Feedback: Rock band Newsletter

only1yzermanonly1yzerman Unsigned
edited September 2008 in Rock Band
I just got issue 2 of the RB newsletter, and I have to say I am quite disappointed. 1st, there is no "new" news contained in the letter. It announces the PAX event, and the fact that the 3 artists performing at PAX will have DLC. Hate to say it, but you are about a week late on that.

If you are going to have a weekly newsletter:
A.) Announce upcoming DLC, not something we already know (i.e. instead of PAX - announce All That Remains).
B.) Give it some content. I understand the idea is too keep it short and focused, but the idea of a newsletter is "to keep fans of Harmonix video game titles in the loop about exciting community announcements" but it would be nice if those announcements were actually spelled out in the newsletter.
C.) Give us something new and EXCLUSIVE in the newsletter. We have gotten used to visiting the forums every Friday for next weeks DLC announcement, give us a reason to NOT unsubscribe. Exclusive dev interviews, exclusive DLC announcements (For weeks with 2 pack DLC releases - announce one on the forums, and both in the newsletter.) links to exclusive RB content and discounts, etc.

Otherwise I may just have to unsubscribe.

Comments

  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2008
    The newsletter is designed to inform people who don't surf the Rock Band forums 24/7 like some us here.
  • only1yzermanonly1yzerman Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Flawless;1176946 said:
    The newsletter is designed to inform people who don't surf the Rock Band forums 24/7 like some us here.
    You mean like people with 41 posts on these forums? (42 now, but you get my drift) :rolleyes:
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    Flawless;1176946 said:
    The newsletter is designed to inform people who don't surf the Rock Band forums 24/7 like some us here.
    Another first post of Sarcasm. aren't you just terrific. I wonder why it is that you always feel the need to post first and make fun of the OP. He is providing useful information to people who may not get that newsletter.
    Some people might not get that email until the evening, ever think of that?
  • SarcastoSarcasto Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Although I agree with Flawless, I also agree with the OP that the newsletter was pretty useless today, had it have linked to some new interviews, maybe to the RB2 site for new information or anything that would have been nice.
  • RecursiveRecursive Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Flawless;1176946 said:
    The newsletter is designed to inform people who don't surf the Rock Band forums 24/7 like some us here.
    Nail on the head.


    Granted, I did get a little excited to see it was in my inbox, and a little less after realizing I already knew everything in it. The flikr album was neat; hadn't seen that.
  • VorralVorral Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Hey, I surf the forums all the time and my count is only double digits, and I've been here since December. It's just that most people say things more succinctly (and a tinge harsher on the criticism) than I would, so I keep my fingers silent.

    Subject at hand, though. While I agree with only1yzerman's original post about not feeling special in regards to the newsletter, I also have to accede to Flawless' point. I lurk a lot, but my wife does not, therefore she would benefit from the newsletter.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2008
    metalkorn;1176973 said:
    Another first post of Sarcasm. aren't you just terrific. I wonder why it is that you always feel the need to post first and make fun of the OP. He is providing useful information to people who may not get that newsletter.
    Some people might not get that email until the evening, ever think of that?
    What the hell was sarcastic about my post here? It was factual and in fact the 'insult' part was directed more at people like myself.

    Stop joining the hate band wagon and string some opinions together for yourself.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    Flawless;1177023 said:
    What the hell was sarcastic about my post here? It was factual and in fact the 'insult' part was directed more at people like myself.

    Stop joining the hate band wagon and string some opinions together for yourself.
    OK, ending the hate to avoid another thread being locked here.
    Heaven forbid i actually posted an opinion that was my own. Other people are hating on you.... no idea why that would be then, i must just be wrong.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2008
    metalkorn;1177052 said:
    OK, ending the hate to avoid another thread being locked here.
    Heaven forbid i actually posted an opinion that was my own. Other people are hating on you.... no idea why that would be then, i must just be wrong.
    Like I said before, the popularity of the Fake Steven Tyler joke proves how easy bandwagons are formed here on these boards. You can get sucked in an not even realize it.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2008
    I didn't see anything sarcastic about Flawless' post. In fact, he was 100% correct.

    The newsletter is for people who aren't on here all day long like a bunch of us are.

    So sure, if you're on the forums all day like us addicts, you already know that stuff. But most people aren't, so the newsletter was new to them :)
  • only1yzermanonly1yzerman Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Oh god stfu both of you.

    If you have nothing to add to the FEEDBACK thread to Harmonix then get the hell out of my post. You want to argue, make your own post.

    Back on topic - this is feedback for what I feel the newsletter needs. Announcing DLC 4 days after it has been released helps no one. Not even the people who NEVER visit the forums. By Tuesday afternoon I have 10 messages from my friends telling me to check for the DLC.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2008
    Okay;...

    The newsletter doesn't need to change. Its purpose is to inform those who don't use the boards as often as a lot of us of the best news and information provided on these boards. Its goal is to inform those people.

    Personally, I do not think they would benefit from announcing anything new through the newsletter. The point would be made moot the second someone posts it here, we wouldn't see it in our mail boxes, we'd see it on these boards.

    Clearly the target audience is being correctly identified and going forward they shouldn't alter their objective to appease us forum junkies.


    Better?
  • steelcurtain187steelcurtain187 Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    I am glad that they even do a newsletter at least ( I still haven't even got any besides the Rush one though) :(
  • SaoshenSaoshen Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Anyone who signs up for the newsletter, very likely already lurks or posts on the forum/website.

    Issue #2 was a disappointment for me, and I only come here a couple times a week at most.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    My newsletter didnt even come this time.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited September 2008
    none of the links in the newsletter worked for me... o.O
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited September 2008
    I'm not a fan of the evil kidnapper magazine clipping style mail, but otherwise no complaints.
  • only1yzermanonly1yzerman Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Flawless;1177151 said:
    Okay;...

    The newsletter doesn't need to change. Its purpose is to inform those who don't use the boards as often as a lot of us of the best news and information provided on these boards. Its goal is to inform those people.

    Personally, I do not think they would benefit from announcing anything new through the newsletter. The point would be made moot the second someone posts it here, we wouldn't see it in our mail boxes, we'd see it on these boards.

    Clearly the target audience is being correctly identified and going forward they shouldn't alter their objective to appease us forum junkies.


    Better?
    Ok I can understand that. But if it is a weekly announcement to keep us (those who don't browse these forums daily) informed about UPCOMING DLC, that is sent out every Friday, then what is the point of announcing DLC after it has been released?
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2008
    only1yzerman;1177220 said:
    Ok I can understand that. But if it is a weekly announcement to keep us (those who don't browse these forums daily) informed about UPCOMING DLC, that is sent out every Friday, then what is the point of announcing DLC after it has been released?
    A lot of people don't check the store week-to-week this is a subtle reminder to check it out. You need to remember that there are hundreds of thousands of people who play this game who barely use the store or website. The goal is to interact with that portion of the community.
Sign In or Register to comment.