Nicest Men and Biggest Jerks in Rock

Comments

• CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited October 2015
    Didn't mean to post here. Please ignore.
  • Someone explain why Brandon Flowers and Sting are in the jerks list?
  • Imagine Dragons were prima donnas when they were still in the local scene.
  • The good people in music (people that are nice)...

BNL (they sound like they're a cool band)
    Brian Wilson
    Todd Rundgren
    The Moody Blues
    Amy Grant
    Dean Martin
    Garth Brooks
    Weird Al
    Paul Simon
    Diana Ross
    Johnny Mathis
    Procol Harum (Matthew Fisher unfortunately seems to be a jerk)

The bad people in music (people that are jerks)...

John Lennon
    Mike Love
    Murray Wilson
    Mitch Miller
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    Miley Cyrus
    Phil Spector
    Johnny Rotten (self-explanitory)
    Kanye West
    Frank Zappa
    Jim Morrison
    Justin Bieber

The mediocre people in music (people that have their good/bad moments)...

Paul McCartney
    Ted Nugent
    Frank Sinatra
    Elton John
    Nilsson
    Linda Ronstadt
    Phil Collins
    David Lee Roth
    Jimi Hendrix
    Ray Charles
    The Who
    The Smothers Brothers

• Two for whom I can personally vouch are Russ Ballard and Buck Dharma. Both are great guys. Also Paul Gilbert, but he's already on the list.
  • Ok, I'm only mentioning people I've personally met.

Nice:

Jimmy Page
    Robert Plant
    Paul Rodgers
    Robin Zander
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Keb Mo
    Bonnie Raitt

Jerks:

Rick Nieilsen
    Ozzy Osbourne
    All members of The Cult

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Tegan Quinn and Sara Quinn are both really nice, especially Sara.
  • I met Billy Greer and Steve Walsh from Kansas and Billy is quite possibly one of the nicest people I've ever met. We were at a free show and security opened the gate and they started walking around, just being one of the guys, talking to everyone and I even got my picture taken with them. Steve looked like he was a little stoned though.

As far as Roger Waters goes, yes he may have been a jerk back in the 70s and 80s (before my time) however he has really changed his ways and my dad and I got to see him in concert for my 21st birthday (5th row) and he was one of the most polite and hospitable musicians I've ever seen. He did like several encores as well (and the concert was over three hours long). He actually allows cameras in his shows and if you're close enough to him, he will actually smile at you (he's the complete opposite of what he was when the spitting incident during the Animals Tour and when he left Pink Floyd).
  • edited December 2016
    Don Dokken was really nice to me when I met him back in 1997, he was really sweet but George Lynch was a bit of a jerk. He wasn't very friendly, well to me anyway. but Don was really nice, he smiled at me the whole time i was talking to him.
  • I met Don Dokken in 1997 and he was really pleasant, he was really sweet to me but George Lynch wasn't really friendly, I heard him and Don don't get along and I can see why Don doesn't like George very much.
  • The dudes from Oni are all nice. We were chatting a bit about music when they opened up for Children Of Bodom and Abbath.
  • Enslaved are awesome and friendly dudes.
  • I haven't met too many but I was at a meeting and greet with Styx and they were all very nice. BB King I met sitting on a rocking chair in front of the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach SC the day before his concert. What a wonderful guy he was. He was just sitting there waving at people and saying hello. A lot of people didn't even know who he was but I definitely did. I tried to be clever and asked him where Lucille was ? He laughed and said she's on the bus. I talked to him a couple minutes and told him what a big fan I was. He was so down to earth I didn't even think about getting an autograph. I'm not the biggest autograph chaser anyway but I wish I would have now.

As far as asses go definitely Colt Ford and Jesse James Dupree. Both were dicks who thought they were bigger stars then they are. I wasn't impressed with either before and they certainly didn't change my opinion.

Met DMX too. He wasn't an ass exactly but he refused to sign autographs for people but would take pictures with you.
  • I don't know if someone mentioned it, or if I missed it anywhere, but Ronnie James Dio, perhaps on of the nicest person I've ever met. Such a cool guy. R.I.P
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Eric Wilson from Sublime is a pretty chill dude. He showed up at random one night at my band's practice in a non-descript strip mall and was super stoked that we were playing Iggy Pop's "I Wanna Be Your Dog". He grabbed the mic, said "Can I sing this? I used to be in an Iggy Pop cover band!" So yeah, of course you can sing it, dude!

He hung out and jammed with us no-name scrubs all night long. He tuned up our crappy drum kit for us, taught us some songs, and was just a totally cool dude hanging out and having fun with some random low-skill dudes making noise.
  • edited August 15
    Uh, the thing is.. Sublime were all scrubs. Truely. Popular with the drink tilk you drown wallet on a chain crowd, but blatant rip ofg artist and sloppy as F.
  • AvalonD said:

Ok, I'm only mentioning people I've personally met.

Nice:

Jimmy Page
    Robert Plant
    Paul Rodgers
    Robin Zander
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Keb Mo
    Bonnie Raitt

Jerks:

Rick Nieilsen
    Ozzy Osbourne
    All members of The Cult

Agree with all but Page. Genius in the studio, nut filthy, and too essted to be able to tell what he was like most of the time.
    I would replace him with John Paul Jones. Plant has made amends in these his later years.
  • I met the Jimmy Eat World guys, they were awkward but still friendly, I met And hung out for a bit with guys of Unearth and Atreyu after their show and they were really friendly and chill. Met the lead singer of Soilwork who was a pretty sarcastic guy which I liked. Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed was really friendly. Jolly some of the nicest guys on the planet, Andrew WK was friendly too. As far as jerks, Norma Jean we're kinda dick-ish, Dean Roland of Collective Soul wasn't a dick, just clearly awkward with talking to fans, which is fair. But the only band who were dicks right off the bat was The Classic Crime, who were just sour from the get go cuz they were opening for my friends band