Drummer Battle: Neil Peart vs. Keith Moon vs. John Bonham

ByH20ByH20 Opening Act
edited August 2012 in History of Rock
What do you think?

I'm a drummer myself and I would say it's a tie between Moon and Peart.

edit:actually I'm voting for Peart...

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Moon. He was crazy and great drummers have to be. Bonzo was crazy, too, but he was more subdued. He didn't have the hopped up on caffeine feel and all that speed, he just seemed really drunk. With Peart, I don't know. I've never really seen the insane drumming from him that people always rave on and on about.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Neil Peart:Being that I am a Rush fan and enjoy the textures he brings to Rush's music. I also like Peart's lyrics quite a bit.

Keith Moon: A great drummer, excellent personality on stage and off.

John Bonham: No offense to Led Zeppelin fans but I've never found his drumming to be that impressive. Although suit for his role in Led Zeppelin.
  • IFlyEmIFlyEm Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    How would Danny Carey rate here?
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited July 2008
    The difference between Moon and Bonham is that Bonham wasn't bat**** insane, lol.
  • Sonic_SnowmanSonic_Snowman Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I'm gonna have to go with a tie between Peart and Moon.

Sorry to all the Zep fans, but Bonham's drumming never really seemed quite as "prominent" in the group. I'm not saying he wasn't good at what he did, and he was an important part of Led Zeppelin, it's just a matter of personal taste really.
  • SnowdrakeSnowdrake Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Tough one I went with the tie between Peart and Moon.

I agree Bonham was a excellent drummer and I love Led Zeppelin but he was not as influential as Moon and he was not as technically excellent as Peart.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I voted Bonham. I prefer his groove over either of the others technicality. Not that Bonham couldn't be technical.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    SteelersFreak1;928947 said:
    Technically, Peart is superior. Bonham is the best in terms of feel and groove, and Moon is probably the most influential of the group, although Bonzo is a close second.

They're all equal!
    Seconded

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with a tie between Peart and Moon. Peart had the best foundation from a technical stand point, and Moon was bat**** crazy and it translated VERY well into drums.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I vote none. All are equal.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    I'm back!

Peart because he's smart enough not to get himself killed!
  • ByH20ByH20 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;929164 said:

Peart because he's smart enough not to get himself killed!

That's partly my point.=]
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Hungryfreak;929094 said:
    I vote Steve Flynn.
    I vote for him along side Neil Peart and Bill Bruford. :D (Yeah, I just really got into Atheist today. Only matter of time since I had Cynic's Focus).
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    This is a case of who's the best and who I like the best.
    I like Keith Moon the best, just because of his on and off stage antics (he had an affinity for super glue and cherry bombs (suffice to say, The Who were banned from every Holiday Inn in America thanks to Moons shenanigans)).
    But I say a tie with Peart and Bonham. I think they have more control over their playing whereas Moon just played pedal to the metal all the time (exaggeration, not all the time but most of the time) which is impressive in itself...
    I stand by what I said.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    JukeBoxHero;929972 said:
    I vote for him along side Neil Peart and Bill Bruford. :D (Yeah, I just really got into Atheist today. Only matter of time since I had Cynic's Focus).
    High five! Haha. Speaking of Cynic, Sean Reinert's definitely done some amazing work, too. That entire trinity (Cynic, Atheist, Death) has amazing drummers throughout.
  • guitarguru2112guitarguru2112 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    All three are great. It was a hard choice, but I had to go tie between Peart and Bonham. Bonham may not have been the entire showcase of Zeppelin, but that does not take back how awesome his drumming was. Bonham never really stuck to the traditional 4:4 beat and he always had variety in his playing. I love Pearts constant change of double-beat and time signitures too. Difficult choice.
  • rickjames284rickjames284 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Peart, considerin hes the only one i was lucky to see play live.
  • LimelightLimelight Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I've always thought that Peart is probably the most overrated drummer ever. What he does almost always sounds very good, but the number of "holy ****" moments in Peart's drumming are much fewer and far between than Bonham and (especially) Moon. He is very constant, though, and the best of these three at holding a beat. (Ignore the fact that these two gentlemen are dead.)

Bonham is great, but no as good as Peart. Also kinda overrated.

Moon, although definitely not what one would call finessed and not being able to hold a beat to save his live (either due to a lack of ability, or, more likely, boredom) is, I think, the best musician. Creatively, he blows almost any drummer out of the water. Only Moon could bash stuff is such a seemingly random manner, and have it all make perfect sense musically. Listen to the opening of Young Man Blues, or the end of Love, Reign O'er Me. If almost anyone else tried to do that, it'd just sound like a guy bashing on a drum set; when Moon did it, every hit sounded intentional and musical.

I should note that Buddy Rich kicks the living **** out of all three, though, at everything, including Moon-style fills. He could do **** at sixty that half his age couldn't do.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Limelight;932931 said:
    I've always thought that Peart is probably the most overrated drummer ever. What he does almost always sounds very good, but the number of "holy ****" moments in Peart's drumming are much fewer and far between than Bonham and (especially) Moon. He is very constant, though, and the best of these three at holding a beat. (Ignore the fact that these two gentlemen are dead.)

Bonham is great, but no as good as Peart. Also kinda overrated.

Moon, although definitely not what one would call finessed and not being able to hold a beat to save his live (either due to a lack of ability, or, more likely, boredom) is, I think, the best musician. Creatively, he blows almost any drummer out of the water. Only Moon could bash stuff is such a seemingly random manner, and have it all make perfect sense musically. Listen to the opening of Young Man Blues, or the end of Love, Reign O'er Me. If almost anyone else tried to do that, it'd just sound like a guy bashing on a drum set; when Moon did it, every hit sounded intentional and musical.

I should note that Buddy Rich kicks the living **** out of all three, though, at everything, including Moon-style fills. He could do **** at sixty that half his age couldn't do.
    This! Well-said. I voted for Keith Moon. To me, his drumming style had the most synergy with the rest of his band members. I always felt like Peart and Bonham were playing against the music, instead of with it.
  • bdrizzle14bdrizzle14 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2008
    i vote for none, as i said earlier, i vote for the greatest drummer ever, Carl Palmer
  • OppoKazeOppoKaze Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I gotta give it to Bonham here. Peart and Moon are both very excellent drummers as well, but Bonham wrote some of the groovingest backbeats known to man. Oh, and he can play some arm destroying solos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cRuTcnd8YLU&feature=related

All three are drum gods for sure though. I'm sure that Peart and Moon are technically better, but I really dig how tasteful Bonham's parts are.
    edited July 2008
    OppoKaze;941918 said:
    Moon are technically better, but I really dig how tasteful Bonham's parts are.
    NO. Say what you want about Moon; technicality was NOT his strongsuit. In fact, the reason he was great in the first place was because he gave the finger to technicality.
  • spoonytoothspoonytooth Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Keith Moon in my opinion is the best drummer. He may not be technically as good as Neil Peart, but I absolutely love his style of drumming. It was so inovative and there has never been anything else anything like it to this day.

Neil Peart and John Bonham are also two of my favorite drummers as well though, along with Ian Paice.
  • blue_dragonzeroblue_dragonzero Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    RUSH! RUSH! RUSH!

I am a Rush fanboy, and I approve this message.

Seriously, Bonham is below Moon and Peart. Being overindulgent it better than sticking with the music, especially for drummers. And Moon and Peart both know that. Bonham doesn't stick out nearly as much as the other two. And it hurts him in the long run...along with $200 tickets.
    edited July 2008
    blue_dragonzero;942324 said:
    RUSH! RUSH! RUSH!

I am a Rush fanboy, and I approve this message.

Seriously, Bonham is below Moon and Peart. Being overindulgent it better than sticking with the music, especially for drummers. And Moon and Peart both know that. Bonham doesn't stick out nearly as much as the other two. And it hurts him in the long run...along with $200 tickets.
    And the fact that he's dead.
    edited July 2008
    Limelight;942364 said:
    And the fact that he's dead.
    Not as much the other two though. ;)
    edited July 2008
    blue_dragonzero;942404 said:
    Not as much the other two though. ;)
    Que?

10 char
    edited July 2008
    Limelight;942495 said:
    Que?

10 char
    Other two reasons. Sorry. Neil Peart is still alive. :)