GHWT Drums MIDI Input + Electronic Kit + RB2??

JorynnRaceJorynnRace Opening Act
edited October 2008 in Rock Band
It is getting really close to the release date of GHWT, and I am blown away by the lack of information that we have about their drums.

They tease us with the ability to plug in any MIDI device, but haven't given us any info about exactly how it works.

I have seen conflicting things as well. Some sites have reported that this feature only works during music creation, and others say both music creation AND game play.

I just want to know if it can be used for RB2, AND HOW it works. (ie. can you program the drums through GHWT, and they have internal memory for the programming? etc..)

Anyone? There has to be someone who knows these answers.

(I would get the midi thing from Bytearts... but it's dang expensive, and I'd still have to do my own soldering job to get it to work with 360.)

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2008
    JorynnRace;1469035 said:
    Anyone? There has to be someone who knows these answers.
    I'm sure there are several people with answers...

You just won't find them on this forum :)
  • JorynnRaceJorynnRace Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Curses... foiled again.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see....
  • skullpitskullpit Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    why not try the GH forums?
  • KamikazeeKamikazee Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    My god this topic makes my head swim... I don't even know where to start. First off I'd like to point out to the Moderator that just because 'GHWT' is in the title of this thread does not mean that the thread should be banished to General. This guy is trying to figure out how to best use an E-kit with Rockband.

OP, I dont have any answers for you but I'll post later with some opinions.
  • luckyjoeyluckyjoey Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Kamikazee;1470587 said:
    My god this topic makes my head swim... I don't even know where to start. First off I'd like to point out to the Moderator that just because 'GHWT' is in the title of this thread does not mean that the thread should be banished to General. This guy is trying to figure out how to best use an E-kit with Rockband.

OP, I dont have any answers for you but I'll post later with some opinions.
    There are many of us with this same question. I wouldn't think the RB community would mind using a GH:WT drumset if it offered the e-drum solution when HMX is not.
    edited October 2008
    First off, I think harmonix dropped the ball with RB2 drums in two ways.

1) By mapping cymbals and pads to the same button. If I hit the green cymbal on my stock RB2 drumkit it causes the green button to fire (not just in game, also at the dashboard). What are the implications? This affects cross-compatibility between games by limiting the total discrete pad inputs to just four. If HMX would have done this differently then the stock RB2 kit with cymbals would potentially work completely and correctly in GHWT or any other music game that is designed for cross-compatibility and has seven or less pad inputs.

2) By giving ION the rights to monopolize the E-kit for RB market. As it stands now, people with e-kits can:
    A) Pay 300 bucks for the ION just for the brain and hope that the pads from their REAL e-kit work well with the ION brain.
    B) Pay some guy 200 bucks to solder up a solution.

Now lets say you got your E-kit working with RB2. Now you wanna play GHWT. The instruments are cross-compatible so it should be no problem, right? Wrong. At best you get to play the dumbed-down/condensed version of the GH charts. At worst it doesn't work properly at all (see http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93312). So you bite the bullet and get the GHWT drums. Only they dont just sell the drums and the game, you have to buy the bundle and throw another plastic guitar under your bed.

This whole situation is a big pile of ****! Now I understand that Activision and HMX have no real incentive to make things completely cross-compatible. That doesn't make this pile of **** smell any better. It just would have been so easy for them to do this right...

As for being able to use your e-kit on RB2 through the GHWT drumset midi port? Well you can probably guess what I think.
  • cokecancokecan Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    My guess is the MIDI port is for the song creator..

If you have a MIDI controller keyboard, writing songs will be a hell of a lot easier with a proper keyboard than a gamepad.
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited October 2008
    They claimed the MIDI port can be used as a extension device which supposedly was able to map your e-kit to the game and allow you to use it. Since nobody with the full bundles has tried this and Scorehero lacked on asking anything about it during their test play we won't know until someone who has a bundle attempts it.
    edited October 2008
    Am I the only one who finds it silly that they would have the brilliant idea of having a MIDI port so you could plug in your e-kit into another plastic drum kit?

MIDI is general obviously, and I stand by them providng it for input to their "sequencer" if you want to call it that. :)

I so would rather work on my real DAW than sit in front of of my Xbox with plastic instruments around me (I know, most MIDI instruments are plastic). Though if we could import MIDI tracks into the game and chart them ourselves, that would be cool.
    edited October 2008
    cokecan;1471049 said:
    My guess is the MIDI port is for the song creator
    I would tend to agree.
    edited October 2008
    Kamikazee;1472815 said:
    I would tend to agree.
    Man I hope so. Sure, it'd be great to have a MIDI port for drummers to plug in a real e-kit...

But then think about this: what's to stop somebody from programming a MIDI sequencer with the note chart for a song and then just hitting 'Play'?

That's right, nothing.

Cheating galore would ensue.
    edited October 2008
    davidshek;1472833 said:
    Yeah, that would definetely make the drumming leaderboards a complete joke. Still, it would have been nice if activision would have said exactly what the midi port was for. It'd be nice to know exactly what the product does before I buy it... Wishful thinking I guess.
  • ddubddub Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    davidshek;1472833 said:
    Man I hope so. Sure, it'd be great to have a MIDI port for drummers to plug in a real e-kit...

But then think about this: what's to stop somebody from programming a MIDI sequencer with the note chart for a song and then just hitting 'Play'?

That's right, nothing.

Right and what is to stop me from doing it right now with my MSA interface?

That's right, nothing.

You have absolutely no guarantee that any score out there is valid. And you know what? It doesn't matter.

(ok, i lied. I have the MSA but I don't have it working yet, but you get the point)

Really, a convenient MIDI interface would, I think, get more people playing the game with their real instruments. Isn't that what Harmonix is working towards? People with real instruments making their own music?
    edited October 2008
    I'm guessing MIDI input functionality will be limited to the song creation mode, but obviously we are all speculating! :)
    edited October 2008
    ddub;1473088 said:
    Right and what is to stop me from doing it right now with my MSA interface?

That's right, nothing.

You have absolutely no guarantee that any score out there is valid. And you know what? It doesn't matter.

(ok, i lied. I have the MSA but I don't have it working yet, but you get the point)
    Right, I know there's a MIDI solution out there for RB1 as well. Which is why I don't pay any attention to the drum leaderboards. The only scores that I believe are real are the ones by the guys who actually post videos of themselves playing where you can see them playing.

The rest could all be fake for all we know.
  • JorynnRaceJorynnRace Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    The more I think about it.. the less I want to shell out for the whole bundle just for some drums that may or may not do what want them to do.

Such decisions... but I guess the decision will be made for me if the bundles sell out before I get a chance to buy one.

Activision really crapped the bed by not having a stand-alone drum kit for sale at launch... but I guess that is probably only from the buyer's perspective, because they'll probably make more on bundles. Unless you consider that they can only have so many bundles stacked up in a store... I'm too lazy to figure out the math on that..