Suggestion: New Sort Category: "by Date Downloaded" or "by Date Released"

dlowelldlowell MAJOR Noob
edited September 2008 in Rock Band
If I'm like any of the other rockers, I like to download the new DLC the day it comes out and play all of those songs right away, and then I usually like to play the previous weeks stuff (just to get familiar with the newer DLC). Today as I was going threw the 200+ tracks in Rock Band when I though, why isn't their a category called "by date downloaded" or "by date released". Seems like a pretty useful thing to do (probably easy too, but I'm no developer).

If there isn't new ways to find songs in Rock Band 2, I think by the end of the year (500 songs I'm looking at YOU!) we will have a patch to change that, otherwise it will take an unacceptable amount of time to find a song your looking for.

Maybe I'm the only one who has problem with song selection taking to long with our ever growing list of track, but I doubt it. Lets hear how you feel about.

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2008
  • redlummadaredlummada Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    I like the idea as well, would be a nice implimentation.
  • DontShutTheGateDontShutTheGate Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Wow, I never thought about it but a "Date downloaded" sort option would be awesome.

But hey, I'm for as many sort options as they can fit in.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I'm not disagreeing just to disagree, but I'd prefer not to have it. It just adds more clutter to the "sort by" list to sort through, and isn't really a functional or logical way of sorting within the context of the game.
  • dlowelldlowell MAJOR Noob
    edited September 2008
    geo2n2;1157020 said:
    I'm not disagreeing just to disagree, but I'd prefer not to have it. It just adds more clutter to the "sort by" list to sort through, and isn't really a functional or logical way of sorting within the context of the game.
    What do you mean "isn't a functional or logical way or within the context of the game"?

information like the download date and the genre among other things are stored as metadata with the song, if that's what your referring to.
    edited September 2008
    geo2n2;1157020 said:
    Sorry for the double post but let me get this straight, you would rather have to hit down 200 times then to have 1 or 2 more sort by options because it would add more "clutter"? I just want to make sure I understand your post.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited September 2008
    I always think of this when I'm playing but forget by the time I start posting

would be a great sort option
  • Ragin_CaucasionRagin_Caucasion Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I like this idea a lot. Too many times I'm trying to show off the awesome new songs, but somebody always gets distracted and chooses Baba 'O Reily or Sprode, and that just leaves all the other new songs to rot...
    dlowell;1157048 said:
    What do you mean "isn't a functional or logical way or within the context of the game"?

information like the download date and the genre among other things are stored as metadata with the song, if that's what your referring to.
    Also, I read this as metadong, somehow, lol. Must've combined metadata with song...
    edited September 2008
    I actually play with some people about once a month and they always ask "what new song have you got since last time I played" and its annoying to try and find the new ones.
  • KoRnyWayzKoRnyWayz Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    This is a great idea!
  • undertowundertow Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I really like this idea as well and to expound on it just a little, I think they could add this idea in the form of a "By Release Date" option. This would have Nov-20 for Rock Band 1 Tracks, and Sept-14 (Supposedly) for Rock Band 2 tracks and so on. Otherwise, listing it by Date Downloaded would show no Rock Band 2 tracks.
    edited September 2008
    undertow;1157178 said:
    I really like this idea as well and to expound on it just a little, I think they could add this idea in the form of a "By Release Date" option. This would have Nov-20 for Rock Band 1 Tracks, and Sept-14 (Supposedly) for Rock Band 2 tracks and so on. Otherwise, listing it by Date Downloaded would show no Rock Band 2 tracks.
    I figured it would just put all the RB1 tracks under 11-20-2007 and the RB2 tracks under 9-14(?)-2008. But Release date would make more sense. That way if you are someone who never bought DLC and then one day bought all of it those wouldn't be in one group. Definitely "By Release Date". Good Call.
  • paulstyles78paulstyles78 Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Great Idea would make sorting alot easier for those newer songs you want to

play not to mention finding the lost ones you havent played in a while.. Or

maybe a counter telling you how many times you played the song next to it
    edited September 2008
    paulstyles78;1157254 said:
    Or maybe a counter telling you how many times you played the song next to it
    Thats a good idea too!
  • sitbooboositsitbooboosit Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    Those would be great. I would also love to see "by Length".
    edited September 2008
    dlowell;1157064 said:
    Sorry for the double post but let me get this straight, you would rather have to hit down 200 times then to have 1 or 2 more sort by options because it would add more "clutter"? I just want to make sure I understand your post.
    Again, not trying to bash your idea, I do see the utility in it, but I don't think Harmonix's release date or when you dl'd it fits in the context of a "jukebox" interface. If you were looking at files on a hard drive, sure, but presentationally something about it bothers me.

It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Kind of like it's classifying the music based on varying user-related factors not related to the band, era, or song itself. Something about a song being "newer" and not being related to when the song actually was produced by the artist(s) bothers me. I can't really explain it. I'm just OCD that way. Maybe someone else knows what I mean.:(

I think the "sort by" font in RB1 is hard to read, especially when something is going through them really fast. So that's what I meant by more option being clutter. Maybe it's clearer in RB2.
  • sitbooboositsitbooboosit Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    geo2n2;1157335 said:
    Again, not trying to bash your idea, I do see the utility in it, but I don't think Harmonix's release date or when you dl'd it fits in the context of a "jukebox" interface. If you were looking at files on a hard drive, sure, but presentationally something about it bothers me.

It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Kind of like it's classifying the music based on varying user-related factors not related to the band, era, or song itself. I can't really explain it. I'm just OCD that way. Maybe someone else knows what I mean.:(

I think the "sort by" font in RB1 is hard to read, especially when something is going through them really fast. So that's what I meant by more option being clutter.
    Sorting by song length would fit in with what you're saying... score one for booboo.
    edited September 2008
    geo2n2;1157335 said:

It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Kind of like it's classifying the music based on varying user-related factors not related to the band, era, or song itself. I can't really explain it. I'm just OCD that way. Maybe someone else knows what I mean.:(

I think the "sort by" font in RB1 is hard to read, especially when something is going through them really fast. So that's what I meant by more option being clutter.
    I think I see what your saying now, release date is not something that has to do directly with the song, but more with the game. That makes sense, but I think when comes to game development its all about how easy it is for the gamer to...well...play the game, and I think this "sort by" option would help with that.
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I agree w/ the playability aspect. I think I always had a problem with the idea of "old" music being written off, but maybe I'm projecting my personal issues onto this.:p

If enough fans like the idea and Harmonix agrees, then cool.
    edited September 2008
    geo2n2;1157390 said:
    Yeah, I agree w/ the playability aspect. I think I always had a problem with the idea of "old" music being written off, but maybe I'm projecting my personal issues onto this.:p

If enough fans like the idea and Harmonix agrees, then cool.
    Well I certainly don't "write it off", that's why they need to let the list loop :D
  • snwns26snwns26 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I've pitched this idea before, definitely want it in.
  • RawWS6RawWS6 Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    i always wish this category was available. Not nearly as much as I wish the damn menus just wrapped around so you didn't have to scroll for 2 minutes to get to working man.