Additions to Your Vinyl Collection

WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
edited October 2011 in History of Rock
So, for you vinyl addicts out there, this thread is to talk about new albums that you've purchased.

I was just perusing through my local record store looking at what new stuff they had and saw that a ****load of new metal material had come in. Of them was Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos, a Neurosis album (forget the name), BORIS and Sunn O)))'s Altar, Death Magnetic, and British Steel. There was more, but the list would be long if I were to include everything.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Opeth's Blackwater Park. I've heard great things about it and figured it was a good album to buy. I'm about finished with side B and I love the album! I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited September 2008
    Serpentd;1287767 said:
    Dude, I'm very impressed that someone your age is into vinyl, guys like you give me hope for your generation. Unfortunately you are a VERY rare breed!
    About four months ago I got into an argument at school with a bunch of my "friends" (if you can call them that) who tried to convince me that every aspect of digitized music was better than its analog counterpart. It was the most ridiculous discussion I've ever gotten into. Luckily, I'm at a new school this year for high school and I don't have to deal with them. I haven't found any other kids who are into vinyl, but I have met a few teachers who are. One of them is a huge Maiden fan, as well. I'm also trying to get a job at this restaurant where the chef is huge into metal and has seen tons of epic shows and gone to numerous festivals.
    Serpentd;1287767 said:
    EDIT: I Like your avatar. Mind however does simbolize parts of who I am and what I believe for the most part. Mostly me being a true Satanist (Not a wanna be with no education on the religion). But Satanism is VERY misunderstood by most people. It's actaully so far from an "evil" thing you would be surprised. Not assuming that's your thought of it, but tends to be most others. Even if your a "true" Christian for example, it's worth researching along with origins of Paganism. They have lots in common. Sorry for the off topic.
    I have nothing against Satanists. I've actually been wanting to read the Satanic bible. It might scare my parents a bit, but whatever. I'm not in a heavily religious family (except for my grandmother, ugh...) so it may not be a big deal. I do want to know more about it.

I really love the Satanic symbols and imagery. Its kind of become synonymous with metal, as well.
    Serpentd;1287767 said:
    Thanks for the update of the new stuff showing up. I've collected vinyl for over 30 years. Of coarse I had a step dad that would demolish my records and posters about every 4-6 months when I was about your age because I was into metal just as I am today. Nothing there has changed much.

Unfortunately I haven't really purchased any "new" releases for a few years. I actually own lots of the originals if it's a Re-release that is still in mint or near mint condition. Doesn't mean I'm not a sucker for the Re-releases as I own plenty of them as well even if they end up being doubles or triples of what I own.

My collection is about 3000-4000 albums depending if I'm counting the doubles and all. The last album I got was the First Pantera album ever made a few weeks ago, I found it in Germany I think in mint for about $125 dollars or so. Anyway I would love to get the album you got since I've been starting to get more into this band. Opeth is some killer stuff for sure. I guess you bringing this up is going to get me off my ass and go check out all the new stuff out.

If I remember I post back here on the stuff I end up with. Knowing me it will be at least 20 different albums. Thanks for this thread and hope you enjoy your new record. I'm still freaking out that your only 14, into good metal and vinyl on top of it. Way awesome!!

Just curious, but what do you use for a turntable? Thanks and hope others chime in. I like being surprised at some of today's youth.\m/
    Definitely go check and see if the Opeth album is available at your local record store. They had it there with Damnation and I believe that they are both reissues. They're also 180 gram vinyl as an added bonus.

That's awesome that you have such a big collection! I would love to see what gems you've got in there. My dad used to own the record store that I go to for my vinyl and his collection down in our basement is probably about 5,000 records. Unfortunately, it's mostly reggae since he was big into it (he met Bob Marley, even).

With my turntable, I did some research and I believe (I couldn't find too much info) it's a Dual CS-500. It's my dad's old one from the '80s. I've been wanting to get my own USB one, but for now, I'm good.
    Hungryfreak;1288249 said:
    Oh, damn, I wish I was back home now so I could get that. The vinyl of it has to sound awesome. Well, I need my record player repaired anyways (a friend bent the needle...), though. I'll get my parents to fix it for some present-giving holiday Im missing while here, maybe.

I can't really expand my vinyl collection while Im in Israel, since ti wouldn't be worth the trouble, but I still need to order that Sleep's Holy Mountain vinyl if the Relapse store still has it.
    It looked like a cool record. I love the artwork. It was a box set, as well, with a triple LP. I wish you could see what we've got here. There's lots of great drone.

I'm pretty sure Relapse still has Sleep's Holy Mountain. Maybe just order it and have it sent to your house.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited September 2008
    My recent purchases were only a month ago but I think I got some good stuff from the flea market.(I still need to go back to support the guy).

Yes-Tales from Topographic Oceans
    Kansas-Masque(Got two copies by accident...:p)
    Kansas-Kansas
    Kansas-Point of Known Return
    Kansas-Monolith
    Kansas-Songs for America
    Asia's debut
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery

Essentially I got almost every progressive rock era album from Kansas besides Audio Visions.(Kansas' Leftoverture was in my first purchase).

Edit:I don't why I am so prone to typing s. :)
  • Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    I bought some Ted Mulry Gang records the other week. I bought their "Struttin" Album and their "The TMG Album". For those who are not familiar with TMG, They may be best known for their song "Jump In My Car" Which David Hasselhoff covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNHMXAQpb0&feature=PlayList&p=A1995526978C6C8C&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCwY3SxleY&feature=PlayList&p=A1995526978C6C8C&index=2

Second song is "Jamaica Rum"
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    i haven't ordered anything lately, but here's what i've got lined up to order sometime next week.

KISS THE ANUS OF A BLACK CAT - The Nebulous Dreams LP
    JONATHAN KANE - February LP
    DJ SCOTCH EGG - Drumized LP
    MENSTRUATION SISTERS - Ma LP
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1289985 said:
    MENSTRUATION SISTERS
    Interesting...
    edited September 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1290814 said:
    Interesting...
    they're a definite oddity.

oren ambarchi, of sunn0))) fame, played in the band but they were nothing at all like oren's drone material.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    I snagged the Death Magnetic double platter on sale at Newbury Comics (sadly not 180g though). Still sounds pretty decent, even though side 2 is noticeably louder than every other side strangely.

Before that I bought the 180g double of Opeth's Watershed. That's a very classy release that comes with a poster, a CD copy of the album (complete with the bonus track "Derelict Herds") and nice full color sleeves. Had a great time listening to it with headphones on and getting lost in the nuances.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    I just got into vinyl like a week ago...I took my parent's old turntable to college with me. So far all I have is Radiohead's "Kid A," "Amnesiac," and "The Bends."
  • BigMonkEBigMonkE Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    The only vinyl albums I have are:

Boston
    Don't Look Back
    Who's Next
    &
    Moving Pictures

I need moar.
  • PastafarianPastafarian Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Just picked up g.g. allin-E.M.F.
  • BowiefanpersonBowiefanperson Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    my father hasn't bought a vinyl in probably over 10 years.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited September 2008
    i bought a copy of Moving Waves by Focus on ebay but im still waiting to recieve it...
  • rocker338rocker338 Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    i found back and black at this thrift store awhile back. it was only $2. it made me happy
    edited October 2008
    Both of my Ted Mulry Gang albums have arrived! I have not played either of them yet, I want to clean the records with a dust removing tool before I play them for maximum quality. I paid $27 for each of these shipped from Australia, So you can imagine why I want to clean them even if there is little dust.
    edited October 2008
    Gargoyle2500;1358940 said:
    Both of my Ted Mulry Gang albums have arrived! I have not played either of them yet, I want to clean the records with a dust removing tool before I play them for maximum quality. I paid $27 for each of these shipped from Australia, So you can imagine why I want to clean them even if there is little dust.
    That's not too much. I payed $35 for my copy of A Matter of Life and Death, which still isn't very expensive. $70 is expensive.

There was a guy over at the Iron Maiden Fanclub forums trying to sell a copy of The Soundhouse Tapes signed by Paul Di'Anno for $1,000. My common sense said hell no, but my love of Maiden said hell yes. I went with my common sense.
  • RedRaptorRedRaptor Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    I have yet to purchuse any vinyls, but ive been really looking into them. Not really to play, but simply to have for the hell of it. There are definatly a few out there i would LOVE having. Just gotta find a store that actually sells em, and poney up the extra 5 bucks. Too bad, the closest thing to a record store around here is Best Buy, and they dont know ****.
    edited October 2008
    i actually have a box of 7"'s due any day now from a dude who owed me some stuff... he told me it'd be "weird punk **** i'm sure to love".
    i've had to hold off on buying anything for a little bit so this is just what the doctor ordered. :)
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1358994 said:
    That's not too much. I payed $35 for my copy of A Matter of Life and Death, which still isn't very expensive. $70 is expensive.
    $54 for two records is a lot to me.
    edited October 2008
    Gargoyle2500;1359479 said:
    $54 for two records is a lot to me.
    Yeah, I guess it kind of depends on how much you're willing to spend on vinyl. When I buy vinyl, I spend quite a bit on it. If I see an album for only $20 that I want, I get really excited, but I am willing to throw down $50 for an album is I really want it. For example, a copy of Piece of Mind by Iron Maiden for that price would be totally worth it.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited October 2008
    I only own 1 vinyl record and it's.... Chuck Berry's Rock Til You Drop.
    edited October 2008
    i'm cheap. anything over $12 per LP is painful. :)
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited October 2008
    My most expensive was 40 for Black Mass/Lucifer

most are somewhere between .25 -$10
    edited October 2008
    Is stuff around here just more expensive? The average price is about $25 for a new LP.
  • edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1359534 said:
    i'm cheap. anything over $12 per LP is painful. :)
    God, and here I am in negotiations for a $300 test press of a 7" I already have 15 copies of.

Let this be a warning to up and coming vinyl junkies.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    I burned a whole in my wallet last month. Spent $800 on about 20 LPs.
    edited October 2008
    HMXHenry;1360150 said:
    God, and here I am in negotiations for a $300 test press of a 7" I already have 15 copies of.

Haha. I've almost gotten that close, but don't have nearly enough cash. I've got $3 in my bank account and pretty much all of that has been spent on vinyl. I've spent such a small amount on Rock Band DLC lately that it's insane.
    edited October 2008
    HMXHenry;1360150 said:

holy smokes! i have a creation is crucifixion test-press with your name on it! ;)
  • CrimsonIdolCrimsonIdol Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I don't have much Vinyl, mainly AC/DC (my first real music love) 70's albums (Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock and such). Don't really have the money to be splashing out on Vinyl that I don't listen to (we do have a turntable... but CD's ripped to a PC are so much more conveniant!) when I have to fund a CD, Games, DVD and Alcohol habit too, not to mention my new desire to grab books/biographies on rock bands aswell >.<

Be nice to have some more though.. even if just so I could one day sell them when I'm really in need of money (Blasphemous I know.. but if I don't listen to them then they may aswell only be there for that purpose anyway :/). I'm not a collector, just a fan.
  • RedRaptorRedRaptor Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Can anyone suggest a good place where I can pick up some vinyls, both new and old? A franchies of sorts (Sam Goody, Tower Records...didnt they go out of business)? I would prefer not to buy online, just to avoid shipping and possible breakage.
    edited October 2008
    RedRaptor;1360352 said:
    Can anyone suggest a good place where I can pick up some vinyls, both new and old? A franchies of sorts (Sam Goody, Tower Records...didnt they go out of business)? I would prefer not to buy online, just to avoid shipping and possible breakage.
    The only chain that sells vinyl to my knowledge is Relapse Record store, but I've never seen one. I just have heard Hungryfreak talk about it and they have a very nice website.