Bands with One Permantent member

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited April 2009 in History of Rock
What bands have only one member in every incarnation of the band?

Tony Iommi and Ian Pace come to mind. Mabye Mick Fleetwood too, but that I'm not sure. Any others?

Comments

• Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I think the Outlaws would qualify. Nine Inch Nails and Guns and Roses, as well.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    The Cure (Robert Smith).
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Opeth(Mikael Akerfeldt)
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I believe Steven Tyler was the only members to be in Aerosmith the whole time.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    Rev0lver;1384754 said:
    Opeth(Mikael Akerfeldt)
    Actually, it wasn't originally his band. He joined, and, I believe, the other members got angry and left so he reformed it with completely new members.

Steve Harris comes to mind. Can you imagine Iron Maiden without him?
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited October 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1384731 said:
    I think the Outlaws would qualify. Nine Inch Nails and Guns and Roses, as well.
    Nine Inch Nails has only one member, so he doesn't count.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited October 2008
    Rev0lver;1384754 said:
    Opeth(Mikael Akerfeldt)
    Although he's essentially been around the whole time, Mikael wasn't a founding member. He is the only individual to appear on every Opeth album though.

Some more:
    Arsis (James Malone)
    Megadeth (Dave Mustaine)
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1384796 said:
    Actually, it wasn't originally his band. He joined, and, I believe, the other members got angry and left so he reformed it with completely new members.

Steve Harris comes to mind. Can you imagine Iron Maiden without him?
    Grah, you beat me to it. He didn't reform it alone though, David Isberg (the original vocalist and member who had invited him to join) stayed too, although he'd quit not too much later to join another band.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Yes (Chris Squire)
    Asia (Geoff Downes)
    Danzig (Glenn Danzig)
    edited October 2008
    Akerfeldt didn't found Opeth, but he was in the original lineup, so that would count.

edit: also to add: Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and Garry Rossington of Lynyrd Skynrd.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    King Crimson (robert fripp)
    Smashing pumpkins (Billy Corgan)
    edited October 2008
    Rev0lver;1384860 said:
    Akerfeldt didn't found Opeth, but he was in the original lineup, so that would count.
    No, he wasn't. He was in the line-up that recorded Orchid (their first album), but he was not in their original line-up. The band existed before that album.
    edited October 2008
    Mystlyfe77;1384916 said:
    No, he wasn't. He was in the line-up that recorded Orchid (their first album), but he was not in their original line-up. The band existed before that album.
    The idea of Opeth existed before he did, but he was their original bassist. The dispute that has been mentioned was about who the bassist would be, as Akerfeldt and another guy had both been told they would be the bassist.
    edited October 2008
    Rev0lver;1384945 said:
    The idea of Opeth existed before he did, but he was their original bassist. The dispute that has been mentioned was about who the bassist would be, as Akerfeldt and another guy had both been told they would be the bassist.
    He was not the original bassist. Isberg added him to replace the existing bassist, which caused the feud. The band had rehearsed and played shows without him before that point.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Sascha Konietzko with KMFDM is there too off the top of my head.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited October 2008
    metallica (james & lars)
    alice cooper
    offspring - dexter holland
    edited October 2008
    Ferocious Q;1384988 said:
    metallica (james & lars)
    For some reason I thought "1 member" meant "1" and not "2". I may be wrong though.

And Mystlyfe, I suppose you're right. My information on that was from wikipedia, which tells nothing of the first days of Opeth. But, I guess he could still count as he has been on all of their released work.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited October 2008
    Technically wouldn't Rush have only one permanent member. ;) Alex Lifeson was the only one in the original group. Geddy Lee would soon replace Jeff Jones and Rutsey only lasted one album but wouldn't Rush still qualify?
    edited October 2008
    Rev0lver;1385007 said:
    For some reason I thought "1 member" meant "1" and not "2". I may be wrong though.
    He's a Slipknot fan, you can't have high standards for him.
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    King Crimson - Robert Fripp

(I think) Boston - Tom Scholz

Blue Cheer - Dickie Peterson

All I can think of as of now.
  • NourezNourez Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    GnR comes to mind at first, and NiN, but Trent Reznor is the ONLY studio member of NiN, the rest are touring members only, so I don't know if that counts.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    oh yeah, Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    I think you can count RHCP, Flea has been in the band the whole time, Kiedis was kicked out once for a couple weeks in the early 80s.
  • GrantRSGrantRS Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Surely you have to take this from sometime like when the band was first signed as opposed to when the band was first formed, as most bands I know of are very vaguely defined to begin with and there's no clear point at which the band becomes the band it is. Otherwise, you have to consider whether The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin are the same band, in which case Page would be the only permanent member (I think).

With Iron Maiden, Dave Murray was in comfortably before the first album was recorded, and I think also before they were signed. Obviously he wasn't in the original line-up, but you have to ask yourself "When did the band become Iron Maiden?" In this case they may have started using the name before Dave was in the band, but the point still remains.

Supposedly Radiohead have never changed their line-up, but does that mean they never jammed or gigged with anyone else before they ended up with the line-up they have? Ok, it's not a perfect example as they had a name change at some point, but you have to ask youself at what point did the band become a band, and is Radiohead the same band as On A Friday just because it has a different name?

Thinking about the name thing, what about bands who change their name just because one member has been replaced? Rage against The Machine with Chris Cornell was called Audioslave, but on moving back to their original vocalist the name Rage Against The Machine was reinstated, does that mean that he's a permanent member?

One unquestionable one though is Rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore)

Iced Earth (Schaffer)

Black Sabbath (Iommi), surely?

Helloween (Weikath)

Motorhead (Lemmy)
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    DarkSide247;1384763 said:
    I believe Steven Tyler was the only members to be in Aerosmith the whole time.

Kramer and Hamilton stuck it out as well but good pick. I had thought Tyler as well and had to double check.

Hmmm this is a tough question. I can come up with several bands with 2 permanent members but to think of bands with just one....Any of the one's I can come up with have already been mentioned. I can only come up with 3 that haven't been mentined.

Bullet Boys - Marq Torien

Warrant - Erik Turner

The Misfits - Jerry Only
  • GrantRSGrantRS Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Oops, just realised I said one of the ones that was in the original post. I don't know why I did that.

Here's two more:
    UFO (Phil Mogg)
    Testament (Eric Peterson)

edit: and another two
    Whitesnake (David Coverdale)
    Reel Big Fish (Aaron Barrett)
  • Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Jethro Tull. Members come and go, but Ian Anderson is constant.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    GrantRS;1387784 said:
    Whitesnake (David Coverdale)
    DOH! Can't beleive I forgot that one:o
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Eels (Mark Everett)

The only other ones I could think of off hand were already mentioned. :p
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    am i the only person here willing to admit they listen to...

bright eyes (conor oberst is the only stable member)!