How would you combine Load and Reload?

instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
Yes, another Metallica thread. I apologize... but this one isn't about Death Magnetic!

I've heard many say that Load and Reload would have benefited by being combined. Do you agree with this? If so, how would you put them together?

I'm a bit torn on it. If you think they should be combined, post your lists. There are some obvious ones that should be left in there, but there are some cult favorites as well.

Comments

• My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I personally couldn't do it. I don't love EVERY single song off of both albums, but I thoroughly enjoy probably 80% of the songs from each album and couldn't choose, and if I were to include them all it would exceed the limits of a standard CD.

I'm sure I could clip out a couple good tracks to leave one exceptionally good CD, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing so if it meant cutting out "Hero of the Day" or "Ain't My Bitch" =p I find both Load and ReLoad to be very good albums both in their own right.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Well.....

Hero Of The Day
    Bleeding Me
    Until It Sleeps
    Fuel
    The Memory Remains
    The Unforgiven II
    Prince Charming
    Fixxer

Yeah it could've been a good overall album with these. It would've been a little short of a typical Metallica album, but pretty sweet.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Shredder87;1243241 said:
    Well.....

Hero Of The Day
    Bleeding Me
    Until It Sleeps
    Fuel
    The Memory Remains
    The Unforgiven II
    Prince Charming
    Fixxer

Yeah it could've been a good overall album with these. It would've been a little short of a typical Metallica album, but pretty sweet.
    What about The Outlaw Torn? =p That was a pretty bad-ass song all around.
  • rgdraftingrgdrafting Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I voted yes....although I guess 'great' is very subjective.

I think that a combination of the two albums would definitely be better than each one of them seperately.

BTW, I like Shredder's list....except Prince Charming isn't my favorite. Although, I can't come with anything better to replace it!
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I would like to combine them into one molten heap of plastic that I could conveniently launch into space.

There are a few okay songs across both discs, but nothing I ever need to hear again.

On second thought, I'd like to keep Hero Of The Day because it makes me laugh everytime I hear it - mainly because the main riff makes me picture ginormous teddy bears marching in a parade.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited September 2008
    culturedog;1245531 said:
    I would like to combine them into one molten heap of plastic that I could conveniently launch into space.

There are a few okay songs across both discs, but nothing I ever need to hear again.
    Agreed. The only song I can listen to off of those albums is Fuel.
    edited September 2008
    That song does come close to kicking ass, but the lyrics "Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire" come across so damned goofy that they pretty much ruin the song for me if I don't ignore them.
    edited September 2008
    culturedog;1245731 said:
    That song does come close to kicking ass, but the lyrics "Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire" come across so damned goofy that they pretty much ruin the song for me if I don't ignore them.
    I agree for the most part. I get what he wanted, the kind of "driving song" you play in your muscle car as you storm down the highway at 80 mph. Something like "Highway Star" or similar. But it just came off cheesy.
    I think if the vocals were deeper and a little "fierier"/harsher though, it might have worked slightly better, but still not fantastic.
  • cdesteycdestey Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I've been listening to Load all weekend, since i have no interest in the new one.

If you don't like this album because it isn't old school Matallica, I can't do nothin for ya. But the fact is, it's a really solid hard rock album. It may not be the Metallica you want to hear, but it's still really good.

I could never get into Reload, I'll probably try that next but I don't have high hopes.
  • duckbutt86duckbutt86 Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Well Load and Reload were written during the same period. Reload was just stuff they wrote for Load but didn't think was good enough (yet they released it anyway a year later). Not surprising this mediocre effort from the band resulted in two terrible albums. Other than Until It Sleeps and Devil's Dance, can't say I like anything from these albums, and the inclusion of the songs from Load/Reload really hurt the S&M set list.
  • TheMeatballTheMeatball Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Both have their moments, and both are solid albums in their own right, but Load is definitely the better album. If I could combine them, I'd try this:

Fixxxer 8:15
    Devil's Dance 5:19
    Until It Sleeps 4:30
    Mama Said 5:19
    The House That Jack Built 6:39
    Bleeding Me 8:18
    Low Man's Lyric 7:37
    The Outlaw Torn 9:49

Total Running time: About 56 mins

I'd buy that. The other songs aren't all terrible, but would likely work better as b-sides or live treats than full-fledged album tracks.

As a side note, I'm not sure who accused Metallica of shying away from long songs, because these albums are full of them.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited September 2008
    I wish they would just have been released as the double LP as they were intended. If I were to combine them, it'd be a really big CD.

"Ain't My Bitch"
    "Until It Sleeps"
    "King Nothing"
    "Bleeding Me"
    "Wasting My Hate"
    "The Outlaw Torn"
    "Fuel"
    "Devil's Dance"
    "The Unforgiven II"
    "Carpe Diem Baby"
    "Low Man's Lyric"
    "Attitude"
    "Fixxxer"
    Bonus track: "Mine Eyes" (Remastered)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1245545 said:
    Agreed. The only song I can listen to off of those albums is Fuel.
    I really like "Until it Sleeps".
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited September 2008
    I would personally lose both of them, but some of these compilations are starting to change my mind.
  • MarcliousMarclious Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    1. King Nothing
    2. The House Jack Built
    3. Wasting my Hate
    4. The Outlaw Torn
    5. Fuel
    6. Hero of the Day
    7. Ain't my Bitch
    8. Bleeding Me
    9. Devil's Dance
    10. Until It Sleeps
    11. Low Man's Lyrics
    12. Fixxxer

Running time would be around 75 minutes. That is the best single album I could come up with.
  • CommanderDuffCommanderDuff Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    cdestey;1246566 said:
    I've been listening to Load all weekend, since i have no interest in the new one.

If you don't like this album because it isn't old school Matallica, I can't do nothin for ya. But the fact is, it's a really solid hard rock album. It may not be the Metallica you want to hear, but it's still really good.

I could never get into Reload, I'll probably try that next but I don't have high hopes.
    Exactly this. People **** on Load because it was a big change, and I have heard a lot of people use that now-cliche line of "It's good if you pretend Metallica didn't record it." Not everyone likes the same things in their 30s and 40s that they did in their teens and 20s. Metallica changed. They didn't stop writing bad music, they just stopped writing the same music over and over again. (Good or bad albums, RTL through AJFA was the same album repackaged with different titles.)

With maybe three songs at the most, a lot of Reload was just what you read in this topic already: the crap that wasn't good enough to be included on Load.

I think Metallica work best as a bluegrass band, so feel free to ignore me.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Load was the most appropriate title they could make for this album.
  • MarcliousMarclious Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Metallica changed their style rather quickly when they first started playing. Kill'em All was pure Thrash... and basically they invented the genre of music with this album. For me personally Kill'em All was there best piece of work.Ride the Lightningwas equivalent to their apex. It was Their masterpiece. A dive into maturity. I would have loved for Metallica to have made a few more full on thrash albums before they matured. They matured before they should have. Anyone who says MoP was their masterpiece clearly didnt listen to RtL enough.
  • edited October 2008
    I am a huge Metallica fan but personally other than fuel and the memory remains which are in the end are mediocre songs, the 2 albums as well as St. Anger can go burn in the fiery pits of bad albums.

Also Death Magnetic isnt that good, the first 4 albums were the best so along with the Peace Sells....But Who's Buying and Screaming for Vengeance I would like to the whole Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning albums because no one can keep up with Dave Mustaine's Kill Em All guitar solos.
    edited October 2008
    MasterOfPuppets86;1448498 said:
    I am a huge Metallica fan but personally other than fuel and the memory remains which are in the end are mediocre songs, the 2 albums as well as St. Anger can go burn in the fiery pits of bad albums.

Also Death Magnetic isnt that good, the first 4 albums were the best so along with the Peace Sells....But Who's Buying and Screaming for Vengeance I would like to the whole Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning albums because no one can keep up with Dave Mustaine's Kill Em All guitar solos.
    You do know that Mustaine wasn't the one playing those solos on the album. That was Kirk. Mustaine wasn't involved with the actual recording of Kill 'Em All, Kirk had already replaced him.

As for how I'd combine them? In a trash compactor.
  • bierfahtbierfaht Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    in a blender to see if it would blend.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited October 2008
    Well, my tastes differ from most, but here is my list

Songs from Load:
    Ain't My Bitch 5:04
    2X4 5:28
    King Nothing 5:28
    Hero of the Day 4:22
    Song from Reload:
    Fuel 4:30
    The Memory Remains 4:39
    The Unforgiven II 6:36
    Better Than You 5:22

Total Run Time 55:48
    edited October 2008
    Marclious;1446834 said:
    Metallica changed their style rather quickly when they first started playing. Kill'em All was pure Thrash... and basically they invented the genre of music with this album. For me personally Kill'em All was there best piece of work.Ride the Lightningwas equivalent to their apex. It was Their masterpiece. A dive into maturity. I would have loved for Metallica to have made a few more full on thrash albums before they matured. They matured before they should have. Anyone who says MoP was their masterpiece clearly didnt listen to RtL enough.
    Kill 'Em All is great, but it's still them trying to copy their influences. The true Metallica style didn't really appear until Lightning.

I still have to put MoP above RtL simply because it's a solid, killer album from start to finish. Lightning, however, has Escape - a song that the band hates and regrets making, mainly because they crumbled under pressure and made it solely as an attempt to crack the radio market. Not that it's a horrible song, but that definitely deserves a half-star deduction.

As for the Dave Mustaine Kill 'Em All thing, mystlyfe correctly pointed out that he's not on that album. Parts of his solos still exist, but are played by Kirk. I think Dave's solo abilities during this period are highly overrated.

He had only two playing modes - fast shredding and faster shredding, and live he was sloppy as hell and was clearly making things up as he went. The stuff he laid on tape for No Life Til Leather was pretty good, but they weren't the solos handed down from God like so many think. At that stage, he seemed to be clearly from the Kerry King school of 'pick as fast as possible and move my fingers around like crazy and see what happens!'
    edited October 2008
    Sayburr;1472015 said:
    Well, my tastes differ from most, but here is my list

Songs from Load:
    Ain't My Bitch 5:04
    2X4 5:28
    King Nothing 5:28
    Hero of the Day 4:22
    Song from Reload:
    Fuel 4:30
    The Memory Remains 4:39
    The Unforgiven II 6:36
    Better Than You 5:22

Total Run Time 55:48
    Add "Fixxxer" and you've got a damn fine album. Maybe toss "Devil's Dance" on that one as well.
  • HazzyRapHazzyRap Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    cdestey;1246566 said:

That's pretty much what I've always told haters. It is what it is- you don't like it, don't listen. MOP, RTL, KEA still exist, folks!

And no, I would keep them seperate. I find both are strong enough to make their own case and be enjoyed seperately.
    edited October 2008
    HazzyRap;1479063 said:
    That's pretty much what I've always told haters. It is what it is- you don't like it, don't listen. MOP, RTL, KEA still exist, folks!

And no, I would keep them seperate. I find both are strong enough to make their own case and be enjoyed seperately.
    Oh no! She's using common sense! Someone stop her!
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    After listening to parts of the albums a few times, I've come to the conclusion that:

-I prefer Load over Reload

- The albums not metal, but I don't see why it's so greatly despised. It was a major departure from their old sound, but if they want to experiment, then let them experiment.

- While I do enjoy the albums, I have noticed that, unlike the 80's albums, I can't listen to them in one sitting. Maybe they don't catch my interest as well, or maybe it's the long length.
    edited October 2008
    Recently I've noticed that Hetfield's voice sounds very... different on ReLoad. It's like he's singing way higher than he does on any other record. Anyone else notice this? It's most noticeable on "Attitude", "Bad Seed", and "Slither".
  • SongbladeSongblade Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I would combine them both with fire... and then piss on the smoldering remains.