Blue Cheer

CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
edited March 2011 in History of Rock
Who here has heard of and/or liked Blue Cheer? I just got two of their records today (they're a mix of almost all my favorite genres) and I'm blown away. Any other fans here?

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited September 2008
    Blue Cheer is awesome. They were the first ever metal band.
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1204023 said:
    Blue Cheer is awesome. They were the first ever metal band.
    Definately. Heavy metal, psychedelic rock blues-rock, acid rock, et cetera. **** YEAH!!!!!
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited September 2008
    I have Summertime Blues and Babylon on my ipod, pretty good songs.
    edited September 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;1204084 said:
    I have Summertime Blues and Babylon on my ipod, pretty good songs.
    Those are great songs, but you need to get an entire record, man!
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    "vincebus eruptum" is one of my favorite albums of the 60's.
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1204197 said:
    Definately, man. I got Vincebus Eruptum and Outsideinside. I'm I ****ing love.

And, ya know...I found Blue Cheer by accident, and now thy're one of my favorites. XD
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited September 2008
    CheezerRox;1204091 said:
    Those are great songs, but you need to get an entire record, man!
    I can has itunes giftcard? :(
    edited September 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;1204279 said:
    I can has itunes giftcard? :(
    Haha, I would, I just don't have one.

Wait, how do you play your music? If through a portable player, than what type?
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Downloading Vincebus Eruptum and Outsideinside now.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Well --

1. I saw them a whole bunch of times (once with Hendrix)

and

2. I played in a band in high school that covered their tunes

Vincebus eruptus and OutsideInside are definitely the ones to get.

Nice discovery, Cheez.
  • chrisajoneschrisajones Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    CheezerRox;1203996 said:
    Who here has heard of and/or liked Blue Cheer? I just got two of their records today (they're a mix of almost all my favorite genres) and I'm blown away. Any other fans here?

Oh Yeah, I've definitely heard of them. Paul Whaley (BLUE CHEER drummer) and I were good friends. I saw them perform at concerts in San Francisco & L.A. in 1968. The L.A. concert was in the Grand Ballroom of the Ambassador Hotel where a few months later Robert Kennedy was shot and killed. Incredible live performance. They were the opening act. This is crazy, but I can't remember whether Big Brother & the Holding Company (Janis Joplin) were on the same bill or Hendrix. I saw them both at that venue but am unsure if Blue Cheer opened for which show. I was VERY high (hey, it was '68 ) on acid and yes, the name came from Augustus Stanley Owsley's BLUE CHEER Acid. Janis Joplin was sooo drunk at the Ambassador Hotel show. Literally falling down with a bottle of Southern Comfort spilling all over herself. Saw Big Brother before that show at a free concert in a public park in Monterey Park, Calif (that's in the San Gabriel Valley). I was 18 in '68, born & raised in Hollywood, went to Hollywood High. Hung out at the Whiskey, Gazzari's, Pandoras Box, Sea Witch (all Clubs on Sunset) The Doors, Byrds, Love, Mamas & Papas, Cream. Too many to list. In Haight Ashbury Summer of '67, Filmore, Avalon, Straight Haight Theater. The Dead, Quicksilver, Coutry Joe, buyin acid from Owsley and speed from the Hells Angels, Totally out of control. Sex, drugs and Rock&Roll. I should not be alive, ha! Didn''t see Paul again after that show until 1970 when we ran into each other in a California Prison Yard. Paul was there when I left in '71. Yeah, I've heard of BLUE CHEER. AMF! Chris Jones
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited February 2011
    ^ Ladies and gentlemen, we've got a badass on our hands
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Please can we get some Blue Cheer DLC? They'd be perfect for RBN at least? This is one of my favorite rock bands out of the '60s.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2011
    chrisajones;4306662 said:
    Oh Yeah, I've definitely heard of them. Paul Whaley (BLUE CHEER drummer) and I were good friends. I saw them perform at concerts in San Francisco & L.A. in 1968. The L.A. concert was in the Grand Ballroom of the Ambassador Hotel where a few months later Robert Kennedy was shot and killed. Incredible live performance. They were the opening act. This is crazy, but I can't remember whether Big Brother & the Holding Company (Janis Joplin) were on the same bill or Hendrix. I saw them both at that venue but am unsure if Blue Cheer opened for which show. I was VERY high (hey, it was '68 ) on acid and yes, the name came from Augustus Stanley Owsley's BLUE CHEER Acid. Janis Joplin was sooo drunk at the Ambassador Hotel show. Literally falling down with a bottle of Southern Comfort spilling all over herself. Saw Big Brother before that show at a free concert in a public park in Monterey Park, Calif (that's in the San Gabriel Valley). I was 18 in '68, born & raised in Hollywood, went to Hollywood High. Hung out at the Whiskey, Gazzari's, Pandoras Box, Sea Witch (all Clubs on Sunset) The Doors, Byrds, Love, Mamas & Papas, Cream. Too many to list. In Haight Ashbury Summer of '67, Filmore, Avalon, Straight Haight Theater. The Dead, Quicksilver, Coutry Joe, buyin acid from Owsley and speed from the Hells Angels, Totally out of control. Sex, drugs and Rock&Roll. I should not be alive, ha! Didn''t see Paul again after that show until 1970 when we ran into each other in a California Prison Yard. Paul was there when I left in '71. Yeah, I've heard of BLUE CHEER. AMF! Chris Jones

WTF.

I think I'm gonna touch myself.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Didn't see Paul again after that show until 1970 when we ran into each other in a California Prison Yard.
    Well, sir. That's some cred you've got there.

The Power of your Shao Lin Sword humbles the fury of my Wu Tang Style.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited March 2011

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    seriousbusson;4321560 said:
    Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Cue YOU ARE THE WIND BENEATH MYYYY WIIIIIINGS...
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited March 2011
    afterstasis;1204197 said:

Indeed, amazing album to say the least.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Blue Cheer is really awesome. I hope to see them in RB some day.
  • I_Use_ShamwowsI_Use_Shamwows Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    Heard of them from Last FM, The first two albums are simply incredible, I enjoy their cover of Satisfaction too,