Do Guitar Hero fanboys still think Guitar Hero > Rock Band?

OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
edited October 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
after the atrocity that is World Tour? I don't want to seem tedious with my threads, but what do they think? [Can't tell at school. :(]

Comments

• OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited October 2008
    afterstasis;1490022 said:
    I can't see YouTube videos at school, silly. -_-

Still, I will watch whatever it's about later at home. =D
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited October 2008
    Good question Ordeal. I haven't seen the Guitar Hero fans actually say what they think. I'm just hearing complaints about the instruments being faulty.

I seriously want to hear what they have to say. While I disagreed with their GH3 > Rock Band 1 assessment, I thought some of their points were fair, based on particular preferences (ie some of the song arguements and the fact that overall GH3 was harder, for those people who like a challenge). I want to see a good GHWT > Rock Band 2 arguement. Not that I want to argue back with it, I just want to see something well thought out that will show me why some people might think that way even if I don't.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    Fanboys are fanboys because they are impervious to facts... you should know that by now :)
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited October 2008
    killer_roach;1490088 said:
    Fanboys are fanboys because they are impervious to facts... you should know that by now :)
    Hey, I'm a Rock Band fangirl. I'll admit it. But, like I said, I understood how the GH fans might like GH3 versus RB1 based on what they like and dislike. So not all fans of something are completely blind to it. :p
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    OrdealByFire;1490016 said:
    after the atrocity that is World Tour? I don't want to seem tedious with my threads, but what do they think? [Can't tell at school. :(]
    Which atrocity is that? I spent my Sunday playing through GH:WT just like I did when RB2 came out. Was no less satisfied yesterday than I was the day RB2 came out. Both games are top of the line IMO.

There can be two.

People need to get over it.

I know there have been instrument complaints, as if RB has never had that issue? If you were going to toss a game due to bad instruments being prevailant...what are you doing playing RB to this day?
  • TheGreatKtuluTheGreatKtulu Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Well I had a really long post written up and foolishly wasn't logged in to post it.

Anyways... depending what reasons you play, yeah, some people might think that GH:WT is the better game.

I play both. In a few hours when the UPS guy shows up, I'll be playing Rock Revolution too. There's no reason to be blindly loyal to any of these game companies. Let's not forget our basic math skills either, $2/song to download vs $60 for 70 non-RB-disc songs if you buy just the GHWT stand alone game. Let's see... $140 if all those songs came out as DLC for RB2... or pay $60 and switch discs. Hmm. Hmmm. Yeah.... no reason not to buy both games if you just like playing the songs.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    TheGreatKtulu;1490211 said:
    Let's not forget our basic math skills either, $2/song to download vs $60 for 70 non-RB-disc songs if you buy just the GHWT stand alone game. Let's see... $140 if all those songs came out as DLC for RB2... or pay $60 and switch discs. Hmm. Hmmm. Yeah.... no reason not to buy both games if you just like playing the songs.
    this is the approach i was taking, but after i considered songs i would actually buy i came up way short.
    if the GH:WT setlist were more up my alley i'd definitely buy it for the sake of new songs.
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    After playing WT, I can't see how anybody can say WT>RB2.
  • Coheed.Coheed. Jerk Face
    edited October 2008
    sadly, ghwt is horrible enough to change harecore fanboys mind. but its still medicore, im forcing myself to play it, because i only have a week to return it. i keep wanting to play rock band instead
  • NiledeltadiscoNiledeltadisco Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    RealMessiah;1490127 said:

I know there have been instrument complaints, as if RB has never had that issue? If you were going to toss a game due to bad instruments being prevailant...what are you doing playing RB to this day?
    THIS is why I tend to discount your post completely. Nobody said RB didn't have instrument issues. It's precisely THAT FACT that makes the supposed GH:WT instrument issues so bad. It shouldn't have taken too much to have come off as better than RB1's launch. To make things worse - they even had employees publicly make snide comments about Rock Band's broken instruments. That sort of hubris makes GH:WT's instrument issues look less like a mistake and more like a sin (for lack of a better word).
  • DestnaruDestnaru Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Well I have not seen the finished product of GH:WT yet so all I can comment on is my observation of other peoples opinions and it would seem that the vast majority of those are not what I would consider to be good reviews.
  • ppetrovippetrovi Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    The problem with a question like that is you are on a Rock Band website. So Rock Band fanboys will not give a straight answer just like Guitar Hero fanboys will not give a straight answer.

I enjoyed playing GH:WT yesterday for several hours. However, I think Rock Band 2 is still a better game. I like them both though.
  • teddybgameteddybgame Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    RealMessiah;1490127 said:
    Which atrocity is that? I spent my Sunday playing through GH:WT just like I did when RB2 came out. Was no less satisfied yesterday than I was the day RB2 came out. Both games are top of the line IMO.

There can be two.

People need to get over it.

Finally someone with a valid opinion.

I'm enjoying the hell out of GHWT and surprisingly I still love RB. Wow I guess I win.

BTW for single player drums GHWT is more fun to me because it shows stars and scores, plus I like the setlist in this game better. RB2 really needs to have an option for a solo career like in RB1. I must've spent a hundred hours trying to five star every song in the game on expert.

Both games have positives and negatives and I'm not blinded by some kind of childish brand loyalty in order to see that. It's not like I'm going to be getting a portion of HMX profits by shouting their greatness from the rooftops.
  • FickAwesomeFickAwesome Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    teddybgame;1490637 said:

"Finally, someone with the same opinion as me"

P.S. What exactly constitutes an invalid opinion?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    FickAwesome;1490646 said:
    "Finally, someone with the same opinion as me"

P.S. What exactly constitutes an invalid opinion?
    i was thinking the same thing...

there seems to be a third entry in the list of people who can't seem to understand the world does not revolve around their personal tastes...
    the "i enjoy both games and anyone who doesn't is a fanboy" tribe.

i could care less if someone thinks GH:WT is better than RB2 (or the other way around).
    i'm just not fond of having my opinion discounted (from any of these groups) because someone can't see past their own nose.
  • MycoolMycool Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    My wife & I played GHWT for about 7 hours straight yesterday (using our RB1 instruments) and we had an absolutely fantastic time with it. We still love our RB2, but WT has some really excellent songs that are amazingly fun to play.

Like some others have said, both games do certain things better than the other, but it's nice to be able to mix it up a little. At the end of the day the competition will greatly benefit all consumers, no matter if you only own one of the games or both. Each company will be extra motivated to add bigger & better features to their title, and license better DLC (and more of it to choose from). I really don't understand the whole "pick a side" mentality at all.
    edited October 2008
    Look what I made in Global Issues.

nevermind the thing lied.
    edited October 2008
    P.S. I beat it yesterday. Wasn't that impressed.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    My friends and I played full band for many hours yesterday on GH:WT Some things I did not like about it
    1-Ion kit does not work properly with it- this makes for 0 replay value for me!
    2-I do not like the fact that band members do not have there own OD bar
    3-Did not care for the icons up in the left hand corner-the red to green meter telling you how well you or your bandmates are doing. Seemed like I had to take focus off of the chart to see who was failing
    4-Dont like the fact that if one band member fails there is no bringing them back-one fails we all fail
    5-did not like the singing one bit- RB singing just seems to be smoother
    6-Did I mention that the Ion kit doesnt work. epic fail on Activision's part because this means for all of us with an Ion set & RB2, RB2 DLC is what we will be purchasing and playing
    7-Do not like the full purple notes on the bass. Although there are probably people who do like it cause it makes it more challenging
    8-RB drums on GH:WT kinda suck- the crash is on the yellow pad and drummming in this game just feels ass backwards. my mind is set to function like I'm playing RB
    Things I did like
    1-Love the new guitar and the way you play it when the notes are all strung together. The new bottom fret board is alot of fun
    2-Like the setlist-
    3-The Ion kit not working properly just means I stay with the game I like and enjoy countless hours of fun DLC. No more money for Activision from me.

PS: there isnt a chance in hell that I am buying another drum kit, I really dont care if they dont want my money
  • Misfit1369Misfit1369 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    teddybgame;1490637 said:

I'm enjoying the hell out of GHWT and surprisingly I still love RB. Wow I guess I win.

BTW for single player drums GHWT is more fun to me because it shows stars and scores, plus I like the setlist in this game better. RB2 really needs to have an option for a solo career like in RB1. I must've spent a hundred hours trying to five star every song in the game on expert.

Both games have positives and negatives and I'm not blinded by some kind of childish brand loyalty in order to see that. It's not like I'm going to be getting a portion of HMX profits by shouting their greatness from the rooftops.

This. Having stars and scores display for all instruments, all difficulties right in the quickplay list is a huge pro in GHWT. The lack of this crucial information is a huge con to me in RB2.

Also, I'm having a blast in the dedicated bass solo tour. I have to say I really dig the new open chord (though the color is distracting)as it really adds to the gameplay imo.

Set list is opinion based and I actually like the on disk songs in GHWT better.

RB2 wins in every other aspect but I have to say the lack of stats/star tracking in RB2 is really getting to me. Since I play on expert on all four instruments, manually tracking or using a website is not feasible to me.
  • Dartagnan64Dartagnan64 Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    It looks like as always that GHWT appeals to "The Gamer" and RB2 appeals to "The Musician".

The only people that are spouting off GHWT superiority are the nerdy score trackers that need to measure their epeen in gold stars or the game is just not worth it.

I will buy GHWT. I will enjoy some songs on it and not others. I will likely still play RB2 as my primary music game because it has great charts, a ton of DLC and better band gameplay (shared star power? no band member saving? one fails=we all fail? seriously, what was Neversoft thinking?)
  • Misfit1369Misfit1369 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Dartagnan64;1491245 said:
    It looks like as always that GHWT appeals to "The Gamer" and RB2 appeals to "The Musician".

The only people that are spouting off GHWT superiority are the nerdy score trackers that need to measure their epeen in gold stars or the game is just not worth it.

I will buy GHWT. I will enjoy some songs on it and not others. I will likely still play RB2 as my primary music game because it has great charts, a ton of DLC and better band gameplay (shared star power? no band member saving? one fails=we all fail? seriously, what was Neversoft thinking?)
    Funny you say that as you are flat out wrong. I play bass, guitar, and trumpet in real life and I love RB2.

It's the nerdy ones that shouldn't be complaining as they have websites to track the stars/scores. I don't have the time for that.

I miss this feature for two very practical reasons. First, I like to improve my skills and after the initial fun factor of each song has come and gone the only way I can really see how I can improve is to look at stars. I cant tell what the scores mean in terms of how much I could potentially improve on a song.

Secondly, my wife sings on expert and can 99/100% almost every song. Traditionally I would look at which songs I can 5 or gold star for the instrument I chose to use at the time prior to picking songs to play with her. The way RB2 is now I forget what I can and cant do and I end up picking songs on an instrument that I can only 4 star.
  • bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    OrdealByFire;1490016 said:
    Just take a look at jgosh's posts. There's the fanboy that'll answer this question.
  • Coheed.Coheed. Jerk Face
    edited October 2008
    lol "valid opinion"

thats an oxymoron. nobodies opinion is valid.
  • nashphx13znashphx13z Super Star
    edited October 2008
    I have friends at school who don't even have GHWT or RB2 (or RB1 for that matter) who think GHWT is WAAAYYYYYYYYYYY better. They are what we high-schoolers call "douchebags". But no matter what I tell them, they just reply with: Guitar Hero rocks. I made a thread about this before GHWT came out, take a looksie: Ignorant People!
  • nashphx13znashphx13z Super Star
    edited October 2008
    bse523;1491471 said:
    Just take a look at jgosh's posts. There's the fanboy that'll answer this question.
    Touche. Go into the "Add a GHWT Opinion" sticky and look on the page before last.
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Fennz;1490459 said:
    After playing WT, I can't see how anybody can say WT>RB2.
    Whats wrong with it? really ..I've enjoyed GH2 and GH3...more than RB? no. But I still enjoy playing them. So, in all honesty, what do you find so bad abvout GH:WT? I was going to pick it up and would like to know what the negativity is about...
  • Ben2998Ben2998 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    I prefer RB2 over RB1 over GH3, I need to try WT but I was so dissapointed with GH3 that I'll rent it first.

Also, the "one fail, everyone fails" thingy make the game less party-oriented IMO and that's even worse if the game is over-charted like GH3.

And I'm not the kind of gamer who play to beat his own record, I prefer playing just for fun.

I may ask for the game this christmas (nobody knows what to buy me for christmas and the instrument are compatible)

Also, I heard a part of the game was made by Beenox Quebec, I tried to apply for the 3D Particles FX Artist but I've got refused in less than an hour.
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited October 2008
    Meh, I've got mixed feelings for it. It's not as good as I hoped, but that was expected after I got RB2. Here's my breakdown of the game.
    Cons:
    -Crazy Train drum chart = Epic fail, literally and metaphorically.
    -Drum charts are MUCH harder to read in the GH style charting
    -Star power activation on drums is pretty hard on some songs
    -Lefty mode doesn't work in the studio (I'm totally heartbroken over this, I wanted to make something that doesn't suck)
    -Menus are less user-friendly than RB
    -Vocals scroll is harder to read IMO
    Pros:
    -AWESOME setlist, best since GH2 for 360
    -Added 6th note on bass is a nice touch
    -Guitar gameplay in general is good
    -Less added notes as per GH3
    -Not overly difficult (i.e. no "mosh 1" insane stuff)

I'd say it's ok, but it's not as good as it could have been. Tied with GH3 behind GH2 for best one yet. It has a **** lot of potential, but it wasn't put to use.