Post your thoughts on the 20 additional song list (pack or individual songs)

naki5naki5 Unsigned
edited October 2008 in Rock Band
I am making this poll in light that not everyone is thrilled about the songs choices for the 20 songs not part of the RB2 disk (I do grant that some are)

Comments

• deevineh8treddeevineh8tred Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    naki5;1465682 said:
    I am making this poll in light that not everyone is thrilled about the songs choices for the 20 songs not part of the RB2 disk (I do grant that some are)
    oh my god!!! Between the Buried and Me!!!!! Hell Yes!!!! Great song choice too
  • xXNinJaxXNinJa Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    I don't mind, at least they are free, and thats enough for me not to care. New music equals new music horizons for me.
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I voted for "whole pack"... though maybe I'm biased because I have a feeling that's the way that PS3'ers will end up getting it, regardless of whether or not we actually want all of those songs.

I haven't listened to all of them, but I'm pretty open to most music, so I probably won't mind them.
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I think it should be a pack that allows you delete songs after you download. It'll kind of force people to step outside their boundaries music wise.
  • SatoshiSatoshi Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    They're free so.. I'm downloading them all.. plus I haven't heard any of those groups before so it will be nice to here some more music :)
  • SaikouMenjiSaikouMenji Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    I'm also on the whole "they're free so I don't mind" trip. I like variety but some of the songs aren't all that great. Also, the Visuvius song is free and I still refuse to download it. Sorry. Just don't like it.
  • MagumiMagumi Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to get them all i mean come on, they are free, but i would have gladly paid for X Japan
  • il_postinoil_postino Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I want the ability to delete anything I end up not liking from by box. After all, wouldn't want a song I really can't stand popping up in a random setlist.
  • naki5naki5 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I've listened to the whole list and wasn't impressed.

Personally, I thought the RB1 bonus songs were far better in my opinion (I'm aware that some may disagree with me)

I've only was greatly impressed by X Japan's song and thought that the following 3 band's songs were pretty good

* Lesley Roy - "I'm Gone, I'm Going"
    * Opiate for the Masses - "Burn You Down"
    * Tickle Me Pink - "The Time Is Wrong"

So for me, being stuck listening to the other 16 songs that didn't spark any interest on random set lists. I would not be too thrilled, so picking an choosing songs would be great for me (one time thing of course)
  • kevuwkkevuwk Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    i went for the whole pack and delete after your get them, never heard of any of the bands, will listen to the songs when i get chance but from other peoples reactions, it looks like most will be deleted after 1 play
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I badly want one song ("Ashes to Fire") and would download about 10 others if I could choose.

That said, I'll be very annoyed if it's all or nothing and will probably end up passing.
  • silentragedysilentragedy Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    well im stoked for the cab uo(my fav band) and btbam. i gotta check out the others
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I am indifferent. I'll download them all, being as they are free.
  • rylinrylin Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty interested in at least half the songs on the list.
    I'm also of a mind that people should give all kinds of music a try.

I've tried listening to all kinds of Metal, but I find myself liking very little of it -- but at least I can say I've given it a try.
    This is why I think it should be an all or nothing approach to this pack.
    If people want to delete individual songs afterwards, that's fine (provided HMX allows us, that is :P).

Listening to new music isn't necessarily a bad thing!
  • rgdraftingrgdrafting Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't secretly hoping for a jaw-dropping list of big-name bands and mega-hits....but I had a pretty good idea that the list we got was what I should expect.

So, i'm not at all disappointed.

Personally, I don't buy the 'it's okay because they were free' defense. To me, they weren't free...these are the bonus tracks that they could have/should have put on the disk. If they were free, then you'd be able to download them without buying RB2. These tracks aren't 'free', they are 'included' with the purchase of RB2.

It's really just a clever marketing idea from HMX/MTV/EA (whichever, I'm not sure). And it actually serves a couple of purposes. First, it leads people to believe that these tracks really are 'free', so they think they are getting something for nothing....win for RB. Secondly, it lures the players that would otherwise be oblivious to the DLC phenomena (a much higher portion then we 'regulars' realize) into downloading content. For many people, this will probably be the first time they realize they can actually download additional content....win for RB.

The downsides are, first, some people were almost definitely (and foolishly) expecting to see [ insert your favorite band here ] included in the 'free' songs....and these people will almost definitely (and foolishly) squeal incessantly about the lack of said bands. Secondly, making people believe they are getting something for nothing will lead them to expect more of the same in the future....and they will eventually squeal like the others.
  • greatrayraygreatrayray Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    What the f*ck has music come to? Underoath? I wouldn't wish that on my enemies.
  • greatrayraygreatrayray Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Still, being free, i'd download the majority. I DID keep the "harmonix" songs from RB1 even though there's nothing special about them (Though i do love that Bang Camaro song)
    edited October 2008
    greatrayray;1465828 said:
    so if you dont like it delete it and move on
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    greatrayray;1465828 said:
    I wouldn't mind them if they didn't literally advertise themselves as christians\

btw X Japan is LITERALLY the Guns 'n Roses of Japan. They are HUUUUUGE over there.
  • rylinrylin Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    rgdrafting;1465824 said:

Personally, I don't buy the 'it's okay because they were free' defense. To me, they weren't free...these are the bonus tracks that they could have/should have put on the disk. If they were free, then you'd be able to download them without buying RB2. These tracks aren't 'free', they are 'included' with the purchase of RB2.
    They're free with purchase for the original buyer.
    If you sell the game, the new owner will not have access to the songs.

That's why I believe they'll be a for-purchase option as well.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I hope I will be able to delete songs I don't like, but so far I don't think I would delete any of them. Once I actually see them in game though, that's a different story.
    edited October 2008
    Vedicardi;1465841 said:
    I wouldn't mind them if they didn't literally advertise themselves as christians\

btw X Japan is LITERALLY the Guns 'n Roses of Japan. They are HUUUUUGE over there.
    thats pretty ****ing closed minded of you and on top of that its an extremley ignorant statement
  • rocketmanpwnsrocketmanpwns Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    I love the list!
    I'm so glad all these bands are new to any music game.
  • AlphaUltimaAlphaUltima Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    i think they should've picked x-japan's obvious classic Silent Jealousy. it makes speed metal look like folk songs.
    edited October 2008
    I think thenewno2 is the only band that's been in Rock Band already.
  • LetheanGrazerLetheanGrazer Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I'm excited that one of my favorite bands is finally on Rock Band...Between the Buried and Me. You either get these guys or you don't. There's gonna be ALOT of "WTF was that?" when people first play it, although, if you are playing the game on hard or expert level you should expect to be thoroughly challenged due to the constant time shifts and epic length. As soon as you begin to sense you are getting into a groove you are thrown right into something else. You're gonna love this or hate it. In any case, kudos to Harmonix for having the balls to put a song like this in their game. The only thing more ballsy would have been to put the entire BTBAM album "COLORS" on the game. The album, conceptually is one giant 65+ minute track.
  • kevuwkkevuwk Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    i must admit, it does seem that rock band added 20 songs quickly after they found out guitar hero would have 86 and to keep the costs down, as they would be free, they went for bands that not many people appear to have heard of and bands that they most likely could get relatively cheaply. i'm not complaining, i just think they could of gone for some more well known bands but credit to them, they are giving us 20 free songs
    edited October 2008
    They announced the 20 Free songs at the same time that they announced the initial 84. Why does everyone seem to think the 20 songs was retaliation to GH4 having 86 songs? Two of the songs are original guitar battles so it doesn't even matter to me.
  • Yeti-LeeYeti-Lee Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Stop saying they are free, you had to PAY for the game to get them and the game cost money. Looking at the list it is clear that other than under0ath they are all bands that nobody would ever purchase(by nobody I mean a very small amount of people would,but they buy all dlc). This was just a lame way for hmx to create more hype about the game and to be honest it worked but now that the list is out I think people who haven't bought the game yet will be turned off from it and will purchase ghwt. At least in ghwt they can make their own tracks and if the "free" tracks on rb2 are being mostly indie bands what difference does it make to them. In fact it is clear that the music editor feature would have been much better to get than these crappy 19 songs(under0ath is good!).
  • naki5naki5 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    True these songs are not free.

These songs do have a larger impact though, since the randomization of RB2 is far greater than RB1 in that I never remember once seeing a bonus song appear on a random setlist.

However, I fear that in RB2 there will be a great chance of seeing Bonus Songs( not erroneously free songs as some have a bad habit of calling them) in our random setlists.

Those with small or no Dlc collections will be having these Bonus Songs appear on their random setlists quite often. If you do not like a majority of these Bonus Songs, you will probably start hating when they appear on your random setlists.

If this is the case, you will be regularly forced to play Bonus Songs that you do not like on random setlists. Previous music genre games such as GH and RB1 never forced you to play Bonus Songs. It was the tamer's option to go into the Bonus Song area to play them.