Rock Urban Myths Needed!

XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
edited November 2007 in History of Rock
So I gave in and I'm finally suggesting a rock themed episode of MythBusters. I'm trying to compile a list and was wondering if I could get some help and maybe a link if you have one where more info may be found about rock urban myths.

So far I have:

*Ozzy bites bat head
*Backmasking
*Paul is dead

Rolling Stones did a top 10 list but they weren't very...science-y. I heard there was a big Led Zepplin myth talked about on the forum. Regarding a hotel or something.

Comments

• EastwoodEastwood Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Can't forget Dark Side of the Rainbow! They edited the CD so much that only the orignal record actually makes it work, so I heard...
  • BobLoblawBobLoblaw Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Xzyliac;99714 said:
    I heard there was a big Led Zepplin myth talked about on the forum. Regarding a hotel or something.
    Mythbusters is a family show, they can't talk about that.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    BobLoblaw;99747 said:
    Mythbusters is a family show, they can't talk about that.
    Holy magnolia! :eek:
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    There is the one about "Stairway to Heaven' being played backwards and revealing satanic messages. It is odd and I believe it was done purposefully. Also, Jimmy Page owns and resides in the infamous Aliester Crowley's mansion. Many myths talk about a black room and lights turning on and figures seen in windows when he is gone on tour.
    edited November 2007
    Eastwood;99720 said:
    Can't forget Dark Side of the Rainbow! They edited the CD so much that only the orignal record actually makes it work, so I heard...
    Hey can I gets me's an elaboration on this one?
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    How about Manowar blowing the club owners speakers? That would be sweet.
  • Zthe27thZthe27th Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil. you know the classic rock myth
    edited November 2007
    Zthe27th;99882 said:
    Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil. you know the classic rock myth
    Dunno if you can prove or disprove that.

The Manowar one sounds sweet though.
    edited November 2007
    Xzyliac;99803 said:
    Hey can I gets me's an elaboration on this one?
    Supposedly, if you play the original cut of Dark Side of the Moon during the Wizard of Oz, starting from the second roar of the MGM Lion on to the credits, the album runs perfectly in sync with the movie. My uncle says he did it, I tried it with my CD and it didn't work. My uncle explained to me that it is because the CD and record have been edited differently and actually have different run times. Alas, he sold his record to a collector...
    edited November 2007
    Eastwood;100047 said:
    Supposedly, if you play the original cut of Dark Side of the Moon during the Wizard of Oz, starting from the second roar of the MGM Lion on to the credits, the album runs perfectly in sync with the movie. My uncle says he did it, I tried it with my CD and it didn't work. My uncle explained to me that it is because the CD and record have been edited differently and actually have different run times. Alas, he sold his record to a collector...
    Woah. That's a good one.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    something about the big Mayhem incident maybe? or if Kurt Cobain's suicide could've been murder.
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    The whole Judas Priest incident where if you listen to one of their songs enough, you'll be driven to suicide due to hidden subliminal messages. There was a whole court case about it.
  • hardterhardter Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    that is not a urban myth. during "Better By You, Better Than Me" (which is a cover song by the way) if you play backwards you can hear the words "do it" but the band said this was meant to mean buy more of our records. talk about your all time backfires....also during "beyond the realms of death" if you play it from the ending backwards the first thing you hear is "I took my life"

pretty sick to hear about but wat did dead's (singer of a band called mayhem) suicide note say. ppl have told many tales from "sorry about the mess" to longer essay style notes. plus the band taught it wud be cool to photo this and use it as a bootleg album cover (Dawn of the Black Hearts) i wud put a link to it somewhere but wud be afraid of getting banned for linking to offense material so look it up yourself if you want to, warning not for the light hearted
  • linemanxx10linemanxx10 Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    heres a pretty common one nobody has mentioned yet. Brett Meisner was at jim morrison's grave when somebody took a picture of him, when they had it developed morrison was seen clearly in the background behind meisner. ever since the guys had bad luck with unemployment, losing his wife, and all over horrible luck. heres a pic http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/Jim_Morrison_ghost-2.jpg
    edited November 2007
    thats creepy. and judging from the quaility of the photo i say it wud have been taken a long time before computer imagery fakery was invented
  • Zthe27thZthe27th Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    hardter;100755 said:
    that is not a urban myth. during "Better By You, Better Than Me" (which is a cover song by the way) if you play backwards you can hear the words "do it" but the band said this was meant to mean buy more of our records. talk about your all time backfires....also during "beyond the realms of death" if you play it from the ending backwards the first thing you hear is "I took my life"

think you got a few things wrong there
    in court there was no conclucive evidence that it said do it and the band said (paraphrased of course) telling our fans to kill them selves would be counter productive if we were gonna have a subliminal message it would be something like 'buy your records'
    edited November 2007
    well you learn something new every day. i just kno that cause my mate is the biggest judas priest fan i kno and he never shuts up about them. cant wait to throw that in his face that he was wrong now and he may finally be quiet
  • Blue88Blue88 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    They say that you can hear the scream of a woman being murdered during the bridge of Roller Coaster of Love.

I heard a faint scream, but I doubt that that's what it is.
    edited November 2007
    Plus it was done during a time when everyone in the band was screaming... the alleged screamer was killed in the studio with guiatr wire, though...
  • seafischseafisch Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Phil Collins wrote the song "In the Air Tonight" after witnessing a friend drowning and watching a guy stand there not doing anything to help, then sent the guy a front row ticket to the first concert they played the song, with a single spotlight on the guy while they played the song.
  • Unleavened_DeadUnleavened_Dead Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    not to sh*t in your oatmeal or anything, but didn't VH1 do a 40 greatest of this.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2007
    If VH1 did, I didn't see it.VH1 have done the top 40 metal songs before though.
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Just something to note about that Floyd myth. I know for a fact that here in Downtown Toronto they host weekly (I think it's weekly) sessions called "Dark Side of Oz" where they play Dark Side of the Moon and watch Wizard of Oz while getting high.
    edited November 2007
    They do it in Austin, too...

Found proof....