Comments

• tommysparxxxtommysparxxx Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;942918 said:

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

i was thinking about kurt too, but idt he was that great of a guitarist, like nirvana will always be number 1 in my heart next to the misfits, no homo, but i gave it sum thought and idt he was that great of a guitarist, but still good, c'mon in In Bloom its mostly all bass, but he does play while singing and thats pretty hard to do.

i wanna add thurston moore from sonic youth up in here too lol
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2008
    ^Yes! Thunders is the 5th Sex Pistol!

How about:
    Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
    Dimebag (Pantera, Damageplan)
    Don Felder (The Eagles)
    Jade (AFI)
    Johnny Marr (The Smiths, and a few others I think)

Adam Jones (Tool)
    Steve Stevens (Billy Idol, Michael Jackson)
    Robby Krieger (The Doors)
    Mark Tremonti (Creed)
    Marcus Hendrson (Drist, Bootsy Collens)
    Synister Gates (A7X)
    Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chaines)
    Wes Borland (Lim Bizkit)
    Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
    Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)
    Lindsay Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)

John 5 (Marilyn Manson, Solo)
    James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins)
    And Finnally KK Downing and Glen Tipton (Judas Priest.)
    Great list! The ones in bold are some of my favorites. Unfortunately, I doubt many of them would be well-received in a formal Battle.

Kurt Cobain: I love his guitar playing style (or lack thereof), but he's constantly targeted on and off these forums for playing too "simply". Just look at the backlash he gets whenever Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists are brought up. He was number 11 on the list, too, so I'm not sure if he'd still qualify for underrated territory.

Jade Puget and Wes Borland: Both musicians, although talented, receive a lot of negative attention because of the bands they are/were in.

Johnny Marr: Woah. Somebody actually knows who Johnny is!

Marcus Henderson: He might work, actually, as Marcus is pretty well-known amongst fans of GHI & GHII. I'd say a definite 'no' if this poll took place on a non-HMX board, though.

Kim Thayil: Another one that might actually work. He's fairly well-known, but he's not all that famous, either.

Johnny Thunders: Johnny is one of my favorite guitarists, but he's probably too unknown, even for this poll.

Lindsay Buckingham: Definately deserves a spot in the Battle. His fingerpicking is legendary.

Steve Stevens: I could see this going either way. He's usually overshadowed by Billy, but he can definately play. He composed the soundtrack for some surfing documentary, if I remember correctly?

As for the rest of the list, Dimebag isn't really underrated, but I could also see Jerry Cantrell, Adam Jones, Robby Krieger, and John 5 making the cut.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    ^Yes! Thunders is the 5th Sex Pistol!
    How about:
    Robby Krieger (The Doors)
    Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chaines)
    And Finnally KK Downing and Glen Tipton (Judas Priest.)
    I agree with those^

I would like to suggest:
    Johnny Ramone (The Ramones)
    Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
    Glen Buxton (Alice Cooper)
    Mick Ronson (David Bowie)
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Where's Billy Corgan? Kurt Cobain is OVERRATED, not underrated.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    a21schizoidman;942851 said:
    no stupidass joke entries and Mustaine, Taylor, and Buckethead are all well rated
    My problem with these discussion is always -- how do we establish rating? And just being highly rated doesn't preclude being underrated.

Underrated to me has always meant "doesn't get the popular attention or praise he/he deserves." By that criterion, if you compare the praise/acclaim that the "big three" of English guitarists (Clapton, Beck and Page) from Mick's era are rated with what the four of them actually do -- then Taylor is way underrated.

But if you want no doubt completely underrated, consider Steve Morse, David Hidalgo of Los Lobos and Joe Bonamassa. Steve Morse gets plenty of critical acclaim, but for a guitarist of his ability he is way underrated by the public at large. Of all these, the guy that I think most captures the spirit of "I had no idea he was this good" is Hidalgo. Consider that Clapton has invited him to both Crossroads festivals now. Bonamassa is just not very well known -- but those who do know him recognize how insanely good he is. And Morse works with a band that is widely believed to be past its prime (Deep Purple) -- which is probably true, but doesn't take away from the fact this guy is as good as it gets in rock.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    I said Cobain because outside of that Rolling Stone list, he's always believed to be horrible. Kurt is overrated as a person, but not as a guitarist.
    edited July 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;944299 said:
    I said Cobain because outside of that Rolling Stone list, he's always believed to be horrible. Kurt is overrated as a person, but not as a guitarist.
    No, he's pretty overrated as a guitarist considering Smells Like Teen Spirit was voted to have one of the top 30 guitar solos... also, James Iha is underrated for a reason, Billy Corgan is simply just a better guitarist. James Iha isn't the one doing the better solos by the Pumpkins in case you didn't know.
    edited July 2008
    No he's underrated. He gets tons of hate on boards like this.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited July 2008
    You should include Janick Gers. He is HIGHLY underrated.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;944718 said:
    You should include Janick Gers. He is HIGHLY underrated.
    I agree. He's always been in the shadows of Adrian and Dave and many fans, incorrectly place blame on him and Blaze for Maiden's downward slide.
  • tommysparxxxtommysparxxx Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    since wen is johnny ramone consider underratted? i always thought he was well known for kickin ass
  • wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Alex Lifeson anyone? He's terribly underrated.
    edited July 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;944462 said:
    No he's underrated. He gets tons of hate on boards like this.
    I've never seen anything but love guy. More people ask for him to come back to the Pumpkins than D'Arcy.
    edited July 2008
    Hastyl3;947276 said:
    I've never seen anything but love guy. More people ask for him to come back to the Pumpkins than D'Arcy.
    I was talking about Kurt, not James Iha.
  • gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    how about todd rundgren reeves gabriel
  • chillzatlchillzatl Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Cobain was an average guitar player, period. Good song writer, average musician, at best. Much like Slash.

Prince is easily one of, if not the most underrated guitar player in history. The guy is simply fantastic with a guitar (or bass, or keyboards) on top of being an amazing song writer. Eddie Van halen once said of him (on a similar topic). "He does just enough to make you think he's a genius, but never enough to confirm it either way".

James Iha is a far better guitar player than Billy Corgan. Corgan, while I love his music, is more about good riffs and good songs than pure guitar skills.
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited July 2008
    George Harrison was a great guitarist who is often underrated. He's number three on Rolling Stone's list of the twenty five most underrated guitarists.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/10/01/the-twenty-five-most-underrated-guitarists/
    edited July 2008
    George Harrison has tons of fans, probably more than McCartney, so I wouldn't agree.
  • Clash98Clash98 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I need some Philly pride so where is Tommy Conwell? i don't expect maybe anybody to no him but i think he really deserves it.
  • Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Peter De Jong of The Heroes. Just watch this video and see (Skip to 2:03 for the guitar solo if you're lazy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm9qJl2f2hE&fmt=18
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Mick Ronson is heavily underrated, same for John Squire and J. Mascis.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    Stewie;949460 said:
    George Harrison was a great guitarist who is often underrated. He's number three on Rolling Stone's list of the twenty five most underrated guitarists.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/10/01/the-twenty-five-most-underrated-guitarists/
    yes, he is underrated by the journalists and such, but the fans know he is not underrated, anyone who tends to know music will never mention him as being underrated, he is a great guitarist
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    What about Robert Quine? He worked with everyone from Richard Hell to Tom Waits to Matthew Sweet. His guitar on Girlfriend was highlighted in GHII (I'd love to see this make its way back to Rock Band).
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited August 2008
    back_blows;944739 said:
    I agree. He's always been in the shadows of Adrian and Dave and many fans, incorrectly place blame on him and Blaze for Maiden's downward slide.
    All three of the Maiden guitarists should be here. When's the last time you heard Davey or Adrian mentioned in a talk like this one?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited August 2008
    King_Nuthin;958543 said:
    What about Robert Quine? He worked with everyone from Richard Hell to Tom Waits to Matthew Sweet. His guitar on Girlfriend was highlighted in GHII (I'd love to see this make its way back to Rock Band).
    Agreed! Robert's playing is one of the reasons why I want Girlfriend as a full album DLC, although I'm not sure if he played on all of the tracks on that record. I love his tone.

Some other overlooked guitarists worth mentioning:

James Honeyman Scott (The Pretenders)
    Matthew Ashman (Bow Wow Wow)
    Roger McGuinn (The Byrds)
    J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)
    Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar)
    Johnny Marr (Smiths)
    Captain Sensible (The Damned)
    Dr. Know (Bad Brains)
    Greg Ginn (Black Flag)
    Dick Dale
    East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys)
    Thurston Moore/Lee Renaldo (Sonic Youth)
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    ^I mentioned J. Mascis though I'm ashamed I forgot Thurston Moore and East Bay Ray. Also to mention Kevin Shields.
  • HeavyChainsHeavyChains Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    How about ....

Tony MacAlpine ....not only is he a mad genius on guitar, he also tears it up on piano/keyboard.

Greg Howe ...simply amazing guitarist

Guthrie Govan .... just found out about this guy on youtube...ridiculously goOd!

And I'm surprised I haven't seen "SHAWN LANE" mentioned on this lame board at all!!??!! Shawn Lane would easily DESTROY all the popular blues players and oldies rock players that are always mentioned on this board.
    edited August 2008
    battles 5 & 6 are up

also, im already planning out a Battle of the Underrated Guitarists 2

possible list of contenders for 2

1. Pat Travers
    2. Albert King
    3. Larry Coryell
    4. Steve Cropper
    5. James Honeyman Scott
    6. Roger McGuinn
    7. Mark Knopfler
    8. Robby Krieger
    9. Mick Ronson
    10. Paco de Lucia
    11. Django Reinhardt
    12. Ritchie Blackmore
    13. Stanley Clarke
    14. Jan Akkerman
    15. Michael Schenker
    16. Martin Barre
    17. Robert Cray
    18. Carl Weathersby (pending)
    19. Greg Howe
    20. Ronnie Montrose
    21. Dickie Betts
    22. Kenny Wayne Shepherd
    23. John Cipollina
    24. Joe Bonamassa
    25. Steve Lukather
    26. Dick Dale
    27. Michael Romeo
    28. Andy Summers
    29. Thurston Moore
    30. Lowell George
    31. Rik Emmitt
    32. Trey Anastasio
    33. Justin Hayward
    34. Jonny Lang,
    35. Wayne Kramer
    36. Tim Farriss

2 more entries for it compared to 1, and still more possibilities to go with it

but, we have to go through the initial one first
    edited August 2008
    #2 Roster:

1. Pat Travers vs Greg Howe
    2. Albert King vs Lowell George
    3. James Honeyman Scott vs Ronnie Montrose
    4. Paco de Lucia vs Django Reinhardt
    5. Roger McGuinn vs John Cipollina
    6. Steve Cropper vs Joe Bonamassa
    7. Robby Krieger vs Jonny Lang
    8. Mick Ronson vs Trey Anastasio
    9. Ritchie Blackmore vs Michael Schenker
    10. Jan Akkerman vs Michael Romeo
    11. Martin Barre vs Justin Hayward
    12. Dickie Betts vs Kenny Wayne Shepherd
    13. Steve Lukather vs Thurston Moore
    14. Dick Dale vs. Wayne Kramer
    15. Andy Summers vs Tim Farriss
    16. Mark Knopfler vs Rik Emmitt
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    Heres a few extremely taleneted guitarists that get next to no recognition that could have been good candidates for this as well

Michael Schenker (UFO, MSG)
    Ulich Jon Roth (Scorpions, Eletric Sun, Solo)
    Gary Moore ( Thin Lizzy, Solo)