Local Bands Appreciation Thread

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited July 2009 in History of Rock
Here's a thread to post your favorite local bands to make them not-so-local!

Post your favorites here (myspace, own sites, etc.)

here's my fav. (yeah, I whore their name out a lot...)

the Crawpuppies

http://www.crawpuppies.com/

enjoy and post your own!

Comments

• Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    band from my school, Ella Meno

http://www.myspace.com/ellameno they don't have their best song on their page, but Saint is pretty good

unfortunately, the rest from my school are complete crap.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited August 2008
    They don't have a myspace page, or anything online for that matter. But a band called "Primative Soul", a blues rock band made up of 50 year old men, performs at a local festivals and such. Very good.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited August 2008
    The only local band I really know is an ambient band started by my brother's friend. The band's under the guy's name:

Alex Luquet

The glockenspiel used on Pinwheel Cloudset belonged to me before. I gave it to him for use in the band, since I wasn't really using it anymore. Since it apparently had my name printed on it (my name being Gabriel), the band refers to it as the Gabriel glockenspiel, haha. They're nice enough people, though I can't say I know them all too well. I know Alex the best. The rest I've only met once when they performed at a local coffee shop (the place that's in the top three photos, actually).
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Maken Kozapo. The name comes from an ancient traditional japanese war music.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=44443938
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    There was this sweet band that opened up for Immortal last year. They were called Apollo Dawn. Sweet, sweet death metal band with dual guitar leads and all that good stuff.
    edited September 2008
    I'm looking through all the bands mentioned so far:

Crawpuppies: Listened through the songs on their main page, they're okay. Some of their music is reminiscent of some of the Beatles' work. I'm not a big fan of powerpop, but they're okay. They've got some pretty catchy stuff, though. From those songs, I would say I like Slave to the Puppeteer best.

Ella Meno: I listened through Saint. I can't say I'm a big fan. The solo was pretty good, but the main riff was a bit weak in my opinion and didn't keep me too interested and the ending was a bit abrupt. I decided to give Africa a chance, though, and I think it was a bit better. It had a somewhat psychedelic sound to it, which I liked, and the drum interlude towards the end was also cool. It's ending was a bit abrupt as well, though. It's a bit annoying since it sounds like the guitarist is just about to rock out and then the song stops.

Maken Kozapo: Maybe it's because I didn't read the page at first, but the french singing caught me a bit off guard for a second. Listened through 207 and Orgasme. Not bad. They worked the piano and electric guitar together well. I liked Orgasme best out of the two, but is it just me, or do they say "Je suis fou" a bit too often? I heard that at least 4-5 times in each song. A minor nitpick, though.

Couldn't find anything on Primitive Soul (as stated earlier) or Apollo Dawn.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, as I said, Ella Meno doesn't have their best song up there. Their drummer is by far the best I've ever heard in my area though.
    edited September 2008
    Definitely. The drumming was probably the best part of the songs. There's potential there, in the band. It's just held back by the songwriting, I think. Maybe I just need to hear more of the songs that they didn't put up on the myspace page, though.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited September 2008
    Stinking Lizaveta
    http://www.stinkinglizaveta.com/
    They might be a bit bigger than the other bands in this thread, but they're still very much underground. RockDetector describes them as "doom-jazz", so I know some of you HoR folks will dig 'em. And they're tons of fun live.
    Not to mention they use an upright electric bass.
    edited September 2008
    Hungryfreak;1148906 said:
    Maken Kozapo: Maybe it's because I didn't read the page at first, but the french singing caught me a bit off guard for a second. Listened through 207 and Orgasme. Not bad. They worked the piano and electric guitar together well. I liked Orgasme best out of the two, but is it just me, or do they say "Je suis fou" a bit too often? I heard that at least 4-5 times in each song. A minor nitpick, though.
    Thanks for commenting. What I love about Maken Kozapo is their shows. The singer/keyboardist seems totally lost in the songs.

I listened to Alex Luquet and to be straightforward: I didn't like it. I don't usually listen to ambiant music, maybe that's why. It doesn't catch me. But I recognize it's original and very soothing.
    edited September 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1150625 said:
    Stinking Lizaveta
    They might be a bit bigger than the other bands in this thread, but they're still very much underground. RockDetector describes them as "doom-jazz", so I know some of you HoR folks will dig 'em. And they're tons of fun live.

They're okay. Some vocals would really help their music in my opinion. The material they have is cool, but they need something to tie it together better, if you know what I mean. Listened to Out of Breath, To the Sun and Scream Iron Iconoclast. I liked To the Sun best, personally.
    edited September 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1150625 said:
    Stinking Lizaveta
    I could get to like it after a couple of listenings. Very talented band.
    edited September 2008
    Hungryfreak;1150708 said:
    They're okay. Some vocals would really help their music in my opinion. The material they have is cool, but they need something to tie it together better, if you know what I mean. Listened to Out of Breath, To the Sun and Scream Iron Iconoclast. I liked To the Sun best, personally.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Live they tend to throw in some random "whooo!"s in on vocals (and some screaming into the guitar to produce vibrations, which is always a cool trick, if a bit overdone). I find their music is best if you're either stoned (seeing as it's stoner rock) or you let it run in the background. If you really focus in on it, you can find faults, but if you just let it jam in the background, you'll find yourself nodding to the beat and tapping your toes and whatnot.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited September 2008
    Hungryfreak;1148906 said:
    I'm looking through all the bands mentioned so far:

Crawpuppies: Listened through the songs on their main page, they're okay. Some of their music is reminiscent of some of the Beatles' work. I'm not a big fan of powerpop, but they're okay. They've got some pretty catchy stuff, though. From those songs, I would say I like Slave to the Puppeteer best.
    yeah, its one of my favs. and they are VERY reminiscent of the Beatles, but seeing them live is amazing, they do the greatest covers I've ever heard, like when they played "Play That Funky Music" live during a 5 hour concert they did and played like 15 songs to the beat of Play That Funky Music (Mellencamp, Charlie Daniels, Michael Jackson, etc. all to that same music). They do amazing Doors, Zeppelin, and AC/DC covers, on youtube you can find Moby Dick and Maybe I'm Amazed

my fav. cover they started implementing this year is when the gutiarist sings and plays this very long extended (like the original cover) cover of Rare Earth's version of Get Ready, its mindblowing
    edited September 2008
    Here's a local band I heard from my friend. Tetsuo. They're a tech/death metal band. I heard of them from my friend, who's apparently learning guitar from the guitarist. They aren't too great or anything, but some of their material I've heard on their myspace is pretty cool.
    edited September 2008
    I've posted about these guys in the music blog, but I might as well post them here.
    The Five One is an alternative hip-hop group from Reston, VA. Ironically I've been in college most of the time(in Philly) since I heard of them, so I haven't been able to actually see them live, despite them being freakishly close to me.
    http://www.myspace.com/officialfiveone

Also, they were one of the Top 12 bands in the MTV2 competition to get on Rock Band (remember that bad MTV2 pack a while ago?).
  • JetSetRadi0JetSetRadi0 Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Love Me Electric- http://www.myspace.com/lovemeelectric

I use to go to a lot of their shows cause I was sorta friends with the drummer. (He knew some guys I use to hang with and we played a lot of volleyball one summer :)) They're not that big but they're pretty well known around the area. They're pretty much a typical pop punk style band, but they've played with some other similar bands that are pretty big. (Lucky Boys Confusion, Cartel, The Higher, This Providence...etc) They Also Played Warped Tour this year! :) I haven't heard much of their newer stuff, but I'd reccomend listening to either "I'll Count To Four" or "The Truth About Liars". :D
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Indigo Mood is a pretty good band that plays at my high school. They are heavily influenced by "classic rock".

A Gun That Shoots Knives - I don't know how to describe them. They have a very unique sound. Maybe experimental pop-rock? Idk, you tell me!

And the only other band I can think of right now is my band :D Colin and the Fruity Pebbles. We are Rock/Punk/Metal.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2009
    band i saw on July 5, Chester Brown, pretty good band, gonna pick up their album whenever i finally get my credit card
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Only one that I can think is really noteworthy is Ocean, a Doom/Post-Sludge act from the downtown Portland area. Saw them live back in...March I believe, or February. Slow as hell but they put on a powerful show.

A description that someone I know made of their sound was 'if Swallow the Sun were Sludge.'
    edited July 2009
    Some more from the Illadelph:

The Extraordinaires
    Fun, eclectic, "indie" rock. Their myspace is linked in their "band" section for some samples.

Monolith
    Post-metal. Highly ambient.

Rumpelstiltskin Grinder
    Thrash metal. Darker and more aggressive than most revival thrash acts, but still contains a lot of the lighterhearted and cheesy lyrics.
  • Fragory123Fragory123 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Fact: No good bands ever came out of a rural town in Newfoundland.
    edited July 2009
    Fragory123;2699424 said:
    Fact: No good bands ever came out of a rural town in Newfoundland.
    http://www.newfoundlanders.net/musiclinks.html
  • Fragory123Fragory123 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Mystlyfe77;2699442 said:
    I take that back.

Though no bands from Newfoundland which I knew of I appreciate.
    Great Big Sea is the Nickelback of Newfoundland.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I mentioned them quite a few times and I'm certain I have annoyed most of the posters here with my posts about them but I shall try to put it to rest here.

Anyway the best band I know in the local area around me is a pop rock band called Vanity Theft. They're not a very serous band(kazoo solo on Edit Edit Edit) and while they break no ground I believe they still do fairly well. A somewhat mainstreamish sound but they're among my favorite bands to use this sound. I would check out Excavating and Edit Edit Edit from the myspace but have they have full tracks up on last.fm as well.

http://www.myspace.com/vanitytheft

http://www.last.fm/music/Vanity+Theft/Symptoms

http://www.last.fm/music/Vanity+Theft/Postscript%3A+Pace+Yourself

If you check out any song from the last.fm link, at least try Teeth and Bones, my favorite song from by far.
  • willdabeast21willdabeast21 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Black Moor is pretty good
    I also like Sloan and Matt Mays & El Torpedo, though they are popular all over Canada
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Rustic Overtones are the only local band I really know of that I like. They are basically legends around here.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Holy crap, another Mainer. What part?

And to stay on topic, Maine has a fairly solid Black Metal scene. The only band that I can think of that I really don't like is 13 Winters; the rest (Bothildir, Anno Daemonicus, Falls of Rauros) I've pretty much liked.

I hope Dead Season stays away from the mainstream, I'd hate this state to be known for them.
  • IdiostockIdiostock Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Juneau is a pretty tight band. The guitarist was my teacher when I was trying it out, and he gave me a copy of Safe and Sound for free.

I listen to the album a lot.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    There's 2 bands that were in my high school last and both of them sucked really so they don't deserve any appreciation. One was a punk/pop rock band called A Clear Blurr, they are playing on Warped Tour this year and I really don't know why because they absolutely suck. Another screamo/hardcore band called Kill The Silence and they also suck.

My band is still on the rise, we don't have a name yet and we don't have a vocalist. We are trying to become a progressive metal band, but I don't see that happening since we don't have too much knowledge of music theory.