Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited August 2008 in History of Rock
Just to start, this is a thread for those who love, like, or are wanting to try some progressive rock. Please do not come in here to flame about how you hate the genre or the bands in the genre.

Things I think would be good for discussion:
Favorite Bands
Favorite Albums
Favorite Songs
Favorite Musicians

well, DISCUSS!

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    My top 10!
    Bands
    10. Genesis
    9. Gentle Giant
    8. Alan Parsons Project
    7. Moody Blues
    6. Frank Zappa
    5. Yes
    4. King Crimson
    3. Uriah Heep
    2. Jethro Tull
    1. Emerson Lake & Palmer

Albums
    10. Animals - Pink Floyd
    9. Leftoverture - Kansas
    8. Meddle - Pink Floyd
    7. Fragile - Yes
    6. Crime of the Century - Supertramp
    5. The Grand Illusion - Styx
    4. Emerson Lake & Palmer - ELP
    3. Tarkus - ELP
    2. In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
    1. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

Songs
    10. The Story In Your Eyes - Moody Blues
    9. Dharma For One - Jethro Tull
    8. Take A Pebble - ELP
    7. Echoes - Pink Floyd
    6. Witch's Promise - Jethro Tull
    5. Teacher - Jethro Tull
    4. Close to the Edge - Yes
    3. Supper's Ready - Genesis
    2. Tarkus - ELP
    1. Tubular Bells Pt. 1 - Mike Oldfield

Drummers:
    5. Phil Collins
    4. Terry Bozzio
    3. Clive Bunker
    2. Bill Bruford
    1. Carl Palmer

Guitarists:
    5. Frank Zappa
    4. Steve Hackett
    3. Steve Howe
    2. Mick Box
    1. Robert Fripp

Keys:
    5. Ken Hensley
    4. Mike Pinder
    3. Rick Wakeman
    2. Keith Emerson
    1. Mort Garson
  • MicsktafaMicsktafa Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    How amazing would it be to play some cuts from The Power to Believe or Discipline by Crimson? Or South Side of the Sky by Yes? Or all of Relayer? Or all of Thick as a Brick?..... It'll never happen, but one can dream.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    while i'm a huge fan of gentle giant, king crimson, and plenty of your more common prog bands, i'm also a fan of the RIO (rock in opposition) movement...
    wikipedia will tell you a bit about RIO if you'd like...

i'm especially a big fan of univers zero, art bears, samla mammas manna, u totem, sleepytime gorilla museum, yugen, etc.

i'm also a fan of zeuhl, which you can read about here via wikipedia again.

personal favorites of this group of artists include magma, ruins, koenjihyakkei, guapo, etc.
    edited August 2008
    for ppl who want to hear some good prog, try these out:
    Prog Rock Mix
    Triumvirat
    Atomic Rooster
    Nektar
    Camel
    edited August 2008
    afterstasis;1052399 said:
    while i'm a huge fan of gentle giant, king crimson, and plenty of your more common prog bands, i'm also a fan of the RIO (rock in opposition) movement...
    wikipedia will tell you a bit about RIO if you'd like...

i'm especially a big fan of univers zero, art bears, samla mammas manna, u totem, sleepytime gorilla museum, yugen, etc.

i'm also a fan of zeuhl, which you can read about here via wikipedia again.

personal favorites of this group of artists include magma, ruins, koenjihyakkei, guapo, etc.
    Henry Cow!
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    opeth, gojira, the ocean, between the buried and me, agalloch.... all amazing.
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I thought it was funny...I've listened to Kansas and Supertramp for years and it never occured to me that they were progressive until I saw them in one of your packs on the blog. (Not disagreeing...just shows how much I pay attention to "categories").
    edited August 2008
    sg327;1052481 said:
    I thought it was funny...I've listened to Kansas and Supertramp for years and it never occured to me that they were progressive until I saw them in one of your packs on the blog. (Not disagreeing...just shows how much I pay attention to "categories").
    Kansas is one of those bands that arent always prog, they were for their first albums, up til the 80s

Supertramp has always been prog, but can be seen why ppl think differently

(and to note, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Genesis are the others who arent always prog, Rush was prog for Fly By Night to Hemispheres, PF on Piper, Meddle, and Animals, and Genesis until Gabriel left)
  • synthesizedpianosynthesizedpiano Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    I've just started to get into prog, but it has become my favorite genre, even though I only know the more well known bands, along with lesser known ones introduced to me by these forums.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1052507 said:
    Kansas is one of those bands that arent always prog, they were for their first albums, up til the 80s

(and to note, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Genesis are the others who arent always prog, Rush was prog for Fly By Night to Hemispheres, PF on Piper, Meddle, and Animals, and Genesis until Gabriel left)
    Well, A Trick Of The Tail was still prog.
    But I don't really understand how Supertramp is prog... The problem with prog is that every music that doesn't totally fits in others categories becomes prog rock lol.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Well since we're in a prog discussion... I'll ask:

What exactly is prog rock?
    AND/OR
    What exactly is prog rock for you?
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1052507 said:

Agreed....(I've always tried to keep an open mind to all types of music and never really put too much thought into "genres").
    edited August 2008
    Insane3;1052554 said:
    Well, A Trick Of The Tail was still prog.
    But I don't really understand how Supertramp is prog... The problem with prog is that every music that doesn't totally fits in others categories becomes prog rock lol.
    supertramp has longer songs, they include some odd instrumentation, and have a ton of concept albums
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2008
    Insane3;1052562 said:

AND/OR
    One more post before I really do need to get off.

Progressive rock for me is this.

A fairly big group of rock bands with musicians that kicks it up a notch. These guys will be the one using the odd time signature to the extremes.(9/8, 7/4,...) The bands will add keyboards and other instruments to mix to add more layers of sound to their songs.(Kansas, Yes, King Crimson) Their songs in general will be long, sometimes exceeding the 10 minutes and become epics.(Rush-Hemispheres, Yes-Heart of the Sunrise, Spock's Beard-The Light) The instrumentalists do not slack with their parts and are precise, showing more ability to play than some other forms of rock. Often or not, the song writer will give the music a overall feel to the music and turn the album into a story or a message. These are the type of musicians that always experiment, they tend not to change their sound to something a casual listener might enjoy more.

That is what prog is to me.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited August 2008
    Insane3;1052562 said:

AND/OR
    Progressive Rock is a movement of rock that takes rock music to higher musical and artistic standards. It employs some or all of the following features:
    complex song structures (rarely uses verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure, and incorporates changes to tempo, time signature, and/or key)
    irregular time signatures (5/4, 9/8, 7/4, etc)
    non-traditional keys/scales (Phrygian, etc)
    non-traditional instrumentation
    varying song length (including "epics")
    skilled musicianship and/or virtuoso techniques
    concept albums
    songs with multiple movements
    use of irregular and complex rhythms (namely polyrhythms)

It shares many characteristics with other genres such as post-[genre] and technical-[genre], but combines them in a fashion that makes it distinct from those genres.

Side note: I consider Fly By Night - Moving Pictures as Rush's progressive era.

One of my favorite genres. I love it. Too lazy to post favorites within the genre right now though.
    edited August 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1054250 said:

Side note: I consider Fly By Night - Moving Pictures as Rush's progressive era.

see, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures have never seemed like prog rock to me, to me they are just hard rock, almost like its rush-flavored pop rock
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1054256 said:
    see, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures have never seemed like prog rock to me, to me they are just hard rock, almost like its rush-flavored pop rock
    I agree there was change towards their non-prog style, but they still had a lot of prog elements. Irregular time signatures, non-traditional keys, instrumentals, longer songs, experimental genre fusions, etc.
    Especially YYZ. One of their most complex and proggiest songs.
    edited August 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1054283 said:
    I agree there was change towards their non-prog style, but they still had a lot of prog elements. Irregular time signatures, non-traditional keys, instrumentals, longer songs, experimental genre fusions, etc.
    Especially YYZ. One of their most complex and proggiest songs.
    yeah, its a prog song, but the album isnt prog (IMO) like how some albums might be one genre, but one or two songs on it dont fit the genre of the rest
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1054288 said:
    yeah, its a prog song, but the album isnt prog (IMO) like how some albums might be one genre, but one or two songs on it dont fit the genre of the rest
    I agree that albums and songs can have different genres, but I use that argument to reverse it. I'd say the Limelight would be the song that doesn't fit in the prog genre of the album. Eh, either way, the album kicks ass. :D
  • SchmealSchmeal Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    An amazing band that no one seems to know is Redemption. It features Ray Adler from Fates Warning on vocals and the music is similar to Dream Theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoDAtX8a6mM&feature=related
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Micsktafa;1052297 said:
    Glad to see fellow prog supporters! I personally have worked with (and of course love anything by) Fripp or Jon Anderson, so seeing anything involving their work is welcome!

There's a story there and I want it. :D
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited August 2008
    Huge prog fan. Everything from Genesis, Yes, Camel to Opeth, Dream Theater, and Mastodon.
  • Unbelievable21Unbelievable21 Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Transatlantic
    Porcupine Tree
    Rush
    Kansas
    Pink Floyd
    The Flower Kings

Certain DT songs could be considered Prog Rock. Like Octavarium, without parts III and IV. Or SDOIT, without parts II and III.

Opeth's Damnation
    Insane3;1052554 said:
    The problem with prog is that every music that doesn't totally fits in others categories becomes prog rock lol.

That's not always true. Check out Post-Rock. There's no way that's mainstream, yet it's nowhere near being Prog Rock, either. Avant-Garde, as well, although I think hat usually has more in common with Metal (not big on the genre, though). And there's also some Experimental Rock that isn't Prog Rock.

There's probably better info on Wiki, I was just on AllMusic at the time of posting this.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2008
    AxlVanHagar;1055170 said:
    There's a story there and I want it. :D
    I want a story too, that's way to cool to just lightly touch on that.

Anyway I'll post my favorites for right now, I'm always getting new prog albums so often these lists I post change.

Top Progressive Rock Bands at the moment(I'll explore prog metal eventually but right now I'm hitting prog rock).

1.Yes
    2.King Crimson
    3.Gentle Giant
    4.Spock's Beard
    5.Kansas
    6.Rush
    7.Egg
    8.Renaissance
    9.The Flower Kings
    10.Queen

Favorite Progressive Albums
    1.Rush-A Farewell to Kings
    2.Yes-Close to the Edge
    3.King Crimson-In the Wake of Poseidon
    4.Gentle Giant-Acquiring the Taste
    5.Spock's Beard-The Light
    6.Renaissance-Ashes Are Burning
    7.Kansas-Leftoverture(That will change soon since I think I got all of Kansas' progressive discography on vinyl).
    8.Egg-Egg
    9.The Flower Kings-Untold the Future
    10.Queen-Queen

Favorite Songs
    1.Rush-Cygnus X1 Book II:Hemispheres
    2.Yes-Close to the Edge
    3.Renaissance-Carpet of the Sun
    4.Spock's Beard-The Light
    5.Gentle Giant-Giant
    6.King Crimson-The Court of the Crimson King
    7.Kansas-Questions of my Childhood
    8.Queen-Liar
    9.The Mars Volta-Roulette Dares(The Haunt Of)
    10.Starcastle-Lady of the Lake

Bassists
    1.Geddy Lee
    2.Chris Squire
    3.Greg Lake
    4.Ray Shulman
    5.Dave Meros

Guitarists
    1.Steve Howe
    2.Robert Fripp
    3.Alan Morse
    4.Alex Lifeson
    5.Brian May

Drummers
    1.Bill Bruford
    2.Neil Peart
    3.Nick D'Virgilio
    4.Michael Giles
    5.Zeke Lowe

Vocalists
    1.Neal Morse
    2.Jon Anderson
    3.Geddy Lee
    4.Annie Haslam
    5.Freddie Mercury
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2008
    I can't say that I am a huge prog fan. I find myself very picky with my music.

The first progish thing I fell in love with was Electric Light Orchestra before Jeff Lynne started down the trail of disco...

See, my brother is seven years older than me, so while I was a mere nine years old when Eldorado came out, my brother was 16. He brought the album home and I quickly stole it (as I did a lot of his albums). I was enthralled. So I scrapped together some chore money and asked if he would go buy some more ELO. He brought home On the Third Day and No Answer. Best music I had ever heard. Of course, I was still young and learning how to appreciate music. Later he brought ELOII home for me to listen to and Kuiama was the most amazing thing.

You have to remember, there were still a lot of albums being released in mono at that time and Kuiama’s switching between speakers was unique for a 1973 album. I could actually feel my eardrums being pulled left to right to left to right. Simply amazing that music would do that.

Anyway, A New World Record came out at the end of 76 and I got it for Christmas. Some great songs on there, but the prog songs were missing. Everything was short and normal. Anyway, ELO moved into a new direction with that album and they didn’t hold the same charm for me afterwards.

My next Discovery was Emerson, Lake & Palmer. To me they were ELO light. Just didn’t have the same power over me. Still liked a good many of their songs, but they just didn’t fall into place for me.

My brother thought I would love King Crimson, but it failed to touch me the way ELO did. It wasn’t until I heard Drama by Yes that I found a new prog love. I heard “into the Lens” on the radio while in High School and was just amazed. Bought that album and then their back catalog. After checking out their back catalog I realized my favorite Yes album would always be the one that most Yes fans would not like because it didn’t have Anderson singing.

It was while buying up Yes’s back catalog that I found my favorite band. I would go into the record store every week and just flip through albums, always buying one or two a week. I did this through out high school and well into my maturity. Well, in ’83 I found an album with a jester playing fiddle on it. The cover struck a chord with me and I asked one of the people in the record store what kind of music it was. He said, “Hell I don’t know, some ****in’ British crap trying to sound like Genesis”.

I never liked Genesis so I put the album back, only to come back the next week and buy it. The title and album cover just kept playing in my mind. “Script for a Jester’s Tear” is by far the most amazing album in my opinion. In 1984 Marillion released their followup “Fugazi” which I spun over and over. That was also my first import. I found out later that “Script” was a special order for someone who never picked it up and I just got lucky. So I had to import the rest of the Fish era Marillion albums.

Marillion breaking up was a blow to me and the two entities created out of the split just don’t add up to the sum of the whole. I kept up with Marillion through 2004 with the release of Marbles and then stopped. The “new” singer just started sounding the same to me, every song I felt like I knew the next note he was going to come out with upon my first listen. The two albums before bored me and that on just turned me off. Here I was, the guy preordering to get the special packs and my name in the liner notes only to say forget it.

I still keep up with Fish, however.

So, my three favorite prog albums of all time are:

Marillion – Script for a Jester’s Tear
    ELO – Eldorado
    Yes – Drama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBjdLQ0LJ0
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2008
    Unbelievable21;1055214 said:
    Avant-Garde, as well, although I think hat usually has more in common with Metal (not big on the genre, though).
    not to be picky or anything, but avant-garde music doesn't have anything to do with metal as the term predated metal by about 30 years.
  • Unbelievable21Unbelievable21 Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Ah. That's just what I'd heard. Like I said, I know almost nothing about the genre, except it's home of the some of the oddest band's I've ever heard.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    What Prog is to me:
    Bands that push musicality to the extreme, and those that believe in the "Cult of Virtuosity." Lyrics are usually a little more highbrow, with mythological or science fiction imagery and themes.

Favorite Bands:

Yes
    Gentle Giant
    Queen
    Rocket Scientists (not a really well known band, highly recomended)
    Spock's Beard
    Marillion
    Kansas
    Pink Floyd
    Rush
    Illuvatar
    Plato's Halo (an unsigned band I found on MP3.com they have an albums worth of DLC for sale at their website)

I like ELP, King Crimson and others, but I tend to like the prog that keeps a stronger connection to melody and hook. The more extreme stuff from Fripp is something I don't mind, but not a huge favorite.

I also see Euro Powermetal as an outgrowth of the Prog attitude. Metal albums that have male choirs instead of bass, or that have harpsichords as a main instrument.... That kind of stuff I find very enjoyable as well.

And I call on others to suggest lesser known bands - I love discussion of Prog because I always find a band or two I didn't really know. Mine are in my above list - but here with links

Plato's Halo

Rocket Scientists
    It's their myspace page, but has some music to hear. One of the main guys in this band, Eric Norlander, is the new Keyboardist for Asia featuring John Payne.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    a21schizoidman;1052404 said:
    Moonmadness is such a good album.
  • kevmaster2000kevmaster2000 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I've been a progressive rock fan since my early years, when my dad first introduced me to Yes. Close to the Edge will always hold a place in my heart.
    I do sometimes get annoyed with how pretentious some of them tend to be, but it's something I can get past if the music is really good.

Favorite prog bands:

Echolyn (prog fans, check them out!)
    Yes
    Kansas
    Jethro Tull
    Gentle Giant
    Dream Theater
    Spock's Beard
    Flower Kings
    Opeth
    Mastodon
    Pink Floyd
    Rush
    Genesis
    Pain of Salvation (despite extreme pretension)
    Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
    Ayreon (again, really pretentious)

Favorite prog albums:

Yes - Close to the Edge
    Echolyn - Mei
    Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
    Spock's Beard - Snow
    Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
    Genesis - Foxtrot
    Yes - Fragile
    Echolyn - The End Is Beautiful
    Kansas - Monolith