DREAM THEATER Audio Interview

HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
edited September 2008 in Announcements
Just up here http://www.rockband.com/blog/entry/403585

A spiffy new interview with Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater...to commemorate one of the toughest tracks in the history ofg Rock Band.

He's the first one I've interviewed that plays the game himself, and was amazed that we managed to get the DT songs mapped to a single bass drum...he always plays double.

Hope you all enjoy...More to come!
Brett

Comments

• fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited August 2008
  • HellishFiendHellishFiend Rising Star
    edited August 2008
  • edited August 2008
    Good stuff. Props to the interviewer for bringing up Transatlantic...one of the best 'supergroups' I know. Shame they don't have anything planned for the future...but that talk of a Liquid Tension Experiment reunion makes me very happy.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited August 2008
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2008
    Was wondering when a thread about this was going to appear :)

Listened to it last night, excellent stuff! I think it's funny that when he and his son play RB, he plays guitar and not drums :D

One of my favorite drummers of all time, and it's fascinating to hear interviews where he talks about his OCD. He's mentioned it a few times on his instructional DVD's, and it totally explains why his parts are always so perfect both in the studio and live.

A perfectionist is a good thing to have behind the drums!
  • A-RockA-Rock Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    "How are people going to play some of those double bass patterns?" "Um...with great difficulty."

A true classic right there.
  • svartikinssvartikins Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    The best question in that whole interview:

Interviewer: "So, do you purposefully make stuff as hard as you can because you can?"

Portnoy: "Yes."

Paraphrased. Can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along those lines.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Great band, great drummer, great interview. Nuff said

EDIT: You always have to appreciate it when a drummer props up the drums on Rock Band, even if he just recommends it for practice
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    This makes me really excited to think of the possibility of even more DT songs in rock band.
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Mike Portnoy is such an awesome dude. He's one of the few musicians who embrace modern technology and methods. He encourages his fans to film bootlegs at their concerts, how awesome is that! More Dream Theater plz!
  • edited August 2008
    NickTheNewbie;1026643 said:
    This makes me really excited to think of the possibility of even more DT songs in rock band.
    Agreed. Especially since they appeared to have a pretty reasonable relationship with him.
  • HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2008
    Der_Lex;1026224 said:
    Good stuff. Props to the interviewer for bringing up Transatlantic...one of the best 'supergroups' I know. Shame they don't have anything planned for the future...but that talk of a Liquid Tension Experiment reunion makes me very happy.
    I'm with you there...I saw Transatlantic on their only Boston show, playing for a near-empty house behind the first album, and they were truly amazing. I did hear that three-quarters of Transatlantic (minus the bass player who's touring with Marillion) are playing a prog festival somewhere-- I guess Portnoy thought I was asking about a full-fledged reunion which still seems a ways off.

Thanks for all the response!
  • skitch78skitch78 Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    svartikins;1026358 said:
    The best question in that whole interview:

Interviewer: "So, do you purposefully make stuff as hard as you can because you can?"

Portnoy: "Yes."

Paraphrased. Can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along those lines.

Haha, that reminds me of this webcomic: http://xkcd.com/70/
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited August 2008
    skitch78;1026754 said:
    Haha, that reminds me of this webcomic: http://xkcd.com/70/
    Haha! that's great.
  • Grayshadow-PSNGrayshadow-PSN Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Brett, I hope you appreciate how awesome your job is. :p
    edited August 2008
    HMXMusoman;1026727 said:
    I'm with you there...I saw Transatlantic on their only Boston show, playing for a near-empty house behind the first album, and they were truly amazing. I did hear that three-quarters of Transatlantic (minus the bass player who's touring with Marillion) are playing a prog festival somewhere-- I guess Portnoy thought I was asking about a full-fledged reunion which still seems a ways off.

Ok it's settled: "All of the above" in rock band 2
  • AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, Brett you lucky lucky guy!
    edited August 2008
    Grayshadow-PSN;1026941 said:
    Brett, I hope you appreciate how awesome your job is. :p

Believe me, I do. Though I also do a lot of stuff here that isn't quite as glamorous as talking to rock stars!
  • edited August 2008
    HMXMusoman;1026727 said:

Neat. I saw them live on the tour for their second album, but the not-so-small venue was absolutely packed! Holland has always been a very prog-minded country, I guess. I've always thought Neil Morse was the one holding off possible reunions because he only wanted to make religious music from now on (I still sorely miss him in Spock's Beard), so the fact that 'the door is open' was already good news for me.

Having some Transatlantic in the game would be great, but not too many of their songs go under the 10-minute mark. I'll settle for some DLC from the component bands (DT, Spock's Beard, Flowr Kings, Marillion), though :D

And, as others have said before me, great job on the interview!
    edited August 2008
    Der_Lex;1027666 said:

Having some Transatlantic in the game would be great, but not too many of their songs go under the 10-minute mark. I'll settle for some DLC from the component bands (DT, Spock's Beard, Flowr Kings, Marillion), though :D!
    I personally would love to see the Flower Kings' "Garden of Dreams"-- all 56 minutes of it! (But no, this is not a "leak"...)
  • GillDaThrillGillDaThrill Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Not that I wanna sound like I'm complaining, but I don't think there was anything in the posted interview about Panic Attack in RB2 as that was mentioned in the body of the blog post. I love to hear whenever bands comment on their songs in RB, especially my second favorite band. I don't think I missed it...I'll go back and check again. It was a great interview through and through, irregardlessly.
  • needLEErneedLEEr Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    So, does this mean we'll see more Dream Theater DLC? Please say yes...
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    needLEEr;1028250 said:
    So, does this mean we'll see more Dream Theater DLC? Please say yes...
    He won't respond, but I'd say the chances are pretty good :D
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Nice to see Portnoy plays Rock Band
  • BrainstewBrainstew Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    I don't get why the interviewer didn't give Portnoy a real answer and just tell him that they only chart one foot and simplify the bass pedal, it almost came off as snobbish to me. :confused:
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    Any chance you can record Portnoy attempting his own song on drums?
    edited August 2008
    I was listening to a bunch of my dream theater today, and decided that "learning to live" would be an awesome DLC track.
  • ForksForks Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Moar plz. Finally, I can say one of my favorite bands is in rock band.

Not my favorite SONG by them. But at least there is something. I thought it'd never happen.

Oh well.
  • ParliamentFunkadelicParliamentFunkadelic Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    wow. I have a couple of DT albums, LTE albums, and some of his drum dvds (I am a fan) but I never knew he had OCD. That's inspirational to me being that I am also a drummer w/ OCD. Good interview.
  • BearclawBearclaw Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Dream Theater's drummer plays Rock Band? W1n :)
This discussion has been closed.