Forums: Server Down time and data migration: please read!

HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
edited January 2008 in Announcements
Rockers:

We will be taking down the Rock Band servers soon in order to prep for the awesome community re-launch next week. This will probably happen in a few days, but we'll get you the exact time as soon as we know. If you bookmark the forum index it will link you to a placeholder, so if you get that in a few days this is why!

The message boards will be migrated, however, your individual profile info, avatars, pictures, and blogs will not! If there is anything there you wish to keep, I recommend backing it up as soon as possible. Hang tight for now! The new community stuff looks really great, and I’m looking forward to all of you getting a chance to see it next week! When you log in to the new site you’ll still have your username and password and a placeholder profile to accessorize as needed.

In the meantime, check out Phase @ phasegame.com, clean your bathroom, check out the new Rock Band store, paint a wagon, or whatever else you can or want to do to prepare for endless rocking next week!

-The Web Team

Comments

• ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    our individual profile info, avatars, pictures, and blogs will not be transfered?!

I guess I'll go about backing up my profile at this point, so I can at least save myself the time in re-writing it all.

Nothing else will be lost will they? Usernames, everyones posts?

I'm excited to see how the new forums turn out, if they are as good as the main site, I wont be disappointed!
  • masterx1918masterx1918 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    so when is this downtime going to be taking place? Over the weekend? I can't wait to see what sort of new community stuff we're gonna have. Will band pages and stuff be available on tuesday or is that further down the road?
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Niceeeeeeee. Can't wait to fiddle around with the new site.
  • edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;115898 said:

The message boards will be migrated, however, your individual profile info, avatars, pictures, and blogs will not!

NOOOOOOOooooOOOO!!!! Ruination!
  • XanthousXanthous Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;115898 said:
    In the meantime, paint a wagon
    I'm gonna use oil-based paint, 'cause the wood is pine.
  • dieseldiesel Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    kinda sad to see it go, but the new one will rock ;)
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited November 2007
    masterx1918;115962 said:
    so when is this downtime going to be taking place?
    It will probably take place right after the weekend. We're still working out the exact time (we want to make it as seamless as possible), so we'll let you know probably in the next day or so.
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Does this come with cookies and milk?
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;116018 said:
    It will probably take place right after the weekend. We're still working out the exact time (we want to make it as seamless as possible), so we'll let you know probably in the next day or so.
    Thats probably the best time to do it, most people will be starting to go on thanksgiving break and everyone will just be getting Rock Band, no one is going to want to be online, they'll all want to be rocking out! Man 5 more days, time is moving too slow! I can't wait to see how the forums and the community turns out
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    wait a sec... HMXJohnlok.... John lok.........

Is that John Lock? As in mr. bad ass hunter John Lock from Lost?

Is that a reference there or do you just have a cool name?
    edited November 2007
    mobhit101;116156 said:

/weep.

I choose the "B" option.
  • MartyMcFlyMartyMcFly Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    After a few minutes from now I'll probably not return to the forums until the new community site is up. (I'm leaving work in 15mins, then won't be back)

I consider showing the career setlists and such to be *spoilers* so I have not looked at any of those threads. There's been many people getting the game early now, and I don't want to know everything by the time I turn on my Xbox on Tuesday. I'll keep the surprises fresh for myself to discover :)

I'll see some of you on XBL, and to all others, enjoy your Rock Band!! Wooooooo!
  • AVC808AVC808 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    down time?!? what am i supposed to do at work?! :) lookin forward to the new and improved site...
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited November 2007
    I guess I'm glad that I didn't write any blogs then. Seems like backing up the blog entries really wouldn't be that difficult to do for the web guys. There were a ton of great and informative blogs about lag and BWT from the developers that are just going to disappear now? That doesn't sound very cool. There's gotta be some way to quickly back them all up before everything is just erased forever. Seems like such a waste to have them disappear. The profile, pictures, and avatars are mostly extraneous, but all of those blogs will be sorely missed.
    edited November 2007
    mobhit101;116156 said:

Ah, shame on you, it is definitely NOT a lost reference!

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=80843&postcount=5
  • SmokaColaSmokaCola Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    Guess I better log out and hope to god the "forgotten" password thing works =\ Or I'll have to make a new account. Really looking forward to what you guys do with it though :D

Nevermind: Problem solved :D
    edited November 2007
    Magnet;116177 said:
    I guess I'm glad that I didn't write any blogs then. Seems like backing up the blog entries really wouldn't be that difficult to do for the web guys. There were a ton of great and informative blogs about lag and BWT from the developers that are just going to disappear now? That doesn't sound very cool. There's gotta be some way to quickly back them all up before everything is just erased forever. Seems like such a waste to have them disappear. The profile, pictures, and avatars are mostly extraneous, but all of those blogs will be sorely missed.
    I have actually been going through the dev blogs to back them up. I'm not sure in what form they'll be reposted but hopefully we can get some of the juicy ones back up after we relaunch.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    sonicbrew;116060 said:
    Does this come with cookies and milk?
    For taking away my blog which is finally taking shape it'd better.

I expect the finest. ONLY butter toffe cookies and vitamin D milk will suffice.
  • Nilsen581Nilsen581 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    will there be cake upon relaunch?
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;116160 said:
    /weep.

I choose the "B" option.
    I wish it was John Locke, my idol and hero. IMPOSTER *storms out crying*
  • ScissorKickScissorKick Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    Xanthous;116000 said:
    I'm gonna use oil-based paint, 'cause the wood is pine.
    Ponderosa Pine! Oooooo

(Sorry warming up my chops)
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    ThePaska;116181 said:
    Ah, shame on you, it is definitely NOT a lost reference!

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=80843&postcount=5
    lol, whoops! My apologies mr. johnlok!
  • edited November 2007
    While you are upgrading, can you prod the web team into increasing our PM inbox size, or adding some new emoticons. :D
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    It's ok, I've got Mario Galaxy to tie me over this weekend until Tuesday comes!

Good luck with the upgrade! Hope everything goes smoothly!
  • MaherjMaherj Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    See you all on the new boards!
  • PunkJrPunkJr Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    I'd just like to post a huge THANK YOU to HMXJohnlok for helping me out with my username problem.

I was TK-757, now I'm back to my normal old PunkJr, and I REALLY appreciate all the time he spent & PM's he had to put up with to get me up & running.

Thanks again man!
  • edited November 2007
    Guess I should back up Jay Sherman and Sousaphone Hero.
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    It'll be like christmas tomorrow! wake up, grab some coffee, sit down at the PC, realize you forgot to pour the coffee into the mug, pour coffee, return to PC, and prepare to open the big present; the new site!
  • edited November 2007
    Smidget;124896 said:
    It'll be like christmas tomorrow! wake up, grab some coffee, sit down at the PC, realize you forgot to pour the coffee into the mug, pour coffee, return to PC, and prepare to open the big present; the new site!
    Who is going to have time to look at the new site when there are setlists to be played and songs to be rocked ?!
  • tbradshawtbradshaw Moderator
    edited November 2007
    Ah man, when there was just a few moments of down time a minute ago, I thought for sure the new site was going to be ready to roll.

Doh!
This discussion has been closed.