Help a fellow XB Rock Bander with a Data Migration kit!

ValerianValerian Unsigned
edited September 2008 in Rock Band
Since I am a DLC addict and I will import all the songs from RB1 into RB2 (and also probably install RB2 on the HD when the next XB update kicks in), I decided to upgrade to a 120 Gig Xbox hard drive.

I managed to get a used one but sadly it did not come with the data migration kit that lets you transfert all your data from your old hard drive to the new one. I can't get one from MS since that option is only available to people who bought an elite (they ask for a serial number). I could buy it on ebay but people are asking ridiculous prices for a stupid cable and disk that is only usefull once, I got ripped off enough with the HD already (Xbox accessories are so overpriced).

I was wondering if any of you fellow RockBanders had that data migration kit handy and if you would let me borrow it for a few days. I will pay for the shipping (paypal) and send it right back to you (I need it for like an hour just to transfert the data). I am in Montreal Canada BTW.

That would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• BenderBender Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    microsoft'll never send you one anyway, i've been waiting since x mas for one so what i did was bought one off ebay, used it then sold it, made my money back.
  • cromartie90000cromartie90000 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Does the 60 gig come with the data transfer kit? I was just about to buy myself one when my mom randomly asked what I wanted or my birthday and I told her I wanted a new hard drive but I only asked for the 60 gig sing the 120 gig is like 200$.

I saw one at Target but it was in a glass case and it was up at the top so I couldn't see what it came with, and not a SINGLE employee was in sight.
  • PlaguefoxPlaguefox Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Inexplicably, Microsoft sent me two when I upgraded to an Elite 360.

Let's talk. Write me an email (plaguefox@gmail.com) and I'll get one out to you.
    edited September 2008
    Plaguefox;1158073 said:
    Inexplicably, Microsoft sent me two when I upgraded to an Elite 360.

Let's talk. Write me an email (plaguefox@gmail.com) and I'll get one out to you.
    Sure it does. View his profile, to the right are the four RB instrument logos, above that it says "send message." Click it and it should let you send him a PM.

It's tricky though, I don't think it notifies you when you've received a PM, I just found a PM in my inbox from 5 months ago that I didn't even know was there until now.
    I think in the User CP you can set it to notify you with a little pop-up box when you receive PMS...
  • ValerianValerian Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    @Plaguefox-- You got mail!

@cromartie90000's-- While I have yet to see a 60 G HD, I would be really surprised if they did not include the tranfert kit with it, just like they do on the 120 G HD. BTW, how much do they sell the stand alone 60G HD?
  • monoxidehektikmonoxidehektik Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    you'll have to re-download them anyway. just do that
  • Captain Zepp 07Captain Zepp 07 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    If you want, i have my cable and disc that is just sitting in my drawer, keep it if you want since i won't need it ever again.

I think he wants to transfer demos, achievements, user IDs and such not just songs
    edited September 2008
    Valerian;1158122 said:
    @Plaguefox-- You got mail!

@cromartie90000's-- While I have yet to see a 60 G HD, I would be really surprised if they did not include the tranfert kit with it, just like they do on the 120 G HD. BTW, how much do they sell the stand alone 60G HD?
    To tell you the truth I can't remember, I remember seeing the 120 gig priced at 200 and thinking "**** I can't afford that!" and seeing the 60 gig and being kinda pissed about the price but willing to buy it. Sorry. Useless. : \
  • PlaguefoxPlaguefox Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the tip cromartie. It just wasn't where I'm used to it being for forums derived from this forum software. :D
  • PluggersPluggers Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    I recently transfered all of my gamer tags and save data from a 20 gig to a used 120 from GS. I got the cable but no disc - MS gave me the run around, but I found a slightly longer, but workable solution: Grab a used 64mg memory card from GS for around 20 bucks. You can transfer your saved data and gamer tags just fine and simply re-download all your dlc on the 120 gig. I know it's a hassle to re-download everything (took me around 3hrs w/ cable {also considering you can only have 6 d/l's going at a given time}), but it's better than paying those prices on Ebay.

Best part: After your finished transferring, since the memory card is used, you have 7 days to return it and get a full refund (I put mine towards RB2 :P).

Hope this helps ya.

Oh, and if you want another buddy w/ a crap load of DLC, hit me up.

GT - Pluggers
  • gmagnusgmagnus Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    monoxidehektik;1158208 said:
    you'll have to re-download them anyway. just do that
    Why? License transfer? License is tied to the gamertag and system, not hard drive.
  • neuro310neuro310 Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Newbie forum member here looking to borrow a migration kit as well. Like the OP, I will gladly pay for your time and for shipping both ways. PM me if you can help...thanks in advance!
  • eldoctorgeldoctorg Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    for anyone that doesnt know, you have to be aware that purchased software is tied into your console and your HD! Using the transfer kit transfers the softare liscence along with it so you will be able to have access to all your songs when your xbox isnt connected to the internet! A work around to this is to redownload your stuff on the new HD and go to xbox.com to aquire a new DMR software liscence so you could have access to your content offline, i hope this was helpful
  • MaGna720MaGna720 Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    eldoctorg;1191553 said:
    for anyone that doesnt know, you have to be aware that purchased software is tied into your console and your HD! Using the transfer kit transfers the softare liscence along with it so you will be able to have access to all your songs when your xbox isnt connected to the internet! A work around to this is to redownload your stuff on the new HD and go to xbox.com to aquire a new DMR software liscence so you could have access to your content offline, i hope this was helpful
    According to the xbox.com FAQ on the subject:
    "I've just upgraded to a larger hard drive and am re-downloading all of my content. Do I need to transfer the content licenses?

No. The content licenses are associated with the console, not the hard drive."

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/faq.htm

Apparantly you won't need the license transfer if you are using the same console, but just switching HD's, since the licenses stay on the console.