The British Invasion Awards!

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited September 2008 in History of Rock
I thought of this idea at work (like I do all my ideas). What if we rated the major British Invasion bands.

The Yardbirds
Dave Clark 5
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Kinks
The Animals

being the major ones

and
The Hollies
Herman's Hermits
Manfred Mann
Freddie & the Dreamers
Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders
Peter & Gordon
The Zombies

being the minor bands

well, I figured lets name who each of us thinks is the:
Greatest BI Band
Most Innovative (be it any way you define innovation)
Best Guitar
Best Bass
Best Vocals
Best Drums
Longest Lasting Influence

well, to start this:

Most Innovative: The Kinks
Best Guitar: The Yardbirds
Best Bass: The Beatles
Best Vocals: The Animals
Best Drums: Dave Clark 5
Longest Lasting Influence: The Kinks
Greatest: the Animals

Comments

• Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2008
    I don't really like to say this but:

Lack of The Who = EPIC Fail
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    i'll have to think on this for a bit. in the meantime, don't forget about donovan and the troggs!
  • synthesizedpianosynthesizedpiano Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    my list would be almost exactly the same as urs except i dont know who id put for drums and lasting influence would be Beatles.
    Does anyone else think that the intro to the live version of You Really Got Me sounds like eddie van halen? its amazing that the kinks already sounded like that 20 years earlier
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    I'll do only a couple for now. However, did the Who not play any role in the British invasion? I'm not complaining, since it makes my choices a lot easier.

Greatest BI band: I realize how cliche I sound, but I think the greatest was The Beatles. It's rare for one band to have so many different styles. However, the Rolling Stones win for longevity, and the fact that they can still perform well today.

Most innovative: The Beatles and the Animals for me.

Best guitar: I think I will go with the Yardbirds.

Best bass: Not sure on this one. Paul was certainly good, but I don't know if it was my favorite.

Best drums: Dave Clark 5.

Best vocals: Hard. The Beatles all sung, and each were pretty damn good (my favorite was John). Eric Burdon had an unusual style, too. I also liked the Hollies vocals.

Longest lasting influence: The Rolling Stones, because they are still around, and have produced countless great singles and albums.

Greatest: I'm not touching that one... I would pick the Who if they were selectable.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited September 2008
    instantdeath999;1310367 said:
    I'll do only a couple for now. However, did the Who not play any role in the British invasion? I'm not complaining, since it makes my choices a lot easier.

Greatest BI band: I realize how cliche I sound, but I think the greatest was The Beatles. It's rare for one band to have so many different styles. However, the Rolling Stones win for longevity, and the fact that they can still perform well today.

Most innovative: The Beatles and the Animals for me.

Best guitar: I think I will go with the Yardbirds.

Best bass: Not sure on this one. Paul was certainly good, but I don't know if it was my favorite.

Best drums: Dave Clark 5.

Best vocals: Hard. The Beatles all sung, and each were pretty damn good (my favorite was John). Eric Burdon had an unusual style, too. I also liked the Hollies vocals.

Longest lasting influence: The Rolling Stones, because they are still around, and have produced countless great singles and albums.

Greatest: I'm not touching that one... I would pick the Who if they were selectable.
    the Who did play a small part in the British Invasion, but since they are much more well known for their later work, I didn't want it to skew people's choices.