Idea: Rock Band forum music blog

HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
edited January 2011 in History of Rock
[CENTER]Rock Band Forum Music Blog[/CENTER]

The idea:
This may sound stupid at first, but hear me out. People on this forum have great and varied music tastes for the most part. I was thinking that maybe a few of us should put that to use and make a blog to expose people to various bands that people don't usually hear of or material that well-known bands put out but people rarely hear.

Now the essence of a music blog is usually letting people download music. What I was thinking of, though, was that we would make compilations of songs by artists, instead of full albums, not to let people take it for free, but to encourage them to buy albums by the artists if they happen to like the material.

If anyone's with me, here's how I plan to do it. Now, you can have multiple authors to a blog, so that will allow a few of us to work on it, though I don't know the limit. We would have to give a small collection of songs that would give an idea of the artists music, however big or small it needs to be. Obviously we would tag the collection with the genres of the artist (or perhaps make a collection for a specific genre).

Is anyone with me? If I get at least five people with me on this, I'll start up the blog. If people think this is a bad idea, I haven't created it yet, so no harm done.

And mods, feel free to close this if you think this idea would be considered illegal. It would be great if we could get this up and running, but if you feel the need to shut this down, I won't hold it against you.
Current authors:

Hungryfreak (Gabriel)
JukeBoxHero
Oz1215
afterstasis
a21schizoidman
schmeankman (Jordan)
Runesmith
sg327
polishdog90 (Louis Ramsay)
BhindBluEyes430
Mystlyfe77 (Mystlyfe)
WhiffleBallTony
Sgt Pepper
Soror_YZBL
pmpboarder
Timmay9
Gowienczyk
bierfaht
ShiningIdeal
Meatwad555
Lolicat

Joining:

To join, all you need to do is register at the site and post the email you used here or send it in PM to Afterstasis or I. Either of us will invite you and you should be able to accept the invite through your email. There are no requirements to join and room for 100 authors.

Uploading and Format:

To upload, go to iTunes and right click the song you want. "Show in finder" or something of the like should appear. Click that, copy the song and put it somewhere else for easy access. Once you have them all in place. Select them all, right click and you should get the option to compress the files. Then upload it at a certain site. I use Mediafire.com but there are others.

For the format for posting an entry, just follow my examples. The title is the name of the compilation. Try to find a picture of your artist or one that describes the genre and center it. If you wish, you may write a small summary on the artist or music. Then put a track listing (if you're doing multiple artists, artist first then song) and finally put the link to download under that and add tags for that describe the genre.

Guidelines:

Any music choice is fine. If you're making a compilation of multiple artists, try to make them fit under the same genres in case someone is looking for specific genres.

Try sticking with obscure or under-appreciated bands and songs, though it is fine if you don't adhere to that. Only use as many songs as you think you need to give an idea of the artist or genre or what have you.

The only solid rule that I'll enforce is no full albums. If you have a band with only one album, just take a few songs from the album, compared to the amount of songs on the album (if there are 5 songs, take only one, maybe two. If there are 30 songs, take five or six).

Edit: Since it seems to have come up, full albums are allowed if and only if the band has already made the entire album available for free. If you do wish to add one of these albums, please note that in the post.

Comments

• Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited August 2008
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    You're on a roll with good thread topics. The only disadvantage I see would be that people's musical tastes are so different here on the forum. There's been a few times I've thought about starting threads for music that's not considered "rock" (older R&B for instance) and didn't do it.

I like reading through posts and picking up on info. about artists or groups so I think you have a good idea.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I like this idea. I probably wouldn't be able to do it, but I would if I had to in order to get this going.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2008
    I would help you man, I would be very excited at the prospect of that type of thing
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited August 2008
    Count me in! I'd be interested in compiling punk, goth, post-punk, and New Wave play lists. I can do other genres, as well, but my knowledge is comparitively limited when they fall outside of my usual music types.

However, just out of curiosity, would the blog use Youtube videos to represent each song?
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited August 2008
    Thank you for your support. I will set one up at Blogger.com.

I was saying that people would download the packs. While that sounds similar to downloading albums at first, it is meant to whet the appetite and let people choose to buy full albums if they are interested in the music.

Also, if anyone needs to know how to upload, compress the file first into a .zip or .rar file and upload it to a specific site. I usually use Mediafire.
    edited August 2008
    Alright tell me when the first blog post is and I'll be ready with a song.
    edited August 2008
    The idea is compilations, but single songs should be okay. When you want to start, create an account at the site and post the email address I'll add it to the list of authors so you can post. Follow the template given; Image of the artist if you can, short summary of the artist (optional), track listing and link to the download.

Rock Band Forum Music

We can work on the name, picture and colors later. Also, this is just what I'm doing, but I think it would be best for people in general to not post the most popular songs since then the compilation might be the only songs they want (like if you posted a Jimi Hendrix compilation with Purple Haze, All Along the Watchtower and The Wind Cries Mary among others). Try to expose people to the music and make them buy the better-known stuff if they want it. That's my opinion, anyways.

If you have any questions, just ask away.
    edited August 2008
    Alright my address is [email]cygnus.unggoy@gmail.com[/email]
    edited August 2008
    There we go. Sent you the invite. Sorry for the wait, was watching The Venture Brothers.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    i would like to join this idea! (please)
    edited August 2008
    Alright man, I'll have a blog up for Spock's Beard tomorrow.

I can also do another band if you like(since Frank Zappa and Spock's Beard fall into the same category).
    edited August 2008
    It's okay. Spocks Beard is definitely less known and that's what this blog is for.
    a21schizoidman;968694 said:
    i would like to join this idea! (please)
    Of course you can join. Anyone is welcome. Just register there and post the email you registered with so I can invite you.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    my email is [email]njh05@yahoo.com[/email]

ill be working on a blog later this week, im gonna be going on a trip from Mon. til Thurs.

ill prolly work on a blog for Van Der Graaf Generator
    edited August 2008
    There you go, sent the invitation. Thank you for your support, people!

Also, since I know this is going to apply to me in the future, if you have a band you want to share that has only one album, you only own one album of a band you want to share or you only want to share bits from one album, it's okay to do so, but just remember to only do a few compared to the amount of songs in the album. If you have an album with a short number of songs and think that it is only fitting to share one, then it's okay to share the one, but then might be a good time to use it in a genre compilation (unless you really want to focus on that band in particular).
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Sounds pretty cool! :cool:
  • Oz1215Oz1215 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I'd be all for helping with this, there may not be that much i can contribute, but there are some bands i could do (Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Rush, Yes just to name a few.)
    i could definitely work in the Metal genre and (somewhat) progressive to progressive-metal genre

I dont know the earliest time i could write a blog, probably later this week.

my email is [email]oz1215@gmail.com[/email]

edit: after listening to that Zappa compilation you put together, i was impressed, i never really bothered listening to him, but after hearing that, I'll probably scrounge around my dad's CDs to see if He has any of Zappa's albums.
    edited August 2008
    Sent you the invite.

And I'm glad you liked my Zappa compilation. That's what this music blog is for. I can't wait to see it up running.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Great idea HF! I look forward to reading these , should be great with the quality of posters that have signed up to participate.
    edited August 2008
    Thank you. If you want to join, too, that would be great. I've got room. I can apparently have up to 100 authors on this, haha.
    edited August 2008
    I put up a new entry earlier today.

If anyone wants to help out, just register and give me the email you registered with! Got a lot of room. It doesn't matter how obscure or common your taste is, necessarily. A good combination of obscure and under-appreciated may be just what we need.
    edited August 2008
    Hungryfreak;970808 said:
    I put up a new entry earlier today.

If anyone wants to help out, just register and give me the email you registered with! Got a lot of room. It doesn't matter how obscure or common your taste is, necessarily. A good combination may be just what we need.
    I'll give you my e-mail.... I think I'll wait a little bit and see what some of the others are like before I try one. (Your's was pretty cool btw).
    edited August 2008
    Sent you the invite. Don't worry, take your time. I'm sure in a week or two, this should be up and running. And thank you.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap! I just looked at the site for the first time, that looks awesome man! Just addded it to my favorites for easy access. Well done!
    edited August 2008
    Thank you. I'm glad you and everyone else to this point like it so far.

I'm hoping I can maybe get this pinned when things start moving for easy access (something pinned in the History of Rock forum Blasphemy! Haha).
    edited August 2008
    Hungryfreak;971395 said:

I'm hoping I can maybe get this pinned when things start moving for easy access (something pinned in the History of Rock forum Blasphemy! Haha).
    That would be pretty neat. Julio had one he typed a while back over in the "General" section I thought should have been pinned over here in HoR. Had to do with general rules to follow when posting or something like that.
    edited August 2008
    [email]Chris@carmackonline.com[/email]
    edited August 2008
    Sent you an invite Darkside
    sg327;971879 said:
    That would be pretty neat. Julio had one he typed a while back over in the "General" section I thought should have been pinned over here in HoR. Had to do with general rules to follow when posting or something like that.
    I think I'll have to contact a mod for that. We rarely get mods around here. I guess we're that good, haha.
    edited August 2008
    Hungryfreak;972142 said:
    Sent you an invite Darkside

I think I'll have to contact a mod for that. We rarely get mods around here. I guess we're that good, haha.
    I assume it comes via e-mail, right? I can't find anything for it on my profile.
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... I don't know how people have received it. I just sent out.

[email]Chris@carmackonline.com[/email] right? I'll send it out again.