Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2217370 said:
    That's a compliment of the greatest magnitude for me, haha. Thank you.
    Haha. It really does sound like a Zappa quote.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217334 said:
    This sounds like a Zappa quote ;)

Also, what is the best way to learn bass (planning on learning bass with my grandfathers acoustic bass)?
    Getting a teacher would certainly help with direction, and for me, it made a better, much better bassist for it.

Otherwise, I would recommend learning some music theory, at least a few scales and how roots work. Song wise start out a little bit easy since your hands have to get use to handling the bass, then try to up the difficulty a little bit more to improve your dexterity.

One more thing that's important to be a good bassist IMO is to learn how to keep time. Try to use a metronome while you practice.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    I plan to pick up the Acoustic Guitar, do you think 3 months of lessons over the summer will be enough for me to grasp the basics and then fly solo from then on out? I don't plan on doing anything intricate or shredding, etc., I plan only to learn so I can pursue my Folk and Dark Acoustic interests.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2217379 said:
    Getting a teacher would certainly help with direction, and for me, it made a better, much better bassist for it.

Otherwise, I would recommend learning some music theory, at least a few scales and how roots work. Song wise start out a little bit easy since your hands have to get use to handling the bass, then try to up the difficulty a little bit more to improve your dexterity.

One more thing that's important to be a good bassist IMO is to learn how to keep time. Try to use a metronome while you practice.
    I plan on not getting a teacher and found the bass so what would be easiest method without a teacher
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;2217375 said:
    Haha. It really does sound like a Zappa quote.
    I guess I'm listening to/reading too much of his stuff (though too much is not possible, haha).

Random Opinion: Kyuss is the best band to drive to.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Ultimatum;2217391 said:
    I plan to pick up the Acoustic Guitar, do you think 3 months of lessons over the summer will be enough for me to grasp the basics and then fly solo from then on out? I don't plan on doing anything intricate or shredding, etc., I plan only to learn so I can pursue my Folk and Dark Acoustic interests.
    yeah, i was taught my guitar basics in less time so i think you'll be alright.
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217398 said:
    I plan on not getting a teacher and found the bass so what would be easiest method without a teacher
    I recommend what I put down in the second and third line. That requires more dedication though, one quality I need to develop.
    edited April 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2217545 said:
    I recommend what I put down in the second and third line. That requires more dedication though, one quality I need to develop.
    When I start something I can stay really focused on it plan to learn how to play it by the end of next week (starting today)
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217576 said:
    When I start something I can stay really focused on it plan to learn how to play it by the end of next week (starting today)
    Ok, if you ever help with some music theory, I can sorta help so let me know if you do.
    edited April 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2217582 said:
    Ok, if you ever help with some music theory, I can sorta help so let me know if you do.
    the internet has many useful resources for people with who know how to use it :D
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited April 2009
    As far for DIY learning.

You figure it out or you don't. Simple as that.
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217597 said:
    the internet has many useful resources for people with who know how to use it :D
    http://www.bassplayer.com/

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/

http://www.songsterr.com/

Indeed. :)
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2217603 said:
    As far for DIY learning.

You figure it out or you don't. Simple as that.
    Thanks I think I can figure it out just played some basic chords I liked it :)
    edited April 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2217631 said:
    Thanks man like I said hoping by the end of the week to play Roundabout or Long Distance Runaround :D
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217659 said:
    Thanks man like I said hoping by the end of the week to play Roundabout or Long Distance Runaround :D
    Roundabout I could see with maybe more time, Long Distance Runaround, that's going to take a bit more time man. When I try to learn that song initially I failed pretty badly. :D Might be different now though, I probably should go back and learn that because that is one of his more simpler lines to learn.
    edited April 2009
    I think it's safe to say that the Butthole Surfers are my current obsession.
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2217709 said:
    I think it's safe to say that the Butthole Surfers are my current obsession.
    Melvins for me can not deny their influence in modern music
  • UneasyMonkeyUneasyMonkey Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217659 said:
    Lol, sorry, but no. You can easily learn the parts where Anderson is singing in Long Distance Runaround, but the rest of the song and almost all of Roundabout will take a while to play it at the right speed. If you know how to read tabs, try to learn some simple basslines like Another One Bites the Dust, Day Tripper, NIB, etc. And for Roundabout, if you want to play it properly, you'll need to use a pick cos Squire palm-mutes some notes in the main bassline. Otherwise, you can just play the open string. If you're barely picking up the instrument for the first time, definitely check out the online lessons in those links that were posted and/or About.com first. Those lessons will also suggest some simple tabs to songs to practice
    edited April 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2217708 said:
    Roundabout I could see with maybe more time, Long Distance Runaround, that's going to take a bit more time man. When I try to learn that song initially I failed pretty badly. :D Might be different now though, I probably should go back and learn that because that is one of his more simpler lines to learn.
    Lol yeah, even his "simple" basslines are hard to learn. He's crazy :D
    edited April 2009
    UneasyMonkey;2217717 said:
    Lol, sorry, but no. You can easily learn the parts where Anderson is singing in Long Distance Runaround, but the rest of the song and almost all of Roundabout will take a while to play it at the right speed. If you know how to read tabs, try to learn some simple basslines like Another One Bites the Dust, Day Tripper, NIB, etc. And for Roundabout, if you want to play it properly, you'll need to use a pick cos Squire palm-mutes some notes in the main bassline. Otherwise, you can just play the open string. If you're barely picking up the instrument for the first time, definitely check out the online lessons in those links that were posted and/or About.com first. Those lessons will also suggest some simple tabs to songs to practice
    :rolleyes:

I know it will take awhile it is just wishful thinking seriously what you just said really sounds jerkish (I should know I use to do that to RB3 setlists when I reviewed them)
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217716 said:
    Melvins for me can not deny their influence in modern music
    Melvins are always good.
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217728 said:
    :rolleyes:

I know it will take awhile it is just wishful thinking seriously what you just said really sounds jerkish (I should know I use to do that to RB3 setlists when I reviewed them)
    Well, yeah I guess the first sentence was me kinda being a "male organ." I thought you were completely serious about learning those songs in a week :eek:...The rest of that was just trying to be helpful; sorry if you took it the wrong way
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2217730 said:
    Melvins are always good.
    Buzz looks kinda weird live (saw from videos) in a good way though :D
    edited April 2009
    UneasyMonkey;2217742 said:
    Well, yeah I guess the first sentence was me kinda being a "male organ." I thought you were completely serious about learning those songs in a week :eek:...The rest of that was just trying to be helpful; sorry if you took it the wrong way
    I think JukeBoxHero gave me some good help and I understand I did the same thing yeah I could never master Squire's skills in a week
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2217756 said:
    Eh?
    Just when I saw him in the live vid. I thought he looked weird (mainly the hair), but in a way that actually made me think higher of him as a musician (okay does not make much sense after explaining it I know)
    edited April 2009
    Fizzeler;2217799 said:
    Just when I saw him in the live vid. I thought he looked weird (mainly the hair), but in a way that actually made me think higher of him as a musician (okay does not make much sense after explaining it I know)
    Yeah, Buzz's live stuff isn't that weird from what I recall.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Have you checked out their videos? Crazy stuff in a great way.
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2217826 said:
    Have you checked out their videos? Crazy stuff in a great way.
    Yes their music vids are interesting and good at the same time :)