Rock Band DLC Statosphere 08/12/2008 Last week: New low.. ;( This week: NEW HIGH! ;)

MrStatoMrStato Opening Act
edited August 2008 in Rock Band
Rock Band DLC Statosphere - stats for ALL downloadable songs.

First things first: Cruefest Pack 02 has a respectable opening week with "Life is Beautiful" being well ahead of the other 2. What a rebound from last week though where Yomp set a new first week low with a mere 1,946 (even at $0.99). This week System of a Down's "Toxicity" sets the new first week HIGH record with 37,906, thats over 5k more than the previous record holder (Disturbed's "Inside the Fire"). In other news: B.Y.O.B. becomes the 2nd place first week song. Sheesh. Now it will be more interesting to see if these two songs have the same loooong tail that the Disturbed songs had. Someone was wondering why theres no lack of hard rock lately?

Songs with first week stats above 25,000:
1) System of a Down "Toxicity" - 37,906
2) System of a Down "B.Y.O.B." - 35,229
3) Disturbed "Inside the Fire" - 32,886 (originally $0.99)
4) Lynyrd Skynyrd "Simple Man" - 30,228
5) Disturbed "Indestructible" - 29,267 (originally $0.99)
6) Vesuvius "Promised Land" - 28,482 (FREE DOWNLOAD)
7) The Who "Baba O'Riley" - 27,116
8) The Police "Message in a Bottle" - 25,819

Comments

  • ubwcoltubwcolt Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    I think you missed the point, Fennz.
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    ubwcolt;1020114 said:
    I think you missed the point, Fennz.
    what's the point?

    EDIT: Ooops. I misread the post. "There's NO lack of hard rock." my bad.
  • HellishFiendHellishFiend Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    Keep up the great work on the DLC stratosphere! I love stats!
  • zzledzzled Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    MrStato;1019962 said:
    Rock Band DLC Statosphere - stats for ALL downloadable songs.

    First things first: Cruefest Pack 02 has a respectable opening week with "Life is Beautiful" being well ahead of the other 2. What a rebound from last week though where Yomp set a new first week low with a mere 1,946 (even at $0.99). This week System of a Down's "Toxicity" sets the new first week HIGH record with 37,906, thats over 5k more than the previous record holder (Disturbed's "Inside the Fire"). In other news: B.Y.O.B. becomes the 2nd place first week song. Sheesh. Now it will be more interesting to see if these two songs have the same loooong tail that the Disturbed songs had. Someone was wondering why theres no lack of hard rock lately?

    Songs with first week stats above 25,000:
    1) System of a Down "Toxicity" - 37,906
    2) System of a Down "B.Y.O.B." - 35,229
    3) Disturbed "Inside the Fire" - 32,886 (originally $0.99)
    4) Lynyrd Skynyrd "Simple Man" - 30,228
    5) Disturbed "Indestructible" - 29,267 (originally $0.99)
    6) Vesuvius "Promised Land" - 28,482 (FREE DOWNLOAD)
    7) The Who "Baba O'Riley" - 27,116
    8) The Police "Message in a Bottle" - 25,819
    Thanks for compiling those numbers - pretty interesting statistics indeed. But looking at the site, those numbers only stretch back to releases since April right?

    Separately, I was just thinking that another interesting statistic would be number of weeks between DLC release and it reaching 100,000+ downloads. This would allow some level of comparability between the tracks with 100,000+ downloads.
  • HellishFiendHellishFiend Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    zzled;1020134 said:
    Separately, I was just thinking that another interesting statistic would be number of weeks between DLC release and it reaching 100,000+ downloads. This would allow some level of comparability between the tracks with 100,000+ downloads.
    "Weeks to 100k" does have a nice ring to it.
  • orionstarrorionstarr Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    How do you get those stats?





    ----------------
    Now playing: Foo Fighters - New Way Home
    via FoxyTunes
  • orionstarrorionstarr Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    Disturbed is lower than I expected?!
    Looks like system of a down is tearing up the DLC charts.
  • Bang CamaroBang Camaro Banned
    edited August 2008
    So Simple Man is one of the best selling DLC songs, and yet we STILL get no Skynyrd??? That is bull****.
  • orionstarrorionstarr Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    If I could I'd buy every single song on DLC.
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Princeps32;1020084 said:
    This forum wants dream theater and megadeath all the time, so those will do better than the other four tracks, but I think these insane SOAD numbers won't be matched for a very long time. It's a shame no one was keeping track of the starting numbers earlier, I wonder if even the Metallica tracks did this well in their first week.

    Also dang I didn't realize Life is Beautiful would be so popular either.
    well I'm sure HMX knows buit wil they ever tell? I'm guessing only if billboard shows interest in including DLC as trackable digital downlaods.
  • Dartagnan64Dartagnan64 Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    I'm impressed witht he SOAD numbers. I'm the only one of my friends that likes them (of course I'm 43 so I'm well outside their demographic).

    Life is Beautiful came as no shock since it was a pretty popular song on most rock stations over the spring time. That and the fact that its a great song on 3 instruments (vox, bass and lead guitar), means it should have staying power as well. Had a RB party last night with some friends and they wanted to play the song 3 times in one night, everyone enjoyed it a ton.
  • blackplastic22blackplastic22 Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Dear god, The System of a Down songs beat the Disturbed songs at two dollars while disturbed was 1, and with no faulty promotional thing.
  • frizzy_bjfrizzy_bj The Love Doctor & General Forum Guru
    edited August 2008
    I am really pleased that SoaD did well. They are my favorite band so I guess it is obvious that I would be happy.:)

    Thanks again MrStato for keeping up with the stats. I always look forward to seeing how everything ranks each week.
  • TheGodFather73TheGodFather73 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Bang Camaro;1020264 said:
    So Simple Man is one of the best selling DLC songs, and yet we STILL get no Skynyrd??? That is bull****.
    And Gimme Three Steps has been out since Jan 1, and it still hasn't broken 100k. What's your point exactly? I bought both tracks and like them, btw, I just don't understand your argument since there are several bands that have over 100k (and have had over 100k for a long time) that haven't gotten additional DLC yet.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Go, go, gadget Statosphere!

    That reminds me, I've been having so much fun playing Toxicity on drums this week, that I never got around to trying it on guitar. I'll have to get counted on next week's rankings!
  • mwlawmwlaw Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    SOAD doesn't surprise me - probably the two most popular songs from one of the most requested bands. If I had to guess I would say that this is the best first week for any two DLC songs YET, including the early stuff.

    Now if I could only beat B.Y.O.B....
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2008
    while SOTD doesn't amaze many people, it does me. It looked like sales were slowing down overall, so I am shocked that both songs were so popular. Even "life is Beautiful" had a great first week.

    Inside the Fire might be our next 100k song or it might be Interstate Love Song. They are both close and withing striking distance. The Disturbed song has only been out two months, however, while STP has been out since Jan.

    Looks like "popular" music is popular here as well.
  • KrakenhedsKrakenheds Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Just shows that if they put up songs that people have actually heard on the radio, they will sell well. I'm not even a huge SOAD fan but I know and like those two songs.
  • BAzombieBAzombie Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Always a good thing when we set new records with 1st week DLC sales. Lets HMX know that RB is still cash cow.:D

    One thing I just thought of though is that RB has been out longer now and the install base is growing. Having a larger gaming base for the DLC in Aug then in FEb. Not sure how this might get factored into your stats.


    Also, I owe Mr Stato, and the rest of the community a HUGE APOLOGY for last week. I was part of the reason why his thread got closed. I PM'd the mods trying to get your thread re posted with your original post but no luck.

    Again, sorry about your thread last week MR. Stato, and keep up the good work.
  • Highlandlassie1Highlandlassie1 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I had no idea the "Asylum rock genre" (SOAD) had so many fans.

    This music sounds like it was developed in an insane asylum.

    Never will get a dime from me.
  • U2Phreak1969U2Phreak1969 Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    I don't have anything to add on this week's DLC, but I would like to point out that I feel vindicated from arguments I had with certain people on this forum a couple of months back when I was trashing on Judas Priest (Screaming for Vengeance) & The Pixies.

    First off Judas Priest. . . This wouldn't have been so bad had they chosen British Steel as their release as better than half of the album is well known to people. But SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE only had one major hit off of it. And the sales show it. Only slightly eclipsing Cherry Bomb.

    Now my main point, The Pixies. Doolittle had to be the CEO's favorite album or maybe The Pixies just let them have the masters. . . Only 4000+ sales. . . Did that even cover production costs??? Either way, they lost their ass on this one!!! This makes Cherry Bomb look like a triple platinum release!!! Its been 2 months and they haven't even sold 5,000 copies?!?!??!?!? HAHAHAHA!!!!!

    Big "I told ya so" coming here!!!

    Try releasing some albums where people actually like the music. Please??? Look at the difference with The Cars and The Who. . .

    It's night and day!!!

    And then tell me you guys at HMX, MTV Games and Viacom don't prefer the color green to the color red. Whatever the expense is for the better albums. . .

    I'm absolutely positive that its worth it!!!
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    U2Phreak: Actually, Screaming For Vengeance is outperforming The Cars by a bit...
    SfV: Range 218-1169, Median 407
    The Cars: Range 186-1021, Median 379
    And, just for giggles, Doolittle: Range 150-389, Median 218

    Considering that The Cars came out a month later, that's actually a pretty good sign for SfV.
  • Drama 313Drama 313 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Nice debut by Sixx:AM but that was expected, i can see why the Motley Crue song did so poorly compared to the other Crue songs released in the past, the song sounds nothing like them or their usual style.For the HMX guys who claimed its like the Dr.Feelgood era.....lmao, give me a break. :D
  • fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    U2Phreak1969;1020980 said:
    blah blah blah
    The key to Rock Band is diversity. There are going to be some songs that sell more than others by lots. But long term they can't put 5* artist every week. There are only so many megastars out there. You've got to have some unique or more obscure artists in there too, because not everyone likes the same thing, and ultimately they want everyone to have some of their favorite songs to choose from. But you're cool though. :rolleyes:
  • JJStylesJJStyles Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    I find it odd that Promised Land has yet to hit the 100000 mark. It's a free song and not a bad one at that. I enjoy it quite a bit.
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I really don't understand why people keep waving the "I told you so" at the Pixies when virtually no one, including those most excited about it, expected the album to actually sell well. And honestly, being hopeful that something will fail is kind of clod-ish. I didn't want the Pixies stuff, but why should I care if it makes a few people happy?

    The fact is, we don't have the facts. We don't know who lost what or how much money was made off of what.

    Frankly, say what you will about me, but I'm going to go ahead and figure that if it was stone cold certain that every more recognizable album would be an automatic windfall of profit, we'd have seen some to this point. I simply trust those a little more involved in the actual business of DLC a little more than those who think anything less than huge acts don't fly. There is simply more that goes into it than that. I'll use this example again: Go to your nearest Best Buy and ask the manager if they'd rather sell 100 $30 USB cables or 1000 $800 notebooks (with no accessories).

    Just because something looks better on paper doesn't mean it is.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    Bosco32;1021123 said:
    I really don't understand why people keep waving the "I told you so" at the Pixies when virtually no one, including those most excited about it, expected the album to actually sell well. And honestly, being hopeful that something will fail is kind of clod-ish. I didn't want the Pixies stuff, but why should I care if it makes a few people happy?

    The fact is, we don't have the facts. We don't know who lost what or how much money was made off of what.

    Frankly, say what you will about me, but I'm going to go ahead and figure that if it was stone cold certain that every more recognizable album would be an automatic windfall of profit, we'd have seen some to this point. I simply trust those a little more involved in the actual business of DLC a little more than those who think anything less than huge acts don't fly. There is simply more that goes into it than that. I'll use this example again: Go to your nearest Best Buy and ask the manager if they'd rather sell 100 $30 USB cables or 1000 $800 notebooks (with no accessories).

    Just because something looks better on paper doesn't mean it is.
    agreed completely, but i've gotten into this exact same argument several times over the past few weeks so i'm not going to partake today.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2008
    Flawless;1019968 said:
    Just proves to me about brand over substance.

    Oh well, cool beanzzzzzzzzzz
    Hit the nail on the head there.

    It's all about brand and not quality anymore. 'Tis a sad day for rock.

    Ummmmmm, U2phreak.... you do realize that "Screaming For Vengeance" is Judas Priest's highest selling album and an absolute fan-favourite? They picked the best album for JP for this game. "British Steel" is too commercial and filled with songs that are not complex like SfV is.

    Think about a little more than commercial hits when formulating arguements, like how much fun the songs would be in game.

    Oh, and in regards to this topic. I'm still very skeptical about these numbers. While they may be general indicators of what is "popular", they should not be taken at gospel. They show general trends in a kind of flawed way (no offense to Mr. Stato). For example, when I play online my scores are uploaded it seems on a sporadic basis. I played "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" the other day, and I'm not listed in the leaderboards, despite my score beating out the lowest one on there. So take these numbers with a grain of salt.
  • simmiassimmias Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    whofan;1021138 said:
    Think about a little more than commercial hits when formulating arguements, like how much fun the songs would be in game.
    I wish HMX had thought about that before picking Doolittle as the album release for the Pixies. I love the album, but I think a large part of its problem is that those songs are not fun on a majority of the instruments. I would have much preferred a best-of release from the Pixies, or an album like Trompe Le Monde or Bossanova.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    simmias;1021332 said:
    I wish HMX had thought about that before picking Doolittle as the album release for the Pixies. I love the album, but I think a large part of its problem is that those songs are not fun on a majority of the instruments. I would have much preferred a best-of release from the Pixies, or an album like Trompe Le Monde or Bossanova.
    i disagree. i think it's great for playing through as an album. it's my group's most played album, for sure...
    the only flaw that stands out to me is the loading times between so many short songs can get old, but i'm hoping this will be taken care of with RB2.
Sign In or Register to comment.