Harmonix Interview

FeignedFeigned Opening Act
edited November 2007 in Rock Band
Tomorrow I have the pleasure of heading over to Harmonix Studios and hanging out with some of the HMX crew. I know we've all seen a lot of interviews in the past, but I'd like to make this one a little different. The community is a huge part of what Rock Band is all about, so I'd like to see what questions you guys want answered.

Obviously they aren't going to be revealing new tracks or DLC pricing, so I'm not going to try and squeeze these things out of them. I've only just found out at the last minute that I'm going, otherwise I'd have given this thread a little more time to grow.

Anyway, I'm really stoaked about this trip and have been dying to get my hands on the game again since the Tour was in Chicago. Yea, I've played the demo in Best Buy, but it's just not the same. I'll check on this before I head out tomorrow, and I'll try to get a few of your burning questions answered.

Comments

• AdamBomb629AdamBomb629 Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Maybe you can try and get some info about the leaderboard or linking of gamertags to online standings (like GH3)?
  • monstradomonstrado Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    How does the DLC work online? If one person in the band doesn't have the song for example, thanks
  • peachpunker63peachpunker63 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    yeah try and get some info about the online stuff and ask them some questions about the single player mode because we havnt really heard much about that. i would like to know what all you can do in single player mode aside from BTW.
  • MdubMediaMdubMedia Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Cool. Can you find out if there will be any sort of contests once it's up and running on Xbox Live?

A way to view performances, either your own, or online games?
  • TigerbotTigerbot Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    How about something along the lines of how long it would take to go through all of the Band World Tour mode...I'm sure it's much longer than GH, but it'd be nice to have a good estimate...
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Comments on the failures of Best Buy guitars: prototypes, abuse, or just fragile?

Will DLC be handled through the common marketplace, or through a unique GUI?

Is an online BWT patch confirmed, or simply desired?

Will there be inventory to replace broken peripherals in a timely fashion near launch?
  • SchultzySchultzy Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Can you customize the other members in your band in single player, cause it would be weird if you have a rock style going and the rest of your band is in emo styled clothing.

Also, will there be clothes and stuff as DLC?
  • 85_SWB85_SWB Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    Will ps2 GH1 and 2 SGs work with the adapter for ps2 controller to usb?
  • MaineDrummerMaineDrummer Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Single player mode
    Guitar durability?
    View player performances?
    Free form practice?
    Plans for DLC other then more songd/albums?

..are a few Q's going around.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Schultzy;105147 said:
    Can you customize the other members in your band in single player, cause it would be weird if you have a rock style going and the rest of your band is in emo styled clothing.
    SECONDED. This is my number one request, too. I want to know more about the solo tour, and its customizability -- band logos, band names, designing NPCs. The video evidence says we're SOL but I'd like confirmation from HMX that we're SOL (or hopefully, otherwise!)

Also, is BWT entirely playable on Easy? Short of the "hard/expert only extra challenges". I want to make sure if I go Bass+Vocals to lone wolf it that I can drop down if something's kicking my butt, instead of being flat out stuck.

Edit: I missed it in my rush to post but I also heartily second Bakkster's "Will online BWT be a patch, confirmed?" question. I'm guessing they'll dodge the issue because they don't want to promise and then possibly fail to deliver, but please, pose it anyway... this is very important for adult gamers.
  • edited November 2007
    Coolest feature that made it in the game?

Coolest feature that was not feasible/reasonable to add?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

Chances for a gong / cowbell peripheral? :D
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Bakkster;105144 said:

Will there be inventory to replace broken peripherals in a timely fashion near launch?
    don't bother with this one, it's definetly no.

anyways, ask about online stuff, what the single player is like, dlc price etc. I'm sure you already have a good idea anyways.
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Eman311;105175 said:
    don't bother with this one, it's definetly no.
    I think it's still worth asking, even if the expected answer is a 'no' or a dodge.
  • JackBNimbleJackBNimble Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    will all DLC from RB1 be playable with RB2? Just something to think about for the future!
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    I would love to find out more about the single player career, how its set up and what aspects it shares with World Tour Mode if any. I think that is the main thing we haven't had any info on.
  • NazrielNazriel Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    Single player mode functionality is a good topic.

Also, the blog post detailing the design process of the drums were a good in-depth look and very reassuring that they are resilient. Was a similar effort put into the guitars?

More specifically, are the guitars in Best Buys an earlier Revision Model? Can we expect a guitar which in theory could withstand multiple play-throughs of "Through Fire and Flame" with downstrums only? (And still be responsive of course)

I have not played GHIII past the demo, but the online videos show that that one song looks to be a good source of stress-testing for any peripheral.
  • TreoRock_TreoRock_ Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Could you ask how much is it going to cost for each DLC song and album? For the PS3 and Xbox (I guess..)
    Also, will all the GH songs be available for DLC?

Thanks,

Al
  • gobacktogogobacktogo Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    any info on the Canadian release situation, that'd be amazing. ;)
  • wes_jett2008wes_jett2008 Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    I have a ps2 version question...

1.Since the ps2 is coming out later then the other versions,Will it have some bonus content on the disk? Like some of the currently released DLC or somthing? Since we cant get DLC?...Or do they plan to do a rock the 80's type thing?.

2.Is a double bass pedal for the drums possible in the future?...just to get that one out of the way.

3.Another ps2 question...Is everything intact from the ps3/xbox versions(minus online) or did a feature or two have to be dropped to get all that awesome on the ps2?

All I got...

---Wes
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Can we use the same created characters in all game modes (as in, not having to remake every single rocker you've made in BWT to use them in Quickplay)
  • SmokaColaSmokaCola Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    I wish they would come out and confirm the Mic is USB, post it somewhere or something. I already know it's going to be a USB and plugged into the USBHub but so many people fight it and say it's plugged into the controller. That's all I really want settled.
  • SerothSeroth Unsigned
    edited November 2007
  • LogunnsBladeLogunnsBlade Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    The number 1 thing I would love to know is the region coding for the 360 version, as alot of gamers outside the US want the game & do not want to wait 4+ months to get our hands on it. I just really want to know if it works on a UK 360 as if it does not I will have to get a US console before the game arrives. If they do not have an answer for this question it would be nice to know if after the US launch if they plan on workin on a PAL version or get some DLC out in the US first & start work in the new year for other countries?
  • dodgykneesdodgyknees Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    As above. and a release date for UK please.
  • visualdeityvisualdeity Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Compatibility of the PS3 Strat with older GH titles, yes/no?

If no, is it because it's a PS3 limitation, or because of a software limitation? If it's a software limitation, is it something which can be fixed in the future, say, through a Sony firmware update?

If the ultimate answer to all of this is no, and we'll never be able to play our copies of GH1/2/80s on the PS3, do they think it's possible, even likely, to have those songs as DLC in Rock Band?

These are questions for which the PS3 community dearly needs answers :(
  • LesPaul5391LesPaul5391 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    whether or not the demo guitars that seem to be defective are the same guitars as the ones in the actual special edition bundles.
  • TerranovaTerranova Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Will us PS3 owners have the same lag problems with the strat that the GH3 Les paul is having, which is not video or audio related ie it's the dongle, and will there be a wired version of the strat released so we are at least on par with 360 owners.
  • Chris_GonzalezChris_Gonzalez Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Ask them if you can use the PS3 Strat to play the PS2 games. Please? I've been wondering this for a while, and the journalism places with full coppies haven't tried it and posted it yet (but they did post that it wouldn't work with GH3).
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    SmokaCola;105337 said:
    I wish they would come out and confirm the Mic is USB, post it somewhere or something. I already know it's going to be a USB and plugged into the USBHub but so many people fight it and say it's plugged into the controller. That's all I really want settled.
    Second. I want to know if those USB mikes and headsets from Karaoke Revolution can be used here -- the headset especially is key for folks who want to make an attempt at solo (voc+bass) BWT mode.

I know the XBL voice chat headset can be used (but at lower quality) but what about a generic, off the shelf USB mike?
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited November 2007
    Feigned;105116 said:

Obviously they aren't going to be revealing new tracks or DLC pricing, so I'm not going to try and squeeze these things out of them.
    Well, but it's about time the reveal this, since the game comes out very soon. But..hm... you could at least ask them when they reveal this info.

What I really want to know is, since the PS3 guitars of GHIII have lagging issues, will the Rockband guitars have similar problems?
    AND will the PS3 (!) (We know about X360 guitar from IGN) guitars from GH3 work with the Ps3 version of Rockband? (Since the guitar won't be available seperatly at launch)

Oh, and about the timing when hitting the chords - Will there be a bigger time window where you can hit the note like it is in Guitar Hero 3? I think this would be good, since it's easier then to play with beginners.

I'd also like to know something about BWT. For example:
    You and your brother want to play this game together. So you are only two people. You start a new band. Will you be able to create a whole band or just two characters? (And the CPU is creating the rest of the bands) As far as I know, you have to create a singer and the singer will stay the singer in this band and can't change to guitar, right?
    But you will have the possibility to join another band with this character and there he can be the guitar player, right?
    Ask them this, please. :p