Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2176135 said:
    Then what would you call Roxy Music (other than Glam)
    Never listened to them, personally.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2176081 said:
    That's a nice kit you've got there and some nice skills to boot. I really need to actually practice my drums... May I ask how long you've been playing?
    Thanks. I've been playing set for about 2 years, IIRC. Pad for 2 and a half.

I guess I've progressed rapidly, but I need to go back and work on rudiments again and the finer points of technique. Up until recently, it wasn't uncommon for me to clock 3-5 hours on set in a day.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2176145 said:
    Never listened to them, personally.
    They have been called Prog. and Glam I am just not sure if Prog. fits them song sample:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeEBMJt8vs
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2176146 said:
    Thanks. I've been playing set for about 2 years, IIRC. Pad for 2 and a half.

I guess I've progressed rapidly, but I need to go back and work on rudiments again and the finer points of technique. Up until recently, it wasn't uncommon for me to clock 3-5 hours on set in a day.
    I'm still at the process of picking up the instrument, myself, technically. I refuse to take lessons and hardly practice... Im thinking of setting up something for myself, though, starting with spring break.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2176111 said:
    Art Rock is a generalization/umbrella term for any rock that takes a artistic route, experiments, etc.

It has no set sound, so it is not a genre.
    This is my general belief on art/experimental rock.
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2176165 said:
    I'm still at the process of picking up the instrument, myself, technically. I refuse to take lessons and hardly practice... Im thinking of setting up something for myself, though, starting with spring break.
    I took lessons and still do, which I'm thankful for because I'm absolutely horrid when it comes to picking up the basics for just about anything.
    edited March 2009
    Alright_Computer;2176169 said:
    This is my general belief on art/experimental rock.
    Well experimental rock isn't as vague, but I understand where you are coming from.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Rush is awesome for having the Melvins open for them once.
    edited March 2009
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2176213 said:
    Rush is awesome for having the Melvins open for them once.
    Post link please :)

Nice to see your grunt is back ;)
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2176218 said:
    Whoa!

When was this?
    If this is legitimate at all. :D

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-oddities/nardwuar-vs-geddy.htm

I'm not sure, probably some time in the 90s. I think they have opened for Rush based off this list of cover they have done.

http://www.geocities.com/fraxs37/Melvins/mel-covers.html

Fizzeler:Thank you, I thought that Totodile could be retired for the moment.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;2174934 said:
    Opinion:

I wish that music game drums didn't all suck a cock.
    I love having money to burn... ION kit is awesome.

I have an acoustic kit for realz, but I need to buy some silencers and fix the hi-hat before I can use it.
    edited March 2009
    Can anybody recommend essential new wave records? Maybe something like Pere Ubu's Cloudland?

Link to Pere Ubu Cloudland sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYqvtHzr48
    edited March 2009
    Question for the drummers on the board.

I have a friend who has become obsessed with grindcore, particularly the pig squealing brand. I like grind enough, however, he's convinced the best drummers on earth are in grind bands because of the speed, and the best drummer to ever live is from Berzerker.

Just to make sure I know what I am talking about, blast beats are not technically advanced, correct?
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2177049 said:
    Question for the drummers on the board.

I have a friend who has become obsessed with grindcore, particularly the pig squealing brand. I like grind enough, however, he's convinced the best drummers on earth are in grind bands because of the speed, and the best drummer to ever live is from Berzerker.

Just to make sure I know what I am talking about, blast beats are not technically advanced, correct?
    For the most part, no they are not technically advanced. It doesn't take too much technique to build them up at all and it's pretty easy to play anything underneath straight 8ths/16ths. The only point where technique really comes into play is when you reach ungodly speeds, like 8ths at 270+BPM.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited March 2009
    Opinion : Sayuri Iwata is a good singer

Opinion number two : Kalmah would be nothing without Marco
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2177417 said:
    For the most part, no they are not technically advanced. It doesn't take too much technique to build them up at all and it's pretty easy to play anything underneath straight 8ths/16ths. The only point where technique really comes into play is when you reach ungodly speeds, like 8ths at 270+BPM.
    How good would you say the drummer for Berzerker is? I've never heard them, and can't at the moment, but it's literally all he talks about, and knowing his music taste, I have my doubts.
    edited March 2009
    Zeleii;2177555 said:
    Can't listen to it at the moment.
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2177547 said:
    How good would you say the drummer for Berzerker is? I've never heard them, and can't at the moment, but it's literally all he talks about, and knowing his music taste, I have my doubts.
    Never listened to the band, I'm assuming he really means The Berzerker, whom I've heard is decent.

I think he's really just talking out of his ass, because the band's MA page mentions The Drummer (no idea who that is) was a world record holder, but there was no proof of him reaching 19BPS and even then, it still wouldn't be Mangini's.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    Zeleii;2177555 said:
    I'm not going to lie... that's pretty fast.
    edited March 2009
    Apparently I misread it, it's really 19BPS per hand, but there's still no solid proof of him reaching those speeds and he's never attended a WFD competition to even attempt the record, so I assume there's some sort of shenanigans going on.

And all he really is is fast, and he might be just about the fasting thing I've ever seen, but it takes more than speed with a snare trigger to impress me.
    edited March 2009
    Phhh, according to my friend, the fastest drummer ever is synonymous with the best drummer ever :p

Of course, he also likes to think that the drummer for As I Lay Dying has the fastest feet of any drummer to ever exist.
    edited March 2009
    One more thing, I can't tell from the quality, but judging on where he's holding the stick, I think he might just be doing a gravity blast, using the rim for leverage.

And As I Lay Dying's drummer has some pretty slow feet when compared to machines like Kollias, Roddy, Mangini, Minneman, and Sandoval. And just about all those drummers can play in other styles as well, except Kollias, I've never seen a video of him playing anything outside of DM.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2177597 said:
    One more thing, I can't tell from the quality, but judging on where he's holding the stick, I think he might just be doing a gravity blast, using the rim for leverage.

And As I Lay Dying's drummer has some pretty slow feet when compared to machines like Kollias, Roddy, Mangini, Minneman, and Sandoval. And just about all those drummers can play in other styles as well, except Kollias, I've never seen a video of him playing anything outside of DM.
    Watch his hands on the hi-hat.
    edited March 2009
    I was watching that, but the camera was horrid, so I never really got a good look.

He's fast, but there are even hi-hat tricks, I need to watch the video again.

Either away, his speed is rather useless in creating a wall of sound since it's rather weak and he needs triggers to get any sort of volume out of his playing.
    edited March 2009
    Random opinion: I personally cannot stand pig squealing. Who knows, maybe I haven't heard it done right, but I find it more obnoxious than anything. If only the guys in the Vision thread could hear it :p
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Robin Trower is one of the best guitarists to emerge from the 1970's.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2177596 said:
    Phhh, according to my friend, the fastest drummer ever is synonymous with the best drummer ever :p
    Then your friend will be happy when the Cylons take over with their inhumanly fast kick drums.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I have warmed up to Load. I now appreciate it as a solid rock album and learned to laugh off Hetfield's silly vocals.
    edited March 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2180237 said:
    I have warmed up to Load. I now appreciate it as a solid rock album and learned to laugh off Hetfield's silly vocals.
    Funny... I'm actually currently listening to it.

Some tracks are great (Mama Said, Ain't my *****, Until it Sleeps, Hero of the Day), though there are a lot of so-so tracks. Seems like they only wanted to boast about how long of a cd they made.