Your Rock Band victory for the week...!

Comments

• razor63razor63 Unsigned
    zabigg said:

razor63 said:

I finally got a Vocal skill rating of 1000 on X-Bone (QuantumHandsome).

I remember passing you once on all songs scores iirc (ExiledChaos90 here), and then everytime I looked at the leaderboards, you'd made the gap larger and larger. Impressively so. So here's the question I asked the other 1000 rated vocalist I saw of late: How the f**k did you do it?
    There's only one way -- you need to GS everything you've ever sang.
    Aye, I know how it's done. But how the f**k is it done?
  • Got my second triple-5*X rating (one song, 3 instruments)... on our crew's unofficial song ("Rooster" by AIC no less).

Sad thing is that it was all 3 core instruments besides vox. :disappointed:

Got my second triple-5*X rating (one song, 3 instruments)... on our crew's unofficial song ("Rooster" by AIC no less).

Sad thing is that it was all 3 core instruments besides vox. :disappointed:

For shame. That's the one you're supposed to be best at ;)
  • Eh it's not much of an accomplishment but I gold star'd Stranglehold bass on sightread.
    Haven't been playing much so this kind of shocked me that I still had it in me LOL
  • edited September 3
    razor63 said:

zabigg said:

razor63 said:

I finally got a Vocal skill rating of 1000 on X-Bone (QuantumHandsome).

I remember passing you once on all songs scores iirc (ExiledChaos90 here), and then everytime I looked at the leaderboards, you'd made the gap larger and larger. Impressively so. So here's the question I asked the other 1000 rated vocalist I saw of late: How the f**k did you do it?
    There's only one way -- you need to GS everything you've ever sang.
    Aye, I know how it's done. But how the f**k is it done?
    My advice is:

1. Turn Freestyle Vocals on.
    2. Use Training, but never sing the whole song. Because you might beat it.
    3. Many of my Gold Starred songs were gained because I was "In The Moment".
    4. Breathe as soon as the "bar/pie" stops filling, then finish the rest of the phrase.
    5. Use vibrato.
    6. I can get more power out of higher octave, but run out of breath quicker.
    7. I can be more precise in a lower octave, but have less power.
    8. I find it easier to Gold Star or FC a song I don't know, because I follow the chart.
    9. Songs I know can be difficult because I tend to sing the Vocal (harmony) part I naturally gravitate to, rather than the chart.
    10. Sometimes the Vocal chart will hinder your knowledge of the song. Stop adjusting your voice for the chart when this happens, because you will beat the song if you sing it naturally.
    11. Remember your Vocal range is different to the original singer.

Good luck.
  • I have some extra tips for 1000 skill on vox/harmonies:
    1. Outside of songs already played with a score less than gold stars, choose 1 song per difficulty that has no songs played.
    2. Pick a talkies song for as many difficulties as possible (I think 0-4 dots has talkies only songs).
    3. If you pick a song and it doesn't look like you'll gold star, pause and quit the song before the end.
    4. The more songs you record a score less than gold stars on, the harder getting 1000 skill becomes.
    5. Overtiering is rather common for disc setlists, for example Still Into You is devil tiered but if it was DLC that tier would be much lower.
  • Tip #Pi. If you can't hit the vocalist's high notes on the choruses, you may have to resort sounding like a drunk fratboy and dropping down two octaves from the lead's original. There are at least two instances where I've beat @razor63 's scores due to his unwillingness to do so. :smiley:

Tip #Pi. If you can't hit the vocalist's high notes on the choruses, you may have to resort sounding like a drunk fratboy and dropping down two octaves from the lead's original. There are at least two instances where I've beat @razor63 's scores due to his unwillingness to do so. :smiley:

I'll do it when the song calls for it... which is never ;) However, I can't tell octaves very well, I only know if something is higher or lower...
  • razor63 said:

I'll do it when the song calls for it... which is never ;) However, I can't tell octaves very well, I only know if something is higher or lower...

The art is to do it when the song actually doesn't call for it. It's when your voice has to drop even though the singer's voice goes way up. It doesn't really require being able to hear what octave is going on, it's more understanding when Sia or lzzy Hale are going too high for you on the choruses and then dropping your voice until the pitch guide registers again.

Eh well, you know what it sounds like... :smiley: (Thank God I was not broadcasting that on Twitch, btw...)

• My victory today was getting gold stars on Thank You Boys with 0% accuracy!

razor63 said:

The art is to do it when the song actually doesn't call for it. It's when your voice has to drop even though the singer's voice goes way up. It doesn't really require being able to hear what octave is going on, it's more understanding when Sia or lzzy Hale are going too high for you on the choruses and then dropping your voice until the pitch guide registers again.

Eh well, you know what it sounds like... :smiley: (Thank God I was not broadcasting that on Twitch, btw...)

Heh, I know what you mean. I think you and I shall never see eye to eye on this.
  • edited September 3
    razor63 said:

Heh, I know what you mean. I think you and I shall never see eye to eye on this.

Of course, since we all know how true a falsetto you do on "What's Up?" XD [/sarcasm]
  • I had two victories in RB for this week. First was getting above 900k for Expert Pro Drums on In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. The second was getting 5 stars on Expert Pro Drums on Through the Fire and Flames for my first time ever. (So happy C: )
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 14
    Downloading my dlc Metallica songs to RB4 "And Justice for All" and "Ride The Lightning" Yay! I think the real victory goes to HMX for making it possible.
  • EvilMunkyEvilMunky Unsigned
    edited September 14
    While I got a bunch of new FC's last week, I'm actually kind of proud of this one from Monday. I find it way under-tiered at 3-dot, but that's primarily because I suck at alt-strumming. My previous best was a 4-star and this run landed me at 6th on the leaderboard. Did it all down-strumming too, and boy was my wrist sore after, haha.

OH! I almost forgot! My crew made 3rd Overall in Gold Tier this week! Way to go Castrate The Nun! So nice to see our name in the top three on the Rivals Home Screen!
  • edited September 17
    This is kind of a sad achievement, but I wanted to see how high a medium score could go on "Dance With Somebody" ... and ended up beating a 4* Expert score by one of my crewmates. :'(

ETA: Principal of a Homeschool Moment: #1 XP in Bronze, although that was due to a technical error.
  • My achievement is I finally 5 starred You Should Be Dancing on guitar decreasing my number of 4 starred songs to 6 (Can't Be Tamed, Thrasher, Nevermore, Satch Boogie, OGAP and TTFAF).
  • @grumblevolcano That's pretty impressive man, I've been unable to get that five star on YSBD for ages. Any tips? Also do you own Caprici di Diablo, Pulse of the Maggots, Rude Mood, Superstition, Testify, or Wait and Bleed? Those are on my 4-star list in addition to your own (though I did manage to 5-star Can't Be Tamed once by pure luck).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited September 15

My achievement is I finally 5 starred You Should Be Dancing on guitar decreasing my number of 4 starred songs to 6 (Can't Be Tamed, Thrasher, Nevermore, Satch Boogie, OGAP and TTFAF).

I know how you can get 5-stars on those elusive songs... lower the difficulty and voila, ;)
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 20
    Congrats @CALO22 ! I five star'd that song today on expert drums, but not an fc. ( not even close.) One of my favorite songs of all time in RB. All 9 minutes of it.
  • I did a GS on Phantom of the Opera (Vox) -- Several 970+ rated vocalists are now upset. :blush:
  • I somehow managed to get bass FCs on both Viva La Resistance and Hey Man Nice Shot this week. Lots of jumping and shouting ensued.
  • edited September 29
    @Redskinsrock2689 Nice work man that is very impressive! I've found that I'm plateauing at 985 skill on bass (982 on guitar), any tips on what to do to raise it? Does getting FC's have more weight than just GS? Unfortunately I think I'm weighed down by a bunch of plain 5 stars on devil tier songs... That said there's no frickin way I'd be able to GS Roundabout on bass, so maybe I'm just not 1000 skill material.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

@Redskinsrock2689 Nice work man that is very impressive! I've found that I'm plateauing at 985 skill on bass (982 on guitar), any tips on what to do to raise it? Does getting FC's have more weight than just GS? Unfortunately I think I'm weighed down by a bunch of plain 5 stars on devil tier songs... That said there's no frickin way I'd be able to GS Roundabout on bass, so maybe I'm just not 1000 skill material.

FC's don't impact your skill rating. Only way to get a perfect 1000 (discussed in the 900 skill points thread) is to gold star everything you play.

To raise your scores, sort songs by Tier and concentrate on Tiers that have the most non-gold stars and tiers that have the fewest # of songs played. Getting any of those songs to Gold will have the most impact on increasing your skill rating.

• djb5f1 said:

FC's don't impact your skill rating. Only way to get a perfect 1000 (discussed in the 900 skill points thread) is to gold star everything you play.

To raise your scores, sort songs by Tier and concentrate on Tiers that have the most non-gold stars and tiers that have the fewest # of songs played. Getting any of those songs to Gold will have the most impact on increasing your skill rating.

I did not know this, thank you! If that's the case though, I'm probably SOL on getting that 1000 skill but oh well, it was an elusive goal anyway.
  • Got my first ever 5 star of Operation Ground and Pound on Expert Pro Drums just now. Woooooo

P.S. I find it funny how barely a 5 star score for that song is 74th on the Xbox leaderboards.
  • This was the first week since Rivals started that something was more important than my spotlights or XP count.
  • zabigg said:

This was the first week since Rivals started that something was more important than my spotlights or XP count.

Well what was more important?