History of Rock: Conversation and Announcements Thread

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited August 2008 in History of Rock
I decided the forum should have a thread where we can just sit back and chat about music without creating 100s of threads, also for a place for HoRers to talk about thread ideas and announce if they created a thread (maybe here, maybe somewhere else on the forums). And a place to just spread the word of music!

Comments

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited August 2008
    This should be stickied.

Does anyone else here HATE fade outs? Especially when the song has a great solo that it fades out during. Take Fade to Black for example. Great song (though I honestly find it to be a bit overrated), but just as it's rocking the hardest, it decides to cut out and leave you hanging. I just wish the bands would finish the songs rather than leave you hanging. I would rather they end it, if in an anti-climactic way.

It's like Farenheit 451. If you look at the book, it ends in a way that ties up no loose ends and leaves you wishing more had happened, but at least it's an ending and actually works well. The movie? It just ends in the middle. Nothing but a THE END appearing on the screen at a random point. That's just lazy in my opinion.

(For those who want to know what I'm talking about with the endings:

In the book, it ends with a bomb coming out of nowhere and blowing everyone up. In the movie, it just chooses a scene towards the end of the book and suddenly decides to end)
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    Hungryfreak;1119643 said:
    This should be stickied.

Does anyone else here HATE fade outs? Especially when the song has a great solo that it fades out during. Take Fade to Black for example. Great song (though I honestly find it to be a bit overrated), but just as it's rocking the hardest, it decides to cut out and leave you hanging. I just wish the bands would finish the songs rather than leave you hanging. I would rather they end it, if in an anti-climactic way.

I think it shows weakness in a band if they cant end a song properly. Fade outs annoy me as well. one reason i dont like the beatles they overuse the fade out.
    I really hate long songs that end in fade outs. But the worst is when an album ends in a fade out. If your going to structure an Album you need to finish it you cant just leave it hanging

on a side note i just added some songs to my myspace if anyone would like to check them out
    http://www.myspace.com/thedogs430 Im still trying to figure out the recording prosses its hard without a real drummer and doing all tracks once at a time
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I'll give this a shot and throw something out there. Been doing a little more reading than posting lately and I noticed in another thread yesterday schiz that you had the Ozark Mountain Daredevils listed as a group nobody's really heard of. I've listened to them for years and "Jackie Blue" or "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" usually ends up on a mixed c.d. that I've made.

After I saw your post I went off on a tangent and started to think about why I like some of the music I listen to. With a few exceptions...I really don't have "favorite" artists and have always tried to keep an open mind to all types of music and have quite a few songs I listen to from all different genres of music.

Anyway, after thinking about it for a bit I noticed on a majority of the songs that have caught my attention and made me want to go out and buy the c.d. it's because it has a distorted or fuzzy sound from the guitar, "Don't Take Me Alive" by Steely Dan or "Stay With Me" by Faces are good examples.

A couple other things I've noticed that catch my ear are songs with great harmonies, songs that have a "honky-tonk" style piano to them and songs that have harmonica parts. "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" and a lot of Blues Traveler songs would be good examples of the harmonica. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Call Me the Breeze" would be good examples of the piano style I was talking about. (Pretty sure Little Feat has some examples too but I haven't listened to them in a while).

For examples of harmonies....The Hollies, CSN&Y, The Mamas & The Papas are a few off the top of my head.

I listen to a lot of older R&B music too and think that may have a lot to do with either the vocals or the bass lines in the songs. (Way too many to give examples of on this one...haha).
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited August 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;1119686 said:
    I think it shows weakness in a band if they cant end a song properly. Fade outs annoy me as well. one reason i dont like the beatles they overuse the fade out.
    I really hate long songs that end in fade outs. But the worst is when an album ends in a fade out. If your going to structure an Album you need to finish it you cant just leave it hanging
    For me, at the end of an album is okay. At least there it fits. Where it really gets me is when a band does it in the middle of a good solo. Think of Lights Out by UFO. It's an awesome song and the solo is delicious, but the song fades out right in the middle of it. You know they had to have finished the solo, but they won't let you listen to the rest of it. That type of thing really bugs me.
  • synthesizedpianosynthesizedpiano Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Hungryfreak;1119850 said:
    For me, at the end of an album is okay. At least there it fits. Where it really gets me is when a band does it in the middle of a good solo. Think of Lights Out by UFO. It's an awesome song and the solo is delicious, but the song fades out right in the middle of it. You know they had to have finished the solo, but they won't let you listen to the rest of it. That type of thing really bugs me.
    Sometimes fadeouts work well, like in Elton John songs where he repeats a part (usually the chorus) a couple times and it fades. But I do hate it when the fadeout cuts off a guitar solo or the band repeats a part too much before fading out *cough* Police *cough* My dad always makes fun of songs like Hey Jude by The Beatles or Pull Me Under by Dream Theater and says that the band didn't know how to end the song so they just ended abruptly or kept repeating until they got bored.