Additions to Your Vinyl Collection

WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
edited October 2011 in History of Rock
So, for you vinyl addicts out there, this thread is to talk about new albums that you've purchased.

I was just perusing through my local record store looking at what new stuff they had and saw that a ****load of new metal material had come in. Of them was Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos, a Neurosis album (forget the name), BORIS and Sunn O)))'s Altar, Death Magnetic, and British Steel. There was more, but the list would be long if I were to include everything.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Opeth's Blackwater Park. I've heard great things about it and figured it was a good album to buy. I'm about finished with side B and I love the album! I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Comments

• back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    I burned a whole in my wallet last month. Spent $800 on about 20 LPs.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    HMXHenry;1360150 said:
    God, and here I am in negotiations for a $300 test press of a 7" I already have 15 copies of.

Let this be a warning to up and coming vinyl junkies.
    Haha. I've almost gotten that close, but don't have nearly enough cash. I've got $3 in my bank account and pretty much all of that has been spent on vinyl. I've spent such a small amount on Rock Band DLC lately that it's insane.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    HMXHenry;1360150 said:
    God, and here I am in negotiations for a $300 test press of a 7" I already have 15 copies of.

Let this be a warning to up and coming vinyl junkies.
    holy smokes! i have a creation is crucifixion test-press with your name on it! ;)
  • CrimsonIdolCrimsonIdol Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I don't have much Vinyl, mainly AC/DC (my first real music love) 70's albums (Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock and such). Don't really have the money to be splashing out on Vinyl that I don't listen to (we do have a turntable... but CD's ripped to a PC are so much more conveniant!) when I have to fund a CD, Games, DVD and Alcohol habit too, not to mention my new desire to grab books/biographies on rock bands aswell >.<

Be nice to have some more though.. even if just so I could one day sell them when I'm really in need of money (Blasphemous I know.. but if I don't listen to them then they may aswell only be there for that purpose anyway :/). I'm not a collector, just a fan.
  • RedRaptorRedRaptor Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Can anyone suggest a good place where I can pick up some vinyls, both new and old? A franchies of sorts (Sam Goody, Tower Records...didnt they go out of business)? I would prefer not to buy online, just to avoid shipping and possible breakage.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    RedRaptor;1360352 said:
    Can anyone suggest a good place where I can pick up some vinyls, both new and old? A franchies of sorts (Sam Goody, Tower Records...didnt they go out of business)? I would prefer not to buy online, just to avoid shipping and possible breakage.
    The only chain that sells vinyl to my knowledge is Relapse Record store, but I've never seen one. I just have heard Hungryfreak talk about it and they have a very nice website.
    edited October 2008
    RedRaptor;1360352 said:
    i'm afraid i don't know of any chains that still carry vinyl.

i personally do mailorder and small shops.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited October 2008
    I do thrift stores, antique shops, garage/yard sales, record stores.
  • Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1360999 said:
    i'm afraid i don't know of any chains that still carry vinyl.

i personally do mailorder and small shops.
    There is a chain of stores around Pittsburgh I have seen carry vinyl. They deal in video games, music and movies and are called The Exchange. If anyone here lives around pittsburgh I highly recommend them and their trade in prices are usually higher than gamestop. They accept really old games too, As far back as Atari 2600 (1977) in some cases.
    a21schizoidman;1361212 said:
    I do thrift stores, antique shops, garage/yard sales, record stores.
    All fantastic places if the time is right and such but it is unlikely you will find records by lesser known foreign bands who only released albums in their home country.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited October 2008
    Gargoyle2500;1362177 said:

All fantastic places if the time is right and such but it is unlikely you will find records by lesser known foreign bands who only released albums in their home country.
    actually...

I've gotten everything from AC/DC to Led Zeppelin, to Zappa
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    RedRaptor;1360352 said:
    I don't think they spread much beyond the east coast, but Newbury Comics has a great vinyl selection. Even ye olde Hot Topic carries a small but interesting catalog with some surprisingly decent stuff at good prices.

For used stuff, my vinyl mecca has always been Boston. Sadly, the small indie shops are a dying breed in comparison to the late 80s/early 90s, but there's still an ocean of great vinyl spread across that city.
  • edited October 2008
    culturedog;1363431 said:
    I don't think they spread much beyond the east coast, but Newbury Comics has a great vinyl selection. Even ye olde Hot Topic carries a small but interesting catalog with some surprisingly decent stuff at good prices.
    I was going to suggest both of these for East Coast / New England vinyl nerds.

There should be decent stores in most major cities on either coast, even if they aren't chains. Most big chains don't even know what vinyl is. I went to a Best Buy recently looking for a new stylus and they could not have been more baffled.

We should put together a regional map of record stores with choice recommendations for each state and major city.
  • RedRaptorRedRaptor Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    HMXHenry;1364142 said:
    I was going to suggest both of these for East Coast / New England vinyl nerds.

There should be decent stores in most major cities on either coast, even if they aren't chains. Most big chains don't even know what vinyl is. I went to a Best Buy recently looking for a new stylus and they could not have been more baffled.

We should put together a regional map of record stores with choice recommendations for each state and major city.
    Ahh well thnk you all for your help, im going to have to search around for some of these shops. For further information, im in the Richmond Virginia area. There is a nice place up about 30 minutes away (Plan 9 music) but thats a bit hard to get to with the V8 i own.
    edited October 2008
    RedRaptor;1364183 said:
    Ahh well thnk you all for your help, im going to have to search around for some of these shops. For further information, im in the Richmond Virginia area. There is a nice place up about 30 minutes away (Plan 9 music) but thats a bit hard to get to with the V8 i own.
    i've been to two different plan 9 stores, and they're pretty snazzy. make the trip!
  • idiotecidiotec Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Just found this thread :)

The other weekend I grabbed the following at a local record store:

Devo - Freedom of Choice
    Gary Numan – Telekon
    Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison
    Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    The Plan 9 in Charlottesville has a passable vinyl collection. I found a store off the downtown mall that has a whole lot of very nice modern re-releases. Bold as Love for around 21... I think they had a vinyl copy of Sly & The Family Stone's Stand! that I was interested in getting.
    I imagine I'll get more interested in picking up vinyl after I move up to Boston next June.

In the meantime, here's a nice alternative to dealing with record players.

http://www.elpj.com/main.html
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited October 2008
    Let's see, recently I have added:

NEW:

Are You Experienced - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (re-issue)
    No World For Tomorrow - Coheed & Cambria

Used:

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
    The River - Bruce Springsteen
    The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen
    Heroes - David Bowie
    Aerosmith - Aerosmith
    Done With Mirrors - Aerosmith

On Friday, I'll be picking up a re-issue of "...And Justice For All".
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited October 2008
    idiotec;1502247 said:
    Just found this thread :)

The other weekend I grabbed the following at a local record store:

Devo - Freedom of Choice
    Gary Numan – Telekon
    Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison
    Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
    I have that one as well.

It is a great album.
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    I pick up a few vinyls a week (I'm 17 and it's pretty much all I spend my money on). Some of my latest additions are:
    Black Ice - AC/DC
    Dehumanizer 180g reissue - Black Sabbath
    Along Came A Spider - Alice Cooper
    Don't Be Mistaken - Agression
    Damaged - Black Flag
    Cosmos Rocks - Queen + Paul Rodgers
    My Generation/Pinball Wizard flexi-disc - The Who (Very rare if I'm not mistaken)
    Static Age - The Misfits

I love vinyl, everything sounds so much better than on CD. I especially love it when recent albums also come out on vinyl.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Gonna go ahead and bring this one back.

I just bought Radiohead's OK Computer and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless on vinyl today.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Since I've been dumping the list in the "Too Many Albums" thread, Ill just relist my recent additions here:

A Storm Of Light - And We Wept The Black Ocean Within
    Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies (re-issue)
    Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
    Yes - The Yes Album
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
    King Crimson - Lizard
    Robert Fripp & Andy Summers - I Advance Masked
    Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
    Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
    Dio - Holy Diver
    UFO - Lights Out
    Government Warning - Arrested (7" single)
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2009
    The Cars - The Cars
    The Cars - Panorama
    Rolling Stones - Tatoo You
    Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (Zipper is stuck!)

That's my collection for right now. :(
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I recently grabbed:
    Rush's Moving Pictures, 2112 and Permanent Waves.
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
    Def Leppard - Pyromania
    AC/DC - Back in Black
  • gchamp2020gchamp2020 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Lets see-
    I got
    1. Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love
    2. James Brown - In The Jungle Groove
    3. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (sounds AMAZING!)
    4. Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
    5. The NEW "Watchmen" vinyl
    It's got My Chemical Romance doing "Desolation Row" (The Bob Dylan Tune) and a brief snippet of the score.

And the best part is the way it looks, which is why I want to add it to my collection. I thought everyone should know, and enjoy it.

Check out the look:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/01/27/cool-stuff-watchmen-vinyl-record/
    edited February 2009
    Just picked up another couple today:

Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
    Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Got another today...Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Some of my most recent additions:
    Iron Maiden - Porto Alegre 3/5/08
    Iron Maiden - Gothenburg 7/9/05 (I'm a big bootleg vinyl nut, incase these two didn't give it away)
    Bruce ****inson - Dive! Dive! Dive! EP (picture disc)
    **** Dale - Surfer's Choice (Radio copy of the album, appears to be only very lightly played, if at all, very valuable)
    Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles
    Rush - A Passage To Bangkok (Live) (Radio promo)
    Hollywood Rose - The Roots Of Guns N' Roses
    The Misfits - Walk Among Us
    The Ramones - It's Alive
    Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
    Average White Band - Cut The Cake

And what I would now consider my most cherished LP:
    McRad - Absence Of Sanity (It was ONLY $66 on ebay, a pretty good price for anyone who gives a damn about this band!)
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    The only vinyl I have is, in chronological order:

The Ghostbusters Theme single.
    Sun-Ra, Interstellar Low Ways
  • FleshofJesuFleshofJesu Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    wolves in the throne room - malevolent grain ep
    mono - one more step and you die/new york soundtracks (reissue)
    mono - hymn to the immortal wind
    maserati/zombi split
    deathspell omega/s.v.e.s.t. split
    eluvium - life through bombardment 7lp box set
    edited February 2009
    How is that Wolves In The Throne Room EP? I may just try and get it, myself, along with the new Autopsy EP.