Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited November 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1524704 said:
    No, Kill Em' All Came out in 1983, they will be inducted in 2009.

SRV is no where near Metallica's status on popularity.
    SRV's first album was Texas Flood, released in 1983, and it is his first year of eligibility,

and where is he no where nearly as well known as Metallica? among the 10 people you know that you keep saying is the majority of all fans?
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    I thought they were inducted earlier this year -_-

I don't keep up with the hall of fame, anyway. I really can't say who's in and who isn't.
    a21schizoidman;1524719 said:

and where is he no where nearly as well known as Metallica? among the 10 people you know that you keep saying is the majority of all fans?
    I imagine he's going off of the Black album's sales.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1524617 said:
    It's actually Metallica's second year of eligibility.

Plus Metallica are more famous and well known than SRV.

The Hall just needs new management.
    The first year of eligibility for a band or artist is 25 years after the release of their debut album, Metallica's "Kill 'em All" was released in 1983 (the same year as SRV's Texas Flood), making 2008 (25 years later) their first year of eligibility. Also, SRV is very well known, and one would think that the fact that he's passed would influence the nomination, but apparently a new album release outweighs a loss of life.

Also, who the hell are the Dave Clark Five?
    edited November 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1524704 said:
    No, Kill Em' All Came out in 1983, they will be inducted in 2009.

SRV is no where near Metallica's status on popularity.
    but they weren't eligible for nomination for the 2008 induction, which took place in 2007.
    edited November 2008
    MronoC;1524726 said:

Also, who the hell are the Dave Clark Five?
    An underrated British invasion group.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    a21schizoidman;1524493 said:
    well, I wasn't necessarily aiming at you, considering there are many Pantera fans on the forums, but I can't see what's so great about them. I just see them as overrated, nothing wrong with all of you liking them, but where I'm from, all I've heard since middle school is how great Dimebag was, and he's no more special to me than Robby Krieger or Eric Clapton (both mediocre IMO)
    I just shake my head at thee. Have I not showed you the Floods solo? AND YOU PUT IT UP ON ONE OF YOUR GREATEST SOLOS LISTS?!

And where the hell have you been on Live? A friend of mine and I have been waiting for you to get on to jam!!!!!
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited November 2008
    a21schizoidman;1524719 said:
    SRV's first album was Texas Flood, released in 1983, and it is his first year of eligibility,

No, among everyone. SRV is mostly known in the Blues-Rock Community, with much acclaim for his guitar abilities.

Metallica had all of their albums after Puppets score in the top 10, and definitly are more known than SRV.

Metallica are in the Legends of Rock book. SRV isn't.

And just so I don't get accused:

I LIKE BOTH ARTISTS

I miss changing font size :(
    edited November 2008
    Shredder87;1524765 said:
    I just shake my head at thee. Have I not showed you the Floods solo? AND YOU PUT IT UP ON ONE OF YOUR GREATEST SOLOS LISTS?!

And where the hell have you been on Live? A friend of mine and I have been waiting for you to get on to jam!!!!!
    ive been playin Madden a lot lately, Im in a phase, lol I wanna jam the endless setlist online, lol
    edited November 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;1524847 said:
    No, among everyone. SRV is mostly known in the Blues-Rock Community, with much acclaim for his guitar abilities.

Metallica had all of their albums after Puppets score in the top 10, and definitly are more known than SRV.

Metallica are in the Legends of Rock book. SRV isn't.

And just so I don't get accused:

I LIKE BOTH ARTISTS

I miss changing font size :(
    just stop, everyone here knows you are just talking out of your ass
    edited November 2008
    I thought you two had each other on your ignore lists?
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    a21schizoidman;1524855 said:
    just stop, everyone here knows you are just talking out of your ass
    I do have to agree with the Shiz, there are TONS of metalheads that are inspired by Stevie, as much as I am. Stevie wasn't just known in the blues community.

And Shiz, I would do the endless set list, but I just don't want to deal with Visions. I applaud Harmonix for opening the floodgates for "extreme" metal(I'm still crossing my fingers for Immortal) but my goodness, it's not even fun, nor does it sound good.
    edited November 2008
    I do think RockBandFan is talking about overall awareness, and I do have to agree more people on the street would recognize the name Metallica over Stevie Ray Vaughan. This is not a good thing.

However, if you played a song by each, they would probably recognize Stevie Ray.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1524928 said:
    I do think RockBandFan is talking about overall awareness, and I do have to agree more people on the street would recognize Metallica over Stevie Ray Vaughan. This is not a good thing.
    I'm more disturbed more people will recognize Dashboard Confessional than say Sonic Youth and bands of the likes
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1524599 said:
    This is my opinion mixed with simple analysis of the music.

-Metallica usually have longer songs. While this seems trivial, one of the characteristic elements of Thrash metal is the length. Thrash would often extend the length of their songs, to fit in multiple time signatures, and to help escape mainstream cliche's.

I've never heard of this. As far as I know, Megadeth, Anthrax, and especially Slayer have very short songs, all the time.

- Metallica generally have much more distorted instruments, another huge characteristic of Thrash metal.

I guess that counts...

- Metallica usually contains harsher, deeper vocals, as compared to the much higher pitched vocal style of the early Dave Mustaine.

That counts too?

- Metallica usually have better written lyrics.

That's debatable. Very debatable.

- Metallica arguably recorded one of the first Thrash records, although much of it was thanks to Dave Mustaine.

I'll give them that.

- Metallica seems to change tempo's more frequently, although that is definitely up for debate.

This is true, I'll agree. If you listen to Megadeth a lot, you notice that they slow down and speed up a lot in their songs, but it's usually the same tempo cut in half. One clear exception is Hanger 18, which just throws their old tempo completely out the window.

Of course, I can say many things that Megadeth do better than Metallica.

Same here :)
    Quote quote, read the quote.
    edited November 2008
    "Metallica usually have longer songs. While this seems trivial, one of the characteristic elements of Thrash metal is the length. Thrash would often extend the length of their songs, to fit in multiple time signatures, and to help escape mainstream cliche's."

I probably could have worded that better. I should have said something along the lines of "they were one of the first to extend Thrash to long lengths".
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    Loveless by My Bloody Valetine is easily one of the greatest Alternative albums ever recorded..
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Zeleii;1515848 said:
    I hope Alt rock fans don't lynch me for this but

IMO SSPU > SP
    I thought you meant skinny puppy for a second and I was going to say that I like ice cream much better than bike rides. But now that I know which SP you speak of, I am absolutely in agreement.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1527804 said:
    I thought you meant skinny puppy for a second and I was going to say that I like ice cream much better than bike rides. But now that I know which SP you speak of, I am absolutely in agreement.
    I knew I wasn't crazy :p
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Zeleii;1525514 said:
    Loveless by My Bloody Valetine is easily one of the greatest Alternative albums ever recorded..
    Split by Lush is better.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1527816 said:
    Split by Lush is better.
    IDK, haven't listened yet... I'll give it a listen later and get back to you on that
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Zeleii;1527815 said:
    I knew I wasn't crazy :p
    Honestly, I'd say SP is better in terms of overall technique and range, but I prefer SSPU quite a bit more myself =p

And as for a random music opinion: i herd mikael akerfeldt and henry rollins both liek mudkipz.

And as for the whole Metallica vs. Stevie Ray Vaughn thing goes (never thought I'd ever say that XD), they're both widely known, and while Stevie Ray Vaughn blows Metallica out of the water, Metallica is the household name that nearly every family in America knows. I'd venture to say that's the main reason.
  • Xaris3514Xaris3514 Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1524721 said:
    I don't keep up with the hall of fame, anyway. I really can't say who's in and who isn't.
    The Sex Pistols summed up my opinion on the hall of fame quite nicely. I'm still baffled as to why neither Rush nor KISS have even been nominated despite both being eligible for years and both being very important to the genre. Hell, the final nail in the coffin was when Grandmaster Flash and Madonna were inducted before bands like KISS and Rush were even nominated.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    Xaris3514;1528455 said:
    The Sex Pistols summed up my opinion on the hall of fame quite nicely. I'm still baffled as to why neither Rush nor KISS have even been nominated despite both being eligible for years and both being very important to the genre. Hell, the final nail in the coffin was when Grandmaster Flash and Madonna were inducted before bands like KISS and Rush were even nominated.
    I still cant believe Rush isnt in. It pisses me off.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    Xaris3514;1528455 said:
    It's a proven fact, Rolling Stone and the R&R HoF hates Progressive music... has Yes, Genesis, Kansas ever been nominated?
    edited November 2008
    Zeleii;1528529 said:
    It's a proven fact, Rolling Stone and the R&R HoF hates Progressive music... has Yes, Genesis, Kansas ever been nominated?
    Exactly my point. Bands like Rush, KISS, Genesis, Kansas, Yes, Journey, etc. are a hell of a lot more important than Grandmaster Flash and Madonna. Considering that Madonna and Grandmaster Flash aren't even rock artists, ANY rock band is more important than either of them. And I believe that Iron Maiden is a much more important band to heavy metal than Metallica no matter how popular Metallica is.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    Xaris3514;1528568 said:
    Exactly my point. Bands like Rush, KISS, Genesis, Kansas, Yes, Journey, etc. are a hell of a lot more important than Grandmaster Flash and Madonna. Considering that Madonna and Grandmaster Flash aren't even rock artists, ANY rock band is more important than either of them. And I believe that Iron Maiden is a much more important band to heavy metal than Metallica no matter how popular Metallica is.
    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest
    edited November 2008
    Zeleii;1528636 said:
    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest
    And yet Sabbath remains the only one of those three to be inducted.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited November 2008
    Xaris3514;1528654 said:
    And yet Sabbath remains the only one of those three to be inducted.
    And the other 2 are if not some of the most influential metal bands... ever
    edited November 2008
    Also, wtf at Van Halen being inducted before either Priest or Maiden? And how are The Stooges just now being nominated?! And, again, How the hell is Alice Cooper not in their!?
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited November 2008
    Zeleii;1525514 said:
    100% agree. It's brilliant.