NO POLL! Best/Favorite Concept Albums!

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited September 2008 in History of Rock
Since there are like 2 or 3 with polls, and everyone complaining that there wasnt (insert album here) on the poll, we all needed an open discussion and here it is!

First off:
2112 and DSOTM are NOT concept albums.

and dont bash ppl for their tastes either, please

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    the first thing that comes to mind is "ziggy stardust" for me.
  • Unbelievable21Unbelievable21 Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Still Life
    Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
    The Human Equation
    The Dark Saga
    The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
    Christ 0

And Ghost Reveries, had it been a concept album like it was intended to be.

Riverside's Second Life Syndrome is a concept album, right? I'm not that big of a fan of it, I'm just curious.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    I'll go with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Often overlooked album but it has a lot of depth.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited August 2008
    back_blows;1050891 said:
    I'll go with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Often overlooked album but it has a lot of depth.
    I'm with you. It's not Maiden's best, but it is still an awesome album. The title track is a massive song.
  • AnarchyintheUKAnarchyintheUK Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    For me its Tommy, its just so epic and has a great (if unbelieveable) story behind it. I never really got what Quadrophenia was about but Tommy is pretty clear.
  • synthesizedpianosynthesizedpiano Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    I personally like Quadrophenia better than Tommy, even if Tommy had more hits. I really like the idea of four personalities in one person, and the title track, Love Reign O'er Me, and 5:15 are all epic.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2008
    Yes-Tales from Topographic Oceans

It's growing on me. I got the double vinyl to see if I'll really enjoy it listening to it like that.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited August 2008
  • SpiderLocMTGOSpiderLocMTGO Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    Blacktrash: The Autobiography of Kirk Jones
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Brave by Marillion. Of course, I lean to that being the best album of all time!
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    One of my all time faves is one that doesn't get a lot of talk. Alice Cooper's From The Inside. That album came out in 1978 and is a concept album of Alice in a mental institution. The real crazy part is Alice wrote the album with Bernie Taupin about Alice's very real stay in a mental institution.

Back in that time frame there really wasn't the facilities available for people to detox and/or dry out. While Alice was trying to kick his alcoholism his Dr. had him checked into a sanitarium in upstate New York to dry out.

Upon his release he set to work on the album and based all of the songs and characters in the songs on the actual inmates he met on the inside.
    There are lots of Cooper classics including the sexy 'Nurse Rozetta', the romantic 'How You Gonna See Me Now' (based on a letter Alice wrote to his wife from the hospital), 'Serious' (which Alice has mentioned as one of his favourite songs ever) and the stunning epic closer 'Inmates (We're All Crazy').

Marvel Comics released a comic based on the album, Marvel Premier 50. In it, some of the albums characters were given names. The blonde in the blue dress from the song Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills becomes Ms.Tiffany Sleek, The inmate admiring Nurse Rozetta is Jerome (He has a fetish for Nurse Rozetta's feet), the Doctor becomes the Deadly Doctor Fingeroth and Veronica is a Snake!

Track listing

From the Inside
    Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills
    The Quiet Room
    Nurse Rozetta
    Millie and Billie
    Serious
    How You Gonna See Me Now
    For Veronica's Sake
    Jackknife Johnny
    Inmates (We're All Crazy)

It's a fantastic album and an often overlooked one. Most people are drawn to Welcome To My Nightmare , Alice Cooper Goes To Hell or Killer as their Alice concept albums of choice.

How You Gonna See Me Now?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71-tSJ_z0-A&feature=related

Millie and Billie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adTFoKAm_tY&feature=related

The following clips are from the tour he did in support of the album. Alice was incredibly sick and completely emaciated from his stay in the asylum. He was often throwing up blood first thing in the morning so he's no where near his best. To this day Alice refuses to re-release this home video as he finds it painful to see how bad off he was and feels his performance is horrible and not worth watching.

From The Inside
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9BSyzevTgY

Nurse Rozetta/The Quiet Room
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gAD4y1C06k&feature=related

Serious
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3Vz8kVa20&feature=related
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Opeth- Still Life

or

Gojira- From Mars To Sirius
  • CHOFF09CHOFF09 Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    Tommy has been one of my favorites but i have really gotten into Quadraphenia the last couple years. Some others i love to listen to are Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and Pink Floyd's Animals.

To the op:
    while i agree with 2112 not being a concept album, i dont see how DSotM isnt a concept album.
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/151704/Dark-Side-of-the-Moon
    Though it may not be a clear cut theme, one exists on the album, the nature of human experience or life itself.
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Alan Parsons Project..."Tales Of Mystery and Imagination"

(Can't say I like the whole album...but "The Raven" and "The System Of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether" are a couple good songs on there).
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    CHOFF09;1052468 said:
    Tommy has been one of my favorites but i have really gotten into Quadraphenia the last couple years. Some others i love to listen to are Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and Pink Floyd's Animals.

To the op:
    while i agree with 2112 not being a concept album, i dont see how DSotM isnt a concept album.
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/151704/Dark-Side-of-the-Moon
    Though it may not be a clear cut theme, one exists on the album, the nature of human experience or life itself.
    its no, b/c to be honest their would be holes in the story and, Pink Floyd themseleves never intended it to be a concept album
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1052513 said:
    its no, b/c to be honest their would be holes in the story and, Pink Floyd themseleves never intended it to be a concept album
    a concept album doesnt have to tell a story. a concept album that tells a story is most commonly referred to as a rock opera. The Wall is a rock opera. WYWH and Animals are both concept albums that dont tell a story, rather have an overall theme like DSotM. And just b/c they never intended to write a concept album doesnt mean they didnt.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    CHOFF09;1052887 said:
    a concept album doesnt have to tell a story. a concept album that tells a story is most commonly referred to as a rock opera. The Wall is a rock opera. WYWH and Animals are both concept albums that dont tell a story, rather have an overall theme like DSotM. And just b/c they never intended to write a concept album doesnt mean they didnt.
    what is the theme in Wish You Were Here, only 3 of the 5 have to do with Syd, Welcome to the Machine and Have A Cigar have nothing to do with Syd, DSTOM? what does Money have to do with life? or Us and Them? there is no overall theme to the entire album, hell Brain Damage is an homage to Syd as well
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1052899 said:
    what is the theme in Wish You Were Here, only 3 of the 5 have to do with Syd, Welcome to the Machine and Have A Cigar have nothing to do with Syd, DSTOM? what does Money have to do with life? or Us and Them? there is no overall theme to the entire album, hell Brain Damage is an homage to Syd as well
    WYWH's theme is absence and as a whole meant as a tribute to Syd. Syd is not the theme. Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar relate to record companies as money making machines and the absence of artist expression. The rest of the album relates to syd's absence from the band.

Speak to Me/ Breathe is about birth.
    On the Run is about the fear of travel.
    Time is about growing old.
    Great Gig in the Sky is about the fear of death. it also uses an altered/similar beat to "Breathe".
    Money is about the evils money can bring you in life like greed.
    Us and them is about mainly about war.
    Any Colour You Like also shares the same beat/ similar chord progression as "Breathe".
    Brain Damage is about insanity.
    Eclipse acts as a climax to the album summing everything.

All those are emotions or experiences one would come across during their lifetime. also, the band tried to make the connection of all the songs relating together why else would they connect them without any breaks? the only time their is a break on the album is when you have to turn over the record after great gig in the sky, otherwise the album would play continuously without any pauses or breaks.
    the definition of a concept album is very broad. DSotM may not be the best example of a concept album but i feel it still fits the criteria.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited August 2008
    My favorites:

Still Life - Opeth
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (I regard it as a concept album. Some don't, some do).
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
    From Mars to Sirius - Gojira (aside of the opening track, which I can't stand)
    Leviathan - Mastodon
    Dreaming Neon Black - Nevermore
    The Pick of Destiny - Tenacious D
    My Arms Your Hearse - Opeth
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1053344 said:
    track, which I can't stand)
    Leviathan - Mastodon
    Noice pick! Great album.
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins(Yes, this is a concept album)
  • Unbelievable21Unbelievable21 Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    I was thinking about posting that one, but I didn't want to have to justify my reasoning. A great one, nevertheless.
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I would call DSOFTM a concept album. If all it takes to be a concept album is for there to be some kind of unifying theme, then Dark Side meets the criteria.

As far as my favorites go, I would say Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and Blinking Lights by Eels.
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    DSOTM (cause it is a concept album)
    Animals
    The Wall
    The Black Parade
    The Rise an Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    ...And Justice For All
    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Tommy
    Quadrophenia
    American Idiot
    The Beatles (White Album)
    Wish You Were Here
    Thick as a Brick
    edited August 2008
    partyboydanial;1054682 said:
    ...And Justice For All
    .....what?
  • WonderboyYYZWonderboyYYZ Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
    Machina I/Machina II - Smashing Pumpkins
    Tommy - The Who
    Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
    Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV - Coheed and Cambria
    edited August 2008
    A couple more that I forgot (somehow):

The Human Equation - Ayreon
    Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree
    Deadwing - Porcupine Tree

If I had to chose one (from both my lists), I don't think I could do it. :rolleyes:

As for the previous poster's mention of BH&R (Muse), that's kinda pushing it. There's definitely a theme to the album, but I don't really know if it's a full-fledged concept album.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Maiden - seventh son
    Yes - tales from topographic oceans
    the who - tommy and quadrophina
    Smashing pumpkins - mellon collie
    bowie - ziggy stardust
    genesis - lamb lies down on broadway and selling england by the pound

and a load more
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    If a concept album is an album that is based around a single theme, and there are no other determining factors, wouldn't Please Please Me be a concept album because all of the songs have to do with love? There is more to it than that.

Also, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band is considered the first concept album, but has no central theme.

That said, Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Quadrophenia and Animals are deffinitely my 3 favorite.
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    The Black Parade
    American Idiot

Both albums I can listen through all the way, over and over.

Really want to pick up Tommy and Quadrophenia though.

Also, I heard Libertad by Velvet Revolver was loosely a concept album, so if it can be considered one, then it's certainly one of my favorites.