Influential Music Acts

GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
edited April 2009 in History of Rock
Influential Music Acts, from my perspective (most important are mentioned first).

1. Django Reinhardt, for the reasons of influencing complete arts of guitar composition which many rock and metal acts (especially metal) took highly into their guitar construction.

2. Kraftwerk, for constructing electronic music which at the time was merely avant-garde music and forwarding it to a pop styling, which in turn would inspire a entire decade of electronic-influenced pop music: (the 1980s).

3. Muddy Waters / John Lee Hooker, for pioneering their respective fields of blues and taking it to the next direction which would in turn inspire the first rockabilly acts like Chuck Berry.

4. Pixies, for taking their unique style and inspiring many bands who directed a entire generation. Bands such as Modest Mouse, Nirvana, Radiohead, Superchunk and others cite the Pixies as inspiring them and all of these bands are (or will, except maybe Superchunk) inspiring others, as well.

5. Faith No More, for creating some of the most experimental music for hard rock at the time and pioneering even if they didn't want to a entire culture based off their (and Mr. Bungle's) style.

I only listed 5, but I'm sure the intelligent folks will create some additions that I will agree on. Heheheh. I'm surer we'll have some fair share of debates and arguments, too.

Comments

• Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Jhail83;1419862 said:
    Just throw in John Cusack, Matthew Broderick, and Corey Feldman and stir.
    Don't forget Molly Ringwald as Lead singer/Bassist John "Geddy" Cusack's girlfriend, and Rick Moranis as their bumbling, yet well meaning manager. Add Richard Gere as a hardened record exec who learns to "live again" by the power of Rush!'s music, and you've got the best gosh darn unmade movie of the 80's.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1421003 said:
    Don't forget Molly Ringwald as Lead singer/Bassist John "Geddy" Cusack's girlfriend, and Rick Moranis as their bumbling, yet well meaning manager. Add Richard Gere as a hardened record exec who learns to "live again" by the power of Rush!'s music, and you've got the best gosh darn unmade movie of the 80's.
    As long as Keifer Sutherland gets to be the "Villain" I'm in!
    edited October 2008
    Jhail83;1421281 said:
    As long as Keifer Sutherland gets to be the "Villain" I'm in!
    Keifer would have to play an evil version of Nash the Slash from FM.
  • MonkeymascotMonkeymascot Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Wishbone Ash - Popularized the idea of two lead guitarists.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Black Sabbath
    The Pixies

Both practically created their respective genres.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1421712 said:
    Keifer would have to play an evil version of Nash the Slash from FM.
    i'm not sure anyone here knows about nash the slash but you and i. :)
  • tofubottofubot Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1421949 said:
    i'm going to make it my duty to find out now.

i'd also like to toss in my love of rites of spring here. since they arguably invented the genre of "emotional hardcore". before it got perverted into sounding like something so distant from what it started as.
    edited October 2008
    tofubot;1422181 said:

i'd also like to toss in my love of rites of spring here. since they arguably invented the genre of "emotional hardcore". before it got perverted into sounding like something so distant from what it started as.
    definitely.
    i almost feel guilty for rarely listening to rites of spring, but i definitely honor their influence on the bands i prefer (think moss icon, not jimmy eat world).
  • tofubottofubot Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    when i pop them on, i always say to myself "why don't i listen to this more?"
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1421949 said:
    LOL what a pity! they could have been rush instead of rush! imagine everyone screaming for a full album dlc of surveillance.

of course, they were just way too weird for american audiences. rush sounds like maroon 5 in comparison.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited October 2008
    Venom is one of the most influential bands ever, so I put them forth in this thread.
    edited October 2008
    i'll throw a few out there while my crappy microwave dinner cooks...

ornette coleman: saxophone will never be the same.

john fahey: acoustic guitar will never be the same.

steve reich: simplicity will never be the same.
    edited October 2008
    Also, I want to throw Earth out there. They really changed the face of music, though not many people know it, unfortunately.
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1422597 said:
    Also, I want to throw Earth out there. They really changed the face of music, though not many people know it, unfortunately.
    if more people knew that cobain played with them we'd surely never hear the end of it, though. :)
    edited October 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1422543 said:
    Venom is one of the most influential bands ever, so I put them forth in this thread.
    DAMMIT! I have to reluctantly agree with you. As much as venom is absolutely one of the worst bands ever, they were the first extreme metal band ever, and inspired a lot of really good bands. Almost every one of those bands is better than Venom.

God Venom sucks.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited October 2008
    I'm still ticked they pulled out of the SunnO))) show they were supposed to be playing at later this week in Philly.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited October 2008
    I'm supprised no one mentioned The Beatles. Influenced everything that came after them, from Rap to Punk to Metal to New Wave to Alternative to Boy Bands to those so-called "Fake Wikipedia genres", they have to be the most influentail, directly or inderectly, band of all time.

But mabye stating their influence is overdone, thus why I'm the first.
    edited October 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1422811 said:
    I'm supprised no one mentioned The Beatles. Influenced everything that came after them, from Rap to Punk to Metal to New Wave to Alternative to Boy Bands to those so-called "Fake Wikipedia genres", they have to be the most influentail, directly or inderectly, band of all time.

But mabye stating their influence is overdone, thus why I'm the first.
    yeah, i think a lot of us are trying to call attention to acts that you don't see on every list...
    but yes, of course the beatles are insanely influential.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    They had a free show at a university that I was looking forward to, but couldn't go. :(

Anyways:
    King Crimson
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    i would have to say the police and the shins
    edited October 2008
    neckermanncj;1423031 said:
    i would have to say the police and the shins
    who would you say the shins have influenced?
    edited October 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1422654 said:
    DAMMIT! I have to reluctantly agree with you. As much as venom is absolutely one of the worst bands ever, they were the first extreme metal band ever, and inspired a lot of really good bands. Almost every one of those bands is better than Venom.

God Venom sucks.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Whiffle angry.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1422965 said:
    yeah, i think a lot of us are trying to call attention to acts that you don't see on every list...
    but yes, of course the beatles are insanely influential.
    Not as influential as he mentioned, however. Soul/Funk inspired Hip-Hop solely. Not the Beatles. Not at all.

I really don't think he knows what he is talking about half of the time. >>
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to say Bauhaus.
    edited October 2008
    Gowienczyk;1423361 said:
    Not as influential as he mentioned, however. Soul/Funk inspired Hip-Hop solely. Not the Beatles. Not at all.

i was literally baffled as to why you were bringing hip-hop until i read back over his post! :)
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1423396 said:
    i was literally baffled as to why you were bringing hip-hop until i read back over his post! :)
    I know right?
    edited October 2008
    Well I read somewhere (NOT WIKI) that Public Enemy and De La Soul were influenced by John, Paul, George, and Ringo. They could have been wrong, but that doesn't mean that The Beatles aren't influential.
    edited October 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1423468 said:
    Well I read somewhere (NOT WIKI) that Public Enemy and De La Soul were influenced by John, Paul, George, and Ringo. They could have been wrong, but that doesn't mean that The Beatles aren't influential.
    The Beatles are influential, but not to the degree people like you say.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited October 2008
    Gowienczyk;1423361 said:

half of the time?
    DarkSide247;1422981 said:

Anyways:
    King Crimson
    definitely, them, The Nice, & Iron Butterfly basically invented progressive rock

on that page:
    Uriah Heep - the first Progressive Metal group, without them Dream Theater and Symphony X might have never existed
    edited October 2008
    Geez a21, just put me on your ignore list and forget I even exist.