Your Favorite 80's Rock Bands!

JimiSlashAngusJimiSlashAngus Unsigned
edited July 2008 in History of Rock

So like the title says:
Name your favorite 80's rock bands
I'll name mine and a reason why...
Mötley Crüe - They can be really in your face or they always have those power ballads. Or the good ol' classics like Dr. Feelgood
Guns N' Roses - The guitar part of almost every Guns N' Roses song is done, in my opinion, Perfect.
AC/DC - They've always been one of my favorites and is just extremely good rock music.
Yeah so, those are some of my favorites.:D
Name some of yours and a reason why.

Comments

• Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Rock, Not pop, Right?

I'm thinking.............

I honestly can't think of any Rock bands off of the top of my head. AC/DC isn't 80s to me, So I can't count them.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    REM -- one excellent song after another through the 80's and on into the 90s'. They were a real breath of fresh air in the middle of the over-produced pablum and over-blown hair bands of the era.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Well let's see, this may get lengthy since my teen years were the 80's.

Motley Crue
    Kix
    Bon Jovi
    WASP
    Cinderella
    Tesla
    Gn'R
    Poison
    Skid Row
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Testament
    Anthrax
    Dokken
    Def Leppard
    Van Halen
    Metal Church
    Dangerous Toys
    Savatage
    Saigon Kick
    Hanoi Rocks

are the ones that immediately spring to mind without me putting much thought into it.
  • idiotecidiotec Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    A few of my favorites off the top of my head:

Talking Heads (started in the 70's but continued to put out good albums in the 80's)
    The Cars (See above)
    The Smiths
    Bauhaus
    Sugar Cubes
    Joy Division (A stretch I know, but Closer came out in 1980)
    Pixies
    edited July 2008
    OldFogey;897943 said:
    REM -- one excellent song after another through the 80's and on into the 90s'. They were a real breath of fresh air in the middle of the over-produced pablum and over-blown hair bands of the era.
    Out of curiosity, did you get “Accelerate” on vinyl?

Good music, but I was disappointed in the sound. Pressed at 45rpm and the “sound matters” sticker, I was expecting more. It just seems really compressed and overly loud IMO. I will have to give it another spin here soon to confirm my initial thoughts.
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I'll second the Smiths and Pixies. I know this is kind of a heretical opinion, but I actually prefer New Order to Joy Division, myself. I'll also add:
    The Cure
    Mission of Burma
    Sonic Youth
    Echo & the Bunnymen
    The Jesus & Mary Chain
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    idiotec;898188 said:
    Out of curiosity, did you get “Accelerate” on vinyl?

Good music, but I was disappointed in the sound. Pressed at 45rpm and the “sound matters” sticker, I was expecting more. It just seems really compressed and overly loud IMO. I will have to give it another spin here soon to confirm my initial thoughts.
    Actually I didn't. I wanted to be sure I liked it first. I'll be interested in your second impression -- I've heard some artists are actually starting to use different masters for the analog and digital versions of their releases precisely because of issues like the ones you mentioned.

But I do like Accelerate. Might be their best since Automated for the People. I think it's stronger overall than Monster.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2008
    I have a few favorites, the ones that springs up in my mind now is Anthrax and Helloween.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2008
    U2 and R.E.M. are two great 80's bands. R.E.M. for bringing alternative to the mainstream, and having countless good albums after another, and U2 for being, well, U2.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Iron Maiden
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Dio
    Joe Satriani
    Motorhead
    Steve Vai

+The pretty much every band already mentioned
    edited July 2008
    defenestrater;898251 said:
    I'll second the Smiths and Pixies. I know this is kind of a heretical opinion, but I actually prefer New Order to Joy Division, myself. I'll also add:
    The Cure
    Mission of Burma
    Sonic Youth
    Echo & the Bunnymen

The Jesus & Mary Chain
    Sonic Youth and Echo & the Bunnymen would make my list as well. Another one I missed yesterday was the Violent Femmes. New Order does have some great stuff as well, but I haven't listened to them as much as Joy Division. I may have to throw them on again here soon.
    OldFogey;898372 said:
    Actually I didn't. I wanted to be sure I liked it first. I'll be interested in your second impression -- I've heard some artists are actually starting to use different masters for the analog and digital versions of their releases precisely because of issues like the ones you mentioned.

But I do like Accelerate. Might be their best since Automated for the People. I think it's stronger overall than Monster.
    I will give it another spin here soon, who knows, frame of mind can really change how a record sounds (at least for me).
  • guitarguru2112guitarguru2112 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Here's my list:

Stryper
    White Lion
    Motley Crue
    Guns n Roses
    Ozzy Osbourne (I love his 80's stuff)
    The Police
    White Heart

That's all I can think of at this moment. I'm more of a 70's music fan, but the 80's were pretty good too.
  • Oz1215Oz1215 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    List:

Iron Maiden
    Rush
    Metallica
    Guns N' Roses

Only ones i can think of without looking other bands up, which i'm too lazy to do.
  • tommysparxxxtommysparxxx Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    way too many to name, i should've been an 80's baby

dead kennedys, black flag, and the misfits - cuz they were madd hardcore punk, it made u wanna stomp on babies and piss on cops

megadeth, judas priest, slayer - cuz they were madd hardcore metal that made u wanna do the same only times two

poison, warrant, scorpions - cuz its was just crazy hair and catchy hooks

blondie- cuz debbie harry owns all

men at work, cutting crew - thank god for one hit wonders
  • journeyrules66journeyrules66 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    the cars
    billy idol
    van halen not van hagar
    def lepp
    styx
    foreigner
  • CybothCyboth Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I was and kinda still am a fan of Metallica, and also Megadeth.
  • AdmiralwigginAdmiralwiggin Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    How has no one mentioned Queen
  • VoodooVoodoo Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I really liked Great White for their mix of hard rock and blues music.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
  • AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    where do I start? this is just a few. I probably won't update it, but these are just bands I like off of the top of my head.

Van Halen (Not Van Hagar)
    Judas Priest
    The Cars
    Def Leppard
    The Scorpions
    Bon Jovi
    Motley Crue

the list goes on....
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I personally think that the 80's was the second worst decade for music, only behind this decade. But, there are a few I like.

NIRVANA (Bleach was released in '89 :D.)
    Soundgarden (Their first few records were in the 80's.)
    Guns N' Roses (I kinda like their music, but I have some dislike of them because of Axl.)

That's all I can think of as of right now.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Iron Maiden
    Metallica
    Judas Priest
    Venom

Four great metal bands.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Priest and Venom were both late 70's.

For 80's, the highlight for me has to be Mercyful Fate.

I won't ignore the other classic metal bands of course(Iron Maiden was definitely a highlight, too), I just thought I would say something a tad different(since they haven't been mentioned, surprisingly)
    edited July 2008
    Hungryfreak;907713 said:
    Priest and Venom were both late 70's.
    Priest was around then, but British Steel, which is their best album, in my opinion, came out in 1980. Venom's first didn't come out until 1981.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Admiralwiggin;905734 said:
    How has no one mentioned Queen
    Because they are a 70s band.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;907717 said:
    Priest was around then, but British Steel, which is their best album, in my opinion, came out in 1980. Venom's first didn't come out until 1981.
    As much as British Steel is awesome, you can't judge their era by there work (besides, Hell Bent for Leather came out in '79, which was also awesome)

As for Venom, the band formed in '79. You an make the argument for them, though, since their first demo was out in '80.
    edited July 2008
    CheezerRox;907652 said:
    I personally think that the 80's was the second worst decade for music, only behind this decade. But, there are a few I like.
    How deep have you looked? If your a big Nirvana fan, you should go back through their influences, most of which are 80's bands.

Look past the big hair and check out the post punk/new wave bands. There is a lot of great stuff from the 80's.
    edited July 2008
    Hungryfreak;907744 said:
    As much as British Steel is awesome, you can't judge their era by there work (besides, Hell Bent for Leather came out in '79, which was also awesome)

As for Venom, the band formed in '79. You an make the argument for them, though, since their first demo was out in '80.
    Well, I don't generally think of bands by when they were formed, but by when they were most popular or when my favorite work was released. If you're going by band formation date, that would make Iron Maiden a '70s band, which I think we can all agree that they aren't.
  • SchmealSchmeal Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    King Diamond
    Dead Kennedys
    Coroner
    Vio-lence
    Minor Threat
    Rigor Mortis
    Sacred Reich
    The big 4 of thrash
    The Police
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    idiotec;907880 said:
    How deep have you looked? If your a big Nirvana fan, you should go back through their influences, most of which are 80's bands.

Look past the big hair and check out the post punk/new wave bands. There is a lot of great stuff from the 80's.
    Yeah, I know that NIRVANA's (and most grunge bands') influences came from the 70's and 80's, it's just I've always seen the 80's as all generic hair metal bands. Now, i know that's inaccurate, but I've just never had the motivation to look. I guess I should, 'cause that's being pretty closed-minded.

Alright, I'll give it a shot.