It's probably just me but... (regarding Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists list)

HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
edited August 2008 in History of Rock
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/print

I was bored yesterday, so I looked up this list again after having seen in numerous times. Now, I might be just imagining it, but I could have sworn that the list originally included Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd, in addition to some other things I noticed.

Again, I might be just remembering wrongly, but I thought it was worth bringing up anyway.

Comments

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Limelight;942141 said:
    Allow me to summarize the future of this thread:

Frank Zappa should be higher, this list sucks.

John Frusciante, among others, should be lower, this list sucks.

Why they hell is John Frusciante on this list?!

WHERE IS CHUCK SCHULDINER ROLLING STONE SUCXX

RoLLInG StOnE iS ***
    I took you up on your challenge :P

Honestly, I don't know how John Frusciante or Tom Morello, among others rank much higher than Frank Zappa. That is sheer blasphemy. This list seems much more like it's based on popularity. On the other hand, which top anything list isn't?
  • blue_dragonzeroblue_dragonzero Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Hungryfreak;942447 said:
    I took you up on your challenge :P

Honestly, I don't know how John Frusciante or Tom Morello, among others rank much higher than Frank Zappa.
    He was a bit sloppy, it can't be helped that he's lower on the list. Just be glad that they acknowledged Zappa.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    True. I was expecting to be disappointed when I searched for his name, haha. Rolling Stones has frequently acknowledged Frank Zappa, but always to a lesser extent than many undeserving musicians. That is not to say that those musicians in question are bad, but how they can be placed above Frank Zappa is beyond me. That might come from my completely subjective love for anything Frank Zappa, though, but I think I'm safe in saying that Frank Zappa was a much better musician than any of the Chlli (especially guitar-wise, considering they're a bass-centric band)
    edited July 2008
    RS is probably referring to songs like Snow for RHCP.

I haven't checked, but I hope that Alex Lifeson isn't high on the list. He's great, but his solos can be quite sloppy. And there are quite a few who perform live to a T. And Alex doesn't improvise much either, which is a setback as well.
  • LimelightLimelight Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    blue_dragonzero;942542 said:

I haven't checked, but I hope that Alex Lifeson isn't high on the list. He's great, but his solos can be quite sloppy. And there are quite a few who perform live to a T. And Alex doesn't improvise much either, which is a setback as well.
    Knowing that you are a huge Rush nut, I did the closest thing to a double-take you can do while looking at a computer screen, and actually disagree with you on the sloppyness.

He does seem to hate improvising, though.
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Come on guys... Who cares about John Frusciante... Why the **** are Jack White and Johnny Ramone there?

Also, I thought that Steve Howe was higher last I checked.
    edited July 2008
    Hamsterhitman;942663 said:
    Come on guys... Who cares about John Frusciante... Why the **** are Jack White and Johnny Ramone there?

I see my predictions were accurate to the letter.

I'm like ***king Nostradamus.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    To defend Jack, he can play lead and rythem at the same time

Johnny invented the Punk Downstroke.

And I'll do a Hungryfreak:
    Limelight;942141 said:
    Eddie Van Halen should be higher, this list sucks.

Chuck Berry should be lower, this list sucks.

Why they hell is Kurt Cobain on this list?!

WHERE IS BUCKETHEAD ROLLING STONE SUCXX
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Eh... Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with this thread... there has been about 1 post so far that actually had to do with the topic I brought up in the first place.
    edited July 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;942795 said:

And I'll do a Hungryfreak:
    Oh, You did NOT just talk down about Chuck Berry around ME. *rolls up sleeves*
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008

For Johnny, he pretty much invented punk and influenced most other punk bands and lots of metal bands.

I forget who said it, but someone said "The Rolling Stone has a man crush on Jack White."
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    blue_dragonzero;942542 said:

Lifeson's not on the list at all, Rolling Stones has only put Rush on one list.

The "Dirty Pleasure" Bands. #1.
    edited July 2008
    Quinarvy;943433 said:
    Lifeson's not on the list at all, Rolling Stones has only put Rush on one list.

The "Dirty Pleasure" Bands. #1.
    The thread will now have to be be locked for RS hate.

WTF! To quote a prediction, "ROLLING STONE SUCXX!"

And in regards to Lifeson, sloppy solos happen frequently to him live. Now, he may have been off that night, but when I saw them he had a few problems with some solos. The main reason that this bugs me is that he won't improvise! Even when he messes up on a part he doesn't try to make it sound better, while most great guitarists would.
  • RaiRai Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Chuck Berry practically invented rock lead guitar, and easily should be higher than Eddie Van Halen. Johnny Ramone was placed on the list for the fact that his guitar part was revolutionary, the playing of three, four chords max during a song. Jack White is a guitar genius. The "bass" part in "Seven Nation Army"? All him. In addition, he is the only guitarist in the band unlike a certain Eddie Van Halen. Plus, he managed to get on the cover of RS with the Glimmer Twins.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008

I don't know if Jack White deserves to be as high as he is, but he indeed deserves to be on the list. When there is nothing but drums and guitar (and vocals), it's hard to make a song that doesn't sounds empty. Even live, the sounds don't seem empty at all. Jack has his own style and is more than just a good player.
  • Clash98Clash98 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    The biggest problem i had with the list was it had Kim (I don;t know his last name) of soundgarden made it on the list.
  • LoucifelLoucifel Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    The main thing that bothers me about this list is that it wasn't made by musicians, but by some journalist. Some of those placings are just ridiculous. Sure, Kurt Cobain was very influential and important for grunge and all, but being the 12th best guitarist ever seems just a little bit far fetched, especially since the guitar was never anything he got known for.
    About Chuck Berry being better than EVH is debatable, but EVH's placing is still disgustingly low. Somehow it feels like the write of that list hasn't really investigated the guitarists he put on the list (or excluded from it).

Oh, and on topic: I saw this list for the first time a few months ago, and I don't remember Rossington being on there. Could be wrong, but I don't have any definite memory of him being on the list.
  • edited July 2008
    Loucifel;951619 said:
    The main thing that bothers me about this list is that it wasn't made by musicians, but by some journalist. Some of those placings are just ridiculous. Sure, Kurt Cobain was very influential and important for grunge and all, but being the 12th best guitarist ever seems just a little bit far fetched, especially since the guitar was never anything he got known for.
    About Chuck Berry being better than EVH is debatable, but EVH's placing is still disgustingly low. Somehow it feels like the write of that list hasn't really investigated the guitarists he put on the list (or excluded from it).

Oh, and on topic: I saw this list for the first time a few months ago, and I don't remember Rossington being on there. Could be wrong, but I don't have any definite memory of him being on the list.
    Kurt Cobain is 12th? That settles it. That list is bull****. Kurt Cobain is not an amazing guitarist by any stretch of the imagination.
  • edited July 2008
    Hamsterhitman;941817 said:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/print

I was bored yesterday, so I looked up this list again after having seen in numerous times. Now, I might be just imagining it, but I could have sworn that the list originally included Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd, in addition to some other things I noticed.

Again, I might be just remembering wrongly, but I thought it was worth bringing up anyway.
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I remember seeing Gary too. I don't care, Rolling Stone is horrible. They don't put Gary on there, but Kurt Cobain is 12th??? They have no clue what they're doing.
  • PastorO MuppetsPastorO Muppets Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    70 Eddie Van Halen
    82 David Gilmour
    85 Randy Rhoads

WTF! did they add these guys just cus they thought someone would get pissed if they didnt? Sure seems like it.

Go look at the list of best solos and see how many gilmour has on the list you think they could of at least rated him higher

I guess this is why I dont think rolling stone is a viable source of info for anything music, decent pictures but dont read it

87 Joan Jett
    Did anybody even know she played guitar? I'm sure they coulda found someone to take this spot, uhh maybe someone from Iron Maiden, or one o the Schenker bros I mean im just pullin stuff outta the hat and i can do better than Joan Jett?
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited August 2008
    It's common knowledge that Rolling Stone is full of crap.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited August 2008
    I think you misremembered.
  • HeavyChainsHeavyChains Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    Most bogus list ever. Malmsteen not even on there shows how smart those idiot rs journalists are.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited August 2008
    Where the hell is Jeff Loomis? Dave Mustaine? Alex Lifeson? Buckethead? Jeff Loomis?
    Metal guitarists in general got the royal shaft on this list. Kirk Hammet and Tony Iommi were the only ones to get respect. EVH and Randy Rhodes should have been much higher. Mustaine, Loomis, Laiho, and others should have been on the list as well.
    I won't even touch some of the ridiculously overrated guitarists on the list.

I lied. JOHNNY RAMONE!?!?! KURT COBAIN!?!?! WTF RS?
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    These things are just great grounds for arguments, but David Gilmour, Steve Howe, Brian May and Robert Fripp were all on the list. Rolling Stone usually hates Progressive rock so seeing those guys on the list (and they couldn't leave Gilmour off) was nice. :)

And John McLaughlin was on the list too. Cool. :)
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited August 2008
    Limelight;942141 said:
    Allow me to summarize the future of this thread:

_Angus Young____ should be higher, this list sucks.

_Kurt Cobain______ should be lower, this list sucks.

Why they hell is ___Leigh Stephens_______ on this list?!

WHERE IS __Slash____ ROLLING STONE SUCXX

RoLLInG StOnE iS SH*T

_leftover ____ _crack__ SUCKS

NO, YOU SUCK

NO, YOU SUCK

YOU BOTH SUCK, SHUT UPPPP

YOU SHUT UP BECAUSE YOUR AN IDIOT

*LOCK*
    /thread.....
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited August 2008
    Bands with two or more guitarists on the list:
    The Allman Brothers (Dickey Betts, Derek Trucks, Duane Allman, Warren Haynes)
    The Yardbirds (Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Paige)
    MC5 (Wayne Kramer, Fred "Sonic" Smith)
    Sonic Youth (Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo)
    Radiohead (Ed O'Brien, Jonny Greenwood)
    Electric Sheep (Tom Morello, Adam Jones)
    edited August 2008
    m00p;965303 said:
    /thread.....
    I'm beginning to think the point of that post is soaring way over everybody's head...