Figuring out what's "Not Classy"

Maggot_BrainMaggot_Brain Road Warrior
edited April 2010 in Rock Band
I understand the certain 7 words used in a George Carlin bit can't be used as well as other profanity. That's fine. Now let's figure out some other things.

My wife made a band called "Stinkfoot" in honor of our cat who had an infected cut on his foot. (All fine now!) So, I'm guessing the word "Stink" is the equivalent of $%#& and *&^#$#$ now?

Made a Goth band called "The Hellfire Club." Not classy. Why? Is someone afraid of annoying pyromaniacs? Is someone afraid of religious types burning HMX in effigy? (In hellfire, natch!)

So, people, let's have some examples of band names you tried to use that weren't classy enough for whatever 19th century moralist is in charge of parsing them? (Avoid cussing.)

Comments

• FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited October 2008
    This is an epic post.

You should probably move it to the Microsoft forums or something though, because Harmonix isn't in charge of the filter.
  • RelaubyRelauby Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    I guess this makes sense,but my band "Fart Head" wasn't deemed classy enough.
  • Maggot_BrainMaggot_Brain Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Flawless;1416865 said:
    This is an epic post.

You should probably move it to the Microsoft forums or something though, because Harmonix isn't in charge of the filter.
    I can never tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Didn't know HMX isn't in charge of the filter. So it's the Evil Empire enforcing manners, eh?
    edited October 2008
    Maggot_Brain;1416873 said:
    I can never tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Didn't know HMX isn't in charge of the filter. So it's the Evil Empire enforcing manners, eh?
    Haha, my post was truthful!

Microsoft is the be all and end all of classiness. Henry has come out and said it a bunch of times on here, they don't like catching slack over MS's crazy policy.
  • Maggot_BrainMaggot_Brain Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Alrighty then. Well, at least people can call each other the most vilest names ever invented over Live. Very classy.
  • RelaubyRelauby Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Flawless;1416880 said:
    Haha, my post was truthful!

Microsoft is the be all and end all of classiness. Henry has come out and said it a bunch of times on here, they don't like catching slack over MS's crazy policy.

But isn't Sony doing the same thing? It's not just XBOX Live with restrictions.
    edited October 2008
    Relauby;1416892 said:
    But isn't Sony doing the same thing? It's not just XBOX Live with restrictions.
    ... who said it was, this post is about Live! and Microsoft.

No idea if Sony is doing the same thing, I don't make 'risky' names for my bands.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    Flawless;1416898 said:

No idea if Sony is doing the same thing, I don't make 'risky' names for my bands.
    i always knew you were a mama's boy. :)
  • briciobricio Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    i tried "threat level midnight" and it was deemed as not classy. i also have a character named "prison mike" and he was deemed not classy. so i guess "threat" and "prison" are not very classy words. i have taken note and am in the process of removing them from my vocabulary as i do not want to be percieved as unclassy.
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1416910 said:
    i always knew you were a mama's boy. :)
    You're damn right.
  • HeavyMetalKingHeavyMetalKing Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    As far as I know Sony doesn't have the "classy" filter going...made a band called "The Stoned Monkies" and it allowed it just fine.
  • clinton33clinton33 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    A few words band names that I have used that were not classy:

"Johnny Duechbag"

"I'D %*&^ ME" (can't believe that didn't make it)

"The Clap"

"Bloody Farts"

"Backdoor Love"

"MOM's Dildo"

However "McNasty" did make it....so i'll roll with it.
  • Not_an_AndroidNot_an_Android Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    My friends band was 'No Colors Please'. That's classy.

I can't make a band called 'Sparkle Motion' and cannot figure out why.
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Also of note Jesus is an offensive word and can not be used.

Satan however is perfectly fine and they have no problem with it.
  • BuckoFiveBuckoFive Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Not_an_Android;1417127 said:
    I can't make a band called 'Sparkle Motion' and cannot figure out why.
    The filter doubts your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
  • Not_an_AndroidNot_an_Android Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    BuckoFive;1417153 said:
    The filter doubts your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
    That is a good name. Have you seen Donnie Darko?
  • navaha42navaha42 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    bricio;1416917 said:
    i tried "threat level midnight" and it was deemed as not classy. i also have a character named "prison mike" and he was deemed not classy. so i guess "threat" and "prison" are not very classy words. i have taken note and am in the process of removing them from my vocabulary as i do not want to be percieved as unclassy.
    Actually, if I remember, "Midnight" was blocked in someone else's band name, so it's probably midnight, not threat, that got it blocked.
  • edited October 2008
    Go to the online leaderboards on the site and you'll see these names and more on the PS3 rankings...

Lesbian Piledriver
    The Wang Hangers
    Minotaur Handjob
    Candyass Monkey Suits
    The Slapstick Hookers
    T1tty and the N1pples
    G** Bikers On Acid
    Tyrannosaurus-Sex
    The k**t Smashers (not censored but spelt with a k)

That was just from the first few pages. So it's obviously just Microsoft being so uptight. Still, it might not be a bad thing, half of those band names i just listed should probably be denied, really.
    navaha42;1417169 said:
    Actually, if I remember, "Midnight" was blocked in someone else's band name, so it's probably midnight, not threat, that got it blocked.
    Has anyone tried writing just Night, or just 'Nig'? Could be the reason for being denied.
  • TheGodFather73TheGodFather73 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I made a character named "Sarah Barracuda" which was deemed not classy either.

This was even before I put the pig mask and messy lipstick on her also.

I think Microsoft got this one right.
  • ShashakiroShashakiro Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    "Tech House" wasn't allowed, for reasons I can't even imagine (it's the name of a program house at Brown University, how in the world could it be offensive?). Upon further investigation, I discovered that "Tech" is not considered "classy".

Who the hell comes up with these? Are they browsing urbandictionary and censoring every single word that anyone has put a jokingly inappropriate definition for or what? >_>
  • bassHerobassHero Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    The Poops. Yeah, its extremely vulgar, sorry for even mentioning it.
  • VEINERSHINIZLEVEINERSHINIZLE Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Barack Obama is not classy lol
  • HerrSchwarzHerrSchwarz Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Barack and Barracuda both have Bar in them.....this is the trigger for those, I bet
  • Lamhirh_of_the_StarsLamhirh_of_the_Stars Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    In RockBand 1, my band name "Aoi Tori" was not classy. Any ideas for that one..?

It's just "bluebird" in Japanese. Other Japanese (for instance, Donyoku Matsuri) works fine, so I couldn't figure this one out.
  • ShashakiroShashakiro Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Now I'm really curious how many in-game real band names would be censored by Microsoft for online play.

>_>
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited October 2008
    Lamhirh_of_the_Stars;1417550 said:
    In RockBand 1, my band name "Aoi Tori" was not classy. Any ideas for that one..?

It's just "bluebird" in Japanese. Other Japanese (for instance, Donyoku Matsuri) works fine, so I couldn't figure this one out.
    Eijita Hoshiakari is considered safe for the leaderboards so I dunno.

(My solo drumming band if anyone cares - it means "reflected starlight" in Japanese.)
  • VigorousjammerVigorousjammer Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    I tried making a band called "The Midnight Rebellion" and it was deemed not classy...
    apparently they don't want us to overthrow the government with our rock...

oh, and to the posters above me, I think the filter only applies to English, so Aoi Tori might resemble some bad word in English... I can't think of anything it would resemble, but I'm sure M$ has...
  • 1guitarhero41guitarhero4 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    I tried "f*** s*** d***"
    and it wasn't classy.. wtf?
    kidding, my bands name is yeah whateva! at first it was dark legion but that didn't fly..
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Ah no "Hellfire Club?" There goes one of my X-Men related bands.
  • The Hungry SamuraiThe Hungry Samurai Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I know HMX isn't in charge of this filter, but I often wonder if they bitch out whoever is in charge of it. If it is Microsoft do they keep the same draconian restrictions on their XBL gamertag naming conventions?

I must admit some of these things i'm seeing you guys forced out of are pretty damn silly.