Genre Fans or Well-Rounded Fans?

HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
edited July 2008 in History of Rock
I was thinking today about people, and Rock music, and people liking rock music... and I just started to wonder which of following kinds of fans are the majority:

1) Someone who likes music, will listen to whatever they feel sounds good, but doesn't consciously really identify as a fan of anything in particular

2) Someone who is into a very specific genre, like someone who is just a Punk or just a Metal Head, or just into Classic Rock, etc...

3) Someone who likes the whole span of Rock and Roll, from Jerry Garcia to Trent Reznor, and owns albums all across all types of genres, goes out of their way to learn all kinds of history and facts about music, etc...

So, what do you think the majorities are? here on the forums, and out in the real world?

Comments

• Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I think you get a straight mix of those who like what's popular at the time, those who identify with certain genres, and those who are Rock N Roll encyclopedias across the board both here and in the real world. I know I follow a mixture between #2 and #3.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    I'm 3. I retain no specific genre preference, though will listen to every genre and learn more about them to help me figure out which is which. I listen to everything from King Crimson to King Diamond and the occasional King Curtis.
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited July 2008
    Definately a 1 here. I think it's foolish to stick to any particular genre. The more the merrier.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I'm a combo. I listen to all different genres but I'm a metalhead at heart.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    It's funny, pre GH1 I was a #1, then after I played more and more of these rhythm games I can say I'm now a #3.

However, deep down my heart does belong equally to Classic Rock and Metal. I just feel like those two genres pretty much the purest forms of "Rock N' Roll"
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2008
    I'm trying to accomplish number three, so far I got some progressive rock/metal, thrash, alternative, industrial, folk, hard rock albums under my belt. I also try to learn from allmusic, metal archives, and the regulars from this sub forum.

I believe the majority of music fans are the number one choice. People like music for the sound, it doesn't matter what is for the most part. Although based on certain stereotypes, a good majority will avoid more technical or extreme music.

Here in this forum(not the History of Rock but the forum as a whole). I think it would be number 2, fans of punk/hardcore will tend to stay in those threads. Metal heads will stick in metal threads. I see more specific fans than go with the flow fans.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    At heart I'm a metal head. Growing up in the 80's how could I not be ;) That being said I'm a healthy mix of 1 and 3. Even back in the 80's I didn't care what my peers thought. I listened to Prince, Depeche Mode, and DuranDuran along with Maiden, Priest, Ozzy etc.
  • FathomsFathoms Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I'm some bastardized configuration of number's 1 and 3. Although I do tend to gravitate towards modern music I still get a pretty big thrill out of stuff like the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus or the Zombies Oddessy and Oracle album, but I can't say I've ever been obsessed with the technical aspects of music or the names of every musician who is in a band I like. There is a certain enviable quality to people who are rooted in number 2 because they seem to have a stronger sense of idenity and community among them, but as a form of conversational currency it helps to be a little versed in every genre.
  • guitarguru2112guitarguru2112 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I'm a 2 at heart with a mix of 3. I grew up listening to classic rock (even though grunge was popular when I was an infant) and it is about 90% of what I listen to, but I like a little alternative here and there. I try to broaden my horizons when I can. I like learning more about bands instead of just knowing their one hit song. Classic rock is diverse though if you listen to a broad span of it, which is what I like to do. I will never like emo music again, one of my friends tried to get me to like it and it backfired! I liked it a few years ago for about a year during my "punk" phase, but I eventually broke out of it and turned back to the classics. Now I get called a hippie a lot. It's amazing how much music affects your style!
  • dyzzydyzzy Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I guess I'm a mix of all 3. I'll listen to anything really as long as it sounds good, but I strongly identify with alternative and indie. For some genres of rock (mainly, well, alternative and indie) I have a wide range and will go out of my way to learn more, but for other genres (most kinds of metal) I don't care at all.
  • FourstringOrionFourstringOrion Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Im a mix of #2 and #3, I like all genres and listen to whatever but at the same time im a metalhead at heart...:D
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I'm a genre fan, though its a broad genre. I call it "rock and roll" and it encompasses most 50s music including rockabilly and r&b that preceded "rock and roll", 60s garage stuff, early Brit stuff, but not too much psych/experimental. Then from proto-punk to punk and some metal. All I can say is I know it when I hear it, and I know when something doesn't fit my tastes. I do enjoy poppy music too when it has a good hook, but I don't purchase or support that kind of music. But if it is pleasing to listen to its hard to deny it entirely, even if I can't get behind the artists producing it.

I'm going to come off like an elitist ass, but I'd say most people are sheep when it comes to music. They like what has been spoon fed to them through radio and MTV and because everyone else likes it and can't really explain why beyond that. When asked about their favorite albums they read just like a Rolling Stones "Best of" list, sometimes they'll even site those kind of rankings as justification on how good it is. Their favorite songs are always big singles and not album cuts and they wouldn't dream of buying an album that they had never heard because they liked the cover art or thought the band had a cool name and it was worth a shot.
    edited July 2008
    You're not being elitist, I agree with you completly. If you ask someone to name their favorite artists/songs and they only name stuff that's recent, that means they don't delve into anything deeper to find out what they really would or wouldn't like. They are sheep.

I guess another question would be though, is music really that important? I mean, obviously it is to us, but does naybody have that annoyibng film student friend that always analyze every single piece of a movie after you guys watch it that just seems really boring and pretentious... sometimes I wonder if I'm that person but with music

AND I'm a film student :eek:
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    HyeJinx1984;924846 said:
    I guess another question would be though, is music really that important? I mean, obviously it is to us, but does naybody have that annoyibng film student friend that always analyze every single piece of a movie after you guys watch it that just seems really boring and pretentious... sometimes I wonder if I'm that person but with music

I love film, but I'm a total low brow cinema person, so I can't get on with those types. My standards really took a beating after working in VFX for a few years since I now appreciate a horrible movie if its got a few cool effects scenes.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to consider myself a #3, but compared to many of you guys (read: rock music encyclopedias), I'm almost ashamed to claim that. :o
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Hmm. I'm probably a #3, but I'm nowhere near music encyclopedia status. Most rock sub-genres interest me, but punk, New Wave, post-punk, alt, goth, "edgy" pop, and Motown are my favorites.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2008
    im a mix between 2 and 3, i have all sorts of things,but i do tend to stay near a "Classic rock" edge (tho that isnt a genre) and tho I may love prog, i do listen to folk, metal, classical, punk, space rock, soft rock, jazz, blues, jazz fusion and stuff
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2008
    HyeJinx1984;924846 said:
    You're not being elitist, I agree with you completly. If you ask someone to name their favorite artists/songs and they only name stuff that's recent, that means they don't delve into anything deeper to find out what they really would or wouldn't like. They are sheep.

lol, i can do both :D, but i think its true, some ppl like music,some movies, some art, some poetry, we all have our niches, in fact, if someone acts like they are a connesoiur of all of them, i bet they are lying, they might be interested and have knowledge of all of them, but they have their thing, they have one thing they hold above all else
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I consciously expand my music horizons, no matter the genre. If it sounds good, I get it. I can understand someone who really only likes one genre (or one subgenre), but my views are best expressed by Bobby McFerrin when he played with the Utah Symphony quite a few years ago.

"I like to think of music as rooms in my house, each one different, for different things. Listening to only one kind of music is like spending your life in the bathroom" :D
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2008
    I think I'm a mixture of 2 and 3. I enjoy alternative the most, but I listen to just about everything, from Boston to Metallica to the Rolling Stones to Radiohead to Led Zeppelin to the White Stripes to U2 to Rage Against the Machine, and I know even more than that. I'm always the one my friends come to ask about music, just like there's that guy you always ask about movies, or books, or something. I don't listen to too much that doesn't have some hint of rock, with jazz being the exception. I do enjoy a bit of classical from time to time, too. I think that anyone who only listens to one genre of music and thinks that anything that isn't that genre automatically sucks. I can definitely understand liking some kinds of music more than others, but it's stupid to think that just because it's not that genre, that it automatically sucks. This goes for anyone, metalheads, indieheads, rapheads, so on.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited July 2008
    A HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE majority of people will only listen to specific stuff. I listen to everything and so do a lot of my friends, but there are so many people out there who only listen to the stuff on MTV or on the top 40 radio stations because they either aren't very passionate about music or don't feel like putting out the effort to the good stuff.

I listen to everything, really. I identify myself mainly as a metalhead, but I also listen to afrobeat, jazz, classical, and everything in between. I guess I've just grown up listening to everything.
  • House of Usher7House of Usher7 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I mix a lot from older rock with The Who and CCR some 80s 90s etc but my main love is the seattle sound, cant get over it. but im more allaround compared to lets say 5 years ago
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    If I had to specify, I do listen mostly to metal. Depending on my mood though, I listen to various different types of metal from Isis to Cannibal Corpse. Even then, I have moods outside of metal. I've recently been through a blues mood, a classic rock mood and a jazz mood. Frank Zappa is the only musician that can transcend moods, haha.

Because of that, I stay purely at 3.
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I listen to whatever I think sounds good regardless of genre but that normally ends up being some kind of metal or hard rock although I have a few blues, southern rock, and classical albums that I enjoy a lot. I'm also extremely selective of what I listen to you wont really catch me listening to some catchy one hit wonder.

#1 to an extent in the fact that I will listen to anything good #2 due to 90% of my music being metal or hard rock.
    edited July 2008
    Something weird I'm noticing in myself though, and I'm not sure if this is totally positively (probably not)... I used to kind of be into everything on a superficial level... you know, if it sounded good, came on the radio, or at a club, didn't matter if it was pop or hip hop or rock or whatever... then, once I started discovering classic rock and learning to play the guitar (I sound like a broken record, but thank you Guitar Hero 1) I got more into rock... and then, now, am pretty obsessed with it, from classic, to metal, to punk, to industrial, etc... but I've been only playing in that one sandbox of "Rock"... I could easily have gone to those same depths in Hip Hop with Dead Pres, The Roots, John Legend, EARLY Black Eyed Peas, MC Lyte, etc... but, I just don't. Hip Hop has just as much crap as Rock (and Rock has a lot of crap, make no mistake), and probably proportionately as much good stuff (it is a much younger genre) but for some reason while I've made a conscious effort to learn about all the milestones and important bands/songs/albums in rock, I'm NOT taking that step with Hip Hop or any other genre.

Is it because they don't have rhythm games?
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    HyeJinx1984;930072 said:
    Something weird I'm noticing in myself though, and I'm not sure if this is totally positively (probably not)... I used to kind of be into everything on a superficial level... you know, if it sounded good, came on the radio, or at a club, didn't matter if it was pop or hip hop or rock or whatever... then, once I started discovering classic rock and learning to play the guitar (I sound like a broken record, but thank you Guitar Hero 1) I got more into rock... and then, now, am pretty obsessed with it, from classic, to metal, to punk, to industrial, etc... but I've been only playing in that one sandbox of "Rock"... I could easily have gone to those same depths in Hip Hop with Dead Pres, The Roots, John Legend, EARLY Black Eyed Peas, MC Lyte, etc... but, I just don't. Hip Hop has just as much crap as Rock (and Rock has a lot of crap, make no mistake), and probably proportionately as much good stuff (it is a much younger genre) but for some reason while I've made a conscious effort to learn about all the milestones and important bands/songs/albums in rock, I'm NOT taking that step with Hip Hop or any other genre.

Is it because they don't have rhythm games?
    I doubt it. It's personal preference, you prefer music that is rock n' roll based is all. I'm the same way outside of the odd rap act here and there, Public Enemy and Ice T for example.

My sister OTOH is the exact opposite. She appreciates rock to a certain extent but soul, r&b and hip hop is really where it's at for her.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Guess I'm dense -- i don't understand the difference between 1 and 3. But I'm definitely not 2.
    edited July 2008
    1 is someone who isn't into the "art" of music, just listen to whatever is on the radio, at a club, etc..

3 is someone who scours ebay looking for VHS copies of "The Decline of Western Civilization," or owns more than 10 biographies on different musicians, or can spend hours yapping to their friends, who probably really don't care, about what a genius Jerry Garcia was.
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited July 2008
    Yea it has to be #3 for me, I'm a nut i have to learn every thing about music, i got OCD like that.

There are all types of good (rock) music out there. Go forth and rock out.
    But i am not really a fan of all that is not rock, i just cant get into rap country rnb, although i do dig some blues, classic, jazz, but of course rock has its roots in those.