Classic Rock Music Fans Unite!!!

360lover360lover Unsigned
edited September 2008 in History of Rock
OK. Rush is a kick-a** band, but when I say this is Rush people are like who? I even know people who have never heard of Stairway to heaven/ Led Zeppelin. and if I mention the Who/ The Guess Who people not only get them confused but have no Idea about them either. I am 15 but love classic rock and no one my age (except 1 or 2 people) have any idea what I am talking about. I mean not hearing of Led Zeppelin?!?!?!?

Comments

• ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    w00t!! amen!! I love it too and im 13!! I even have conversataions with my teachers about classic rock. Its kinda fun. I have lots of friends who love it to who i hang out with. Some classic rock would be alwys be nice, but we do have lots of it so far. What we need is not to expand on any bands already in the game but get new ones
    I mean, weres the 60s stuff, the Pink Floyd, the Led Zepp, the Van Halen, the Eagles, the Skyntrd, the Allmans, the Clapton. Theres so much were missing.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited September 2008
    It's inevitable, really, especially for an average person your age. Back in 19coughHACKcough when I was 15, somebody could have mentioned Link Wray or Les Paul (hint: early guitar legends), and I would have said, "Huh? Who dey? Where's my U2 and REM??" Fortunately, most people develop a better appreciation of the older stuff as they get, well, older.

Good for you for bucking the trend and learning you can appreciate good music regardless of its age.
  • soylee2soylee2 Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    I'm in!!

My fav bands are Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but I like basically all classic rock. Velvet Underground anyone? Bob Dylan love?
  • soylee2soylee2 Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, I dont like Link Wray because he pioneered the thing that is the most annoying thing about todays music - Power Chords!
    edited September 2008
    Diss the power chord all you want, but it has fueled some bona fide rock classics.

Without the power chord, we wouldn't have "Iron Man" or "Smoke on the Water" or a good chunk of the punk catalog.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    and many Who songs, You Really Got Me.......... the list goes on....
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    soylee2;1161511 said:
    Oh yeah, I dont like Link Wray because he pioneered the thing that is the most annoying thing about todays music - Power Chords!
    i have literally never heard anyone say anything bad about link wray. :eek:
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited September 2008
    360lover;1161316 said:
    OK. Rush is a kick-a** band, but when I say this is Rush people are like who? I even know people who have never heard of Stairway to heaven/ Led Zeppelin. and if I mention the Who/ The Guess Who people not only get them confused but have no Idea about them either. I am 15 but love classic rock and no one my age (except 1 or 2 people) have any idea what I am talking about. I mean not hearing of Led Zeppelin?!?!?!?
    I know that feeling. About half of my class knows the classics of classic rock, but I'm faced with confused expressions when I utter names the likes of UFO, King Crimson, Jethro Tull or Frank Zappa. It's worse when I mention anything about metal, where few people can name even Iron Maiden or Metallica.

Luckily, I have this forum to turn to to find people with eclectic tastes, many much more eclectic than my own. That's one of the reasons I started the Rock Band Forum Music Blog (that's stickied at the top of the page).
  • spoonytoothspoonytooth Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Classic Rock is my favorite genre of music. I like others but it is by far my favorite, which is not true for most people at my school. I have yet to meet anyone at my school who has heard of Deep Purple.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2008
    I know how you feel. I've had people in my classes name both The Who and The Police as the worst muscial group ever without knowing any songs by them. I'm 15 too, and it baffles me when people don't know a Who song.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited September 2008
    I'll unite but stop calling the music classic rock dang it! :D
    edited September 2008
    clashcityrocker10;1162589 said:
    I know how you feel. I've had people in my classes name both The Who and The Police as the worst muscial group ever without knowing any songs by them. I'm 15 too, and it baffles me when people don't know a Who song.
    dear youth of america,
    please stop breathing.

take care,
    afterstasis
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1162639 said:
    dear youth of america,
    please stop breathing.

take care,
    afterstasis
    I don't want to stop breathing. :(
    edited September 2008
    JukeBoxHero;1162662 said:
    I don't want to stop breathing. :(
    quick, grow older or jump the border! :)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1162670 said:
    Will growing taller work?

*attaches arms to my Cat and legs to my dog... pull!
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1162670 said:
    *Runs to Canada!

Sweet I always wanted to live here, now to get a home...

Or

Maybe I could stay since I know my 70s bands fairly well. I also enjoy the many genres that this "classic rock" genre takes up. :)
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1162639 said:
    dear youth of america,
    please stop breathing.

take care,
    afterstasis
    But that's practically all I do :(
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited September 2008
    Hungryfreak;1162783 said:
    But that's practically all I do :(
    Hahaha. :D

It absolutely sucks because my only good friend who knows a lot about music has no classes with me at school and we have different lunch periods.
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    First off, for those who thought otherwise, classic rock is not a genre. More like...bands who were all popular around the same period of time where rock/hard rock was popular. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Second, yes, the 60's and 70's were and are awesome. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors, The Jimi Hendriz EXPERIENCE!!!, Deep Purple, Boston, The Who, The Gratefull (probably spelled that wrong, I'm tired) Dead, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Queen, David Bowie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Aerosmith, etc.

Kids nowadays have no musical education and it honestly depresses me a little, seeing these kids just buy whatever rap/hip-hop/pop that everyone else is getting, and if that's not bad enough, they don't even know anything about it. They're just listeners. THEY DON'T EVEN BUY RECORDS ANYMORE!!!!!
    edited September 2008
    CheezerRox;1162824 said:
    First off, for those who thought otherwise, classic rock is not a genre. More like...bands who were all popular around the same period of time where rock/hard rock was popular. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Second, yes, the 60's and 70's were and are awesome. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors, The Jimi Hendriz EXPERIENCE!!!, Deep Purple, Boston, The Who, The Gratefull (probably spelled that wrong, I'm tired) Dead, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Queen, David Bowie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Aerosmith, etc.
    I agree with all of that besides the spelling of the Grateful Dead.
    edited September 2008
    dear youth of america,

you can start breathing again.

instead, we're putting a tax on oxygen for morons who can't show proper respect for the police and the who.

take care,
    afterstasis
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    I agree with you man people my age to like new rock better than the great classics and in my opinion new rock sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I know people who honestly can say that have not heard of Pink Floyd I mean they are one of the greatest bands of all time

I have a question is Nirvana considered classic rock?????
    edited September 2008
    Another question how many classic rock lovers are teens I saw a couple on this thread I mean I love classic rock and I'm only 15 also, no one at my school can say they have heard of YES, or Cream even the classic rock lovers I know
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited September 2008
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited September 2008
    I'm a huge classic rock fan and I'm only 14. I didn't appreciate classic rock when I was younger but now it's really grown on me. Here is my top 5 favorite classic rock bands of all time.
    1. Led Zeppelin (I do not like anything that was made after Physical Graffiti though)
    2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    3. The Who
    4. AC/DC
    5. Pink Floyd

Here are some honorable mentions: Boston, Journey, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, and Creedence Clearwater Revival.
    edited September 2008
    Good List

Heres Mine:
    1. Led Zeppelin (all but Coda)
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Rush
    4. The Who
    5. Yes
    6. AC/DC
    7. The Doors
    8. Eric Clapton
    9. Steely Dan
    10. Styx

Honorable Mentions: Santana, Steve Miller Band, Queen, The Police, REM, Allman Brothers, CCR, and Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • Highlandlassie1Highlandlassie1 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Classic rock style fits best in this game, as it is more fun to play, with complex solos, and more fretwork than strumming.
    Rapid repeated strumming with not many note changes is boring, and tiresome.

This is prevelant in most modern music, and while may be popular to listen to these days by the younger folks, it is not as much fun to play in Rockband as Classic Rock.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1162860 said:
    dear youth of america,

you can start breathing again.

instead, we're putting a tax on oxygen for morons who can't show proper respect for the police and the who.

take care,
    afterstasis
    Thanks, I didn't want to cause the death of the youth of america, but the tax is fine by me.
    I agree though that "classic rock" isn't really a genre, because classic rock radio stations do play a lot of bands with very little or nothing in common with one another (other than being rock acts).

To the person who asked if Nirvana is classic rock, well, they are played on classic rock stations.
    edited September 2008
    clashcityrocker10;1163691 said:

To the person who asked if Nirvana is classic rock, well, they are played on classic rock stations.
    yeah, i guess it's time for a lot of us to admit that nirvana (along with many more 90's bands) are pretty much officially classic rock.

i had trouble enough when the local classic rock station started playing GNR...
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1163702 said:
    yeah, i guess it's time for a lot of us to admit that nirvana (along with many more 90's bands) are pretty much officially classic rock.

i had trouble enough when the local classic rock station started playing GNR...
    It depends on how you define "classic rock." That's a bit of an obvious statement, but I'll explain what I mean.

Classic rock radio stations, and even the phrase "classic rock" itself, first appeared in the early '90s, as something of a response to the growing popularity of "alternative" music. In fact, you can pretty much mark the release of Nirvana's Nevermind and "Smells like Teen Spirit" as the point when rock split in two. Almost every radio station that had previously called itself a "rock" station became dedicated either to alternative/"new rock" or "classic rock." The boundary between the two was pretty thick, too. I remember when Atlanta first acquired both a classic rock station and an alternative station, Z93 and 99X respectively. It was a safe bet you wouldn't hear any song make both playlists. I once determined Z93 wasn't playing any artist that became famous after 1986 (the Georgia Satellites and Bruce Hornsby were about as recent as they got), and as far as 99X was concerned, music didn't exist until Nirvana came along.

Ironically, it was the classic rock artists and bands that suffered the most from this split. At the time, stations like Z93 didn't want to play anything new, not even new releases from classic rock artists ("If it's new, it's crap!") , and stations like 99X didn't want to touch any artist from the previous generation ("If it's old, it's crap!").

Fortunately this line in the sand didn't last forever. Alternative stations soon discovered "retro" could be cool, and at least a few classic rock stations soon discovered they were missing out on some great music from classic rock artists (Tom Petty, the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton and many others all released gems in the '90s). Z93 started advertising they offered "the best new rock from classic rock artists," and 99X started doing things like '80s music weekends. Now we have options like the "Jack FM" radio stations that happily mix up music from all eras of rock.

Still, the legacy of that initial split remains, even 15 years or so later. Many people still define classic rock as anything that came out before the mid-'80s, by artists initially popular in the '60s or '70s. A handful of '80s artists make the cut, but it will depend on who you talk to. '90s or beyond, fugedaboutit.