Guitar Advice

Hade01Hade01 Opening Act
edited June 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Howdy, folks. I'm looking to get more into guitar playing. I've been playing on and off for the past year or so, but I am by no means great. I think it would help me a great bit if I got a better guitar before I start getting serious because my old one sucks way too much ass. So, this is what I'm currently looking at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039.

As for an amp, I have absolutely no clue, but I've been pointed towards Roland and Line 6 quite a few times. All I know is that I would like something with quite a few effects built in and good quality sound.

For the guitar, I don't know if I would like to go with single-coil pickup or a humbucker. I think the music I'll be playing most will be classic rock, like 60's, 70's and 80's stuff, along with some blues.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2007
    that is a great choice for a guitar to learn with!
  • Hade01Hade01 Opening Act
    edited June 2007
    bounchfx;6233 said:
    that is a great choice for a guitar to learn with!
    Many thanks. :) I've looked through a good many and finally felt satisfied with this one.
  • zankfrappazankfrappa Opening Act
    edited June 2007
    what colour did you go for?
    edited June 2007
    Brown sunburst. I might change my mind somewhere along the line, but, for now, I like that one the best.

I have noticed, though, that, out of all the different colors, the brown sunburst is the only one that is $434.99 while the rest are $399.99. Seriously, what the crap? <_<
  • Rayzor7Rayzor7 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    I wish I could afford a guitar like that...

Im using a Fender Starcaster (Just reading it off the head of the guitar) for my band, and it works pretty well.

For Amps, get at least 15 watts, with built in EQ. Thats some good stuff right there.
    edited June 2007
    Rayzor7;6995 said:
    I wish I could afford a guitar like that...

Im using a Fender Starcaster (Just reading it off the head of the guitar) for my band, and it works pretty well.

For Amps, get at least 15 watts, with built in EQ. Thats some good stuff right there.
    Cool. I can't say I know much about the Starcaster, though.

Hmmm, hows about this one? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197 Well above 15 watts.

And, I'm still stuck on the whole "humbucker/ single-coil" ordeal. I've heard many say that single-coil is ideal for Fender, and that humbucker should be left for Gibson, but, I dunno.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited June 2007
    As for an amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272

For the guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

This is just my opinion of course, but I have been playing for about 7 years and this setup makes me drool, if youre going to lay down $400 for a guitar. The amp is a solid practice amp and you can get a lot of tones out of it, lots of nice built in effects. The Les Paul of course is just my predjudice.. I'm not a big fan of Strats even if it's got a humbucker at the bridge. I like the range of tones that the LP is known for... fat tones man, crunch, power, burning leads, thats what I like. Don't let the name fool you, just cause it's an epiphone, this thing is 95% of what the Gibson is for WAY less.
    edited June 2007
    newwaytodie;7022 said:
    As for an amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272

For the guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

This is just my opinion of course, but I have been playing for about 7 years and this setup makes me drool, if youre going to lay down $400 for a guitar. The amp is a solid practice amp and you can get a lot of tones out of it, lots of nice built in effects. The Les Paul of course is just my predjudice.. I'm not a big fan of Strats even if it's got a humbucker at the bridge. I like the range of tones that the LP is known for... fat tones man, crunch, power, burning leads, thats what I like. Don't let the name fool you, just cause it's an epiphone, this thing is 95% of what the Gibson is for WAY less.
    I know its quality. My stepbrother had one. (still does, I'd imagine) It was a nice guitar, but I don't think I won't two humbuckers, though, not yet anyway. I think I might just get a single coil Strat, THEN, when I feel the time is right, I'll go for a Les Paul with at least one humbucker. Aren't humbuckers supposed to be better for metal and the like, anyhow? Could I, hypothetically, get by with an H/S/S layout on the Stratocaster and be able to play harder rock while still being able to play stuff like Clapton and Hendrix?

And, the amp, that's a specific one I've been pointed to. A bit cheaper than the Roland, as well. Hmm, I figure I might pick it up. The Roland, however, I know is pretty good; my grandfather owns a smaller 30 watt amp that has a good selection and sound. Though, the spider looks as if it has more effects and the like, which I would like. I'll just have to mess with those first hand.
    edited June 2007
    I jam on the amp every time I go to Guitar Center, check it out. As far as the LP being for metal I'm not so sure about that one. Strats can cut through, but LP's have a nice warm natural tone that can go from amazingly rich clean tones to Zakk Wylde metal and everything in between. I sound like a rep for LP but I just really like the guitar. I've never played a H-S-S strat, maybe if you ditched the factory humbucker and threw in something with a little more bite.
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, alrighty. But, if I were to get a Les Paul, would you definately suggest a two humbucker layout?
  • MisterBonesMisterBones Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Line 6 is a good amp for the money but I think down the road you'll really find a tube amp preferable. To avoid buying another amp down the road I would look for a tube amp right off the bat.

Fender
    Orange
    Mesa Boogie
    Marshall
    Vox

those are fantastic amp manufacturers - keep in mind that most manufacturers make both tube and solid state amps. Tubes are generally a bit more expensive but you won't be able to match the tone of any well known pro players without one.
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the advice, MisterBones.

I was actually planning on getting the Vox AD30VT, but I think it might lack a footswitch input, which I would really like. I'll go with this one if I can't find anything else as reasonable.
    edited June 2007
    Also, would it be, for any reason, unwise to invest in this sometime down the road? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Pedal?sku=150839 The "wah" feature itself seems too mouth-watering to pass up.
  • MisterBonesMisterBones Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    I went through an anti multi pedal in one for a while there because I was a stupid tone purist. Then I toyed with the Line 6 gear and bought their delay mod, and then got to jam on this bad boy http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&DepartmentID=1&STRID=10131&CategorySubID=1036&CategoryID=1036&BrandID=1495&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=trueHonestly

Regarding the Hendrix pedal, I looked through the page and read the reviews and some others - I'm thinking about picking up that pedal. DigiTech makes great stuff - though it is often more fragile than the Boss and Line 6 stuff.

Just make sure you don't beat it up too bad on the road should you end up there. I've had a boss pedal with me for about 8 years and it looks like it was involved in a house fire because it's so beat to crap. But it still works like I pulled it out of the box.

Also the Crybaby is going to be the best tonal wah but there's a Steve Vai wah that is step activated (bad horsey II) and for convenience I love it. Those crybabies can be tricky to turn on and off if you're just doing a small wah section.

So long story short, I'd buy this pedal if you don't already have any of those effects and you won't be taking it for long stretches on the road.
    edited June 2007
    No, no, purely for private sessions and the like. And, no, I don't have those effects. Thanks for the extra advice, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Oh, there is also a Clapton pedal available if you are interested, though the Hendrix one seems better to me. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Eric-Clapton-Crossroads-Pedal?sku=150837
    edited June 2007
    I don't think there are any LP's with single coils. I could be wrong, like there could some crazy old model that never took off.

Oh and yeah, tube amps are great if you're willing to pay thousands of dollars!
    edited June 2007
    newwaytodie;7266 said:
    I don't think there are any LP's with single coils. I could be wrong, like there could some crazy old model that never took off.

Oh and yeah, tube amps are great if you're willing to pay thousands of dollars!
    I don't think I'll be going for a tube amp just yet. I'll invest in one later, but certainly not now.

I'm also thinkin' that I'll get an authentic Les Paul along with an American Fender with the S/S/S setup; this, however, will definately be pretty far along from now. Right now, I've decided to go strictly with the Fender H/S/S. For one, it'll be the only guitar that I will own for a while, so the setup is ideal. And, two, I'll have the best of both worlds, and obvious benefit.