Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread

Comments

  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Melvins weren't exactly grunge, though they weren't exactly anything. The closest you can get is doom metal with a lot of experimentation and branching out (they started as hardcore punk and have included many different styles into their playing). Nonetheless, they heavily influenced the entirety of grunge.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Adema, Trapt, Sevendust, Taproot, Drowning Pool, Soil, Coal Chamber, Chimaira, etc...

    A band sounding the same as other artists is not a bad thing and I dont like it when its used against a band. I like me some Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and Rhapsody for example and a lot of people say they sound way too similiar but then thats why they're in the same genre, now, isnt it? (And you can clearly pick out each band's unique traits if you want to get anal) Now Sully's voice is a bit more baritone than other numetal artists but people like me who come from a "played guitar for 8 years and then got into music" background listen to instrumentation as more than just background fodder.

    The largest problem with numetal is its airplay. People will say it sounds the same. You take a radio station and just play only 80's thrash or power metal or death metal, or what have you and you will get the exact same complaints.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    John Decon was the 2nd ****** looking Queen Member.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2029822 said:
    Adema, Trapt, Sevendust, Taproot, Drowning Pool, Soil, Coal Chamber, Chimaira, etc...

    A band sounding the same as other artists is not a bad thing and I dont like it when its used against a band. I like me some Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and Rhapsody for example and a lot of people say they sound way too similiar but then thats why they're in the same genre, now, isnt it? (And you can clearly pick out each band's unique traits if you want to get anal) Now Sully's voice is a bit more baritone than other numetal artists but people like me who come from a "played guitar for 8 years and then got into music" background listen to instrumentation as more than just background fodder.

    The largest problem with numetal is its airplay. People will say it sounds the same. You take a radio station and just play only 80's thrash or power metal or death metal, or what have you and you will get the exact same complaints.
    I wasn't trying to say that the instruments are just "background fodder" to me. Quite the contrary. Sully just adds that x-factor with his voice, taking what would be a run-of-the-mill nu-metal band and making it special. The best comparison I can think of would be Kamelot and Roy Khan. With him, they've got something special. Without him, not so much.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    There are a bit too many Fez tags.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029873 said:
    I wasn't trying to say that the instruments are just "background fodder" to me. Quite the contrary. Sully just adds that x-factor with his voice, taking what would be a run-of-the-mill nu-metal band and making it special. The best comparison I can think of would be Kamelot and Roy Khan. With him, they've got something special. Without him, not so much.
    I agree with this. Coming from a non-Godsmack fan, I was really impressed with Sully's stage presence when I saw them open up for Metallica in '05. In fact, I enjoyed Godsmack's performance more than Metallica's that night.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2030593 said:
    There are a bit too many Fez tags.
    Were you not the one who said "there can never be enough Fez tags"?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2030635 said:
    Were you not the one who said "there can never be enough Fez tags"?
    he likes to just post just to post sometimes
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I was kind of on a Fez high when I said that.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2030659 said:
    I was kind of on a Fez high when I said that.
    I definitely would believe you were high on something most days
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2029138 said:
    What is the general forum opinion of Godsmack?
    Horrible.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2030635 said:
    Were you not the one who said "there can never be enough Fez tags"?
    I am pretty sexy, I must say.

    As far as the Godsmack discussion goes, I liked their first CD and then they pretty much went downhill immediately.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2029779 said:
    Melvins weren't exactly grunge, though they weren't exactly anything. The closest you can get is doom metal with a lot of experimentation and branching out (they started as hardcore punk and have included many different styles into their playing). Nonetheless, they heavily influenced the entirety of grunge.
    It depends on the record, but I think they were one of the bands that got the stoner rock sound going.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    My avatar wins.

    Guy in a wheelchair crowd surfing at a Bolt Thrower show.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2032449 said:
    It depends on the record, but I think they were one of the bands that got the stoner rock sound going.
    Yeah, you can never really pin them down to a single style besides music, haha.

    Opinion: The Wipers Box Set is completely awesome and should be mandatory in any punk fan's collection (as well as the collections of many non-punk fans).
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2032520 said:
    My avatar wins.

    Guy in a wheelchair crowd surfing at a Bolt Thrower show.
    Bolt Thrower is enough to make it cool.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I never saw you as a Bolt Thrower fan.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2032990 said:
    I never saw you as a Bolt Thrower fan.
    They're one of the few decent Death Metal bands in my eyes, and treat their fans well.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I like their outlook on their music. After making a great album, they don't try to follow up with another a year later, instead, they wait until they can make one that they feel is as great as the last.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2033042 said:
    I like their outlook on their music. After making a great album, they don't try to follow up with another a year later, instead, they wait until they can make one that they feel is as great as the last.
    They're just generally down to earth, which is a relief.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Definitely.

    And apparently the guy in the wheelchair is Jeff Becerra of Possessed O_O
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    That makes that avatar 105.666% more awesome.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    That makes it so incredibly awesome.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2033161 said:
    That makes it so incredibly awesome.
    Not as awesome as mine and definitely not as awesome as Hungryfreaks :D
  • CoolbutlameCoolbutlame Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    Dragon force was the worst idea ever!
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I wish Transatlantic would reunite so I could see them live and maybe they could produce another album sadly though they will probably not reunite for at least 10 years :(
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    This isn't really an opinion, but I don't want to waste forum space with a simple question. What are the stereotypes of grunge fans/musicians? Or school is having a costume party for Purim and the theme is by decade. Our class got the 90s (I really wanted the 80s, but we can't always luck out) and I want to go as a grunge fan. All I've got is torn up jeans, flannel shirts and Nirvana worship.

    To make it thread relevant, crap out your opinion on what grunge stereotypes are, haha.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2034127 said:
    All I've got is torn up jeans, flannel shirts and Nirvana worship.
    That should be enough.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Really? There has to be more. Any other personality traits, physical characteristics and whatnot?
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I don't hate Boston, despide me thinking they are calculating and corperate.
Sign In or Register to comment.