Battle of the Underrated Guitarists: #11 Prince vs Eddie Hazel

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited August 2008 in History of Rock
[CENTER]PRINCE[/CENTER]
wikipedia said:
Prince Rogers Nelson (born June 7, 1958, in Minneapolis, Minnesota) is an American musician. He performs simply as Prince, but has also been known by various other names, among them an unpronounceable symbol, leading fans and critics to dub him The Artist Formerly Known As Prince or simply The Artist.

Prince is a prolific artist, having released several hundred songs both under his own name and with other artists. He has won six Grammy Awards and an Academy Award, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. In 2004, he was named as the top male pop artist of the past 25 years by ARC Rock on the Net,[1] and Rolling Stone Magazine ranked Prince #28 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[2]

From his early material, rooted in R&B, soul and funk, Prince has expanded his musical palette throughout his career, absorbing many other genres including pop, rock, jazz, new wave, psychedelia and hip hop. Some of his primary influences include Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Madonna and Carlos Santana. The distinctive characteristics of the early-to-mid 1980s work, such as sparse and industrial-sounding drum machine arrangements and the use of synthesizer riffs to serve the role traditionally occupied by horn riffs in earlier R&B, funk and soul music—was called the "Minneapolis sound" and has proved very influential.
(Prince doesnt allow youtube vids so..)
http://www.last.fm/music/Prince

vs

[CENTER]EDDIE HAZEL[/CENTER]
wikipedia said:
Edward Earl "Eddie" Hazel (April 10, 1950 – December 23, 1992) was a pioneering and influential guitarist in early funk music in the United States, most famous for his lead guitar work with Parliament-Funkadelic. Hazel is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, inducted in 1997 with fifteen other members of Parliament-Funkadelic.
Maggot Brain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk&feature=related

I Got A Thing, You Got A Thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeaHCSBWGSo

I Wanna Know If It's Good to You?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E_ZPczOXjA

PLEASE LISTEN BEFORE YOU VOTE! Who is better?

Comments

• polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Prince is a fantastic guitarist. I just watched a documentary on him and it was awesome.
  • KelvisKelvis Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Prince is also an incredible multi-instumentalist, composer, producer, etc. The guy is just such a talent.

Using 'Cloud' guitar, Prince had the most incredible guitar sound I've ever heard live, Brian May coming a close second.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Hands down His Royal Badness. He can do it all, rock, funk, blues, jazz, pop, r&b the list goes on and on. And what's more he can do any style well. He's a scary player and the originator of The Minneapolis Sound. And as somone else mentioned it's not just guitar he's able to play. At a club show I saw once he switched between guitar, bass drums and piano a number of times.

Having seen him play live a number of times I can honestly say I've yet to see anyone make playing look that effortless and that includes the likes of Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani. He's liquid when he's up there.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I voted for Prince, because of his tone and his technique, though I love Eddie Hazel just as much.

QUick question for prince fans, I only own 1999 and purple rain, any other album suggestions to check out his guitar playing?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    dont forget, 2 battles at a time, vote in the #12 one also (Robertson vs Green)
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Had to go with Prince.

@NX013...You might check out Diamonds & Pearls.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Ill check it out, the thing with him is the only songs I know, not on 1999 or purple rain, are the big hits, Gett off, Kiss, rasberry berret etc.
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Should've linked this for Prince:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7sT1HRV2qU

Unforgettable solo there. Just amazing how skilled and unappreciated he is.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2008
    foolosophy;1058882 said:
    Should've linked this for Prince:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7sT1HRV2qU

Unforgettable solo there. Just amazing how skilled and unappreciated he is.
    i had to link a way for ppl to listen to his songs, and youtube makes everyone take anything close to his songs off immediately
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    NX013;1058868 said:
    Ill check it out, the thing with him is the only songs I know, not on 1999 or purple rain, are the big hits, Gett off, Kiss, rasberry berret etc.
    Same here. I ended up buying 3 or 4 of his c.d.'s when I was d.j.'ing and got to like some of his songs just by people requesting them all the time. Other than "Purple Rain", seems like the other c.d.'s of his that I've got only have 1or 2 good songs on the whole c.d.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    NX013;1058735 said:
    I voted for Prince, because of his tone and his technique, though I love Eddie Hazel just as much.

QUick question for prince fans, I only own 1999 and purple rain, any other album suggestions to check out his guitar playing?

Sign O' The Times
    Batman
    Symbol
    Gold Experience
    Chaos and Disorder
    Crystal Ball
    The Truth ( this one is cool as it's essentially Prince unplugged)
    One Night Alone...Live!

Also have a look at either the Sign O' The Times Concert DVD or Prince Live at the Aladdin DVD. Both excellent performances and both show off his playing. Sign O' The Times shows him on the drum kit for a bit as well while Live at the Aladdin he does great covers of Love Rollercoaster and Whol Lotta Love.