About the whole "breaking the street date" thing...

edited October 2008 in Rock Band
Is anyone having any luck? Like real luck, not I'm best friends with the store manager luck? I stopped in Walmart yesterday looking for the 360 bundle and was told they had it in the back but they wouldn't sell it until the release date. Figured if this Walmart had it then the one down the street from the new Walmart they're building would have it. (No joke, I could almost give directions consisting entirely of turn at the Walmart and go down to the next Walmart)
So I get there, ask the same question and am met with almost the same response. So this tells me that there's some kind of indication on the box that says do not sell and I think we can count Walmart out.

Anyone else had any luck?

Comments

• the_othe_o Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    In this age of computers I doubt you will get anyone to sell you the game early. The computers will tell the registers not to sell the game, they will track who logged in to sell the game, etc. A lucky few will succceed, but probably not you. sorry.
  • ironman126ironman126 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Just because the guy you asked today can read, don't expect the guy tomorrow to be literate. If there is anything I've learned from this world it's more then half the population is stupid enough to ignore the big orange lettering on the side of most shipping boxes that usually says "DO NOT SELL UNTIL 10/22/08" or something to the effect. Best advise is go in every day and every time you see a different person working ask. Eventually it will seem like you have Jedi mind powers once you can pin point the stupid employees to ask.
    edited October 2008
    ironman126;1420473 said:
    Just because the guy you asked today can read, don't expect the guy tomorrow to be literate. If there is anything I've learned from this world it's more then half the population is stupid enough to ignore the big orange lettering on the side of most shipping boxes that usually says "DO NOT SELL UNTIL 10/22/08" or something to the effect. Best advise is go in every day and every time you see a different person working ask. Eventually it will seem like you have Jedi mind powers once you can pin point the stupid employees to ask.
    I think I did find the stupid one though. This guy was trying to convince me to get the GHWT bundle for "only $190" as if the RB2 bundle was more expensive. He was somehow convinced that the instruments hadn't changed a thing. I didn't get into it with him though, I usually play the dumb consumer when I go fishing for broken street dates.
  • illgreenillgreen Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Dirt mall, it's the way to go! Better chances there than most other places...
  • rylinrylin Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I think I did find the stupid one though. This guy was trying to convince me to get the GHWT bundle for "only $190" as if the RB2 bundle was more expensive. He was somehow convinced that the instruments hadn't changed a thing. I didn't get into it with him though, I usually play the dumb consumer when I go fishing for broken street dates.
    You should have had him give you a GHWT bundle then and sell it on ebay.
  • jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited October 2008
  • greenyfortehwingreenyfortehwin Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Is anyone having any luck? Like real luck, not I'm best friends with the store manager luck? I stopped in Walmart yesterday looking for the 360 bundle and was told they had it in the back but they wouldn't sell it until the release date. Figured if this Walmart had it then the one down the street from the new Walmart they're building would have it. (No joke, I could almost give directions consisting entirely of turn at the Walmart and go down to the next Walmart)
    So I get there, ask the same question and am met with almost the same response. So this tells me that there's some kind of indication on the box that says do not sell and I think we can count Walmart out.

Anyone else had any luck?

get a job at walmart, sell a friend the game, get fired, go play rb2
  • cujo473cujo473 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Now that sounds like a plan. LOL
  • AartoxAartox Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    What I find interesting is that once the street date has been broken, stores don't go out and sell it anyway. The whole idea of a street date is to avoid giving some stores an advantage in sales based upon their proximity to the distribution site.

Previously, it used to be quite standard policy that once a street date was broken, everyone was allowed to sell--otherwise, the stores adhering to the rules get doubly screwed. I remember we ended up selling Diablo II 2 days before release because some store in Podunk, B.C. put it out early.
  • SpechtSpecht Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    The day my Wal-Mart sold GH2 a week early was the happiest day of my life...
    edited October 2008
    rylin;1420528 said:
    You should have had him give you a GHWT bundle then and sell it on ebay.
    I so would have, but he was just talking about when they got it in :(
  • chimaira546chimaira546 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    You should try blockbuster they seem to not care about street dates. I bought my copy of RB2 from there 3 days early
  • abubacarabubacar Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    what exactly are you guys trying to get?
  • rylinrylin Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    abubacar;1421155 said:
    what exactly are you guys trying to get?
    RB2 for the PS3.
    Kind of obvious, isn't it?
  • Liger_TrainerLiger_Trainer Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    @Avatar_Ko - I thought you were in Mont. Village. Are you going to the one in Germantown? If so, where are they building another Walmart? I wish they would level the one in Germantown and rebuild a new one...
  • Ac/Dc1974Ac/Dc1974 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    The other day i was at Walmart in Pekin Illinois and they had RB2 360 bundles out on shelves for 189.99. I observed that the box seems to be smaller than the RB1 box but it looks longer. I just went back yesterday and they weren't out anymore. I really don care because i have to wait for the PS3 version anyway
    edited October 2008
    Liger_Trainer;1421187 said:
    @Avatar_Ko - I thought you were in Mont. Village. Are you going to the one in Germantown? If so, where are they building another Walmart? I wish they would level the one in Germantown and rebuild a new one...
    Lol I was visiting my parents this weekend north of Philly. The Walmarts in the Levittown area are much nicer than the one in Germantown. That place is disgusting, thank god Target is right next to it.

Anyways I was kinda pissed off so I gave up and let my little brother borrow my 360 until I get back home next weekend. (He got addicted to Burnout Paradise real quick) I'll probably stalk the Germantown shopping center before I head home though and I'll definitely hit the two Walmarts in Levittown if all else fails.

Oh well, there's always Whitlow's tomorrow night!

@abubacar: I'm on the market for the 360 bundle.
  • Liger_TrainerLiger_Trainer Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Lol I was visiting my parents this weekend north of Philly. The Walmarts in the Levittown area are much nicer than the one in Germantown.
    Wow - My parents are from Phoenixville (I was born there) - about an hour west of Levittown but about equidistant from Philly...
    edited October 2008
    Liger_Trainer;1421287 said:
    Wow - My parents are from Phoenixville (I was born there) - about an hour west of Levittown but about equidistant from Philly...
    Small world. I worked in Norristown for about a year and a half. :)