The 100 Greatest Rock Bassists

Comments

• GenJonhForrealGenJonhForreal Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    bad, jonh entwistle should be number 1, and even though i don't like metallica cliff burton should be ahead of jonh paul jone ever led zep is my favorite band and metalica is not, though i really is a shame cliffy died young, he had so much energy and he was very very very very talented
  • ExpertDrummerExpertDrummer Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    SWEET Flea and Les Claypol in top 10!! They deserve it...
    ...Two bad***'s
    I am HAPPY:) Tim Commerford is on the list,but rank 94...NOOO!!
    LOL They are bad*** though!:):D

EDIT:I didn't notice but John Myung is on there rank 53!
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Much better list than I was expecting, but in my opinion, John Paul Jones and Paul Mcartney are higher than they should be.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited September 2008
    McCartney is waaaay to high. Claypool should be ahead of Flea, and Lee should be a bit higher. Cliff Burton needs to be waaaaaay higher. Lack of mention for Victor Wooten is epic fail. Myung is too low too.
    This is mediocre at best.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    No Dennis Dunaway. Huge oversight.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1157181 said:
    McCartney is waaaay to high. Claypool should be ahead of Flea, and Lee should be a bit higher. Cliff Burton needs to be waaaaaay higher. Lack of mention for Victor Wooten is epic fail. Myung is too low too.
    This is mediocre at best.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1157280 said:
    So why is #1 not a rock bassist?
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited September 2008
    Very good list. Nice to see Levin in there and I love the choice of Jamerson at numero uno. However, 'Arry and Cliffy are too low. Both are top ten material.
    edited September 2008
    Rev0lver;1157375 said:
    So why is #1 not a rock bassist?
    They Group Soul/Funk/R&B in with Rock.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited September 2008
    Tim Bogert, Jack Bruce, Greg Lake, Tony Levin, Chris Squire, Donald Dunn, Larry Graham all on one list????

I HIGHLY endorse this list!
  • kevmaster2000kevmaster2000 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Good list! Very happy to see two of my favorite bass players (not technically the best, but great and very soulful) on the list, albeit near the bottom: Doug Pinnick and Doug Wimbish. And the top 10 is great. Not often we get a list this good.
  • John_SJohn_S Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Other than Steve Harris being slightly underranked, a very good list.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Lots of obvious 'classic rock' choices interspersed with a few newer names and some 'colour'. It'd be nice if Pitchfork did a list just for moi.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    what no one from x-japan or nightwish but some one from mars volta. I am sorry this list fails. Then wtf is paul doing in the top 10 let alone the top 30
    edited February 2009
    zeldazeppelin;1962679 said:
    what no one from x-japan or nightwish but some one from mars volta. I am sorry this list fails. Then wtf is paul doing in the top 10 let alone the top 30
    I don't remember the X Japan bassist being particularly special... Also, lol Nightwoosh.
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1962694 said:
    I don't remember the X Japan bassist being particularly special... Also, lol Nightwoosh.
    1.well he is better then paul.
    2.well X-Japan is better then the beatles.
    3. He did not make the list and I like nightwish lol.
    4. I swear the have something against japan and a few extra countries because bands from those countries always get over looked.
    5.How did DT bassist make it so high on the list ?
    edited February 2009
    zeldazeppelin;1962717 said:
    1.well he is better then paul.
    2.well X-Japan is better then the beatles.
    3. He did not make the list and I like nightwish lol.
    4. I swear the have something against japan and a few extra countries because bands from those countries always get over looked.
    5.How did DT bassist make it so high on the list ?
    O true, I didn't contest your Paul bashing because I hate the smarmy, semi-talented wastoid.
    X Japan is not greater than the Beatles though, they were never as innovative or catchy, and their discography was very spotty, in despite writing some of my favourite ballads.
    Non-anglophone countries always get overlooked in everything, it's not that much of a shock. I mean yes, it's bad, but nothing that I would get worked up about anymore. Personally I'm sick of the Japanese fetishism of the current youth scene.
  • ClydeClyde Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I personally think that list should include Kenny Aaronson. He was a very talented and in demand session bassist in the early seventies after he left Dust. After he joined Stories, he played on their #1 Billboard hit Brother Louie. He toured with Hall & Oates and recorded with Foghat, Bob Dylan, Sammy Hagar, Leslie West, Rick Derringer, Dave Edmunds, and Graham Parker.

Additionally, his group with Rick Derringer supported Aerosmith, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, and Led Zeppelin. He also later played in touring bands backing up Joan Jett and Billy Idol among others. In my mind his playing with Dust was phenomenal as well, and I highly recommend the band for anyone who likes early 70's hard rock.
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1962735 said:
    O true, I didn't contest your Paul bashing because I hate the smarmy, semi-talented wastoid.
    X Japan is not greater than the Beatles though, they were never as innovative or catchy, and their discography was very spotty, in despite writing some of my favourite ballads.
    Non-anglophone countries always get overlooked in everything, it's not that much of a shock. I mean yes, it's bad, but nothing that I would get worked up about anymore. Personally I'm sick of the Japanese fetishism of the current youth scene.
    You got me wrong i like japan's culture- music, cartoons, and electronics but I am not on of those people that are in love with it and I have liked it since before it became what it has become.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1157232 said:
    No Dennis Dunaway. Huge oversight.
    this, "Dead Babies" is brilliant. For that matter, every bassline on the "Killer" album is brilliant.
  • CaNnIbAl LoSeRCaNnIbAl LoSeR Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    GEEZER BUTLER

best bassist
    edited February 2009
    zeldazeppelin;1962789 said:
    You got me wrong i like japan's culture- music, cartoons, and electronics but I am not on of those people that are in love with it and I have liked it since before it became what it has become.
    Wasn't a personal attack thar, friend, just an observation on the general attitudes and neo-orientalism of the myspace generation.
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1963233 said:
    Wasn't a personal attack thar, friend, just an observation on the general attitudes and neo-orientalism of the myspace generation.
    yeah I have to agree with you on that note then
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    Bad List.
    edited February 2009
    ^Bad Person.

Partially Joking
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1963407 said:
    ^Bad Person.

Partially Joking
    Not really! Man you try too hard. :D
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1962821 said:
    this, "Dead Babies" is brilliant. For that matter, every bassline on the "Killer" album is brilliant.
    Yup. For that matter every bassline Dennis ever did was brilliant. He knew exactly what to play, and more importantly what NOT to play.
  • ardshipmanardshipman Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    It Sucks! What kind of list of the top 100 rock bassists doesn't include Gene Simmons? One that shouldn't be taken seriously, That's what kind. The top 5 should even look more like this:
    1. Les Claypool
    2. Billy Sheehan
    3. Geddy Lee
    4. Flea
    5. Steve Harris
    edited February 2009
    Gene Simmons shouldn't be taken seriously.
    edited February 2009
    Gowienczyk;1963605 said:
    Gene Simmons shouldn't be taken seriously.

Agreed, though I will defend his playing on the earlier KISS material. Back when he gave a crap he could be damn good, there's some killer walking bass lines on a lot of the early stuff.