the official mountain goats thread.

afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
edited October 2008 in History of Rock
i just noticed that john has decided to pull a radiohead with his new EP, so i thought i'd start this thread up for MY FAVORITE BAND EVER with a link...
what better way to bring in new fans to MY FAVORITE BAND EVER than a free 4-song EP?

http://www.mountain-goats.com/

i know there are a few other fans here. lets talk about MY FAVORITE BAND EVER here, guys!

Comments

  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Cool find. I've only got a few songs by em so this is a nice addition.

    -I should really listen to your old blog entry for them, I've never really delved into the before my time stuff-
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    ShiningIdeal;1416604 said:
    Cool find. I've only got a few songs by em so this is a nice addition.

    -I should really listen to your old blog entry for them, I've never really delved into the before my time stuff-
    you'll find that most serious mountain goats fans swear by the old stuff. i personally actually prefer the newer material, but still basically think that almost everything john does is gold.

    but yeah, you should totally check out that older mix (though i could've made it better; i was rushed and don't have all of his stuff in mp3 form). i'll eventually get around to doing a mix for his newer material.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1416653 said:
    I'll check 'em out. :)
    awesome. let me know what you think.

    i just gave the EP a listen. it's pretty good. definitely much lower key than previous material, and that's saying something considering that he's been heading that direction over the last several albums anyhow.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1416667 said:
    awesome. let me know what you think.

    i just gave the EP a listen. it's pretty good. definitely much lower key than previous material, and that's saying something considering that he's been heading that direction over the last several albums anyhow.
    Yeah, it's really soft. I do like it, though. It adds something different to my iTunes library so that if I don't feel like listening to metal, I can calm down. I like having some good relax music.

    I expected with titles like "Satanic Messiah" that it was going to be heavier haha.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1416672 said:
    Yeah, it's really soft. I do like it, though. It adds something different to my iTunes library so that if I don't feel like listening to metal, I can calm down. I like having some good relax music.

    I expected with titles like "Satanic Messiah" that it was going to be heavier haha.
    hehe! yeah, john's a huge extreme metal fan. the last EP had a song about a chick in a marduk t-shirt, and he's made many references to death and black metal in his songs.

    the last time i saw him in nashville i promised i'd do a black metal cover of one of his songs, but i've yet to do anything i feel worthy. if i'm not mistaken, his favorite album of all time is black sabbath - master of reality. :)
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1416679 said:
    hehe! yeah, john's a huge extreme metal fan. the last EP had a song about a chick in a marduk t-shirt, and he's made many references to death and black metal in his songs.

    the last time i saw him in nashville i promised i'd do a black metal cover of one of his songs, but i've yet to do anything i feel worthy. if i'm not mistaken, his favorite album of all time is black sabbath - master of reality. :)
    Haha that's awesome. I wouldn't expect that from a folk rocker.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1416681 said:
    Haha that's awesome. I wouldn't expect that from a folk rocker.
    it's pretty rare.
    in my experience, folk musicians are either as cool as can be, or the exact opposite. perhaps the only genre with even more extreme personalities than metal!
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1416688 said:
    it's pretty rare.
    in my experience, folk musicians are either as cool as can be, or the exact opposite. perhaps the only genre with even more extreme personalities than metal!
    Yeah, I've noticed that as well haha.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    You know - there's really no excuse for me to not own some of this.. damn near shameful in fact.

    Got a recommendation for two or three EP/LPs?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    ShiningIdeal;1416773 said:
    You know - there's really no excuse for me to not own some of this.. damn near shameful in fact.

    Got a recommendation for two or three EP/LPs?
    all hail west texas, tallahassee, and get lonely are probably my three favorites.
  • tofubottofubot Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    nine black poppies is one of the greatest albums in the history of recorded music.

    it's a fact.
Sign In or Register to comment.