noise artists?

Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
edited October 2013 in History of Rock
Can anybody recommend me some good noise artists? I listened to some Merzbow and I really enjoyed his stuff, and would like to get some more into the genre. The only other band I really know of is The Locust.

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    here's a good mix of stuff in a variety of subgenres (cringe if you must, but even noise has subgenres)...

lightning bolt
    prurient
    wolf eyes
    diagram:a
    kites
    panicsville
    hair police
    knifestorm
    tan as **** (censored... uh, rhymes with "duck")

it's also good to check out the old masters, such as luigi russolo, iannis xenakis, la monte young, etc.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Another recommendation for Lightning Bolt.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2008
    In addition to the groups afterstasis mentioned, I also recommend Swans.

Isn't Sonic Youth considered noise rock, too?
    edited September 2008
    Runesmith;1295894 said:
    In addition to the groups afterstasis mentioned, I also recommend Swans.

Isn't Sonic Youth considered noise rock, too?
    swans are incredible, though their material is so varied you have to be ready for a lot of very "un-noise" sounds mixed in.

some sonic youth is considered noise-rock, yes. if you like that style, check out some of the early no wave bands like DNA, mars, ut, etc.
    edited September 2008
    also, since you specifically mentioned merzbow, i guess i should have listed some japanese noise... d'oh...

aube
    hijokaiden
    boredoms
    masonna
    incapacitants
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the lists Afterstasis, I particularily like Lightning Bolt and Aube.

As for Merzbow, which of his post-Merzbox(2001) cd's is his best? I can't find much on torrents and I only have $11 left in my iTunes balance, and each of his albums is about $10 on there.

edit: itunes only has Sphere, Metamorphism, Frog+, and Cycle from that era
    edited September 2008
    Rev0lver;1296467 said:
    Thanks for the lists Afterstasis, I particularily like Lightning Bolt and Aube.

As for Merzbow, which of his post-Merzbox(2001) cd's is his best? I can't find much on torrents and I only have $11 left in my iTunes balance, and each of his albums is about $10 on there.

edit: itunes only has Sphere, Metamorphism, Frog+, and Cycle from that era
    i think "frog+" is the best of the ones you listed.
    i typically prefer his earlier work ("pulse demon" is my fave), but "frog+" is a good listen.

keep me updated on what you're liking and disliking...
    i've been making noise and running an experimental record label off and on for about 6 years now. i like to think i know my stuff. :)
    edited September 2008
    I ended up going with Cycle actually. Frog+ seemed like a good concept and all, but from the previews of it it's not very accessable to me as I am pretty new to the genre.

Do you know of anywhere else to purchase his CD's? Amazon and Emusic have a few but not nearly all of the new stuff, and the only other sites I've found are international.
    edited September 2008
    Rev0lver;1296790 said:
    I ended up going with Cycle actually. Frog+ seemed like a good concept and all, but from the previews of it it's not very accessable to me as I am pretty new to the genre.

Do you know of anywhere else to purchase his CD's? Amazon and Emusic have a few but not nearly all of the new stuff, and the only other sites I've found are international.
    try these two links...

http://www.aquariusrecords.org
    http://www.rrrecords.com
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Try Brainiac...Smack Baby Bunny is a great album. So are Hissing Prigs in Static Couture and Bonsai Superstar for that matter...
    edited September 2008
    if there's enough interest in this (please express it up in here), i could do some noise mixes for the blog.
    just let me know what sorta stuff you'd like to see (more/less accessible, older/newer stuff, wide variety, etc.)...
  • tofubottofubot Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    not necessarily noise, but more in the experimental/industrial vein, you might wanna check out Einstürzende Neubauten. a bunch of really angry germans banging on random metallic junk with piezo's stuck to them.

Also, i fully endorse the swans. basically anything with michale gira, even though a lot of it is more lush experimental music. also, glen branca's orchestrated noise pieces would be worth checking out. thurston moore of sonic youth used to play in one back in the 80's.

also tortoise, throbbing gristle, psychic tv, public image ltd., current 93, negativeland.

also, some not well known, but amazing artists you'd wanna check out. Dog, Phog Masheen, Nightnurse, Nurse With Wound, and my band a screaming comes across the sky.

enjoy!
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Sonic Youth's SYR series is amazing for fans of experimental and noise rock. I've been on a sludge metal kick lately, which sort of qualifies as noise (def experimental). Monarch! is my favorite of that group of people. They sound like sabbath at 10bpm with a chick screaming her head off in french over top of it.

I have to mostly agree with the swans, but only early swans would really be no-wave or noise. eventually, gira decided that he wanted to be johnny cash. I like both.

fook (not really fook) buttons are good, for the experimentally. Negativland and ECC are good if you like cultural reconstruction with your sonic manipulation.

David Byrne has a new project where he's created a "noise organ" where he's wired an old organ to pipes and clangs and patters and opened it up at the battery maritime building in manhattan, it's a wonderful experience that you should see.

Another band that's actually quite a catchy is little brother and sister indie pop duo but who are just too wierd and experimental for their own good (or are an experimental band who are too poppy for their own good, depending on your perception) is the fiery furnaces. They write deliciously long and beautiful progressive pop music and distort it with crunchy rhythms, backward vocals, obtuse lyrics, recordings of their dead grandmother, or whatever else they can find. It's weird to find yourself listening to experimental music and humming along.
    edited September 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1306941 said:
    Sonic Youth's SYR series is amazing for fans of experimental and noise rock. I've been on a sludge metal kick lately, which sort of qualifies as noise (def experimental). Monarch! is my favorite of that group of people. They sound like sabbath at 10bpm with a chick screaming her head off in french over top of it.

I have to mostly agree with the swans, but only early swans would really be no-wave or noise. eventually, gira decided that he wanted to be johnny cash. I like both.

fook (not really fook) buttons are good, for the experimentally. Negativland and ECC are good if you like cultural reconstruction with your sonic manipulation.

David Byrne has a new project where he's created a "noise organ" where he's wired an old organ to pipes and clangs and patters and opened it up at the battery maritime building in manhattan, it's a wonderful experience that you should see.

Another band that's actually quite a catchy is little brother and sister indie pop duo but who are just too wierd and experimental for their own good (or are an experimental band who are too poppy for their own good, depending on your perception) is the fiery furnaces. They write deliciously long and beautiful progressive pop music and distort it with crunchy rhythms, backward vocals, obtuse lyrics, recordings of their dead grandmother, or whatever else they can find. It's weird to find yourself listening to experimental music and humming along.
    i'm a fan of everything you listed except for **** buttons... you should post more. :)

the poster above you dropped some good names too, though i think a lot of what's being mentioned is more or less "experimental music" instead of noise but it definitely has it's place in this thread.
    i'm not griping or going genre-nazi here.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1295301 said:
    here's a good mix of stuff in a variety of subgenres (cringe if you must, but even noise has subgenres)...

lightning bolt
    prurient
    wolf eyes
    diagram:a
    kites
    panicsville
    hair police
    knifestorm
    tan as **** (censored... uh, rhymes with "duck")

it's also good to check out the old masters, such as luigi russolo, iannis xenakis, la monte young, etc.
    suck? Rock? I'm not sure I get it.
    edited September 2008
    afterstasis;1304161 said:
    if there's enough interest in this (please express it up in here), i could do some noise mixes for the blog.
    just let me know what sorta stuff you'd like to see (more/less accessible, older/newer stuff, wide variety, etc.)...
    That'd be pretty cool. A good variety of it would work best.

I actually really like **** Buttons, I checked out Negativland and couldn't get into it though.

And I liked Einstürzende Neubauten, but the vocalist bothers me a bit. Not the language, I speak semi-fluent German, just his voice.
    edited September 2008
    Rev0lver;1308907 said:
    That'd be pretty cool. A good variety of it would work best.
    i'll get to work on it as soon as i finish the ones i have started up.
    the only thing i'd say i'm light on in my collection is power electronics. i have some, of course, but it was never really my thing.
    edited September 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1306941 said:
    i love the fiery furnaces! them and the boredoms are absolutely fantastic to listen to, and catchy as all get out.
  • xxxdvlmanxxxdvlman Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    Try some Big Black or Throbbing Gristle. If your looking for some out there experimental stuff give Alvin Lucier a go. I love his Bird and Person Dyning.
  • BenwayMargulisBenwayMargulis Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    The Jesus Lizard, Boredoms and Zeni Geva. I know other people mentioned the Boredoms, but I thought they deserved to be included. Saw em live, it was transcendant.

Anything with Keiji Haino is also a good bet, as well as his old band, Fu****susha.

Maybe Ruins, I don't know if they fit the "noise" genre, but it seems like a logical connection.

Naked City or most John Zorn as well.

Also Big Black is good, can't really go wrong with any Steve Albini band.

Sorry for the really erratic post, my mind is stunned at the idea of a noise music thread here.

A good kind of stunned.
    edited September 2008
    since we're getting into noise-related stuff more i've gotta throw out a recommendation for caroliner.
    their recordings are alright, but missing this band live is one of the dumbest things you can do.
  • KhiroKhiro Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Hannah Montana

Its Noise. Its on the radio. What are you waiting for?
    edited September 2008
    Khiro;1319296 said:
    Hannah Montana

Its Noise. Its on the radio. What are you waiting for?

touche good sir..... touche.

big black i would hardly consider noise, or experimental. i tend to side with steve albini in stating that they're "punk rock". however, that doesn't diminish that EVERYONE should listen to big black. i'm so hung up on atomizer right now (especially kerosene) it's becoming cultic.
  • PhobophobiaPhobophobia Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    BenwayMargulis;1319172 said:
    The Jesus Lizard, Boredoms and Zeni Geva. I know other people mentioned the Boredoms, but I thought they deserved to be included. Saw em live, it was transcendant.

Maybe Ruins, I don't know if they fit the "noise" genre, but it seems like a logical connection.

Naked City or most John Zorn as well.

some good recommendations. Although not completely noise, since these bands do have structure, they are awesome japanese noise rock bands.

Might as well add Painkiller to that.

other noise crap:
    Mochipet
    Black Mayonaisse
    Nero's Day At Disneyland

saw them live in person at some warehouse and was quite a show. Ear bleeding crap
    edited September 2008
    Somehow, I totally forgot Friends Forever. They have a few records out, one of which is a concept album about a future football like sport where everyone gets a machete and a lot of pcp. The records don't really capture them, though, there's an eponymous documentary film that is just hilarious, catching their live "shows" which happen in unsuspecting parking lots from an old vw bus that they also tour in with two smelly dog and a girl who drinks her own urine.
    edited September 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1322425 said:
    Somehow, I totally forgot Friends Forever. They have a few records out, one of which is a concept album about a future football like sport where everyone gets a machete and a lot of pcp. The records don't really capture them, though, there's an eponymous documentary film that is just hilarious, catching their live "shows" which happen in unsuspecting parking lots from an old vw bus that they also tour in with two smelly dog and a girl who drinks her own urine.
    yeah, friends forever are awesome...
    they were the first band i got the guts up to ask if i could release something of theirs and instead of responding they just sent me a disc and a sealed copy of disney's "fly boy". :confused:
    edited September 2008
    youtube is typically a disappointment for noise fans, due to the poor sound quality but here are some cool picks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbM38VghFnk
    justice yeldham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwtXeI1AFo
    harry pussy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1pB4iRlDzw
    kites
  • RedRaptorRedRaptor Rising Star
    edited September 2008
    Not trying to flame. But what is the whole point to this? Is it even called music? or is it just...noise?
    edited September 2008
    RedRaptor;1341796 said:
    Not trying to flame. But what is the whole point to this? Is it even called music? or is it just...noise?
    by some definitions, all of this is music.
    by others, it is not.

some noise artists consider themselves musicians.
    while some others do not.

i personally consider any sound piece that is meant to be listened to as art or entertainment to be music, so i definitely consider noise to be music.
    edited September 2008
    RedRaptor;1341796 said:
    Why not both? :) If you want to be particular about it, all music is "just noise". The way we react to it emotionally is what makes music good or bad. If "wannabe" by the spice girls makes you smile, then dig it, kitty cat. Same with United by throbbing gristle.