Rock Band Pre-Blog

FrehleyFrehley Is Not Rivers Cuomo
edited August 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Hello all! Howdy, yo, hey, hi, whatever. :cool:

You all are probably wondering why I made a new thread. Well, for a long time I have not been a fan of these music simulation games until I played them with my friend K-Dawg. I realized that if you don't treat the game like an actual instrument and spend more time on a real instrument, then it can be a fun, social experiance. Sort of a new, interactive way to listen to music. And also my wife is interested. :cool:

So I came to these boards and will stay here until late Wednesday Pacific Time (I'll take a lot of breaks, I'm a busy man :cool:) to learn about this community and get pre-Rock Band advice before I make the purchase.

Lastly, I would like to say that I am sorry for judging Rock Band before I played it. I had only seen it before I knew what it could be. :cool:

Also, there is a thread saying I am Rivers Cuomo? What's up with that? :cool:

Comments

• dady5000dady5000 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1089480 said:
    Hello all! Howdy, yo, hey, hi, whatever. :cool:

You all are probably wondering why I made a new thread. Well, for a long time I have not been a fan of these music simulation games until I played them with my friend K-Dawg. I realized that if you don't treat the game like an actual instrument and spend more time on a real instrument, then it can be a fun, social experiance. Sort of a new, interactive way to listen to music. And also my wife is interested. :cool:

So I came to these boards and will stay here until late Wednesday Pacific Time (I'll take a lot of breaks, I'm a busy man :cool:) to learn about this community and get pre-Rock Band advice before I make the purchase.

Lastly, I would like to say that I am sorry for judging Rock Band before I played it. I had only seen it before I knew what it could be. :cool:

Also, there is a thread saying I am Rivers Cuomo? What's up with that? :cool:
    Maybe you are Rivers Cuomo? :rolleyes:

(Rock Band is very fun though, and I concur with the "Interactive way to listen to music" I've learned about a few new artists and their songs I may have never heard before I played RB)

Maybe you aren't Rivers Cuomo? :rolleyes:

We may never know...

Hi, Rivers!
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Lol he's already off-line. Meleeman will be sad :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2008
    Take the whole is-or-is-not Rivers Cuomo nonsense out of the mix, it is cool to see more people coming around to this type of game.

Its not about replacing real instruments, more like a fun social experience which happens to have awesome music as a centerpiece.
    edited August 2008
    He added an avatar *gasp*
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited August 2008
    Meleeman where are you?

If this is Rivers thanks for Red album.

Also the game is a good way to escape the real world. I play guitar and the game but one doesn't take away from one another. The skill on either is almost exclusive to each.
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited August 2008
    Well, I would recommend waiting for Rock Band 2's release to make the purchase. The updated, more accurate instrument controllers, slicker menu system, and a brand new soundtrack are all reasons. I'm a musician myself and there is still something I really love about playing Rock Band with friends, especially when the people that I play with are good enough at the game and secure enough in their egos to let go and really get into it. There is also something else that is really cool about the game that perhaps having an online music collection lends itself to as well. I just love being able to scroll through and look at all the album covers and listen to all of this wonderful, iconic, eclectic collection of music. It's Rock Band's wonderful variety that increases it's longevity. Your songs make great additions, too. The Red Album is fantastic, extra-especially "The Angel and the One" and "Dreamin'"
  • MeleeManMeleeMan Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    HOLY S***!!!! RIVERS IS ON AGAIN?!?!?!!?!?!? F*** YES HE'S BAACK!!!!!!!!!

Rivers, man, what's up?:D:D:D
  • FrehleyFrehley Is Not Rivers Cuomo
    edited August 2008
    Die-Guitar-Hero;1089617 said:
    Well, I would recommend waiting for Rock Band 2's release to make the purchase. The updated, more accurate instrument controllers, slicker menu system, and a brand new soundtrack are all reasons. I'm a musician myself and there is still something I really love about playing Rock Band with friends, especially when the people that I play with are good enough at the game and secure enough in their egos to let go and really get into it. There is also something else that is really cool about the game that perhaps having an online music collection lends itself to as well. I just love being able to scroll through and look at all the album covers and listen to all of this wonderful, iconic, eclectic collection of music. It's Rock Band's wonderful variety that increases it's longevity. Your songs make great additions, too. The Red Album is fantastic, extra-especially "The Angel and the One" and "Dreamin'"
    Thanks a lot. So Rock Band is going to have a sequel? That's a lot of music games.
    edited August 2008
    Yah but don't worry if you buy the xbox version of it and buy Weezer, Kiss and Pixies songs, you can still play them on Rock Band 2
  • Bang CamaroBang Camaro Banned
    edited August 2008
    That is some serious overuse of :cool:. Use some different smilies...:p;):D:o:):(:confused::mad::rolleyes:
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited August 2008
    What C-Wiener means is:

You can transfer all of the songs from RB1, to RB2 through Xbox Live. You have to pay a fee though.
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1089664 said:
    Thanks a lot. So Rock Band is going to have a sequel? That's a lot of music games.
    Everything with the first game is in the second and so much more. All songs can be played on the second game that you can play on the first. You can even bring over the Rock Band 1 songs if you have the first disc.

Just remember that all downloads work for both games and so do the instruments.
    edited August 2008
    Yes, the sequel comes out September 14th. Mr. Cuomo, please use appropriate Wikipedia pages! We'll be happy to help you with anything not detailed there.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited August 2008
    Hi, potentially Rivers. :)

I'm with the others on this topic; Rock Band's a great medium for getting to know new genres and artists, and has really allowed me to enjoy songs by immersing myself in them.

Also, thanks for "Greatest Man That Ever Lived". My friends love to sing that one :)
    edited August 2008
    So, what is the difference between Rock Band and Guitar Hero?
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1089844 said:
    You know how companies some times buy names or "intellectual properties" and then continue to use them even after the original creators have since moved on? It happens in movies all the time. People often wonder why sequels to movies are so terrible and it is often because the name stays but the people involved do not. Guitar Hero was originally developed by the people who made Rock Band (Harmonix). After the success of Guitar Hero 2, Harmonix was purchased by the newly founded MTV Games, but Harmonix couldn't bring the name "Guitar Hero" with them. That name stayed with their original publisher, Activision, and be damned if Activision wasn't going to continue to profit off of this now fairly well-known name. They conscripted one of their in-house developers to make a sequel and the Guitar Hero franchise has continued on since then. Harmonix continues to innovate and expand the music game genre and must struggle to compete with the franchise they made popular.
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1089844 said:
    I'll try my best to answer, from my opinion :)

For me, Rock Band is more about the group experience and enjoying the music. It's really cool to get through a difficult song with your friends backing you up! The game is also about the diversity that is provided through the weekly downloads, so the song selection is constantly fresh.

Guitar Hero has become more of a competitive game: who can get the highest score, beat another person, etc. They do have some amazing songs in there, but the focus is more on making the game difficult than anything else. Of course, that might all change with the World Tour version coming out in the fall, which seems to be copying the Rock Band formula.

Again, that's just my opinion :)
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    In terms of gameplay, it used to be that Guitar Hero is a 2-player guitar-only game and RockBand was the 4-player game that would allow you to sing or drum. That is changing in the near future with the release of Guitar Hero: World Tour.

The graphics are also considerably different. GH tends to be more cartoonish, even those rockers based on real people such as Aerosmith. RB rockers look more realistic, even though they are still animated.

There's also different music tracks on each game, and (as of now) only Guitar Hero 3 and RockBand allow for Downloadable Content (DLC). GH usually sells only 3-packs of tracks, and they are offered rather sparsely... whereas RockBand updates weekly with packs ranging in size from a bunch of singles to a whopping 12-pack for the Who. RB is also the only one to offer albums at the moment.
    edited August 2008
    kiggidykev;1089878 said:
    I'll try my best to answer, from my opinion :)

For me, Rock Band is more about the group experience and enjoying the music. It's really cool to get through a difficult song with your friends backing you up! The game is also about the diversity that is provided through the weekly downloads, so the song selection is constantly fresh.

Guitar Hero has become more of a competitive game: who can get the highest score, beat another person, etc. They do have some amazing songs in there, but the focus is more on making the game difficult than anything else. Of course, that might all change with the World Tour version coming out in the fall, which seems to be copying the Rock Band formula.

Again, that's just my opinion :)
    So Guitar Hero is more like a video game than a music simulator?
    edited August 2008
    So, I guess the difference as far as games go is about preference, really. The two games are fundamentally the same because they were envisioned by the same creator, but Rock Band is certainly more innovative. Now Activision is trying to change that. The next iteration of Guitar Hero is playing catch up and trying to include the whole band experience, but it seems like an after thought. The other big difference, I think, is that Harmonix really tries to build their soundtracks eclectically and often shies away from the biggest hits to make their games as fun as possible.
  • lawandorder_29lawandorder_29 Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1089888 said:
    So Guitar Hero is more like a video game than a music simulator?
    Yea, I believe that is a fair comparison. Rock Band is the more innovative title IMHO. (I believe Harmonix says they "innovate, then perfect.")
    edited August 2008
    lawandorder_29;1089987 said:
    I believe Harmonix says they "innovate, then perfect.")
    Just like me.:cool:

I like this forum a lot. The peope here are knowledgable about music and are really cool at giving advice.
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1090017 said:

I like this forum a lot. The peope here are knowledgable about music and are really cool at giving advice.
    You will find that to be true for about 85% of us. We are pretty relaxed and love the music. Also, the general area is more of laxed place to find info and talk compared to the other sub forums.
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1090017 said:

A lot of us can get really rowdy from time to time though when Harmonix doesn't release the songs of our choice. I think we are all sitting really happily right now because tomorrow all of Rush's Moving Pictures album comes out for Rock Band. Ultimately though, regardless of what songs they decide to include, I think we all really believe in the product and are really open to people curious about trying it out. Much like your own music, there is a universality to this game that we will all testify to.
    edited August 2008
    My friend K-Dawg tolf me that Weezer will be a full-album download long after the Weezer 3-pack that users insist is fake will become availiable. Is this fake, too?
    edited August 2008
    Especially when it seems like someone is already open to appreciating it for its intricacies and not just for its "fun to play at parties when drunk" appeal.
    edited August 2008
    Frehley;1090092 said:
    My friend K-Dawg tolf me that Weezer will be a full-album download long after the Weezer 3-pack that users insist is fake will become availiable. Is this fake, too?
    I do believe that's the sound of a hint being dropped ;)
    edited August 2008
    kiggidykev;1090118 said:
    I do believe that's the sound of a hint being dropped ;)
    I'm not going to get sued for telling you that, am I? :eek:

Haha joking.:cool:
    edited August 2008
    Now the three pack K-Dawg mentioned does sound hella fun.

Also did he say what album. =D
    edited August 2008
    If you're really Rivers I would like to ask you your stance on something that has plagued me for quite some time.

When I have something to say I say it. To sit down and write a song about it after wards seems redundant. Does the world need to sing along? Do people need my thoughts? I'll never be able to think for them. I love music, though. So maybe I'll write music with nothing to say. Or am I wrong? Are we only as good as our best stories?
    At what point in life does it become necessary to record your reflections? and why does it become necessary? is it simply necessary because so few do reflect? I watch and I learn and I feed and I do and I grow. is the record the culmination? Do people record simply to share? Even those who record to "escape" really escaped with the thought and the act of recording was applied after wards. When ever I record and I reread, I find flaws. I find that what I had said was rarely what I was trying to say. it felt like it was at the time because when I was saying it I was thinking so many more things, but upon reflection it is a broken carcass. But I am impressed to think that if I never record my thoughts are lost. What is your insight?