Is harmonix developing rocks the 80s? or is neversoft? because 50$ is bullshit

edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
I'm sorry, 50$ for less than half the content of the other two games is just absolutely ridiculous. please fix.

=P

at least have it be out for 360 same day for a download so I dont have to buy it for ps2 THEN 360 when they decide to have it for 360 =(

JERKS

Comments

• edited June 2007
    pardon my french, it wouldn't let me change the title or delete the post, it's just aggrovation at its finest!
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited June 2007
    Harmonix developed it (note the past tense since it's gone gold already). I'm fairly certain the distributors/publishers have the real final say in the price so I would be angry at Activision or Red Octane if you must be angry at someone.

The amount of content in 80s is the same as in the first GH game without any bonus songs. Of course, GH 80s will have the practice mode, bass parts, etc. from the second game additions. It's not a horrible price since most new PS2 games have always started selling at $50. Whoever decided the pricing did a good job from a business standpoint since they know people will really want to buy the game, and they'll get as much money as they can out of them.

If you don't want to buy it, or if you want to wait six months for it to drop to $40, go ahead. No one's forcing you to buy the game. I would advise against going for them as 360 downloadable packs if/when that happens, because they'll probably get well more than $50 out of you for all of the songs.
  • DJ_XeroDJ_Xero Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    $50 is still crazy.

I mean, it only cost $60 for the original, and you got a controller with it.

$60 - $20 (for a controller)

That's $40, and it still came with 47 songs.

This one has only 30 songs and they're shelling it out for $50?

That's just not right.

$40 would be good, but still pricey.

$35 would be perfect.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited June 2007
    DJ_Xero;7209 said:
    I mean, it only cost $60 for the original, and you got a controller with it.

$60 - $20 (for a controller)

That's $40, and it still came with 47 songs.
    What? Where did you buy it? It retailed for $70 with the controller when it first came out. I don't know where you're getting $60 from. In fact, it's still listed as $70 on Red Octane. Using your $20 figure for the controller, that comes out to $50 (as one would expect). Barely any brand new PS2 games ever retail for less than $50 unless they're first party (which GH was not).
    DJ_Xero;7209 said:
    This one has only 30 songs and they're shelling it out for $50?
    The original game only had 30 songs that they had to worry about licensing issues. The 17 bonus songs were a piece of cake since most of the bands have connections with (or are simply a part of) the developers.

This one has 29 licensing issue songs (I'm leaving the Limozeen song out since that didn't cost much, if anything, at all) - and this has the most master recordings (4, not counting Limozeen) of any core set list before. GH had 0 of 30, and GHII had 2 of 40. I'm sure this thing is costing them a bit of dough, and you can be sure the costs will be passed on to the consumers.

I'm sure if they just put out a bonus edition with 30 songs from all of their in-house bands, it would probably cost $30, maybe $40. The real crux is the licensing costs, and they just can't get around them completely.

Still, you're getting 30 new guitar hero songs for about $1.70 each. For a similar comparison, iTunes sells songs for $0.99 each, but you can't use those in this game. You're getting songs with bass/rhythm, lead guitar, and the remainder of the song separated into three total tracks - two of them playable. It's not really a rip-off in the least considering all of the cover recordings they've painstakingly done, aesthetic changes to the game, and all of the licensing. The costs really start to add up if you think about it.

The bottom line is...

Thirty songs for $50 seems lame on the surface, but selling it for any less is a terrible business move, especially considering the success of the GH series.
  • edited June 2007
    yeah, I realize they are doing it because they can get away with it, and that's what is so aggrovating about it. the bastards win. even if I know no of the songs - christ, they could have had SOME bonus songs. sure GH1 had 30 but about 25 bonus songs as well, and GH2 had up to 70+ songs! It just feels like they are getting too cocky. oh well. more songs to play... but at the very least it should be 40 like other amazing games : odin sphere, okami, shadow of the colossus. It's a lot more respectable.

jerks.
  • DJ_XeroDJ_Xero Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    In the pricing, I may have been wrong, but you still are reinforcing my point. If the first game was $70, and the controllers are $50, that is even more insane.

That means it was only a $20 standalone game.

You still got more content and better songs.

$50 seems like even more of a ripoff.

I've been an HMX fan for a while (Every game up to GH2) but I don't think that $50 is a reasonable price, seeing how you aren't getting even close to the content of the other games. I mean, other than legal reasons (in a land where copyright and fair use are so blurred), would stop someone from just making their own Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's from their Guitar Hero 2 discs?

The price would be comparable at $50, if you include the time it takes to do it, plus, you can add any songs that you want.

Seriously, it's a complete ripoff.
  • edited July 2007
    Where would you get the bonus songs from though? AFAIK, the bonus songs in GH2 were all from the recent era.. I just can't see it being possible for HMX to go networking with groups from the 80s and cutting some cheap deals.
  • MaherjMaherj Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Harmonix developed it, they did not set prices.

I'm sure that was done by Activision/Red Octane
  • BlackHoleBlackHole Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Harmonix, DLC a.k.a. downloadable content won't be avilable until July via release of GH encore:rock's the 80's hopefully.
  • zankfrappazankfrappa Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    £25 sounds fine, most new games are £35-40. ($70-80)
  • edited July 2007
    It's current RRP in Australia is $69.95. 30% off the normal RRP.
  • NocturnalNocturnal Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    I think the price is fine, especially when you do all the math on it. The song list is great, and Harmonix games are always well made. I still wish they would have had all of their in house bands write/do 80's style songs for the bonus songs.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited July 2007
    GH 2 - 4 Characters + New outfits - 2 arenas + flashy lights - 37 songs + No new guitars + Different songs = Same price as GH 2? Yea doesn't add up.

The Itunes argument doesn't work either because you choose what you're getting. I wouldn't have chosen Wrathchild for an Iron Maiden song and I wouldn't have chosen a song off the internet from the 2000's for an 80's game.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Don't buy it then. No one is forcing you.