Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread

Comments

• TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2029190 said:
    Last fm is the best thing ever. I've already found songs that I've never heard before and now love.
    Agreed. Last.fm is responsible for my discovery of (to the dismay of my parents) grunge and (to the dismay of metal heads everywhere) nu-metal.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited February 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029138 said:
    What is the general forum opinion of Godsmack?
    GARBAGE

But really, they're really generic. I don't like them. At all.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;2029295 said:
    GARBAGE

This
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;2029295 said:
    GARBAGE

They're generic? Who are the bands that sound exactly like them?
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    On the subject of last.fm, does anyone know if there's a scrobbler for mac that works with Rhapsody?
    edited February 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029340 said:
    They're generic? Who are the bands that sound exactly like them?
    Let's not forget this escapade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqV736HAWM
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;2029351 said:
    Let's not forget this escapade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqV736HAWM
    Well, that certainly does affect their credibility, but still, how are they generic?
    edited February 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029375 said:
    Well, that certainly does affect their credibility, but still, how are they generic?
    How are they not generic? Their sound is radio fodder.
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;2029427 said:
    How are they not generic? Their sound is radio fodder.
    How are they generic? Name me another band whose singer sounds anything like Sully Erna.

(Not trying to be an ass with this commentary, merely playing the Devil's advocate ;))
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Haven't heard a lot of them, but "generic" definitely isn't a word that pops into my head when I hear "Voodoo", however, they sound an awful lot like Alice in Chains on some songs.
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;2029486 said:
    Haven't heard a lot of them, but "generic" definitely isn't a word that pops into my head when I hear "Voodoo", however, they sound an awful lot like Alice in Chains on some songs.
    Well, from what I've read up on them tells me, they basically worshiped Alice In Chains and Sully Erna stated that Layne Staley was the entire reason he got involved in music.

With that said, Alice In Chains wasn't exactly generic either.
    edited February 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029497 said:
    Well, from what I've read up on them tells me, they basically worshiped Alice In Chains and Sully Erna stated that Layne Staley was the entire reason he got involved in music.

With that said, Alice In Chains wasn't exactly generic either.
    Alice in Chains weren't generic, but there are legions of bands that sound like them, including Godsmack.

I'd name them, but I'd be naming basically every post-grunge band on the planet.
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;2029553 said:
    Alice in Chains weren't generic, but there are legions of bands that sound like them, including Godsmack.
    Can you name some of those other bands, please?
    edited February 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029558 said:
    Can you name some of those other bands, please?
    Just listen to your local mainstream rock station, you'll hear one within 10 minutes guaranteed.*

*may not actually be guaranteed

Edit: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?f=Hot+Mainstream+Rock+Tracks&pageNumber=Top+1-10&g=Singles

Most of the bands on here are pretty good examples.
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;2029578 said:
    Just listen to your local mainstream rock station, you'll hear one within 10 minutes guaranteed.*

*may not actually be guaranteed

Edit: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?f=Hot+Mainstream+Rock+Tracks&pageNumber=Top+1-10&g=Singles

Most of the bands on here are pretty good examples.
    None of those bands (outside of Disturbed) hold many similarities to what I've heard from Godsmack.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    So Godsmack aren't generic.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029203 said:
    Agreed. Last.fm is responsible for my discovery of (to the dismay of my parents) grunge and (to the dismay of metal heads everywhere) nu-metal.
    Have you listened to the Melvins, yet? If you listen to grunge, you have to listen to the Melvins :).
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2029739 said:
    So Godsmack aren't generic.
    Well, I wouldn't exactly say they're creative.
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;2029748 said:
    Have you listened to the Melvins, yet? If you listen to grunge, you have to listen to the Melvins :).
    I have not, but knowing your tastes, you have intrigued me. I'll check them out.

Also, were it not for Sully's voice, then Godsmack probably would be fairly generic.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Melvins weren't exactly grunge, though they weren't exactly anything. The closest you can get is doom metal with a lot of experimentation and branching out (they started as hardcore punk and have included many different styles into their playing). Nonetheless, they heavily influenced the entirety of grunge.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Adema, Trapt, Sevendust, Taproot, Drowning Pool, Soil, Coal Chamber, Chimaira, etc...

A band sounding the same as other artists is not a bad thing and I dont like it when its used against a band. I like me some Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and Rhapsody for example and a lot of people say they sound way too similiar but then thats why they're in the same genre, now, isnt it? (And you can clearly pick out each band's unique traits if you want to get anal) Now Sully's voice is a bit more baritone than other numetal artists but people like me who come from a "played guitar for 8 years and then got into music" background listen to instrumentation as more than just background fodder.

The largest problem with numetal is its airplay. People will say it sounds the same. You take a radio station and just play only 80's thrash or power metal or death metal, or what have you and you will get the exact same complaints.
    edited February 2009
    John Decon was the 2nd ****** looking Queen Member.
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2029822 said:
    Adema, Trapt, Sevendust, Taproot, Drowning Pool, Soil, Coal Chamber, Chimaira, etc...

A band sounding the same as other artists is not a bad thing and I dont like it when its used against a band. I like me some Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and Rhapsody for example and a lot of people say they sound way too similiar but then thats why they're in the same genre, now, isnt it? (And you can clearly pick out each band's unique traits if you want to get anal) Now Sully's voice is a bit more baritone than other numetal artists but people like me who come from a "played guitar for 8 years and then got into music" background listen to instrumentation as more than just background fodder.

The largest problem with numetal is its airplay. People will say it sounds the same. You take a radio station and just play only 80's thrash or power metal or death metal, or what have you and you will get the exact same complaints.
    I wasn't trying to say that the instruments are just "background fodder" to me. Quite the contrary. Sully just adds that x-factor with his voice, taking what would be a run-of-the-mill nu-metal band and making it special. The best comparison I can think of would be Kamelot and Roy Khan. With him, they've got something special. Without him, not so much.
    edited March 2009
    There are a bit too many Fez tags.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029873 said:
    I wasn't trying to say that the instruments are just "background fodder" to me. Quite the contrary. Sully just adds that x-factor with his voice, taking what would be a run-of-the-mill nu-metal band and making it special. The best comparison I can think of would be Kamelot and Roy Khan. With him, they've got something special. Without him, not so much.
    I agree with this. Coming from a non-Godsmack fan, I was really impressed with Sully's stage presence when I saw them open up for Metallica in '05. In fact, I enjoyed Godsmack's performance more than Metallica's that night.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2030593 said:
    There are a bit too many Fez tags.
    Were you not the one who said "there can never be enough Fez tags"?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2030635 said:
    Were you not the one who said "there can never be enough Fez tags"?
    he likes to just post just to post sometimes
    edited March 2009
    I was kind of on a Fez high when I said that.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2030659 said:
    I was kind of on a Fez high when I said that.
    I definitely would believe you were high on something most days
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029138 said:
    What is the general forum opinion of Godsmack?
    Horrible.