Returning the Stage Kit (my review)

Iceman420Iceman420 Opening Act
edited November 2008 in Rock Band
Ok so I know there is another Stage Kit post, but that was more of a QA about the product. This is just my review/opinion.

Let me start off saying, I seem to buy everything for rock band, as stupid as $300 drums, a bass guitar, and other things seem I have never regretted any of my RB purchases, the estimated $1500 dollars I spent on this game I consider worth it and everything is awesome. Except the stage kit. (which I am will be returning to best buy asap)

So my review...Cool concept, but it is just too much fog and night enough light. I have my own house and a real good sized basement, with plenty of room for RB.

First of all it stinks that with 4 people the light is the singers controller, they have to walk across the room all the time to hit and buttons on it. Also, normally we rotate instruments and the singer picks the songs. This is not possible because where the light is set up, is not near the singer.

Secondly, the fog is annoying. It’s kind of loud when it comes out, it comes out all the time, and it doesn't smell that great(not horrible, but not cool). I know there is a option to turn it off or turn it down, but without a heavy cloud of fog the light is useless(see below). Also the 2-3 hours we played last night used up a lot of the fog juice (about 1/3rd of the thing that came with it). I don’t know how much new juice cost, but it says you can’t just use any juice. I don’t know how true that is, but I can see tearing through this often.

Third, the light is not enough. Without a heavy heavy cloud of fog the light did not spread out to much of the room at all(and we had all lights out). All the effects it did were really cool, and really went with the songs well, but it just was not enough light. It left you felling like you had to stand right on top or in front of it to experience it.

The good...the strobe light part of the fog machine works great. When that kicked on it was cool. Towards the end of songs it all was pretty cool, but that was only after there was so much fog in the room that the light was more noticeable.

Also Having this actually seemed to distract everyone’s playing. A group of Hard/Expert players failed way more than normal.

For party purposes, I can’t see anyone not in the middle of playing the game want to be in the room when this thing is on. We constantly needed to take breaks just to get out of the basement because it was too much. Also a day later there is an order in the basement. Right now, as I type this, my buddy just walked down stairs and said "it smells down here"

We all said this would be cooler if there was like a light in front or near each player(total of 4 lights), and less fog.

Additionally I can’t see anyone having this with the fog turned on in their dorm room or parents house. And without the fog turned on (sorry to say this again) the light is pointless

Comments

• Iceman420Iceman420 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    KaYotiX;1482790 said:
    Your basement prolly smells becasue of the moisture, not the fog machine. Ours used to till we got a de-humidifyer (sucks out the moisture in the air) and thats what makes it smell "musty"
    I do have good ventilation, its not like a basement basement(meaning all underground) I just opened up some of the windows. Should be cool in a hour.

The smell was not my real complaint with this product.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    i've always liked the smell that fog-machines emit. :)
  • NiledeltadiscoNiledeltadisco Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Now that everyone has the smell jokes out of the way.

ALL fog machines have a strange smell, even the ones that use a water-based fluid. It's just something you have to deal with. (I never once gave the stage kit consideration because of that one simple fact - I don't want that thing stinking up my house!)
  • 0x115e0x115e Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    It's really strange that the fog machine outputs so much. They must have the fog cues in the game running overtime to attempt compensating for such a tiny fog machine. I also find that it goes through fog so quick to be strange.

Also, all fog machines say "only use our fog juice." They're lying. As long as you match water-based or oil-based, you're fine. I know this doesn't change anything in your situation, but someone else may find it useful.

It's also odd that you found the fog smell so offensive. I wonder if they included some really crap fog juice. I rather like the smell of my fogger. Also, I've never noticed a smell the next day ... that's really strange.

Thanks for posting. I may still get this, but it's likely I'd be using the fogger I have already, with other fog fluid.
  • drterbdrterb Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    On long sets there is definitely too much fog. It appears that the fog machine is not setlist "aware" and just keeps pumping out fog even though you don't need anymore.

There is a separate fog switch so you could only turn off the fog and leave the lights and strobe on, but it might get annoying to turn it off and on after every two or three songs.

So far I'm loving this thing!!
  • edited October 2008
    Iceman420;1482737 said:
    Hahaha dont have any pets, so that can’t be it. Like I said it not that bad of a odor, maybe just like musty

Not sure what the demographic would be. I am 26 with disposable income, I love RB, and have plenty of space to set this up. I don’t know who this is marketed towards then.
    It's funny to see someone like Flawless comment on target demographics :p Don't worry man, we don't take his expertise seriously around here. At all. Like the forum equivalent of the Onion.

Mid 20s, home owner, disposable income. You *ARE* the target demographic. Possibly the only demographic, seeing as a renter can't disable their own fire alarms and has to worry more about neighbors. Younger people have to worry about parents (and don't have permission to futz with smoke detectors and older people have kids or breathing problems and probably could stand it even less.

That being said, it was a great review and gave me a very good idea of what to expect. The fog running continuously and the machine taking a controller spot is not acceptable to me.

Had they made the machine adjustable via controller and only turned on the fog at certain key times (i.e. Overdrive or during an epic moment of a song) it would be a must have item.

Seems this actually wouldn't be hard to program for a future update, so it's something for me to think about for the future!
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited October 2008
    My cat pissed on my fog machine.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Hmm bummer about the controller. I always use the green button for percussion when I'm on vocals.
    Sounds like that would be totally impractical with this setup. I don't like hitting the mic.
    edited October 2008
    DethBoxx;1483609 said:
    Hmm bummer about the controller. I always use the green button for percussion when I'm on vocals.
    Sounds like that would be totally impractical with this setup. I don't like hitting the mic.
    Yea this is really a problem. I did not test if it works differently with 3 players though.
  • princeofcups777princeofcups777 Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Iceman420;1482716 said:

Third, the light is not enough. Without a heavy heavy cloud of fog the light did not spread out to much of the room at all(and we had all lights out). All the effects it did were really cool, and really went with the songs well, but it just was not enough light. It left you felling like you had to stand right on top or in front of it to experience it.
    How about a sound sensitive light show device, like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-Dance-Floor-MYSTIQUE-MUSHROOM-Light-DJ-KJ-BANDS_W0QQitemZ370103421414QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370103421414&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

A little more expensive, but if you've already spent $1500, what's another $120. :-)
    edited October 2008
    drterb;1483227 said:
    On long sets there is definitely too much fog. It appears that the fog machine is not setlist "aware" and just keeps pumping out fog even though you don't need anymore.
    I'd be really disappointed if it's like this, i.e., just keeps blasting out fog through the whole song. There's no excuse for that. If they can cue the strobe, they can cue the fog. I've always thought it was the coolest when my fog machine just randomly leaks fog during a quiet part of the song. That little "ssss" sound adds to the atmosphere nicely when it's timed right. :)
    princeofcups777;1491338 said:
    How about a sound sensitive light show device, like this?
    I'd recommend against A.) running a 600W halogen light in your house and B.) that specific light. That one has to be on 10 minutes / off 10 minutes. Instead, I'd recommend something like the ADJ Rover LED or Reflex LED (basically 2x Rover LEDs in one box). The Rover isn't much more expensive, can run all night, and would be a better effect in general, IMO.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited October 2008
    DethBoxx;1483609 said:
    Get the hell out of here! You can actually use a controller button for percussion on vocals? I honestly did not know that. My daughter's red hand thanks you.
  • DzhokharDzhokhar Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    bigmf;1491853 said:
    Get the hell out of here! You can actually use a controller button for percussion on vocals? I honestly did not know that. My daughter's red hand thanks you.
    In related news:
    -You only need to tap the microphone lightly to trigger the tambourine parts (you could do it with the tip of one finger if you wanted).
    -You can actually trigger the tambourine parts by making clicking noises into the microphone.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited October 2008
    I knew those things, but My daughter won't listen.
  • MariusMarius Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I was planning on mounting the light on the ceiling, it doesn't sound like this is feasible because you have to use it as the singers controller?

Where are people positioning this thing so it is accessible?
  • DzhokharDzhokhar Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    bigmf;1491994 said:
    I knew those things, but My daughter won't listen.
    Just checking. I know how kids are and wouldn't be overly surprised if the controller revelation doesn't change anything either. Good luck though.
    edited October 2008
    Marius;1492019 said:
    I was planning on mounting the light on the ceiling, it doesn't sound like this is feasible because you have to use it as the singers controller?

Where are people positioning this thing so it is accessible?

I tried it different ways...on the floor angled at the band, on the floor in the middle, on the tv stand angled and laying flat, with the magnifier up and down. It made differences, nothing was eneough though.

On the ceiling would be great, but the cord is only two feet and needs to attach to the fog part, so they cant really be far from one another. Also, you need to hit the buttons to navigate as a singer.
  • drterbdrterb Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    0x115e;1491806 said:
    I'd be really disappointed if it's like this, i.e., just keeps blasting out fog through the whole song. There's no excuse for that. If they can cue the strobe, they can cue the fog. I've always thought it was the coolest when my fog machine just randomly leaks fog during a quiet part of the song. That little "ssss" sound adds to the atmosphere nicely when it's timed right. :)
    The fog is definitely cued and varies per song, but there are a few songs that use a lot of fog (i.e. More Than a Feeling). If you get a few long songs in a set and several of them use a lot of fog, then the fog can get overwhelming. Nextonex suggested using a 50/50 mix of fog juice and distilled (HAS TO BE DISTILLED) water. He said it thins out the fog and reduces the density of the fog in the air. I haven't tried this yet, but I will once my first batch of fog runs out.
  • naeandpetenaeandpete Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the review. I'm thinking about getting it but there's a few things I want to get first. Maybe next year. . .
    edited October 2008
    drterb;1492215 said:
    The fog is definitely cued and varies per song, but there are a few songs that use a lot of fog (i.e. More Than a Feeling).
    Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
    Nextonex suggested using a 50/50 mix of fog juice and distilled (HAS TO BE DISTILLED) water. He said it thins out the fog and reduces the density of the fog in the air.
    Yeah, I've heard of that trick. Not with 50/50, but I have heard of diluting the fog juice with distilled water. It's supposed to be a trick to turn your fogger into a pseudo-hazer, increase the fog hang time, etc. I'd be careful diluting it though, because if you go too far with it, you end up with a steam machine instead of a fog machine. ;)
  • stonicusstonicus Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Mmm. Do you think the stage kit can be modded to enhance the effects? It'd be great.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Dzhokhar;1491873 said:
    In related news:
    -You only need to tap the microphone lightly to trigger the tambourine parts (you could do it with the tip of one finger if you wanted).
    -You can actually trigger the tambourine parts by making clicking noises into the microphone.

You can do those things (and I do the clicking noises one when on drums or guitar plus vox) but they aren't consistent enough. If you are going for a high score on expert the controller button is the only 100% reliable option in my experience.
  • HockeyabeHockeyabe Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    I really like the Stage kit. I can also say the OP has some very valid points. My group and I do not often rely on the singers controller, so that doesn't bother us.

The fog can be a bit overwhelming, I kind of like it as I used to dj in hazy nightclubs. I used the RB juice included, and it was ok. When it ran out, I switched to 70% juice from party city/ 30% distilled water. TOO MUCH! I think 60 40 is the sweet spot, but Im sure it varies based on the brand.

As the OP said, the LEDs are virtually useless without fog, so I certainly would not recommend it to anyone with the intention of using just the LED and Strobe.

I think that what the LED does is fantastic, and I am curious if you could run 2 LEDs to add to it. Then you would be forced to use all wireless instruments, though, as you cannot plug the LED into the RB hub. I thought the 360 had 2 more USB ports on the back, but mine does not.

So bottom line: Got a basement? been to a nightclub with fog? not bothered by the smoke? Want the closest thing to a Pink Floyd show you can get without the Pink Floyd music? Dont mind having limited controls for the vocalist? Get it!

On the other hand, If you live with parents, in an apartment or dorm, dont like the smoke, need a controller, or are distracted, pass.
  • edited November 2008
    Good points of view.

I had no idea it HAD to be the vocal controller?

At least with the PS3 version you "should" be able to override this via hotswapping the controllers assignments. That is of course a W.A.G.
  • ZenweaponryZenweaponry Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't get one, but its whole intent and purpose is to improve the atmosphere, not the gameplay.
  • CXKCXK Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    I got some good fog juice (not for the kit, but for my personal fogger) its made by Black Label i think, i fogged an entire warehouse (not huge) with high ceilings in less than 2 minutes and hung around for 20 minutes.
  • pfunk1978pfunk1978 Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    i have been really looking forward to getting this...now i am not as sure...just on atmosphere for parties do you guys think it is worth the money
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited November 2008
    I didn't care for the smell , but then I saw you could by scented Fog juice (like strawberry!) so I'm looking forward to trying that.
  • shadow_phantomshadow_phantom Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    pfunk1978;1570530 said:
    i have been really looking forward to getting this...now i am not as sure...just on atmosphere for parties do you guys think it is worth the money

It is definitely worth it. If you have parties it is a blast. I do have to turn the fogger on and off a few times to keep it from getting to crazy. We use it all the time.

I also bought a rotating disco ball from Spencers. It was $19.99. Plug it in and it spins different colors across the room. Looks really cool in the fog.

I would buy it and try it out. If you don't like it take it back.