also I'm not going to know all 100 songs in the game to know when the snare drum is going to hit.............Sorry I got a bit hostel there but I needed to vent.
  • gmagnusgmagnus Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    SeanVK;897926 said:
    by the time you hear it its too late.
    Here's the thing: No. It's not.
  • JimmikJimmik Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I really don't care if this is an optional feature, but it would be a lot more work (well maybe just a little more work) for HMX. I'd rather have them working on something else.
  • Teh_Nfsjunkie91Teh_Nfsjunkie91 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    ModestMuse;897869 said:
    But would you be against having some kind of indication?
    Too much work for something that's really not necessary. Like Jimmik said, I'd rather have Harmonix working on something more important.
    edited July 2008
    SeanVK;897926 said:
    Its for people who ARE NOT musicians to pretend that they are.We need to be told every note to play.
    I think he hit the nail on the head...

You guys are saying the ONLY downside is the little bit of programming needed...
    They have to program the ho/po's, do you think that is a really time consuming process??
  • AnayalataAnayalata Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Shouldn't be any different than charting HO/PO's on Guitar.
    Much like, you can tap your way through HO/PO's, but you can strum them too if you want.
    For Drums, you can hit the cymbal (if you have them), or just hit the regular pad.
    There's no real bonus to doing it either way, just a matter of preference, and it would add a whole new level of "realism" to the drumming. Not to mention, a little extra challenge for Expert Drummers.
  • NobakNobak Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Jimmik;897992 said:
    I really don't care if this is an optional feature, but it would be a lot more work (well maybe just a little more work) for HMX. I'd rather have them working on something else.
    I think they already have the most of the groundwork in place to do this, and it's probably worth the effort to avoid the pitfall of having the cymbals an incomplete feature just thrown in to say they have it just like GH.

I expect better than that from Harmonix.
    Teh_Nfsjunkie91;897998 said:
    Too much work for something that's really not necessary. Like Jimmik said, I'd rather have Harmonix working on something more important.
    Like what? Strictly speaking, nothing in RB2 is necessary; RB1 worked, didn't it.
    Besides, what tells you it's a lot of work? I have reasons to believe it's not. It's a display tweak based on information that's already included in the song files.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited July 2008
    There are plenty of songs where the hi-hat is mapped to the red, blue, or green pad. It varies from song to song.
    edited July 2008
    Nobak;898262 said:
    It's a display tweak based on information that's already included in the song files.
    It's not included in the song files. The note placement isn't generated based on the sound coming out, it's created manually. When you hit red, the game doesn't say "okay, you hit red which is the snare", it says "okay, you hit red, which is the note that's there".
    edited July 2008
    gmagnus;898452 said:
    It's not included in the song files. The note placement isn't generated based on the sound coming out, it's created manually. When you hit red, the game doesn't say "okay, you hit red which is the snare", it says "okay, you hit red, which is the note that's there".
    But it IS just a display tweak. Except a programmer would have to determine which symbol to display.

You drummers say it's SO EASY to tell the difference. Therefore, it should take the developers no time at all to implement.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    gmagnus;898452 said:
    However, it could be possible that Hamonix coded that in there or somehow tagged the notes, and that info is just not used in RB1. They had to translate the music to the game and map it to the drums. When doing this they would definitely know if whether or not is was a drum or cymbal being hit. Obviously they would have needed the foresight to do this. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that there's some sort of distinction made in the coding of the charts.
    edited July 2008
    ModestMuse;898553 said:
    But it IS just a display tweak. Except a programmer would have to determine which symbol to display.

You drummers say it's SO EASY to tell the difference. Therefore, it should take the developers no time at all to implement.
    I never said I was a drummer, or that it was easy to tell the difference.

It WOULD be easy to do for future songs. All current songs, however, would have to be re-done.
    edited July 2008
    geo2n2;898558 said:
    However, it could be possible that Hamonix coded that in there or somehow tagged the notes, and that info is just not used in RB1.
    Ah, the old "it's possible" argument. Yes, son, anything the world that you can imagine is possible.

Just don't get your hopes up too much. If they'd done that, they probably would have said "hey, you can play more accurately with the cymbals, the note charts will change to show you what to play!" instead of just "the cymbals duplicate the pads".
  • NobakNobak Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    gmagnus;898452 said:
    Maybe so, but the drummer character performing does hit the snare. And if you miss the note, the game cuts out the snare.
  • bigdug13bigdug13 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I've got a follow-on question about the cymbals being yellow.

There are a few songs that have you playing 1/16 notes on high hat, and for those songs, HMX charted the high hat on the red pad and snare on yellow. So how does that work when the actual cymbal is on yellow and not red?
  • Ragin_CaucasionRagin_Caucasion Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    bigdug13;898654 said:
    I've got a follow-on question about the cymbals being yellow.

There are a few songs that have you playing 1/16 notes on high hat, and for those songs, HMX charted the high hat on the green pad and snare on yellow. So how does that work when the actual cymbal is on yellow and not green?
    ...Don't you mean red?

But yeah, I'd like to see this issue addressed.
  • bigdug13bigdug13 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, meant red, sorry. But there are a couple songs that have high hat charted to red.
  • 0tj0tj Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    gmagnus;898633 said:

It WOULD be easy to do for future songs. All current songs, however, would have to be re-done.
    This wouldn't be a little project. They would have to go through and basically re-chart every single DLC and on-disc song. Then put the new version up for download and have everyone download it. I think it would set back DLC for a while.
  • NobakNobak Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    bigdug13;898786 said:
    Yeah, meant red, sorry. But there are a couple songs that have high hat charted to red.
    There's probably no simple solution for those, or in fact for any case where any of the cymbals is charted on any color other than its natural one (be kind of silly to hit the crash cymbal for the hi-hats in AJFA, even if they can tell you it's a cymbal).

The good news is that there's not *that* many songs like that.