I played both RB2 and GHWT today...

LambeauleapLambeauleap Unsigned
edited October 2008 in Rock Band
BEFORE YOU READ: If your looking for extreme detail of GHWT, this isn't a good place to find it (Cause I'm sure you'll be looking for some flaws you RB fanboys, no offence) . I didn't have enough time to really play either.

Best Buy had GHWT and RB2 demo out so I got a chance to play both.

I played guitar on both games and Livin on a prayer both games.

Overall, Both are VERY exceptional games.

I can't really go into detail with WT (or RB2 but I'm guessing most of you have played it O.o)
cause I didn't have much time to play either.

GUITAR: The new WT guitar is very nice.
The neck is pretty much the same, but the strum bar is pretty nice.
But the wammy bar was pretty messed up for me (But I wammy differently than most people O_o)
I give the edge to WT in this one

CHARTS: But, just like GH3, WT has its share of overrcharting (damn)
RB2 kills in charts

I would've played the drums but for both games they didn't have the foot pedal out.
I have to give RB the edge in drums cause they're the only set I've played.

And I'm NOT singing in a public place (When I'm sober)

Overall, of what I played, I give WT an 8.5/10, and RB2 9.5/10 (If that strum bar wasn't so weird I'd give it a 10/10)

Good job Harmonix. Once again you've created another kick ass game.

Good job Neversoft. Your starting to come around. Good rebound from GH3 (I don't really count GHA, but GHA was ok I guess.)

Comments

• FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited October 2008
    I'm really not sure I can get over the animations and graphics of Guitar Hero.

But people are being more positive on the whole about it, might have to rent it after all.
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    So does the strum bar for the new guitar feel any better? Im wondering cuz I wanna know if I will wind up buying GHWT with or without a guitar or the standalone RB2 Guitar
  • cromartie90000cromartie90000 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Flawless;1484500 said:

But people are being more positive on the whole about it, might have to rent it after all.
    From what I've seen it looks like it's mimicking RB, visuals-wise.
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    rollnstns;1484494 said:
    Nice reply. Why even waste your time with this sad reply? It's a Saturday night and you could be out with a girl.... wait a minute...

Nevermind.
    Nice point, but what's your story? You just quoted a guy and followed it with a useless post too. Just so I don't do the same, here's my actual post.

I don't expect much from GHWT. Rock Band will (most likely) be better. I think your review is fair.
  • ZenweaponryZenweaponry Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    The only thing I really want GH:WT for is that song editor. I know most people will make crap, but I trust in other musicians to make good songs and I'm quite certain that I can make something fun to play... even if the sounds won't be what I want.
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Zenweaponry;1484600 said:
    The only thing I really want GH:WT for is that song editor. I know most people will make crap, but I trust in other musicians to make good songs and I'm quite certain that I can make something fun to play... even if the sounds won't be what I want.
    there's a pretty fun Zelda theme floatin around on GHtunes already
  • raydenbladeraydenblade Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Nice review, even though it was quick, I think RB 2 is a solid game, but to me, it did not bring out the extra "extras" that GH:WT seems to offer. That being said, I never played the game, and it could be total crap.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Rock Band 2, but it seems like the feature of GH:WT's song creater overshadows all of the new concepts RB 2 had. I am not saying anything about music wise, because we all know that right now RB has the best list :)

I think in the end, we will all win whether we pick one or the other :)
  • peachtosser25peachtosser25 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Flawless;1484500 said:

this sucks, because the place i normally rent my games from "doesnt rent it because it has too much destructive potential".
    basically, they dont wanna cuz theres too much stuff that the game doesnt work without.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    One thing GHWT still needs is a good camera system. It just goes around doing its own thing, but RB's has little touches like showing the guitarist high-fiving the crowd while he's not playing and going around the drummer during an intense part.
  • Not_an_AndroidNot_an_Android Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Rock Band guitar is good. Guitar Hero is too hard and almost unfun.
    Guitar Hero drums are good. Rock Band's are too hard on visions, impossible.
    Rock Band has accurate vocals and Guitar Hero vocals are easy and fun.
  • hankchillhankchill Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    I've played through the majority of the songs in GH:WT and I have to say that there is much, much less overcharting than in Guitar Hero 3. I think there was only 2 songs that I was like "wtf why am I playing these invisible notes?" but all in all the charts are definitely a step up and more enjoyable.

The animation though is still very robotic but I guess that's kind of the style that Guitar Hero has leaned towards -- the cartoony robotic look. At the beginning of every song, when the drummer clicks his/her sticks together to set the beat, it just looks terrible :) It's fun to see all of the different stars in the game though (like Ted Nugent, Sting, Ozzy, Zakk Wylde, etc) And the guitar battles have definitely improved by taking out those stupid battle gems, but the battles aren't perfect. If the rock meter gets to his side, he wins, but if you get it to your side, nothing happens and you have to keep on playing the whole song; it's just a survival game.

Another thing I thought was really cool is the ability to create my own custom instruments. I have a kickass guitar made from some different parts I felt looked cool, instead of buying a pre-determined already known guitar model.

I think the only thing that both Rock Band and Guitar Hero completely failed on is incorporating the downloadable content into the tour mode. Saying "RB2 has the Challenges" is a load of bull because while the challenges reflect the DLC you have by bundling up songs from the same band and calling it a challenge, the challenges are useless to play and offers no reward/reason to play them. 40 songs played for $1000 in challenges? No thanks. Play 6 songs for $8000 in Tour mode? Definitely. It's a flawed system. Battle of the Bands is also useless as a single player, which leaves me only Tour and Quick Play (and we all know there's no reason to do Quick Play).

For a single player experience Guitar Hero has brought to the table a few extra things to keep us going;
    1) Actual progress tracking (so we can see our score *AND* stars in the song select screen)
    2) Limitless expandability with GHMix and GHTunes (as a single player, I will use GHMix a lot since I'm by myself and not making anyone else wait for me)
    3) The ability to play a *single* song still and earn cash for it
    4) Quite a few better songs than what is bundled with Rock Band 2 (especially those 20 free songs, ewww)

I think as a whole, Guitar Hero: WT is great for a side experience if you feel like you want to take a break from Rock Band, but ultimately I think Rock Band will be my choice only because I'm a fan of the following:
    1) You don't need 100% to gold star songs, you just gotta play really awesome
    2) You can see your star progress on the songs
    3) Better overdrive meter (don't have to look off to the side for it)
    4) Solo sections -- They make it feel like it's "Your Turn to Rock" and get a bonus for it.

Now we'll just have to see where Activision goes in regards to downloadable content. I have no doubts they're going to license some pretty big names so we can expect some heavy competition from them, but I don't think I would pay for a single song for Guitar Hero as I would only use it for a single player experience; if I'm going to buy songs I want to get the most out of them and use them for the better multiplayer game (Rock Band 2)... Harmonix just needs to realize that if they want to rake in the cash, they need to start licensing some more big names. That's how it works in the real world, you spend money to make money, so give the people what they want. That's probably how Activision is going to do it (Heck, with Hendrix, Van Halen, the Eagles, Ozzy, etc in Guitar Hero, that's an insta-buy for me!) and they're going to bring in more fans and profit than Harmonix.

Anyways I can go on, but you get my picture ^_^
  • GoshdarnitGoshdarnit Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Yes, I do think that Harmonix still has the edge on gameplay from what I've seen, but they need to be able to attract a broad audience, and to do that they need more big names (and well-known songs from those big names) to draw in the less "hard-core" gamer. I'd hate to see Nevervision Actisoft draw in all the big names before Harmonix can react, and then see the better game lose out because of it. But at the end of the day, competition is no bad thing. Keeps the developers on their toes! :)
  • Phane7Phane7 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I don't like the GHWT guitar. The strum bar is rediculously huge, has a massive dead zone, and the guitar still feels like a toy compared to a Strat. The only improvements that I liked were the massive back button disguised as a pickup/bridge, the strum bar is quieter and makes a less intrusive click, and the fact that it's bigger (the Les Pauls look like Ukelele's to me).
  • chuccckchuccck Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    i was in best buy last night playing GHWT as well, and I have to say i did not enjoy it. The guitar felt like all the worst parts of the strat and lp put together. But mainly i was disappointed with the lay out of the actual game, it felt clunky like my trapper keeper in 6th grade i used for 7 classes. But i only played it for 20 minutes 20. But i know that i won't be rushing to rent it anytime soon.

BTW, i was a guitar hero vet for 1, 2, and 3. Didn't believe in RB till RB2 and i bought it on opening day for the bundle and I am converted.
  • Mister_Rogers69Mister_Rogers69 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Flawless;1484500 said:

I sure as he!! cant, the first devil may cry had better graphics, which I think is sad considering this is 2008. Im not a graphics whore, but god.
  • toMsons1987toMsons1987 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    I hate when people put peripherals into the decisions on what game is better and their overall score. Do you understand why that idea sucks, and why you should only base a decision off the disk content.
  • BranrBranr Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    toMsons1987;1486795 said:
    I hate when people put peripherals into the decisions on what game is better and their overall score. Do you understand why that idea sucks, and why you should only base a decision off the disk content.

Since both games are sold as bundles with instruments, it's relevant.
  • NourezNourez Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    RB2 easily gets a 9/10 from me. Best rhythm game I've ever played. I really wanted to like GHWT, but there are so many little nuances with the game that I can't give it any more than 7/10. First, the charting is as horrible as last time around. I've seen custom charts on GH3 that were miles better than this one. Second, I'm still not a fan of the cartoony art style. 3rd, it's annoying the hell out of me that there is no way to have stand in characters. I mean, the character creation and the in game character selection is fantastic, but I hate that when I'm playing solo that there is only the character that I choose, and that the rest are random. It completely ruins the feeling that you are a part of a band, rather than simply a solo act. I don't know why exactly they did this though, in GH3 at least you were with the same guys throughout. This was also my biggest problem with RB1.

As for the hardware, I don't like the guitar all that much, but at least I have 2 guitars lying around when people come over. I haven't really tested out the drums yet, but they seem to be well built, and they're pretty quiet. The mic really makes no difference, it's just a generic USB mic branded with the GH logo.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited October 2008
    I'm more a fan of Rock Band's more realistic style. I don't think there's really a giant octopus that picks people up out of the crowd at Ozzfest or giant buses that fly and also hold concerts.
  • ExoKiller4ExoKiller4 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    Some of the GHWT graphics are MESSED. The afro (which like, 50% of npc band mates have) looks live it`s made of plastic. The create-a-song`s kinda... cheap. All of its effects sound the same (there`s like 3 or 4 ``themes`` then they all seem to be little unnoticeable variations). With a lot of time you might just make something worth keeping (omg, I downloaded the zelda theme!). And, HOLY *%?/! My dude`s getting electrocuted! Oh, wait, that`s just overdrive, oh, sorry ``star power.``
  • bigbluejbigbluej Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    GH:WT is pretty good but it messed up on so many annoying little things...RB2 is still way superior, in fact id take RB1 over it too. (You the the career in RB2 was bad? wait till GH:WT...)