A little less classic, A little more modern

EnjoyincuboyEnjoyincuboy Unsigned
edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing some classic songs on installments of guitar hero but that's not what I want. I personally didn't grow up listening to AC/DC and such so playing their songs hasn't really peaked my interest. I know that it will generally come to whatever is in demand (unforunately). I simply have no interest in playing Metallica songs. I wouldn't completely protest these types of songs being in the game, what i'm calling for is a little more diversity (in Rock eras). My suggestions would be Green Day, Blink182, Foo Fighters, Yellowcard, STP, 311, Incubus, The Strokes, Live, Fuel, Jimmy Eat World, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins....I guess you can see that i'm leaning in a 90s to early 2000s direction. I'm not saying these songs should dominate the game but should definately be included. Maybe songs can be seperated by Genre in a certain area of the game (free play) or time period. I think these bands' songs would be fun to play with a few friends in my living room or via the internet.

Comments

• edited June 2007
    I'd go for some 90s but not 2000s.. I guess everyone has their own taste when it comes to music eh. I like the classics, but I'm a cranky old 20-something so go figure :P
  • edited June 2007
    I wouldn't mind some Foo Fighter, Muse and Strokes. Definately want some Pumpkins in there. But I like the older stuff too. Most of the other bands on your list I don't hate, except Yellowcard, lol
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited June 2007
    I would enjoy seeing some Franz Ferdinand again.
  • mrblonde885mrblonde885 Opening Act
    edited June 2007
    Enjoyincuboy;6895 said:
    Live, Fuel, Jimmy Eat World
    Fuel's "Untitled" would be awesome for this game as well as "All Over You" or "Top" by Live. Can't think of any great J.E.W. songs for the game off the top of my head, I just like the band though. Good picks, and I agree that more attention needs to be paid to present day music. I didn't grow up with AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Metallica either.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited June 2007
    I happen to like an imbalance in favor of older music. I didn't grow up listening to AC/DC and such either, and that's why playing older songs in these games is the most intriguing to me. In GH, playing Take Me Out was surely fun, but coming across Spanish Castle Magic and Frankenstein was great since I wasn't familiar with them before. The best part about Harmonix's games is that they broaden your musical tastes and introduce you to material you haven't heard before. It's fun to play along to recent songs, but there was so much great rock before the 90s that I would hope for an imbalance in favor of pre-90s music.
  • TasteOfKahosTasteOfKahos Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    I suppose I didn't really start listening to rock until I was like 15, and I've been playing catch up since. I enjoy listening to any era, and playing the 80's+ has been a blast on GH II. It would be cool to play some songs closer 2000 as I may know the words, but it's just as fun learning a new song. From the ground up. Either way, I'm happy :p
  • trent0090trent0090 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Dude, I get what you mean. i was born in 84, (granted that's not to young 22) it's not that I don't like Zep, the Who, yes, Neil Young, Toll...Etc (Okay I never liked zep. Sue me, lol.) They get what they can, plus people who listen to those bands have the cash to buy it. Not that you may be poor. But at 22 i have a lot more cash to spend then i did at 15, or 16.
  • WildWalkerWildWalker Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Enjoyincuboy;6895 said:
    My suggestions would be Green Day, Blink182, Foo Fighters, Yellowcard, STP, 311, Incubus, The Strokes, Live, Fuel, Jimmy Eat World, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins.....
    I count myself to be very lucky. I was born in 1966 (41 now) and I enjoy music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and the current climate. Nearly 50 years of music to chose from is awesome. I am currently listening a lot to Fall Out Boy (dont groan) MCRs Black Parade (superb, although I loved 3 cheers for sweet revenge).

I have been totally in to Green Day and Blink 182 (Cant get in to that +44 album, the signature track was good, the rest - ho-hum) Sum 41 (I want In too deep from GH1 as a download pls) I like nearly all the bands on your list, but also love some of the older bands, including some that didnt make it like Journey, Kill Switch Engage, Offspring, Meat Loaf (bat out of hell is a must surely?) I could go on.

So, as for your post, yes I would like to see some 'current' bands, but also keep some classics too. And as someone already said on this thread, throw in some stuff that a lot of people will never have heard of to keep some interest ;)

With the proposed 100 downloads in the first year (read my GH2 downloads post) then content could be very varied, as long as the downloads don't dry up after the first two weeks (like GH2)

WW/.

Actually, as I typed this I was listening to Flick of the wrist by Queen, what an amazing track. Sorry, just thought that was worth a mention :)

WW
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    killswitch engage is an older band now?
  • mtadashi19mtadashi19 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Maybe Dream Theater?
  • edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;8087 said:
    killswitch engage is an older band now?
    Killswitch isn't an older band... any band that formed after 1988 is still a new band, lol.
  • WildWalkerWildWalker Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Relative to GH releases yes :)

Yeah, had a few beers last night, slipped KSE in there accidentally.

I'd love to see a KSE track in RB, but I think someone already touched on the fact that the vocals would be 'challenging' (damn near impossible) and the overall effect of the song would be very easily ruined if hte singing wasnt nearly close.

So far HMX have go the music spot on, and I have every faith in them to continue doing so.

WW
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited July 2007
    mrblonde885;7207 said:
    Can't think of any great J.E.W. songs for the game off the top of my head, I just like the band though.
    Pain, Sweetness, Bleed American, off the top of my head.
  • edited July 2007
    "My suggestions would be Green Day, Blink182, Foo Fighters, Yellowcard, STP, 311, Incubus, The Strokes, Live, Fuel, Jimmy Eat World, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins"

I agree with that. Some people may not like it but bands like Blink 182 and Green Day should be in, they've had an impact and their songs are pretty recognizable.
  • edited July 2007
    As much as some of the songs in the above post really piss me off, I don't mind green day. I've liked them ever since I heard When I Come Around back in like '96 or something.

Someone on these boards mentioned that Jesus of Suburbia would be a good song for Rock Band and I agree. It's a long song but has enough variations to keep people interested and it wont hurt Rock Band sales to say "including songs from band x, band y, green day, and band z".
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    i totally agree with you. the bands from the 90's-early 2000's belong in here, too.I'd push for Green Day's Having A Blast in here and I'm really gonna push for Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins to be in here. This is just coming from a 13 year-old. I really want the classic stuff in here too but, we just need like some Pumpkins and Green Day in here ot truly make it rock. Nirvana is way too overrated.
  • trent0090trent0090 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Hastyl3;8885 said:
    i totally agree with you. the bands from the 90's-early 2000's belong in here, too.I'd push for Green Day's Having A Blast in here and I'm really gonna push for Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins to be in here. This is just coming from a 13 year-old. I really want the classic stuff in here too but, we just need like some Pumpkins and Green Day in here ot truly make it rock. Nirvana is way too overrated.
    Dude, if it wasn't for Nirvana all those bands you just named wouldn't have had a chance. Yet without bands like mudhoney and big time thanks to the Melvins (their biggest influence.) Though I do agree with you for the most part on what bands you want on. Yet I still don't like how Green day just turned their backs on the CBGB fans and went and made pop.
  • Dirge07Dirge07 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    I don't mind having a few older songs in GH or RB, but there's a problem when everytime me and my friends play GH2 we play the same 5-10 songs everytime. I'm not a guy of one genre either; I love diversity, so an even amount of songs of every era would be nice, instead of one era dominating a game.